• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chicagoan
    Banned
    • Nov 2009

Prespes Lakes

Well, it seems that the atmosphere between our politicians may be taking a turn for the better. Its good to see them unite for enviromental purposes which involves all of us regardless of race or ethnicity.

Do anyone of you have pics you can upload of the prespes lakes ? I heard very nice things about that area..

----------------------------------------------------------------

Three Balkan countries agree to protect shared wetland

www.chinaview.cn 2009-11-28 0655 Print

TIRANA, Nov. 27 (Xinhua) -- The leaders of Greece, Albania and Macedonia agreed Friday to step up their efforts in protecting the eco-system in the Lake Prespes region shared by the three countries.

Greek Prime Minister George Papandreou, Albanian Prime Minister Sali Berisha and their Macedonian counterpart Nikola Gruevski agreed at a meeting in a lake-side village on the Greek side to sign an agreement on this issue.

The agreement is expected to be signed on Feb. 2, 2010, on the 10th anniversary of the joint communique first signed by the three countries on Feb. 2, 2000, to protect the Lake Prespes region eco-system.

"We believe that our joint activity will contribute to boost awareness on the importance of coordinated policies on environment-related issues in the region and beyond," reads the joint declaration adopted by the three leaders ahead of the forthcoming Copenhagen summit on climate changes.

The three countries also promised to promote bilateral and multilateral cooperation in water management, take prevention measures against pollution and soil erosion, as well as promote the viable management of biodiversity in the region.

The three prime ministers also voiced their support for an international agreement at the upcoming UN international summit on climate change in Copenhagen.  
  • Risto the Great
    • Sep 2008

Greece with the financial resources it has extracted from the EU through deceit and manipulation should be setting the environmental example in the region. Instead the local water supplies of Northern Greece have questionable integrity (unhealthy levels of arsenic comes to mind) and the attitude to the environment is deplorable. Lets hope Greece will mature and become more responsible soon.
    Risto the Great
    MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
    "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com

Comment

• chicagoan
      Banned
      • Nov 2009

Yes, we do have a lot of resources from the EU. Corruption is a problem..no argument there. We could do better with the money we receive. I like Papandreou though..he seems like he has a good head on his shoulder. I dont know about the local water quality, but in general we have a healthy enviroment in the rural areas. I have never been in that area so I dont know much about it. I have been to Epirus and its absoluty stunning out there.

Comment

• George S.
        • Aug 2009

isn't Greece from her side polluting is it the doiran lakes & they refused to stop???Apparently they been doing it for years & ignored the request from its neighbour Macedonia to clean up their act.
        "Ido not want an uprising of people that would leave me at the first failure, I want revolution with citizens able to bear all the temptations to a prolonged struggle, what, because of the fierce political conditions, will be our guide or cattle to the slaughterhouse"
        GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• Risto the Great
          • Sep 2008

Originally posted by chicagoan View Post
          Yes, we do have a lot of resources from the EU. Corruption is a problem..no argument there. We could do better with the money we receive. I like Papandreou though..he seems like he has a good head on his shoulder. I dont know about the local water quality, but in general we have a healthy enviroment in the rural areas. I have never been in that area so I dont know much about it. I have been to Epirus and its absoluty stunning out there.
          Yeah, I have been there. I know about the local water quality amongst other things. You have not but you tell others to travel there to know the "reality". Perhaps you should drink your own medicine chicago and stop lying on behalf of the Greek team.
          Risto the Great
          MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
          "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com

Comment

• chicagoan
            Banned
            • Nov 2009

I dont get you....il take your word for it if you say the water is crap.
            I dont have to travel for that.

Comment

• George S.
              • Aug 2009

Apparently the water is so bad that it kills the fish & anyone swimming in the water can get really sick.I think the greeks have been polluting the lake with sewerage,otherpoison wastes without a care.Chicagoan you sticking up for the Greek Government like that when reality bites you on the arse.The Greeks don't give a damn about the environment they just want to look good for the media.How can you stick up for the government when it cares jack shit about the environment.Also no one is twisting your arm you should be free to express yourself.You know more than you are letting us know.
              Last edited by George S.; 11-28-2009, 05:21 PM. Reason: edit
              "Ido not want an uprising of people that would leave me at the first failure, I want revolution with citizens able to bear all the temptations to a prolonged struggle, what, because of the fierce political conditions, will be our guide or cattle to the slaughterhouse"
              GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

Working...
              X