X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Risto the Great
    • Sep 2008

Rates go up again

Dec. 1 (Bloomberg) -- Australia’s central bank raised its benchmark interest rate by a quarter percentage point for an unprecedented third straight month as evidence mounts that the nation’s economy is strengthening.

Reserve Bank Governor Glenn Stevens increased the overnight cash rate target to 3.75 percent from 3.5 percent in Sydney, as forecast by 19 of 20 economists surveyed by Bloomberg News. One forecast no change.

The economy has entered a “new upswing” that will last several years, boosted by rising consumer confidence and China’s demand for resources such as iron ore from BHP Billiton Ltd. House prices have climbed 10 percent this year, employment rose in October, and investment is forecast to surge in projects such as Chevron Corp.’s Gorgon liquefied natural gas field, recent reports show.

“I don’t think it’ll be lost on the board that 3.75 percent is still exceptionally stimulatory,” Adam Carr, a senior economist at ICAP Australia Ltd. in Sydney, said ahead of today’s decision. “It’s a rate that will continue to provide significant ongoing support to an economy that will probably be firing on all cylinders in 2010.”

Stevens said today the bank’s three rate increases will “work to increase the sustainability of growth in economic activity and keep inflation consistent” with his target range of 2 percent to 3 percent “over the years ahead.”

First Time

The Australian dollar fell to 91.59 U.S. cents at 2:42 p.m. in Sydney from 91.71 cents just before the decision was announced. The two-year government bond yield dropped 4 basis points to 4.27 percent. A basis point is 0.01 percentage point.

“Growth in 2010 is likely to be close to trend and inflation close to target,” Stevens said.

The increase is the first time the central bank has raised borrowing costs at three straight meetings, boosting the rate from a half-century low of 3 percent. By contrast, officials in the U.S., U.K. and Europe have kept their benchmark lending rates at historic lows this year.

Speculation that Stevens would continue to lead the world in raising rates has stoked this year’s 32 percent surge in the nation’s currency, making it the best performer among the 16 major currencies against the U.S. dollar.

Investors bet there was a 76 percent chance that Stevens would increase the benchmark rate by a quarter-point today, according to Bloomberg calculations based on interbank futures on the Sydney Futures Exchange at 11:51 a.m.

Dubai Turmoil

Today’s decision also suggests policy makers were unmoved by the turmoil last week on global stock and credit markets after Dubai World, one of the emirate’s three main state-related holding companies, said it’s seeking to delay payments on $59 billion of debt.

“It is now 18 years since Australia has experienced a negative in year-ended gross domestic product growth, a very prolonged expansion,” central bank Deputy Governor Ric Battellino said last week. “It is reasonable to assume that we will see this growth extended for a few more years yet.”

A report published earlier today showed China’s manufacturing growth held at the fastest pace in 18 months in November, aiding the rebound of the world’s third-biggest economy and Australia’s largest iron ore customer.

Australia’s economy expanded 1 percent in the first half of the year and is forecast by the Reserve Bank to grow 3.25 percent next year and in 2011. Third-quarter gross domestic product figures will be published on Dec. 16.

Mortgage Repayments

Still, this year’s interest-rate increases add about A$150 to monthly repayments on an average A$300,000 home loan, and may prompt consumers to trim spending that surged in the first half of the year after Prime Minister Kevin Rudd’s government distributed more than A$20 billion to households.

Consumers could “shut down” if borrowing costs are raised too quickly, said Ivan Hammerschlag, chairman of RCG Corp., which operates sporting shoe retailer The Athletes Foot, according to today’s Australian Financial Review. “Mortgage rates are still low, but I think the consumer forgets that.”

“There’s a real risk if monetary policy is normalized too quickly that parts of the economy will start to weaken,” Nomura Australia Ltd. senior economist Stephen Roberts, the one analysts to forecast no change today, said prior to the announcement.

“They don’t have too much economic growth and they don’t have a compelling inflation smoking gun,” he said. “They should move slowly.”

Inflation Slows

Inflation cooled to the slowest pace in 10 years, gaining in the third quarter by an annual 1.3 percent, after advancing 1.5 percent in the previous three months. Policy makers aim to keep inflation between 2 percent and 3 percent on average.

Building approvals unexpectedly dropped in October for the first time in five months, and manufacturing grew in November at a slower pace as companies reported fewer new orders and a faster decline in inventories, reports today showed.

Stevens is under pressure to raise borrowing costs as a rebound in demand for commodities such as iron ore, coal and gas prompts energy companies to increase spending.

Companies surveyed by the Bureau of Statistics in a report published on Nov. 25 forecast investment of A$105 billion in the year ending June 30, 2010, which is 5.9 percent more than they estimated three months earlier.

Rio Tinto Group and BHP Billiton boosted iron-ore production to a record in the third quarter to satisfy Chinese demand for steel, which helped exports surge 5 percent in September.

The nation’s single biggest investment project, the A$43 billion Gorgon natural-gas venture involving Chevron, Exxon Mobil Corp. and Royal Dutch Shell Plc, will create as many as 10,000 jobs when construction starts early next year, Chevron said on Sept. 14.
    I think this was a stupid move. Artificial stimulation still exists in our economy with the soon to expire investment allowance. We will have a much better idea about our economy in Feb/Mar 2010. A third rate rise could have waited until then.
    Risto the Great
    MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
    "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com
  • George S.
    • Aug 2009

Isn't it grand the treasurer wayne swann stated that there has been an improvement in the economy.So what does he do increases the interest rate.He takes from ordinary hardworking people & gives it to the banks.The Banks get richer how is that going to fix the economy.I'm allready paying heaps on a stretched budget my wages didn't go up.So next time i'm not going to vote labour.What's the alternative there just as bad.When they bring the carbon tax i think i'll leave oz alltogether & go to an island where there's no tax.The land of milk & honey does not exist anymore.it should be the land of taxstralia.
    "Ido not want an uprising of people that would leave me at the first failure, I want revolution with citizens able to bear all the temptations to a prolonged struggle, what, because of the fierce political conditions, will be our guide or cattle to the slaughterhouse"
    GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• Bij
      • Oct 2009

george - get a better job that pays more or manage your money better.

interest rates go up, interest rates go down. let's all get over it and move on

Comment

• Rogi
        • Sep 2008

George S, invest in property.

Also, with all due respect, it is not the Treasurer who increases the rates, it is the Reserve Bank and the banks themselves who pass it on (or double it up, like Westpac just did).

Comment

• Bij
          • Oct 2009

here is an economic tip from bij for aussies.

set yourself up a self managed super fund. buy yourself a warehouse that will make something from 9-11% return a year. take out a loan for the difference between what is in your super fund and what the warehouse will cost you. deposit it in to your self managed fund (you will get some tax back on this). the rent money you get will go straight in to your super, and continue to contribute payments as per normal.

and then give bij a really nice bottle of wine for her free financial advice

Comment

• Prolet
            • Sep 2009

Interesting Bij

This is a nice Christmas Present from the Reserve bank, the timing couldnt have been even better.

Rogi, How do you invest in a property at such high interest rates?? You wanna get a farm in the bush somewhere?? Even if you get an average house in Preston you're looking at a million bucks, its too expensive in the inner city.
            МАКЕДОНЕЦ си кога кавал ќе ти ја распара душата,зурла ќе ти го раскине срцето,кога секое влакно од кожата ќе ти се наежи кога ќе видиш шеснаесеткрако сонце,кога до коска ќе те заболи кога ќе слушнеш ПЈРМ,кога немаш ни за леб,а полн си во душата затоа што ја сакаш МАКЕДОНИЈА. МАКЕДОНИЈА во срце те носиме.

Comment

• Bij
              • Oct 2009

average houses in preston are a million bucks now? since when?

Comment

• Prolet
                • Sep 2009

Bij, Too right its bloody expensive down there even if you go up north its a rip off, The reality is that in order to make a solid profit you need to purchase a property in the inner city of Melbourne from 2-10 km away from the city. However if you do that its going to be very expensive those who bought properties in the late 90s caught the last train, now you pretty much have to sell something in similar value in order to buy there.

Im talking about a 3 bedroom house ofcourse the average Aussie home life style, if you go to Thornbury,Northcote its even more expensive.
                МАКЕДОНЕЦ си кога кавал ќе ти ја распара душата,зурла ќе ти го раскине срцето,кога секое влакно од кожата ќе ти се наежи кога ќе видиш шеснаесеткрако сонце,кога до коска ќе те заболи кога ќе слушнеш ПЈРМ,кога немаш ни за леб,а полн си во душата затоа што ја сакаш МАКЕДОНИЈА. МАКЕДОНИЈА во срце те носиме.

Comment

• Rogi
                  • Sep 2008

Preston median price is around $600,000 - $650,000. Hardly a million.

Comment

• Prolet
                    • Sep 2009

Rogi, Where do you buy a property then?? You mentioned it earlier

Comment

• Risto the Great
                      • Sep 2008

The rates are still quite low, but that is not the point. The policy is a blunt attempt to fine tune the economy. It might be dangerous if they maintain this attitude. The Westpac rate rise of almost double the official rise is an ominous sign of things to come. The 4 banks own Australia now and will carry on unimpeded unless legislation is enacted. And the Government made them this powerful by virtually wiping out the competition on the big bank's behalf.
                      Risto the Great

Comment

• George S.
                        • Aug 2009

i think i'll become an accountant & fakethe booksor cook them
                        "Ido not want an uprising of people that would leave me at the first failure, I want revolution with citizens able to bear all the temptations to a prolonged struggle, what, because of the fierce political conditions, will be our guide or cattle to the slaughterhouse"
                        GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• Rogi
                          • Sep 2008

The ACCC will likely be looking into the Banking industry more actively and perhaps in the way they've been investigating the Petrolium industry.

That said though, it all does depend on whether the recommendations of the ACCC are followed and legislation is drafted and enacted to prevent all this collusion.

Comment

• Risto the Great
                            • Sep 2008

I don't think the ACCC will have any impact whatsoever with the banks. I can't believe the Westpac thing. CBA barely lost a cent in the entire global financial crisis and now owns even more market share. They will match Westpac soon enough. ANZ is hungry for a bit of market share because they have been asleep for a while so will hang a little lower. NAB will probably line up with CBA.
                            Risto the Great

Comment

• Prolet
                              • Sep 2009

Risto, In your opinion whats the best way to beat these interest rate hikes? Rogi mentioned investing in properties however thats a bit too expensive whos got $650k to spare with interest rates rising?

Comment

Working...
                              X