X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kompir
    • Jan 2015

A renewed push for Australia to become a republic

I don't know what has brought it on, but there seems to be a renewed push for this place to become a republic. Granted this is an op ed piece by Turnbull, he goes over the options being considered:

The questions no one in the lamestream media are asking are:

- why the renewed push for a republic now?
    - will all legal (and royal) ties be cut with the UK should a republic be declared?
    - in the event of all ties being cut with the UK, what happens to the whole country being "vested in the crown"?
    - will any real reforms be made to governance in this country should a republic be declared or is this a purely ceremonial in intent?
    Доста бе Вегето една, во секоја манџа се мешаш
  • Liberator of Makedonija
    • Apr 2014

The declaration of a republic will be the result of a natural political progression in Australia: one of the contributing factors to federation was to curb the republican movements in the-then various colonies
    I know of two tragic histories in the world- that of Ireland, and that of Macedonia. Both of them have been deprived and tormented.

Comment

• kompir
      • Jan 2015

The problem as I see it is that this seems to be coming from the closet commies, it reeks of tokenism and warm fuzzy nothings.

Comment

• Apr 2014

Republican ideals have been espoused in Australia since at least the 1850s, most notably with the Eureka Rising of 1854: it has a long history in the country. The core idea has always been that the destiny of Australia be in the hands of those who live there, and not in the hands of a foreign monarchy
        I know of two tragic histories in the world- that of Ireland, and that of Macedonia. Both of them have been deprived and tormented.

Comment

• kompir
          • Jan 2015

Originally posted by Liberator of Makedonija View Post
          Republican ideals have been espoused in Australia since at least the 1850s, most notably with the Eureka Rising of 1854: it has a long history in the country. The core idea has always been that the destiny of Australia be in the hands of those who live there, and not in the hands of a foreign monarchy
          Historically yes, but this latest push isn't in that spirit. It has the stench of the PC brigade that have become experts in virtue signalling and tokenism.

Comment

• Apr 2014

I am unsure who you are referring to. To the best of my knowledge, there has not been any real public push for a republic since the failed 1999 referendum. Kevin Rudd, as a last ditch effort to attract votes, promised to support a republic as part of Labor's platform if re-elected, but that was almost a decade ago

Comment

• kompir
              • Jan 2015

The Australian Republic Movement’s advertisements include new slogans “we’ll take it from here” and “one of us, for us, by us”.

The symbolic connection between Australia and Britain is increasingly irrelevant to Australia’s multicultural society, but the details of a plan for a republic will need refining, and it faces significant headwinds.

Comment

• Apr 2014

All those articles link back to the Australian Republican Movement (ARM), an NGA who have been advocating for a republic for decades now. Some in the republican movement regard the ARM as opportunists and traitors

Comment

• kompir
                  • Jan 2015

All those articles link back to the Australian Republican Movement (ARM), an NGA who have been advocating for a republic for decades now. Some in the republican movement regard the ARM as opportunists and traitors
                  Yet they're getting a lot of airtime on the MSM, which means someone within the power structure wants it to happen and if so, it will be to further entrench the power of the criminals that turned this place into a quasi-Stalinist state and to the detriment of the people of this country.

Comment

• Apr 2014

Originally posted by kompir View Post
                    Yet they're getting a lot of airtime on the MSM, which means someone within the power structure wants it to happen and if so, it will be to further entrench the power of the criminals that turned this place into a quasi-Stalinist state and to the detriment of the people of this country.
                    I do not see how that is any different to the current system, which subordinates Australia to the House of Windsor

Comment

• kompir
                      • Jan 2015

I do not see how that is any different to the current system, which subordinates Australia to the House of Windsor
                      My thinking is that the usurpers that constitute the House of Windsor have themselves been usurped.

Comment

Working...
                      X