X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Phoenix
    • Dec 2008

Bibliomania & Other Good Reads

What are you guys reading that you found interesting or wouldn't wipe your arse with, if it was in reach...

I found a pretty good read at my local post office, it was one of those 'alpha-male shit' things but interesting.
    The book was called 'Undaunted', written by Hugh O'Brien and its his own story from clearance diver in the RAN to being a member of the Tactical Assault Group East and subsequent contract security work in Iraq.
    The book appealed to me because I know a couple of people who have done/do similar work but they rarely talk about it unless you get them on the piss...anyways, not something that will appeal to all but interesting in light of our post 9/11 world.

'The Rise and Fall of Australia' by Nick Bryant was an interesting view of modern Australia as seen from the perspective of BBC journalist who was working in Oz...he covers many aspects of modern Australia...its culture, politics, economy and the dynamic nature of its identity...he is particularly critical of our most recent stable of politicians and argues that Australia has been very lucky from an economic perspective that the Hawke/Keating/Howard governments have insulated Australia from global turmoil largely by solid policy reform and that the governments of Rudd/Gillard/Abbott are merely a shadow of the previous reformers...interesting reading...

I need to move onto 'The Australian Moment' by George Megalogenis who covers the politics of that period in greater detail, that is if I can get through this bloody book on Islam that I recently started, I can't seem to keep up with all of Mohammed's wives...

I generally prefer to read non-fiction, perhaps historical or auto/biographical in nature but I'm looking to tackle 'The Divine Comedy', Clive James version of the Dante Alighieri masterpiece.
    I'll just work my way through one canto at a time, researching each as I go along...looking forward to that one.
  • Risto the Great
    • Sep 2008

he is particularly critical of our most recent stable of politicians and argues that Australia has been very lucky from an economic perspective that the Hawke/Keating/Howard governments have insulated Australia from global turmoil largely by solid policy reform and that the governments of Rudd/Gillard/Abbott are merely a shadow of the previous reformers
    So very true
    Risto the Great
    MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
    "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com

Comment

• Macedonian
      • Oct 2013

I am reading an interesting book which I can suggest to a lot of you on here. It is called 'The Balkans' by Mark Mazower. It fails however on the account of 6th - 7th century Slav Invaders but at the same time does not detract from Macedonia's uniqueness and identity. Worth a read as it is also only short and you'll smash it out in a day or two.

Comment

Working...
      X