X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Liberator of Makedonija
    • Apr 2014

Roger Casement: Fact or Fiction?

Some of you may be aware that I am not only Macedonian, but I am also Irish. As such, I got quite the shock when I discovered the famous quote by Roger Casement; 'I know of two tragic histories in the world- that of Ireland, and that of Macedonia. Both of them have been deprived and tormented'. Apparently spoken before being hung by the British for his role in the Easter Rising of 1916. This is something that obviously gets-to-me in a very personal way and I am looking for clarification of its authenticity. If anyone has any evidence of this being said, please provide it!
    I know of two tragic histories in the world- that of Ireland, and that of Macedonia. Both of them have been deprived and tormented.
  • Gocka
    • Dec 2012

Its true, he said that. Try and search the forum, I'm certain I've seen a source here somewhere.

Originally posted by Liberator of Makedonija View Post
    Some of you may be aware that I am not only Macedonian, but I am also Irish. As such, I got quite the shock when I discovered the famous quote by Roger Casement; 'I know of two tragic histories in the world- that of Ireland, and that of Macedonia. Both of them have been deprived and tormented'. Apparently spoken before being hung by the British for his role in the Easter Rising of 1916. This is something that obviously gets-to-me in a very personal way and I am looking for clarification of its authenticity. If anyone has any evidence of this being said, please provide it!

Comment

• Apr 2014

Originally posted by Gocka View Post
      Its true, he said that. Try and search the forum, I'm certain I've seen a source here somewhere.
      Problem with searching the forum is that the search bar doesn't work
      I know of two tragic histories in the world- that of Ireland, and that of Macedonia. Both of them have been deprived and tormented.

Comment

• Gocka
        • Dec 2012

From the book “Macedonia and Greece: The Struggle to Define a New Balkan Nation” by John Shea, 1997, page 8.

Comment

• Apr 2014

From the book “Macedonia and Greece: The Struggle to Define a New Balkan Nation” by John Shea, 1997, page 8.
          That's how I found out about the quote, I started reading the book last night but John Shea doesn't state where he got that information from.

Comment

• Phoenix
            • Dec 2008

There's also this...

"...The moral failure of Turkey, her inability to govern her Christian peoples is only the pretext: but just as the moral argument brings its strange revenges and shows an Ireland that has suffered all that Macedonia has suffered, and this at the hands of Christians, and not of Moslems, so the triumph of the Balkan Allies, far from benefiting Britain, must, in the end, react to her detriment..."

The Crime Against Europe - A Possible Outcome of the War of 1914

Roger Casement

p50

Comment

• Gocka
              • Dec 2012

Then it will take some digging on your part

That's how I found out about the quote, I started reading the book last night but John Shea doesn't state where he got that information from.

Comment

• Apr 2014

Unfortunately I have found nothing.

Comment

• vicsinad
                  • May 2011

The earliest reference to that quote I can find on the internet comes from "Macedonian Review: Volume 16-17" published in 1986 by "Kulturen Zhivot". The quote is on page 252 in that book, and offers a citation (citation 56) but I don't have access to the citations page.

Comment

• Gocka
                    • Dec 2012

Mozok si.

Well Liberator, I think you have a good place to start.

Originally posted by vicsinad View Post
                    The earliest reference to that quote I can find on the internet comes from "Macedonian Review: Volume 16-17" published in 1986 by "Kulturen Zhivot". The quote is on page 252 in that book, and offers a citation (citation 56) but I don't have access to the citations page.

https://books.google.com/books?id=ey...ylDw8Q6AEIKDAB

Comment

• Apr 2014

Haha I wonder what my chances of finding an English-language copy of that is.

Comment

• Gocka
                        • Dec 2012

It will be a good opportunity to learn to read Macedonian its not that hard to learn honestly.

Haha I wonder what my chances of finding an English-language copy of that is.

Comment

• Apr 2014

It will be a good opportunity to learn to read Macedonian its not that hard to learn honestly.
                          I've been studying it for a while but it's nowhere near good enough to read a book on something as complex as history and culture

Comment

• vicsinad
                            • May 2011

No need for him to learn Macedonian...the book is in English!

But learn Macedonian...and Irish

Comment

• Apr 2014

Originally posted by vicsinad View Post
                              No need for him to learn Macedonian...the book is in English!

But learn Macedonian...and Irish
                              Irish has little practical value in this modern world. It's use in Ireland itself is very limited.

Comment

Working...
                              X