X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Selanec
    • Jun 2019

Documentaries about Macedonia?

Does anyone here know of any documentaries about Macedonia (history, culture, people, language, politics or any combination of the above)? A lot of the ones on youtube that I see are pro Greek and I can't seem to find any from Macedonia itself. I haven't had a chance to watch these ones yet but not sure if these are anything worth noting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAsAd8nBJuA (done by Macedonian students?)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTIBsUd8xa4 (the clip that shocked the Greeks?)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69pFD1XuU7E (Polish?)

I also began watching one called "The real story of Macedonia" but sadly its pro Bulgarian by the looks of it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13V_drT7Uak

If anyone has more information about the above or know of any others (produced outside or within Macedonia) I would love to see them. I don't mind if they are in Macedonian as I can understand the language.

Thank you!
  • Momce Makedonce
    • Jul 2012

This is a decent source for Macedonian documentaries

"The moral revolution - the revolution of the mind, heart and soul of an enslaved people, is our greatest task." Goce Delcev

Comment

• Selanec
      • Jun 2019

Originally posted by Momce Makedonce View Post
      This is a decent source for Macedonian documentaries

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUJ...EKd1SQw/videos
      Thank you Momce, these will keep me busy!

----

I ended up watching the 3 I posted earlier. The first one is done by Dutch students and they just chatted to the mladi of Macedonia in English.

The second one seems to be an old documentary that distinguishes ancient Macedonians from city state Greeks.

The third one was quite interesting - it is a documentary about the son of one of the "decata begalci" that got forced to live in Poland. It is quite good and glad to see Macedonian still being spoken in Greece (film was released in 2013).

Comment

• Amphipolis
        Banned
        • Aug 2014

Originally posted by Selanec View Post
        The third one was quite interesting - it is a documentary about the son of one of the "decata begalci" that got forced to live in Poland. It is quite good and glad to see Macedonian still being spoken in Greece (film was released in 2013).
        There's a lengthy discussion about this film here:

Comment

• Selanec
          • Jun 2019

Originally posted by Amphipolis View Post
          There's a lengthy discussion about this film here:
          http://www.macedoniantruth.org/forum...ead.php?t=8510
          Thank you amphipolis, glad to see people here already knew about the documentary.

Comment

• Dejan
            • Sep 2008

Apologies, didn't see this thread. Please remove the thread i created regarding the same video.

Watched this the other day, and thought some of the questions brought up were refreshing

Jesus Christ and the Macedonians

You want Macedonia? Come and take it from my blood!

A prosperous, independent and free Macedonia for Macedonians will be the ultimate revenge to our enemies.

Comment

• Karposh
              • Aug 2015

Hi Dejan. I watched the whole documentary on the weekend and I thought it was really well produced. It's a great collection of quotes from ancient and modern writers (particularly those from Josephus) regarding the Macedonian colonies that lived in the Holy Land around the time of Jesus.
              I actually had no idea that the most famous of Jewish religious holidays, Hanukkah, is celebrated to commemorate the Jewish revolt against Macedonian rule. I just assumed they made up a "Festivus for the rest of us" so they wouldn't feel left out during Christmas

What the documentary did do was to prompt me to read up on the Maccabees, Hanukkah and the Seleucid Empire. I was amazed to see that, in all the Wikipedia entries on these topics, not one mention is made of the Macedonians who lived in and ruled those territories over two thousand years ago. What I saw with my own eyes was confirmation of what the documentary makers have asserted themselves, that there is an injustice being done to the Ancient Macedonians by completely ignoring their contribution during this time and assigning it all to the "Greeks", "Hellenistic rule", and "Hellenism". Which is strange since Josephus, himself, separates the two colonising communities (Greeks & Macedonians) that lived in the Palestinian cities of Pella, Dion and Maked.

Another interesting point is the subtle description of the Macedonians (and Greeks) that lived during that time as described in the bible. The bible refers to the "gentiles" that lived among the Jews at that time but, for some reason, I never actually made the connection that the "gentiles" that it speaks of are the in fact the Macedonians. Also, it never really occurred to me that when Jesus drove the demons out from that possessed man and sent them into the nearby pigs, the reference was in regard to a non-Jewish community (Jews did not eat pork), most probably Macedonians.

What is also intriguing is that many Macedonians apparently accepted the Jewish faith over time and became part of the Jewish nation. The documentary goes on to draw comparisons between a typical Jew (with Semitic type of anthropological features) and the many millions of Jews who are clearly white and often with fair features. Not inconceivable to imagine that the ancestors of these white Jews are the ancient Macedonians themselves.

Comment

• Risto the Great
                • Sep 2008

Wow, now I want to watch. Thanks Karposh!
                Risto the Great
                MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
                "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com

Comment

• Dejan
                  • Sep 2008

Great summary Karposh. Yeah, i found the approach very refereshing, as it brings up Macedonian occupation of the Holy Land, which does seem to be an angle that has been neglected by everyone. Also found it interesting with the possibility of some of the characters having a Macedonian, or at least a balkan background - Herod and his family

I haven't watched part 2 yet though

A prosperous, independent and free Macedonia for Macedonians will be the ultimate revenge to our enemies.

Comment

• Risto the Great
                    • Sep 2008

Watched it and enjoyed it (except for the echoooeeed quotations).
                    Refreshing, logical and independent thought that will be discarded by the mainstream academics solely because they are whores.
                    Risto the Great
                    MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
                    "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com

Comment

• Karposh
                      • Aug 2015

Originally posted by Risto the Great View Post
                      Watched it and enjoyed it (except for the echoooeeed quotations).
                      Yeah, that bugged me too. As did the mispronunciations by the female narrator. I know that's probably being a little bit picky but, sometimes, the little things do matter.

Comment

• Dejan
                        • Sep 2008

lol the echoed quotes killed me also.

So close to being a great Macedonian documentary...

Comment

• Stojacanec
                          • Dec 2009

Yes, the echoed quotes were cringe worthy.

Comment

• Prespaneć
                            • Apr 2019

The name ‘Macedonia’ is disputed by two neighbouring nations. That may be about to change

Comment

• Prespaneć
                              • Apr 2019

Perth Born news correspondent Courtney Bembridge in a short bbc documentary. Another Australian with strong Macedonian roots.

Comment

Working...
                              X