X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Phoenix
    • Dec 2008

Interesting views on Macedonia

Not sure if this has been posted previously, interesting reading and views about Gruevski and Macedonia from a few years ago that still ring very true today...

The section on Macedonia starts from p.95 of the pdf...

• Gocka
    • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Phoenix View Post
    Not sure if this has been posted previously, interesting reading and views about Gruevski and Macedonia from a few years ago that still ring very true today...

The section on Macedonia starts from p.95 of the pdf...

http://www.iss.europa.eu/uploads/med...and_the_EU.pdf
    Interesting read, but a few things that stuck out.

It was hard to tell whether the author was just anti Gruevski and pro opposition, or pro SDSM, because at times I felt like he might have tipped SDSM as a better option, at a minimum I dont think I saw one instance where he criticized SDSM, so that made me wonder a little bit.

Most of what he wrote about was well researched but I have to say there was a bit of sensationalism about it. He over exaggerated the reach of VMRO, and its ability to be as controlling as was implied through out. There is no doubt that which ever party is in control relies heavily on cronyism, and nepotism, but at times the things he claimed were a bit far fetched.

I did think he was spot on when talking about how Gruevski walks a fine line with the international community and the name issue, and also how he is in bed with the albanians at home.

He made good points and I think most of it is true, but maybe and varying levels and not to the degree that was portrayed.

Comment

• Phoenix
      • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Gocka View Post
      Interesting read, but a few things that stuck out.

It was hard to tell whether the author was just anti Gruevski and pro opposition, or pro SDSM, because at times I felt like he might have tipped SDSM as a better option, at a minimum I dont think I saw one instance where he criticized SDSM, so that made me wonder a little bit.

Most of what he wrote about was well researched but I have to say there was a bit of sensationalism about it. He over exaggerated the reach of VMRO, and its ability to be as controlling as was implied through out. There is no doubt that which ever party is in control relies heavily on cronyism, and nepotism, but at times the things he claimed were a bit far fetched.

I did think he was spot on when talking about how Gruevski walks a fine line with the international community and the name issue, and also how he is in bed with the albanians at home.

He made good points and I think most of it is true, but maybe and varying levels and not to the degree that was portrayed.
      You're right Gocka, the article is heavily opinion based and that aspect is also acknowledged at the start of the relevant chapter on Macedonia.

Something that struck me as interesting was the highlighting of the disturbing trend in political apathy that many Macedonians are showing through their political indifference, where ever increasing numbers of Macedonian respondents to surveys are replying as "don't know" or "not interested" when questioned about political matters within the country.

Often the "don't know" or "not interested" folk are the majority in any given survey...I think that goes a very long way to understanding the ills inflicting Macedonia today, whilst at the same time it perpetuates those very ills...

Comment

• makedonche
        • Oct 2008

Originally posted by Phoenix View Post
        You're right Gocka, the article is heavily opinion based and that aspect is also acknowledged at the start of the relevant chapter on Macedonia.

Something that struck me as interesting was the highlighting of the disturbing trend in political apathy that many Macedonians are showing through their political indifference, where ever increasing numbers of Macedonian respondents to surveys are replying as "don't know" or "not interested" when questioned about political matters within the country.

Often the "don't know" or "not interested" folk are the majority in any given survey...I think that goes a very long way to understanding the ills inflicting Macedonia today, whilst at the same time it perpetuates those very ills...
        So Deltchev was right then?
        On Delchev's sarcophagus you can read the following inscription: "We swear the future generations to bury these sacred bones in the capital of Independent Macedonia. August 1923 Illinden"

Comment

• Risto the Great
          • Sep 2008

An interesting read indeed.
          The Albanian moniker "Demokratura" for this kind of combination of democracy and dictatorship seems appropriate. So any fools who believe Grujo is doing his best, need to understand he IS the problem and NOT the solution. His power in Macedonia makes him more responsible than anyone for the misery that is perpetuating in the country.

Before anyone says other political parties are worse, it simply isn't the point.

The point is that Gruevski is pretty much doing what he pleases. And it shouldn't please Macedonians.

But what do they know.
          Risto the Great
          MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
          "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com

Comment

• George S.
            • Aug 2009

he seems to be well aware what he is doing for better or worse time will tell.Both the media & people aren't what they seem well discerning.Gruevski is really doing what he feels is right & hopes that pleases most people.But that's not allways the case.
            "Ido not want an uprising of people that would leave me at the first failure, I want revolution with citizens able to bear all the temptations to a prolonged struggle, what, because of the fierce political conditions, will be our guide or cattle to the slaughterhouse"
            GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• skeletor
              • Feb 2013

Originally posted by Risto the Great View Post
              An interesting read indeed.
              The Albanian moniker "Demokratura" for this kind of combination of democracy and dictatorship seems appropriate. So any fools who believe Grujo is doing his best, need to understand he IS the problem and NOT the solution. His power in Macedonia makes him more responsible than anyone for the misery that is perpetuating in the country.

Before anyone says other political parties are worse, it simply isn't the point.

The point is that Gruevski is pretty much doing what he pleases. And it shouldn't please Macedonians.

But what do they know.
              He and VMRO are definitely the problem, and they fooled people into believing that real change was going to happen, BUT to ever think that SDSM or Branko could be a "solution" is insane infact there is probably nothing worse. The only thing that can save this country is if all the Wealthy diaspora come together and fund a real revolution/honest party while living in MK. But realistically thats not going to happen

Comment

Working...
              X