X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Orion
    • May 2009

Originally posted by makedonin View Post
    Risto, I think that XP v.s. Ubuntu are almost on the same level.

But XP it self is stable OS, thus good OS unlike the Vista shit.
    - A standard ignorant misconception among people , but ok lol.

Comment

• Orion
      • May 2009

I knew you know it

By now we have very good drivers. What I hope is that we will get more support for drivers from the hardware vendors.

Till now it is mostly community based drivers, but if the vendors care to support and maintain their own drivers for their products, would be even more better.

Than the Windows might lose much of it's users

We will see, Ubuntu is kicking ass for now.
      Unlikely. It's not about the drivers but about who dominates most on the gaming and multimedia scene if we are talking about home use.
      Linux and all other unix like clones will need to work hard to get gaming and better multimedia support if they want inside the game

Comment

• Orion
        • May 2009

Welcome Artemi.

Thanx for sharing your desktop with us. Your desktop is typical Vista desktop, hard to modify and very dangerous if you try it with themes which are full with malware.

Bist du Comic fan!?
        Ich schließe dies aus deinem Desktop wallpaper!
        Ich mag Manga and Anime

Grüß dich
        Actually it isnt hard to modify it at all.
        Malware ? Most custom themes do not contain malware especially those that are manually installed, and it is very easy to protect from one.

Comment

• makedonin
          • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Orion View Post
          - A standard ignorant misconception among people , but ok lol.
          Welcome Orion.

Can you elaborate more please.
          To enquire after the impression behind an idea is the way to remove disputes concerning nature and reality.

Comment

• makedonin
            • Sep 2008

Actually it isnt hard to modify it at all.
            Malware ? Most custom themes do not contain malware especially those that are manually installed, and it is very easy to protect from one.
            Well if you say so. I never managed it. And for writing my own theme, I don't really have interest or time.

As for the malware, if there are themes that are free to download and with out malware, can you please share some of them.

I didn't really managed to find any, not that I did a hard look for it

I guess you are windows fan, do I get the picture!?

I don't see any problem in that....
            To enquire after the impression behind an idea is the way to remove disputes concerning nature and reality.

Comment

• makedonin
              • Sep 2008

Unlikely. It's not about the drivers but about who dominates most on the gaming and multimedia scene if we are talking about home use.
              Linux and all other unix like clones will need to work hard to get gaming and better multimedia support if they want inside the game
              That is true, but we are catching up very quickly don't you think so.

Unix and later Linux were not meant to be a gaming console for along time. The purpose was whole different than windows.

But times change, and who knows, some day the monopoly may be down.

I don't really need a PC for gaming though. I had Atari when I was still in the gaming
              Last edited by makedonin; 05-28-2009, 03:39 AM.

Comment

• Orion
                • May 2009

It's interesting Makedonin how you say " WE "
                Are you a member of Linux development team ? :P

No, I am not a Windows or Linux fan but however operating systems are related to my job.

What i said about the misconception is the reason why people don't like Vista and because of that they label it as " shit " .

People are not used to the new interface and the new security features that Vista has and it seems strange or weird, plus the operating system got a bad reputation because it was on PURPOSE made to be slow on older machines so that people buy new ones.

These issues will be resolved with the minor upgrade that Microsoft is going to release - the NT os / kernel version 6.1 ( windows 7 ) which is minor upgrade from os 6.0 ( Vista )

Vista is not much a user friendly operating system but if you tweak the advanced settings it can be pretty much awesome OS.
                That is why people avoid it and wait for Windows 7.

Comment

• makedonin
                  • Sep 2008

It's interesting Makedonin how you say " WE "
                  Are you a member of Linux development team ? :P
                  I did some coding, but not for Kernel or stuff.

No, I am not a Windows or Linux fan but however operating systems are related to my job.
                  That is indeed interesting. In which dominion, may I ask ?

Are you developer, or more like maintaining OS ?

I only have some basic understanding of Linux OS Kernel and how it handle things. Have done few minor OS related programing, but not much. Have more to do with application development.

What i said about the misconception is the reason why people don't like Vista and because of that they label it as " shit " .

People are not used to the new interface and the new security features that Vista has and it seems strange or weird, plus the operating system got a bad reputation because it was on PURPOSE made to be slow on older machines so that people buy new ones.
                  I find the Vista interface dull. I have got it with a PC, pre installed. The security features of Vista are more like simulation to me, than real security features.

You may agree with me, they tried to imitate Unix for that matter, but it will remain to an imitation.

And for the PURPOSE you are talking, I can agree completely with you. It is typical Microsoft, don't you think?

These issues will be resolved with the minor upgrade that Microsoft is going to release - the NT os / kernel version 6.1 ( windows 7 ) which is minor upgrade from os 6.0 ( Vista )

Vista is not much a user friendly operating system but if you tweak the advanced settings it can be pretty much awesome OS.
                  That is why people avoid it and wait for Windows 7.
                  Well, I won't change my mind about Vista, no matter how does it sound. Vista is only resources consuming, and offers little for that.

We will see what windows 7 will bring about.
                  Last edited by makedonin; 05-28-2009, 04:53 AM.

Comment

• Orion
                    • May 2009

No i am not a developer , I'm system builder / repair / network and server administrator.
                    HP ASP, A+ , Microsoft MCP, MCTS , MCITP certifed. Currently working on my Linux certs.

I do agree about the imitation on the security but only on user controll access feature which is a workaround for " run as " on older version.

About the other security i dont agree that is simulation because since the times of NT Workstation systems this was quite advanced and based with similarity on UNIX model with more added features.

Vista interface is dull yes compared to what Linux can do with new versions of X server and my favourite : Compiz fusion addons for virtually modding awesome themes, but however i view the interface of Vista as more compact and simple.

And yes it was on purpose , Microsoft TOLD us directly in the eyes to all attendants on the Vista conference that by selling Vista we will sell new hardware.

About the resource consumption it isn't true as it is deception. My system runs with 80% of the resources completly free.

There are several ways to control the Vista system resource usage , you can even set it to work exactly like XP !
                    The misconception about the resources is coming from the "superfetch" service and it can be controlled to a ways that will boost performace incredibly but depends on the type of system you got.

Comment

• makedonin
                      • Sep 2008

No i am not a developer , I'm system builder / repair / network and server administrator.
                      HP ASP, A+ , Microsoft MCP, MCTS , MCITP certifed. Currently working on my Linux certs.
                      That is interesting. I am looking forward in your input if there are questions. But all in time.

Vista interface is dull yes compared to what Linux can do with new versions of X server and my favourite : Compiz fusion addons for virtually modding awesome themes, but however i view the interface of Vista as more compact and simple.
                      Compiz fusion is cool, but don't really need it. Bouncing windows are all I need

About the resource consumption it isn't true as it is deception. My system runs with 80% of the resources completly free.

There are several ways to control the Vista system resource usage , you can even set it to work exactly like XP !
                      The misconception about the resources is coming from the "superfetch" service and it can be controlled to a ways that will boost performace incredibly but depends on the type of system you got.
                      I never got in that much. I twicked Vista on some services, but still have 1.1 GB of RAM used even though I don't run any application.

But since you are certified on this, I will take you for a word.

I assume, twicking Vista to run with same resources as XP will result in giving up much of the new Desktop look,wouldn't it?

Comment

• Orion
                        • May 2009

No, that depends on you.
                        I run both Windows and Linux operating systems no matter of how their performance is but based on enthusiasm.

Having 1.1 GB ram is poor for Vista especially with superfetch preloader enabled.
                        I could only advise here to terminate superfetch, disable indexing and system restore on all drives and disable windows defender.
                        It should boost performance a little and make system resource usage like XP except that Vista will consume about 200 - 300 MB ram more than XP by default.

So never give up on the old good desktop you like, better run both for fun or stick to the one that gives you a smooth operation.

Comment

• makedonin
                          • Sep 2008

So never give up on the old good desktop you like, better run both for fun or stick to the one that gives you a smooth operation.
                          I already stick on Linux desktop, haven't used Vista for a long time. Only at work I have XP...

As for the rest, it was my curiosity. But disabling those features you mention just for some performance gain, than I would say stick to XP, which just proves my opinion about Vista.

Thanx for your input Orion, I appreciate it.

Comment

• Orion
                            • May 2009

Yeah, as I said , sadly, Vista is only good on powerful machines
                            Bad trick pulled out by MS.

No problem , anytime
                            I'll try to post my desktop screen later when i get back home.

Comment

• makedonin
                              • Sep 2008

I'll try to post my desktop screen later when i get back home.
                              That would be interesting. I look forward......

Comment

• Daskalot
                                • Sep 2008

Here is my desktop on one of my laptops, this one is running Vista, but all unneeded stuff from Vista is turned off so it pretty much does look like Windows 2000....

Enjoy!

Macedonian Truth Organisation

Comment

Working...
                                X