X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TrueMacedonian
    • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Frank View Post
    The next person who calls our flag a "Star" I will personally kill and bury in a two meter concrete hole
    Frank here's a definition of the word "Sun" seeing as I am assuming you mean that the "Star of Kutlesh" should be referred to as "Sun of Kutlesh";

Definition, Synonyms, Translations of sun by The Free Dictionary

sun (sn)
    n.
    1. often Sun A star that is the basis of the solar system and that sustains life on Earth, being the source of heat and light. It has a mean distance from Earth of about 150 million kilometers (93 million miles) a diameter of approximately 1,390,000 kilometers (864,000 miles) and a mass about 330,000 times that of Earth.
    2. A star that is the center of a planetary system.

Sun or Star? How about both?
    Slayer Of The Modern "greek" Myth!!!

Comment

• TrueMacedonian
      • Jan 2009

Actually I was wondering if someone has a detailed account of the process of how the Star (Sun for some) of Kutlesh became the countries flag.

Comment

• Vangelovski
        • Sep 2008

Originally posted by TrueMacedonian View Post
        Actually I was wondering if someone has a detailed account of the process of how the Star (Sun for some) of Kutlesh became the countries flag.
        I think someone like Aleksandrov or Indigen would know much more, but it had strong grassroots support across the diaspora, particularly in Australia. If memory serves correct, I think there was some national agreement of Macedonian organisations across Australia in the 80's to use the sonce. Further, I'm aware of many patriotic activists in Macedonia who had accepted the sonce as a national symbol since the late 70's.
        If my people who are called by my name will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sins and restore their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14

The Revolution was in the minds and hearts of the people; a change in their religious sentiments, of their duties and obligations...This radical change in the principles, opinions, sentiments, and affections of the people was the real American Revolution. John Adams

Comment

• Dejan
          • Sep 2008

It is not just a star or a sun. It is the Sun. The Earth's Sun
          You want Macedonia? Come and take it from my blood!

A prosperous, independent and free Macedonia for Macedonians will be the ultimate revenge to our enemies.

Comment

• Phoenix
            • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Dejan View Post
            This is where it starts to get a bit messy, it might not be a symbol of OUR Sun, the earliest astronomical depictions of stars and sun symbolism in ancient cultures are actually the earliest observations of the planet Venus/Ishtar by civilizations in Mesopotamia...the symbol of Ishtar is an 8 pointed star...

if my memory serves me correctly the original symbol used by the Ancient Macedonians was an 8 pointed/ray star...the additional 8 rays were added during Alexander the Greats reign as a symbol of the 'brilliance' of his reign and empire...

Regardless of the absolute facts on this matter there is absolutely no doubt about the widespread use of both 8 and 16 ray sun symbols throughout Macedonia, even the much maligned current state flag has obvious roots in this tradition and a relationship to sun/star symbolism of the Macedonian people through the centuries...

Comment

• indigen
              • May 2009

Originally posted by Phoenix View Post
              Originally Posted by Dejan View Post

A star is called a "sun" if it is the center of a planetary system.

This is where it starts to get a bit messy, it might not be a symbol of OUR Sun, the earliest astronomical depictions of stars and sun symbolism in ancient cultures are actually the earliest observations of the planet Venus/Ishtar by civilizations in Mesopotamia...the symbol of Ishtar is an 8 pointed star...
              Worth further investigating your point but SUN WORSHIP is one of the earliest forms of religious worship amongst early human society and long pre-dating the Argead Macedonian Dynasty. What is noteworthy, though, is that the (Macedonian) Sun symbol (in its various depictions - 8, 16 and other ray formats) appears to have became the symbol of the Macedonian state.

if my memory serves me correctly the original symbol used by the Ancient Macedonians was an 8 pointed/ray star...the additional 8 rays were added during Alexander the Greats reign as a symbol of the 'brilliance' of his reign and empire...
              That is what we see on the coins and the burial caskets from Kutlesh (aka Vergina) but look at some other archaeological sites pre-dating this era from Mesopotamia and the like, you will see that similar symbols are also in use there.

Regardless of the absolute facts on this matter there is absolutely no doubt about the widespread use of both 8 and 16 ray sun symbols throughout Macedonia, even the much maligned current state flag has obvious roots in this tradition and a relationship to sun/star symbolism of the Macedonian people through the centuries...
              The much maligned (and so IT SHOULD BE for what it does (and does NOT) represent!) "current state flag" is an SDSm-modified stylised sun symbol and nothing more. The PRM/SRM/RM "Coat of Arms" also contains a stylised sun. And if you consider a star to be a sun, then the old SRM Communist Flag also contained a "sun" - the five-pointed star.

Modified Macedonian SUN on Flag of Macedonia (adopted in August 1992).

Last edited by indigen; 09-23-2010, 11:55 PM.

Comment

• TrueMacedonian
                • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Vangelovski View Post
                I think someone like Aleksandrov or Indigen would know much more, but it had strong grassroots support across the diaspora, particularly in Australia. If memory serves correct, I think there was some national agreement of Macedonian organisations across Australia in the 80's to use the sonce. Further, I'm aware of many patriotic activists in Macedonia who had accepted the sonce as a national symbol since the late 70's.
                What about the citizens of Macedonia? Did they have a say or a vote on this symbol being their nations flag? And if so what other choices did they have to choose from and how were these choices picked out?

Comment

• Vangelovski
                  • Sep 2008

What about the citizens of Macedonia? Did they have a say or a vote on this symbol being their nations flag? And if so what other choices did they have to choose from and how were these choices picked out?
                  I don't have all of the details around this, but I think the Parliament of the day chose the flag. Although this is not an ideal case, the difference between this particular case and the case of the ventilator is that it was a Macedonian initiative (i.e., no foreign involvement) and the Government and Parliament of the day were freely elected as opposed to having rigged the elections .
                  Last edited by Vangelovski; 09-24-2010, 12:17 AM.
                  If my people who are called by my name will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sins and restore their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14

The Revolution was in the minds and hearts of the people; a change in their religious sentiments, of their duties and obligations...This radical change in the principles, opinions, sentiments, and affections of the people was the real American Revolution. John Adams

Comment

• indigen
                    • May 2009

FYI: The members of first democratically elected (despite all the obstacles) Macedonian Parliament, elected in 1990 multi-party elections, were tasked with many national duties and one of those was choosing a new state flag, coat of arms and national hymn. That is how it was chosen (by a majority vote of elected MPs). They had a parliamentary committee tasked for this role and they then asked for design submissions and after much wheeling and dealing, they voted for the modified ("Sonchogled") 16-ray Macedonian Sun design.

The following interview (in Macedonian) with Todor Petrov sheds some light on the issue:

Интервју со Тодор Петров, претседател на Светскиот Македонски Конгрес

ЗЕМСКИОТ ГРБ НА МАКЕДОНИЈА ЗА ДРЖАВЕН ГРБ НА РЕПУБЛИКА МАКЕДОНИЈА Е ОДГОВОРЕН ОДНОС СПРЕМА СОПСТВЕНАТА КУЛТУРА И ИСТОРИЈА!

[...]

Колку што се знае, Вие бевте предлагач и на Законот за знаме на Република Македонија донесен на 11 август 1992 година?

Петров: Неспорен факт е дека апликацијата на македонското шеснаесет-зрачно златно-жолто сонце на црвена основа на државното знаме на Македонија утврдено на 1 август 1992 година беше предложена од независниот пратеник во првиот повеќепартиски Парламент на Република Македонија, Тодор Петров. Заедно со останатите двајца независни пратеници, Ефтим Манев и д-р Димитар Трпеновски, пратеникот Тодор Петров беше медијатор меѓу пратеничките групи за постигнување парламентарно мнозинство за донесување на законите за грб и знаме на Република Македонија. Тогаш сите пратенички групи се изјаснија за шеснаесет-зрачното златно-жолто сонце за симбол на знамето и грбот на Македонија, освен пратениците на ПДП кои гласањето го условуваа со барањето на граѓаните припадници на националностите, името и презимето во матичните евиденции и личните карти и пасошите да им биде испишувано и на јазикот и писмото на националноста на која припаѓаат. Тоа сега е веќе апсолвирано прашање.

Меѓутоа настана куршлус во гласањето?

Петров: На седницата на Собранието на Република Македонија одржана на 11 август 1992 година прво се донесе Законот за химната на Република Македонија и Законот за знамето на Република Македонија. Меѓутоа, при гласањето по Законот за грбот на Република Македонија, пратениците на ВМРО-ДПМНЕ, иако претходно беше постигната согласност, не гласаа за законот за грб на Република Македонија и така Собранието законот за грб не го донесе.

Остана да се применува стариот грб на Македонија до денес?

Петров: Македонија де јуре нема државен грб. По инерција се применува грбот на СРМ, меѓутоа, факт е дека Република Македонија денес нема официјален државен грб. Во членот 8 од Уставниот закон за спроведување на Уставот на Република Македонија е утврдено дека Законот за грбот ќе се донесе најдоцна во рок од шест месеци од денот на прогласувањето на Уставот, а до донесувањето на законот ќе се применува грбот според Уставот на СРМ од 1974 година. Имајќи предвид дека Уставот на Република Македонија е прогласен на 17 ноември 1991 година, шесте месеци поминаа веќе одамна, односно на 17 мај 1992 година, а Собранието не успеа да го донесе овој закон. Собранието не го промени Уставниот закон кој е составен дел на Уставот затоа што ја операционализира реализацијата на одделни одредби на Уставот, и формално-правно од 17 мај 1992 година, Македонија де јуре нема државен грб. Затоа и не е аплициран на пасошите. Тогашниот министер за внатрешни работи имаше образложение - кога ќе се донесе, новиот грб да се втисне дополнително на насловните страници на пасошите, меѓутоа, до денес грбот не се донесе и останавме без грб на кориците на пасошите.

Затоа никој не одговара?

Петров: Па одговорни се и Владата и Собранието што не ја отстранија употребата на грбот според Уставот од 1974 година, или не го изменија Уставниот закон за да го продолжат рокот на донесувањето на законот за грбот, односно за да ја продолжат примената на грбот според Уставот од 1974 година. Тоа прашање никој и не го покренува. Исто како што Парламентот работи неуставно по Деловник според Уставот од 1974 година кој кореспондира со еден друг општествено-политички систем и претставува минато свршено време, само што сите молчат и Господ знае што чекаат. Затоа во конфликтни ситуации се решава ад хок, според волјата на мнозинството во моментот.

По фијаското од 11 август 1992 година, имаше ли други предлози за донесување Закон за грб на Република Македонија?

Петров: Да, да, имаше. Само јас поднесов двапати закон за грб на Република Македонија, со предлог Собранието да го прифати земскиот грб на Македонија за државен грб на Република Македонија. И тогаш автор на истото идејно решение за државен грб на Република Македонија (кој и сега се предлага) беше проф.д-р Мирослав Грчев, редовен професор на Архитектонскиот факултет во Скопје. Не е никаква тајна дека иницијативата за утврдување на земскиот грб за државен грб на Република Македонија потекна од Тито Петковски. Јас требаше само да бидам медијатор меѓу пратеничките групи за обезбедување парламентарно мнозинство. Предлогот, за државен грб на Република Македонија да биде утврден земскиот грб на Македонија, златно-жолт обоен лав, исправен на двете задни нозе и свртен кон десно, со мала петкрака круна над главата и со двокрака опашка свртена нагоре, на црвен триаголен штит, како идејно решение на проф.д-р Мирослав Грчев, го потпишаа претставници на сите пратенички групи, освен на ПДП. Не е никаква тајна, исто така, дека во парламентарната расправа сите пратенички групи и ВМРО-ДПМНЕ и СДСМ и ДП и ВМРО-ДП и ЛП, сите изјавија дека лавот е земски грб на Македонија и дека треба да биде утврден за грб на Република Македонија. Меѓутоа и тој закон ја доживеа судбината како и многу други недонесени закони и незавршени седници на првиот парламентарен состав. Заврши мандатот на пратеничкиот состав од 1991-1994 година и предлогот се адактира. Во вториот парламентарен состав имаше предлог на пратеникот Никола Поповски, кој предлагаше за грб да биде утврден државниот грб од 1974 година со бришење на ѕвездата петокрака.

Меѓутоа?

Петров: Меѓутоа и тој предлог заврши како и првиот. Никогаш не се постави на дневен ред и вториот парламентарен состав тоа прашање не го апсолвира.

[.....]

https://www.popovashapka.com/Intervj...r%20Petrov.doc

Comment

• Bratot
                      • Sep 2008

The Star of Kutlesh was chosen with parlamentary vote.

Since you are very interested about the Macedonian sun/star symbols I will have to open a new thread.
                      The purpose of the media is not to make you to think that the name must be changed, but to get you into debate - what name would suit us! - Bratot

Comment

• Bratot
                        • Sep 2008

Invitation to the thread: Secrets of Macedonian civilization

I would like to recomend watching this Russian documentary first and than a deep diving into this thread: Тайна славянской цивилизации Год
                        The purpose of the media is not to make you to think that the name must be changed, but to get you into debate - what name would suit us! - Bratot

Comment

• Rogi
                          • Sep 2008

TM, The Macedonian sun, as a flag, was widespread in use well before it became the official flag in 1992. Here are just a couple of videos

Macedonians protesting in Australia, 1988:
                          YouTube - Macedonian protest in Australia

Foundation Meeting of VMRO-DPMNE in 1990:
                          Note: This party won the election that followed, receiving more Macedonian votes than any other party, but did not form Government (due to refusal to form coalition with the Albanian separatists):
                          YouTube - VMRO DPMNE 1990 OSNOVACKO SOBRANIE TANE MARKOSKI
                          YouTube - VMRO DPMNE 1990 OSNOVACKO SOBRANIE STRUGA TANE MARKOSKI

Comment

• sydney
                            • Sep 2008

Rogi,
                            who is the chap speaking in the first video?

Comment

• iskra
                              • Jun 2010

Originally posted by Rogi
                              That is long-time activist Jim Anton, who unfortunately passed away in October, 2007. Bog da go prosti.
                              Actually it is Jim Thomev and as far as I know, he is alive.

Comment

• sf.
                                • Jan 2010

I'm going off memory here, but it was 20 odd years ago. During Yugoslavia days, the Kutlesh symbol was largely unknown in Macedonia, and off course ignored by the authorities since its symbolism didn't quite fit in with the pre-existent communist ones. And before any Greek reading this jizzes themselves in exitement, the symbol was just as ignored and unknown in Greece, outside the archaelogy and history community, which back then was smaller than the few million today.

Prior to the flag being officially chosen, I vaguely remember one of the parties promoting it, whether VMRO or MAAK. I can also vaguely remember it being waved at public rallies.

The important thing to remember is that once it was chosen by parliament, it was readily and gladly adopted by the general population.

I also remember that they wanted to select a new anthem. Several proposals were suggested and heard in parliament (all of them sounded somber and funereal) before it was decided that the current anthem was actually pretty good.

On the coat of arms, I believe VMRO wanted the lion symbol, but this was rejected as it was seen as a party symbol (a decision I agree with), and the decision was postponed.
                                Integrity without knowledge is weak and useless, and knowledge without integrity is dangerous and dreadful. - Samuel Johnson (1709-1784)

Comment

Working...
                                X