Edinstveni Makedonski Zborovi - Unique Macedonian Words (postable)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • batispecela
    • Oct 2011

Originally posted by Дени View Post
    I think because the vast majority of Latin and Greek-derived words are newly loaned from German (and sometimes English and French) and are treated as such, and I can't really think of any Old or Medieval Latin verbs in Macedonian.

Take инсталира and креира for example. They are both ultimately from Latin (installare, creare), but they entered Macedonian via German (installieren, kreieren). An unrelated but similar case is филозофија: some linguists in Macedonia want to reform its spelling and have философија because ζόφος means 'darkness' and therefore филозофија would mean the 'love of darkness'. This is of course folk etymology because we know that 1) this word was taken into Macedonian in modern times from either German or French where both have /z/ and 2) the sigma becomes /z/ in Macedonian in most environments anyway.

Actually, yes. Where Macedonian has -ира, Serbian and Croatian usually have -isati.

From the Turkish hepten.

Latin words in Macedonian from Roman times include "Vidi" (Latin meaning to see/look) and Gjemili (dzemili in latin meaning twins). Gjemili used to be more widely used from older Macedonian texts I have read however due to shift and more widely use of the codified language "Bliznaci" has been replaced over it.

There are plenty of Latin words from Roman times still i our language but we have grown to not realise these words. I'll try and post these words but they are just not coming ot mind atm.

Another word which may only be in Macedonian or yet again be a Greek or Latin originated word due to the region I come from, "Spili" is used for a pile of rocks or sometimes a cliff. Pila in Latin means column or in normal italian a stack (hence a stack of rocks). However stone/s in Greek and Latin is "petra'. Therefore the word 'Spila' could mean exactly as translated.. A pile of rocks

Comment

• dekapentaugoustos
      Banned
      • Feb 2013

Originally posted by batispecela View Post
      Pila in Latin means column or in normal italian a stack (hence a stack of rocks). However stone/s in Greek and Latin is "petra'. Therefore the word 'Spila' could mean exactly as translated.. A pile of rocks
      In ancient Greek pilos (πίλος) means hat, and mostly this type of hat that looks like a pile (other types of hats had different names). Modern Greeks do not use ANY word (close to 'spila' or not) for a pile of rocks.

The word pylon (πυλών) also comes to mind. While it started refering to the egyptian gateway of this type

it ended up meaning cone or what we know today as:

Last edited by dekapentaugoustos; 03-26-2013, 01:29 PM.

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
        • Sep 2008

Anybody else heard of or used the word коцкандо (little), as in коцкандо бебе? I was speaking to a friend from Prilep and he says they use кокицко as an equivalent word. Interested to know its origin and if it is unique to Bitola.
        In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.

Comment

• Tomche Makedonche
          • Oct 2011

Originally posted by Soldier of Macedon View Post
          Anybody else heard of or used the word коцкандо (little), as in коцкандо бебе? I was speaking to a friend from Prilep and he says they use кокицко as an equivalent word. Interested to know its origin and if it is unique to Bitola.
          We say Коцко
          “There’s a time when the operation of the machine becomes so odious, makes you so sick at heart, that you can’t take part, you can’t even passively take part, and you’ve got to put your bodies upon the gears and upon the wheels, upon the levers, upon all the apparatus and you’ve got to make it stop, and you’ve got to indicate to the people who run it, to the people who own it, that unless you’re free, the machine will be prevented from working at all” - Mario Savio

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
            • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Tomche Makedonche View Post
            We say Коцко
            Yes, we say that too. Is your family also from the Bitola region?
            In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.

Comment

• Tomche Makedonche
              • Oct 2011

Originally posted by Soldier of Macedon View Post
              Yes, we say that too. Is your family also from the Bitola region?
              Mariovo, Kajmakchalan area, although you could also classify it as Bitolsko Mariovo
              “There’s a time when the operation of the machine becomes so odious, makes you so sick at heart, that you can’t take part, you can’t even passively take part, and you’ve got to put your bodies upon the gears and upon the wheels, upon the levers, upon all the apparatus and you’ve got to make it stop, and you’ve got to indicate to the people who run it, to the people who own it, that unless you’re free, the machine will be prevented from working at all” - Mario Savio

Comment

• Risto the Great
                • Sep 2008

Add Lerinsko
                Risto the Great
                MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
                "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com

Comment

• DraganOfStip
                  • Aug 2011

If anyone is interested,there's a new macedonian website that involves slangs from different regions and explains it's meanings.Most of them have satirical description but nonetheless it's an interesting and funny read,we might actually learn words we never heard in our language.
                  Link: http://zargon.mk/
                  ”A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims... but accomplices”
                  ― George Orwell

Comment

• vicsinad
                    • May 2011

Ova mi beshe smeshno:

Фиромјанин

Човек-патриот што става слики со сонцето од вергина и карта на Голема Македонија на Фејсбук, а летуе у Грчка и од страв лаже дека е од Србија.

Comment

• DraganOfStip
                      • Aug 2011

Originally posted by vicsinad View Post
                      Ova mi beshe smeshno:

Фиромјанин

Човек-патриот што става слики со сонцето од вергина и карта на Голема Македонија на Фејсбук, а летуе у Грчка и од страв лаже дека е од Србија.
                      Da,ima nogu takvi komicni izrazi,no i nogu drugi zborovi koi stvarno se koristat niz Makedonija so prvpat gi gledam.Nogu korisen sajt u sekoj slucaj.
                      ”A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims... but accomplices”
                      ― George Orwell

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
                        • Sep 2008

Originally posted by vicsinad View Post
                        ova mi beshe smeshno:

Фиромјанин

Поправилно требаше и да пиши:

Исто така, човек-лажен-патриот кои клава слики од вентилаторот и се гордеј кога Македонија е претставена како ФИРОМ пред светот.

Comment

• TheNikoWhiteIch
                          • Oct 2014

Kratok Bitolski Rechnik od "pelanet.mk" stranata

чупе – девојче

стило – пенкало

чакмак – запалка

соба – печка (за греење)

сабасаба – рано наутро

поќе – повеќе

чактисва – сфаќа, разбира

одма – веднаш

оти? / оти – „Зошто?“ / „Затоа што“

матуф / дида – луд

аџеле – итно

апансас – изненадно, брзо

набафтана – згора, преку, невнимателно

такуѓере – полош / полоша

усул / исав – осет

љуфна – промаши

шубе – сомнеж

стипса – стегнат (за материјални работи)

форес – стрвост

од немукает – од непромисленост

инкер – малер

крлешка – лулашка

шуќур – фала богу, конечно, алелуја

кркма – шишка

терсене – комплициран, тежок за ракување

загоритенџере – некој шо е изгубен во просторо и времето, забораен

чакати – пари

бучкуруш – хаос

дупнимандало – итар

лапниголтни – наивен

ленгир – линиар

режало – острилка за моливи

пајнца – чинија

јанглаш – се користи кога некој не е во право („Јанглаш си“)

ќенеф – полско WC

збоктисано – преку глава

дрндлест – зборлест

муфте – гага, за беспари

уљандисан – загрижен, разочаран, вознемирен

џам – стакло, прозорец

ексик – (по ѓаволите?)

ѕунѕурки – лампиони

му се бендиса – му се допадна

I've always said "ленир" for "ruler, straightedge" but "ленгир" is close enough haha
                          Краток Битолски речник

Comment

• Rogi
                            • Sep 2008

I think the word "карпа" is really interesting. It means a large rock or rock formation and as far as I could find is not a word used by the Serbians, Bulgarians or Greeks.

Then you take something like the Carpathian mountains (which really are rocky mountains), which is the toponym by which they were known at around 100AD and the word becomes even more interesting as a uniquely Macedonian word.

Comment

• Selanec
                              • Jun 2019

This thread has been interesting reading.

Not sure if its on topic, but I found really interesting the "made up language" some majstori or selani used. The saying in our family is that they did it so the Turks wouldn't understand them.

I found this on the Maceonian wikipedia:

And here is the pdf: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/F...1%80%D0%B8.pdf

Does anyone know of any other regions of Macedonia where made up languages or secret languages were used?

Comment

• Liberator of Makedonija
                                • Apr 2014

Originally posted by TheNikoWhiteIch View Post

оти? / оти – „Зошто?“ / „Затоа што“
                                We say this in Kostur as well.

Originally posted by Selanec View Post
                                This thread has been interesting reading.

Not sure if its on topic, but I found really interesting the "made up language" some majstori or selani used. The saying in our family is that they did it so the Turks wouldn't understand them.

I found this on the Maceonian wikipedia:

And here is the pdf: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/F...1%80%D0%B8.pdf

Does anyone know of any other regions of Macedonia where made up languages or secret languages were used?
                                That is really interesting, had never heard about this.
                                I know of two tragic histories in the world- that of Ireland, and that of Macedonia. Both of them have been deprived and tormented.

Comment

Working...
                                X