Clear All
  • Soldier of Macedon
    • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Onur View Post
    Who is that "Karakasidou"???

"Karakasidou" means a person with Black eyebrows
    Onur,

Check the below link:

Here are some excerpts taken from a book written by Anastasia Karakasidou, a descendant of Turkish-speaking Christians that were settled in the modern Greek state during the 1920's. The author of the book had travelled to some regions in Greek-occupied Macedonia and recorded interviews and events concerning the local
    In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.

Comment

• Spartan
      • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Makedonetz View Post
      Onur Kazantitzis was a famous Pondi singer who was someone who sang from the heart and never really was reconized by the greek community.
      Kazantzidis is a legend in Greece...he was recognized, and then some.

Comment

• Mastika
        • Feb 2010

Gagauz people are believed to be descendant from early Cuman and Oghuz Turk immigrants to the Balkans. They are believed to be the only remaining Cuman Turks who still speaks Turkish today. Their Turkish accent is same as other Turkish speaking people in Balkans. Also they had Orthodox faith even before Ottoman Empire came to Balkans.

They have autonomous region called Gagauzia in Moldova with ~200.000 population(if i remember correctly). The newspapers are Turkish in there but some schools still have Russian education because of communism days. We(Turkey) are helping them for building schools, libraries and sending them teachers from Turkey because they are trying to get rid of Bolshevik influence with our help.

There are Gagauz people in other surrounding countries like in Turkey and Greece too. I don't know if the ones in Greece assimilated or not.
        The Gagauz people in Greece lived in the Ser region. I too am not sure if they have completely assimilated or not. Without any forms of recognition or promotion of the language, a group which started off with c. 4,500 members 100 years ago has probably completely assimilated into the surrounding Greek culture and langauge. They probably have become apart of the mainstream.

Osiris, there has been some opposition amongst the descendants of Pontic Greek refugees. Many of them still participate in Pontic based dances, organisation, songs, festivals etc. This is similar to the Egejci based events held in the Republic of Macedonia, and many people keep alive the specific customs of their ancestors. In both cases this can be seen as resistance to the mainstrem culture found in both countries.

As for something such as language, people at an individual level have tried to ensure that their children know Pontic Greek, and this is evident through many older people who only spoke this variety of Greek at home. However due to schooling, media etc. etc. these people of course generally lost their knowledge of Pontic Greek and speak the local variety. A similart thing has happened with many Egejci living in RoM where they have stopped using their local dialect and started to speak like the surrounding Macedonians, due to similar factors such as school, media, perceptions etc.

In the end the Pontics want to be more like Greek Greeks and less like Soviet or Turkish Greeks, this is more desirable. Many Macedonians however have no interest in becoming more like Greek Greeks and thus have resisted assimilation.

Comment

• Onur
          • Apr 2010

Greek and Armenian anti-Turkish alliance working hard to create false history. Now we got separate Pontian genocide apart from generic "Hellenic genocide"!

AND casualty numbers keeps increasing year by year. I guess they will reach 10 million in few years.

I think in few years they can even claim Greek cypriot genocide, why not?

We even got pictures and video evidence of Greek EOKA terrorists burning several Turkish primary school students alive and 20.000 Turks in death camps but this doesn't matter for them at all. I am sure they can even dare to say there was Greek Cypriot genocide as well.

91st anniversary of Pontian Greek Genocide to be commemorated in NY

The 91st anniversary of the of Pontian Greek Genocide will be commemorated in New York on Wednesday, May 19.

The event to be attended by representatives of the Greek, Armenian and Assyrian communities of the U.S. will feature a speech “From the Greek-Pontian genocide to the Turkish invasion of Cyprus” by Mrs Fanoulla Argyrou, Greek-Cypriot researcher, journalist and author coming from London.

The Pontian Greek Genocide (also known as the Hellenic Holocaust ) refers to the genocide on and deportation of ethnic Greeks by the Young Turk government in 1914-1922. Before the first World War, an estimated five million ethnic Greeks and Armenians lived throughout the territories that constitute modern-day Turkey. By 1923, at least 2.5 million had been massacred, with the rest fleeing for their lives to Greece and the then-USSR, or had been converted to Islam by force.

The Pontian Greek Genocide has been recognized by Greece, Cyprus and recently Sweden. In the United States numerous states and cities, including New York, have recognized the Genocide by resolutions or proclamations.

PanARMENIAN.Net
          Last edited by Onur; 05-29-2010, 08:57 AM.

Comment

• johnMKD
            • Apr 2010

Greek and Armenian anti-Turkish alliance working hard to create false history. Now we got separate Pontian genocide apart from generic "Hellenic genocide"!

AND casualty numbers keeps increasing year by year. I guess they will reach 10 million in few years.

I think in few years they can even claim Greek cypriot genocide, why not?

We even got pictures and video evidence of Greek EOKA terrorists burning several Turkish primary school students alive and 20.000 Turks in death camps but this doesn't matter for them at all. I am sure they can even dare to say there was Greek Cypriot genocide as well.
            Are you suggesting Onur that massive massacres did not happened by both sides during all wars? I think that of course they did. What would be correct to say is that both countries are eligible to claim that they are victims of genocide throughout the long-time war.
            Macedonian and proud!

Comment

• Onur
              • Apr 2010

Originally posted by johnMKD View Post
              Are you suggesting Onur that massive massacres did not happened by both sides during all wars? I think that of course they did. What would be correct to say is that both countries are eligible to claim that they are victims of genocide throughout the long-time war.

I think i wrote this here like 20+ times. All i said was; there was no one sided "genocide" like Greeks and Armenians claims and i completely agree to you about that we both suffered heavy casualties.

Check this link;

Comment

• Makedonetz
                • Apr 2010

Spartan wasnt he rediculed due to him being Pondi?
                Makedoncite se borat
                za svoite pravdini!

"The one who works for joining of Macedonia to Bulgaria,Greece or Serbia can consider himself as a good Bulgarian, Greek or Serb, but not a good Macedonian"
                - Goce Delchev

Comment

• Onur
                  • Apr 2010

I don't know the case with Kazantitzis but i watched several documentaries about Anatolian immigrants of Greece and Turkish media interviewed the ones who came to Turkey.

They were saying that after they arrived to Greece, Greeks namecalled them as "Tourkosporos" for a long time. Their elderly people stayed inside their homes `till they die and they couldn't integrated to the society because they couldn't speak Greek. Also whenever they go out, even Greek kids chased them by yelling and threw stones at them.

I know, even today Greeks uses the term "Tourkosporo" towards these immigrants as an humiliation. Also, there are several football clubs formed by Anatolian immigrants like "AEK" and when they do their own league games, opponent side`s supporters uses same terms to humiliate them.
                  Last edited by Onur; 06-04-2010, 07:35 PM.

Comment

• Makedonetz
                    • Apr 2010

Onur

Your right my mothers father was beaten by greek Andartites(sp) when he told them to get out of their villiage. She told me they spat on him calling him a filthy Turkos. Its obvious these people have been through some shit as they kept to themselves like you mentioned.
                    Makedoncite se borat
                    za svoite pravdini!

"The one who works for joining of Macedonia to Bulgaria,Greece or Serbia can consider himself as a good Bulgarian, Greek or Serb, but not a good Macedonian"
                    - Goce Delchev

Comment

• johnMKD
                      • Apr 2010

I don't know the case with Kazantitzis but i watched several documentaries about Anatolian immigrants of Greece and Turkish media interviewed the ones who came to Turkey.

They were saying that after they arrived to Greece, Greeks namecalled them as "Tourkosporos" for a long time. Their elderly people stayed inside their homes `till they die and they couldn't integrated to the society because they couldn't speak Greek. Also whenever they go out, even Greek kids chased them by yelling and threw stones at them.

I know, even today Greeks uses the term "Tourkosporo" towards these immigrants as an humiliation. Also, there are several football clubs formed by Anatolian immigrants like "AEK" and when they do their own league games, opponent side`s supporters uses same terms to humiliate them.
                      It is true that terms such "tourkosporos" were and are used for these immigrants (I know better ). But about elderly people being thrown stones at, it's the first time that I hear this. I know that they had to learn basic Greek in order to communicate. So almost everyone did it.

And yes, teams such as PAOK and AEK accept this kind of terminology. AEK is also sometimes referred to as "hanoumisses". ie. belly-dancers
                      Macedonian and proud!

Comment

• Spartan
                        • Sep 2008

^^Or "Tellaks", thats the new one, lol
                        Onur Im sure can explain the meaning of this word

Comment

Working...
                        X