Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • maco2envy
    • Jan 2015

Well, funny enough I received my ancestry dna results a week ago and I'm sort of baffled. There's no doubt that it's accurate since I made up a fake english name for myself and got an admixture I expected:

But the "DNA story" results are odd,

Don't worry I'm not a Arvanite lol. The radius of the circles correspond to the population density within those regions at the given time, rather than how much of a genetic mixture is shared:

It's just weird that I have some sort of genetic connection to people in Morea and even Cretens. I've got a feeling that they must have larger sample sizes for these regions and smaller samples sizes for places like RoM which maybe creating some sort of bias. But I too have had some connection with southern Albanians, and I doubt they have large sample sizes. I dunno. Pretty weird stuff tbh.

and btw my Y-DNA haplogroup is also J2a.

Comment

• Amphipolis
      Banned
      • Aug 2014

Where do your known ancestors come from?
      I'm expecting my results in 1-2 months (from a different company).

Comment

• maco2envy
        • Jan 2015

My parents are from the Ohrid region

Comment

• Amphipolis
          Banned
          • Aug 2014

That wasn’t very detailed. Can’t you go beyond that?

You know these locations are produced because your 5th-6th cousins (who are hundreds) inserted in the database their ancestor’ birth locations.

So did I, but I can’t go beyond 1850s or 1880s in some branches of my family. What I don’t get (and suspect their tool is simply wrong) is how do they know these are locations of the COMMON ancestors you have with your cousins?

Comment

• maco2envy
            • Jan 2015

Pretty sure my ancestors can be traced back to the same region from at least the 1800's. I'm not sure how it all works, I'll have to look into it. But I also have doubts.

Comment

• Carlin
              • Dec 2011

maco2envy, interesting - you got almost the same results as I did including the same haplogroup (although I do not have any "Turkey and the Caucasus" subregion in my ethnicity breakdown).

Amphipolis, I agree with you. I have significant doubts about how the "locations" of the so-called Common Ancestors are produced on the timeline map and their accuracy - back in time. I just called last week their support line (Twice) to ask that question but I did not get a satisfactory answer. It was just mumbo jumbo to me, and I did not get a straight answer. I suspect that these "location" points/dots might also change/improve in the future as (if) more and more people do the ancestry dna test.

What I can tell you is that I did some searching in ancestry records and I found a person with the same surname as myself who was a native of the Peloponnese, and migrated to the USA in the mid-19th century (my great-grandfather and those before him - before WW1 - actually wrote the surname in this same exact way, as I saw it written in the record). To me this was the most significant/interesting find, although I also found some people with the same surname from various areas of Epirus/Albania, Macedonia and even Thessaly. (Maybe the timeline points/dots are not all that inaccurate ... ) .

Comment

• julie
                • May 2009

#Macedonian referendum in Australia

The #Bojkotiram and #Boycott movement was a resounding success, both in Macedonia and abroad globally, with a global total of just 2785 diaspora who attended polling booths to vote for a name change for Macedonia

The Australian Macedonian diaspora numbered a total of 16 voters who attended the Embassies in Melbourne and Canberra to vote in the Referendum.

World Macedonian Congress Australia were present at both Embassies in civil peaceful protest acting as Independent observers on numbers who were attending to provide Macedonians a factual figure of how 500,000 Macedonians within Australia stood in regards to changing Macedonia’s name and identity.

The Embassies were attended in Melbourne by both Victorian state police and the Australian Federal police in Canberra who were called to remove the quiet peaceful protesters present.

SDMS news sites are reporting that Macedonia called the police to prosecute and arrest the civil protesters. They are also incorrectly stating that Macedonians have been imprisoned in Australia. This is incorrect and should be retracted and corrected by those news sites as defamatory against Australian Macedonians, and defamatory against Australian Rule of Law.

Australia is a true democracy, where the right to free speech and civil disobedience in the form of peaceful gatherings are legal. It is also legal to photograph and take videos outside of premises that have polling booths. These acts do not go against the Australian Constitution and the Macedonian SDMS government has zero powers to enact any Macedonian authority within Australia.

World Macedonian Congress Australia condemns in the strongest possible terms the defamatory and false allegations that there were any arrests, and calls on the SDMS news sites to correct these false reports. Police who attended were quite jovial with the protesters and saw no need to enact any such false arrests,
                "The moral revolution - the revolution of the mind, heart and soul of an enslaved people, is our greatest task."__________________Gotse Delchev

Comment

• macorules94
                  • Apr 2009

Well my results changed since the update slightly, no longer 8% Damascus

Dads side ancestors: Peshoshnitsa (Ammochori), Armenoro (Armenochori), Neokazi (Neochoraki), V'rbeni (Itea?) & Kastoria - Zivojno, & Germijan

Mums side: Kalimanci, Vinica, Delcevo, & Blagoevgrad

Comment

• maco2envy
                    • Jan 2015

Originally posted by macorules94 View Post

Dads side ancestors: Peshoshnitsa (Ammochori), Armenoro (Armenochori), Neokazi (Neochoraki), V'rbeni (Itea?) & Kastoria - Zivojno, & Germijan

Mums side: Kalimanci, Vinica, Delcevo, & Blagoevgrad
                    Are these from "DNA story" or can you actually trace back your ancestors to these regions?

Comment

• macorules94
                      • Apr 2009

Originally posted by maco2envy View Post
                      Are these from "DNA story" or can you actually trace back your ancestors to these regions?
                      From what my grandparents have told me. As far as I and they know the families have always been in those areas for hundreds of years and have always known to be Macedonian

Comment

• maco2envy
                        • Jan 2015

Interesting. Was there any indication of this with your ancestry dna results? i.e did 'DNA story' list any of those regions? Or are you also getting locations from southern Greece?

Comment

• macorules94
                          • Apr 2009

Originally posted by maco2envy View Post
                          Interesting. Was there any indication of this with your ancestry dna results? i.e did 'DNA story' list any of those regions? Or are you also getting locations from southern Greece?
                          Also showing locations from southern greece although has Kostur.

But I thought these trace regions were generic / telling a story of how people from those areas moved to USA in 1925 and not specific to me or us

Comment

• maco2envy
                            • Jan 2015

You're probably right, If you have some sort of genetic connection with anyone from Greece then all those regions which are exactly the same will appear.
                            Btw it would be interesting to see what someone from Serbia or Bulgaria got with regards to this.
                            Last edited by maco2envy; 09-30-2018, 03:54 AM.

Comment

• Carlin
                              • Dec 2011

I guess the above clearly confirms that the 'DNA story' timeline & Dots are completely generic, and applies to anyone who gets "Greece, Turkey & Albania" subregion in their ethnicity mix -- good to know.

macorules94 - and were you able to find out your Y-DNA haplogroup?

My update:

Why you're no longer 5% Portuguese: Ancestry explains DNA update

New testing methods better able to determine ethnic origins, genealogy company says

Anjuli Patil · CBC News · Posted: Sep 27, 2018

Ancestry, the popular genealogy website, is offering more explanation about why some customers who took DNA tests to learn about their ethnic backgrounds have seen some of their more surprising results disappear.

Barry Starr, the company's director of scientific communications, said Ancestry now has more "reference" samples from people who have long family histories in specific regions, and the algorithm it uses to compare results has also changed.

"As the science progresses, we're going to get more precise results, which means some of those what we called before low-confidence regions go away," he said in an interview from San Francisco.

When Colin Duggan, originally from Antigonish, N.S., took his test two years ago, it showed he was mostly Scottish and Irish, but noted five per cent from the Iberian Peninsula, which includes Portugal and Spain.

That blip disappeared from his results following an update from Ancestry Sept. 12. It turns out he's even more Irish and Scottish.

"For me, that's a pretty significant change," he said. "It's the little [results] that kind of give you that link to new parts of your identity."

Starr said the updated algorithm "makes us better able to more precisely put you into a certain ethnicity." This could explain why some people with European ancestry may have seen their ethnicities recalibrated.

"Europeans are actually pretty similar genetically, their history is migrations and taking over each other and all kinds of things ... they're not easy to tell apart," Starr said.

"And what's one of the great things in this new update is we're much better able to tell Europeans from one another and more precisely give them their European region."

More samples

Each DNA kit comes with a tube and directions to create an online profile with the site. Customers mail a saliva-filled test tube to the company's lab in Ireland. The results of the test are later posted to the profile.

Ancestry had previously termed some regions "low confidence" and always said a person's test results could change over time as methodology improves.

Starr said ethnicity estimates are compiled by comparing a customer's DNA to the DNA of people who have a long family history in a certain region of the world.

In the update this month, there was more DNA — 16,000 samples, up from 3,000 samples — to compare customer results.

While the company doesn't know how many people saw dramatic changes to their results, Starr said most of the feedback on the update so far has been positive.

"The vast majority were satisfied with the changes and many of them expressed that the changes better reflect the family history that they know," Starr said.

Duggan said he finds his new results more interesting.

"In general, to me, it seems like the product is more specific to what I provided them," he said.

Fascinated with genealogy
                              Reality television star Stephanie Saint Remy, who once appeared in the U.K. version of Married at First Sight, which matches people based on scientific methods like DNA, took the Ancestry DNA test more than two years ago.

Even though she hasn't seen the updated results, she isn't worried about what they'll show and plans to visit each country mentioned.

"I'm so fascinated with genealogy and DNA and general scientific advances," she said. "No matter what they say, even if it's a case where, oh, I'm not this culture, I'm that — I won't find it a disappointment because it's actually an advance in technology.

"It's not a case of they were wrong the first time, it's just a case that the science has kind of caught up."

URL:
                              The popular genealogy website is offering more explanation about why some customers who took DNA tests to learn about their ethnic backgrounds have seen some of their more surprising results disappear.
                              Last edited by Carlin; 09-30-2018, 06:18 AM.

Comment

• Amphipolis
                                Banned
                                • Aug 2014

I just got my results (I'm also expecting my mother's results within days)

Greek 73,3%, Balkan 8,9%, North & West European 7,9%
                                Ashkenazi Jewish 3,2%, West Asia 2,7%, East European 2,1%, Iberian 1,9%

Comment

Working...
                                X