Edinstveni Makedonski Zborovi - Unique Macedonian Words (postable)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Soldier of Macedon
    • Sep 2008

If anybody has a suggestion on how to better the translation or interpretation of the unique words in the locked thread, let us know so we can discuss. On some of them I have just given the meaning in the way I would use them in a sentence.
    In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
      • Sep 2008

Originally posted by makedonin View Post
      Of course it does.

it comes from Puva or Pufa > poop and describes the process of becoming like the smell of the poop

that is why it sound so disgusting.........
      I think in the Aussie lingo it means something far worse, or better depending on who is saying/doing what, lol
      In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.

Comment

• malenka
        • Sep 2008

We use spuftosa to describe something that got deflated. Think of making a cake, and while it bake it grows and grows, you take it out of the heat and down it goes. Spufta se.

Another one is for tripping and falling. Ko se spuftosam po stepenicite, celata sam modrenici.

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
          • Sep 2008

For deflated we say Tushi, which I guess may be related to Dishi (breath).

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
            • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Soldier of Macedon View Post
            Skorni seems to be unique in Macedonian also by the looks of it, most other Slavic langauge use some form of Razdubi.
            Malenka, do you guys use this word, or would you know if Bulgarians use this word?

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
              • Sep 2008

I thought the word Lupi (peel) was unique, but one other Slavic-speaking group uses it, the Slovenians. I have heard several times about the unique words and characteristics shared by Macedonian and Slovenian, perhaps we can begin to compile a list of such words and figure out why they exist in those two places only.

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
                • Sep 2008

Can we add another two to the list, Skorni (wake up) and Barai (seek)? Some opinions.

As the list of words gets bigger, which it inevitably would, we can begin to add the names of the regions in Macedonia where they are commonly used (if applicable to the word, as many are used across all Macedonia).

For example, Chupe (Girl) - Kostur, Lerin, Bitola, Prilep, etc

Comment

• malenka
                  • Sep 2008

Skorni is a word we use for waking up.
                  -Skorni me rano utre.

Od koren teglenje, t.e se iskorenuvam.

I found this in Bulgarian dictionary, so they use it too.
                  Скорвам, скорна – събуждам се (буквално, изкоренявам)

and also used for:
                  скорни - обувки

I think it is used in Russia too, from the word скора, which means skin, so to say скорни means to describe something made of leather.

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
                    • Sep 2008

Ok, we can count that one out then, thanks Malenka.

If you notice any of the other words that we have up which also appear in other Slavic languages, please let us know so we can discount them. Also, if you come up with any unique Macedonian words, post them here so can continue to increase the list.

Comment

• makedonin
                      • Sep 2008

Barai for Find is a unique word........

Barai
                      Baram
                      Barash

etc.
                      To enquire after the impression behind an idea is the way to remove disputes concerning nature and reality.

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
                        • Sep 2008

I will add it to the list.

Comment

• malenka
                          • Sep 2008

I will add the word ѕемне(dzemne) which means to be cold, to freeze. - Stapalata mi dzemnat. - Dzemne skitajki vo nokta.

It is not in the other Slavic languages, but if anyone can check for other origins. I am almost sure it is ours only.

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
                            • Sep 2008

I use it all the time in the following manner, "kolku studi be, idzemnav". The Bulgarians have a word which is зъзна and it means to shiver, they look reasonably close, what do you think, are they connected?

How about the word Akni (Slam, Hit), as in "pazi oti ke si ja aknish glaata", do the Bulgars or Serbs use it too? I remember the old man chasing me when I was a kid saying 'ko ke te fatam ke te aknam od zemi', lol.

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
                              • Sep 2008

How about Tocak for a bike? Anybody else use it? It doesn't seem present among other Slavic-speakers after running a brief search.

Comment

• malenka
                                • Sep 2008

I would say the words for freezing or being cold are different. My only thought is if it has anything to do with Turkish, were i am totally unfamiliar.

As for the word акни, I think that is ours, not found in the slavic languages. Акни го и тој на листата

Comment

Working...
                                X