X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Soldier of Macedon
    • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Risto the Great View Post
    The Vicho (now Vitsi) is the mountain where too many Macedonians were killed. Even Grkomani shut the hell up when they go through there. If ghosts exist, that place would be full of them.

It is extremely close to my Father's village (Kotori) and is used as a pathway from Lerin to Kostur.

Now the Americans have a base there. And you are not allowed to even take photos there. I suspect nuclear warheads aimed at the rest of Europe.

SoM, that song sounds so familiar and I am am perplexed at my emotional attachment once I read familiar places and themes in the song.
    Hi mate, you posted this on page 3 about 7 years ago (the MTO has been around for ages!). Anyway, your above post was in response to a song I had heard but didn't have a link to at the time. The song was about the Macedonians during and/or shortly after WWII and makes reference to Vicho Planina. Here are some links for this song:

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
    In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.

Comment

• vicsinad
      • May 2011

Originally posted by Soldier of Macedon View Post
      Hi mate, you posted this on page 3 about 7 years ago (the MTO has been around for ages!). Anyway, your above post was in response to a song I had heard but didn't have a link to at the time. The song was about the Macedonians during and/or shortly after WWII and makes reference to Vicho Planina. Here are some links for this song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80q9...EqeiSKY2fS-f_w
      Great song. The first Macedonian tune that I memorized. I would whistle this tune so often at the farm-school I taught at that even some of the kids would whistle it as they did their farm chores.

I jas kje se boram mamo
      za Makedonija
      za Makedonija mamo
      zemja izmachena
      zemja izmachena mamo
      od kleti fashisti

Comment

• Amphipolis
        Banned
        • Aug 2014

The Vicho (now Vitsi) is the mountain where too many Macedonians were killed. Even Grkomani shut the hell up when they go through there. If ghosts exist, that place would be full of them.

It is extremely close to my Father's village (Kotori) and is used as a pathway from Lerin to Kostur.

Now the Americans have a base there. And you are not allowed to even take photos there. I suspect nuclear warheads aimed at the rest of Europe.
        How on earth did you get that idea? Of course there's NO American base there or anywhere in Macedonia. There's only one American base in Greece and it is in Crete.

Comment

• Risto the Great
          • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Amphipolis View Post
          How on earth did you get that idea? Of course there's NO American base there or anywhere in Macedonia. There's only one American base in Greece and it is in Crete.
          It's what the locals tell me. What would they know, they even call themselves Greek now. And it was about 10 years ago that I was told. So who is there? It was heavily secured.
          Risto the Great
          MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
          "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com

Comment

• Amphipolis
            Banned
            • Aug 2014

It's what the locals tell me. What would they know, they even call themselves Greek now. And it was about 10 years ago that I was told. So who is there? It was heavily secured.
            (Retreating) No, they haven't lost it completely. The link includes a 1981 announcement of the Communist Party that refers to a ring of "bases", more likely secondary installations or spots related to the American bases; It includes a telecommunication base in Vitsi.

ΡΙΖΟΣΠΑΣΤΗΣ | Ημερήσια πολιτική εφημερίδα όργανο της ΚΕ του ΚΚΕ

Back then there were four American bases in Greece (two in Attica, and two in Crete) the major ones that the above text mentions first. The rest is a list of several things, some simple ones like radio stations, others more serious and interesting (base of nuclear rockets in Kilkis???) etc. I don't really know how accurate this is. It's possible there is misinformation, exaggeration or misuse of terms in this text. I couldn't find more.

Regarding what exists there now, there's some antenna installation of the Greek Army at

21 ° 22 ' 13 ''
            40 ° 36 ' 43 ''

which seems like the spot you described, but I don't really know if it the same thing as it has evolved or a different one. Can you find something through google earth?

Comment

• vicsinad
              • May 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80q9...EqeiSKY2fS-f_w
              Here is a short song about Vicho Planina. I don't have any recordings of it, just the lyrics and the notation:

Na Vicho ej Vicho Planina
              I vo Pozdivskata Ramina
              Ejj momi i momchina
              Momi i momchina krenaja pushki na ramo
              Da se bore za sloboda za Makedonija

Tamu e Gocheva brigada
              I fashistite od neja stradaja
              Ejj momi i momchina
              Vo grada Lerina vleze Gocheva druzhina
              Vo Kostura grada vleze Goceva brigada

Comment

• DraganOfStip
                • Aug 2011

Originally posted by vicsinad View Post
                Here is a short song about Vicho Planina. I don't have any recordings of it, just the lyrics and the notation:

I vo Pozdivskata Ramina
                Ejj momi i momchina

Tamu e Gocheva brigada
                Ejj momi i momchina
                Goceva brigada i fashisti?
                Avtoro gi ima zgreseno apcinjata izgleda
                ”A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims... but accomplices”
                ― George Orwell

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
                  • Sep 2008

Originally posted by DraganOfStip View Post
                  Goceva brigada i fashisti?
                  Avtoro gi ima zgreseno apcinjata izgleda
                  Didn't some Macedonian fighters from the WWII period name their brigades after earlier revolutionaries?
                  In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.

Comment

• DraganOfStip
                    • Aug 2011

Didn't some Macedonian fighters from the WWII period name their brigades after earlier revolutionaries?
                    Ah,that makes more sense.
                    I thought it was Goce Delcev and his fighters (Goceva brigada), but it was just a brigade named after him.
                    My bad,I haven't heard this song before.
                    ”A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims... but accomplices”
                    ― George Orwell

Comment

• vicsinad
                      • May 2011

It's from a book that was compiled in the 1960s. I haven't heard it either (except for playing it), but the chorus is a nice little melody. I also found it on my uncle's website (for which the link has been posted a few times before):

Comment

• vicsinad
                        • May 2011

Correction: the book was published in the 1970s.

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
                          • Sep 2008

Originally posted by vicsinad View Post

I vo Pozdivskata Ramina
                          Ejj momi i momchina

Tamu e Gocheva brigada
                          Ejj momi i momchina
                          When I initially read this I assumed that "Gocheva" instead of "Goceva" was a spelling error. However, having read some other sources, for example the report by Captain Evans from 1944, there is reference to a certain "Gotchi" (Goche), see below:
                          When in October 1944, Gotchi, as Capitanios and virtually commander of the 2nd Battalion of ELAS 28 Regt, was ordered to Vermion (Durla), he replied 'No, we are Macedonians and our place is here in Macedonia; that is what we are fighting for.' (Vermion is of course in Macedonia but it is I believe less Slav than the region of Vitsi where Gotchi's battalion was then stationed and where he had recruited it in the first place; and Gotchi's patridha is Vitsi). He then mutinied and went to Prespa, and later to Monastir (Bitola], his battalion with him.
                          So it looks like the song may have been about this character's brigade as opposed to a brigade named in honour of Goce Delcev. it's been a while but I am sure I have read about this "Goche" some time ago.

Comment

• vicsinad
                            • May 2011

Good find, SoM. I think the explanation you just offered is more likely.

Comment

• Vangelovski
                              • Sep 2008

There's a song that I've been trying to find for ages but I can't remember what its called or who wrote it. It came out in the early 90's, a patriotic one, something about the sonce waving in Solun, mentioned Mitsotakis by name (possibly also said something about his mother)...can't remember anything else only that I used to blast it through the whole street as a young fella. Anyone know the one I'm talking about?
                              If my people who are called by my name will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sins and restore their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14

The Revolution was in the minds and hearts of the people; a change in their religious sentiments, of their duties and obligations...This radical change in the principles, opinions, sentiments, and affections of the people was the real American Revolution. John Adams

Comment

• Vangelovski
                                • Sep 2008

Cancel that - I just found it:

Looking for the name of a Macedonian patriotic song that came out in the early 90's. Not sure if it was originally produced in Australia or Macedonia, but towards the end the lyrics included a call for the Macedonian flag to fly over Solun and I think there was a reference of Mitsotakis....I haven't heard the song for probably

I've asked this before. Thanks again EM
                                If my people who are called by my name will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sins and restore their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14

The Revolution was in the minds and hearts of the people; a change in their religious sentiments, of their duties and obligations...This radical change in the principles, opinions, sentiments, and affections of the people was the real American Revolution. John Adams

Comment

Working...
                                X