X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sydney
    • Sep 2008

"The Lost Writings Of The Ancient Macedonians"

i came across the following article in the latest release of "UMD Voice" (page 13), it is titled "The Lost Writings Of The Ancient Macedonians", by Aleksandar Donski.

does anyone have more info on this?

The Macedonian public knows very little about the dozens of historians that have described the history of ancient Macedonia in detail, and other states as well. Some are contained in written manuscripts, but these material proofs are not readily accessible to today’s reader. Unlike many numerous works by ancient authors, Greek and others, these manuscripts are not found on the internet, nor are they easily found in libraries.

However, a good portion of original historical materials, written by ancient Macedonian historians, have been found in the private collection of the German professor, Felix Jacoby (1876 – 1959). A professor of classical philology in Kiel for 30 years, he resumed teaching at Oxford in 1939. During his career, he collected several thousand fragments from texts by ancient writers, most of which have been transmitted by successive authors. Among these are fragments of the writings of 15 ancient Macedonian historians. The Macedonian ethnic identity of these historians is evident by the attachment of the identifier, “The Macedonian”, added to the writer’s name, or by a particular Macedonian topographic name denoting their place of birth.

Today Prof. Jacoby’s collection is accessible in a costly electronic form. Access to this material was made possible when Prof. Maria Kubaiska (in honour of her daughter Emilia Doneva Kubaiska) kindly acquired it and placed it at the disposal of the author of this article.

The initial survey of this material, containing fragments from the lost works of more than 850 ancient historians, clearly reveals the names of 15 Macedonians. Among them are: Marcia from Pela, Kriton of Pieria, Anhang the Macedonian, Antigon the Macedonian, Antioch the Aegean, Antipater the Macedonian, Marcia from Philipi, Phillip from Amphipole, Pole the Aegean, Ptolomy the son of Lag, and others. Prof. Jacoby’s collection contains several hundred additional ancient historians. It is very probable that some of these writers too are ethnic Macedonians,
    an issue which has yet to be scientifically deciphered, since their names have yet to be ethnically or geographically defined.

Regarding the contents of the lost works by ancient Macedonian historians, we know that Prof. Jacoby carefully compiled them from the preserved fragments of other ancient writers. These fragments provide compelling evidence that most of these writers dealt with the history of ancient Macedonia. For example, the ancient Macedonian historian Marcia from Pela, who is described as a Macedonian aristocrat, is also referred to as the one who created the “most detailed patriotic history of his time” (“The Dictionary of the History of Ideas” Electronic
    Text Center; University of Virginia Library, 2003).

The upcoming release of these materials to the public will illuminate new findings in Macedonian historiography.

• Soldier of Macedon
    • Sep 2008

And when is the upcoming release? I have heard about these ancient authors numerous time, but seen nothing.

Perhaps the UMDiaspora.org can give us a target date?
    In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.

Comment

• UMDiaspora.org
      • Oct 2009

Thanks for your questions. We contacted the author, which is one of Macedonia's preeminent scholars on ancient Macedonian history, and he informed us that he is planning to publish this study mentioned above, along with two books. If anyone wants to contact him, please PVT us and we will send you his e-mail address. His material is ready, however, his colleagues are working to translate the material in English so the documents will be bilingual. If anyone wants to devote time to helping translate, let us know. He intends to send copies to global policymakers. UMD plans to invite him to present his work at the 2nd UMD Global Conference in Toronto in June.
      For comments, questions, concerns, please contact us at:

United Macedonian Diaspora
      http://www.umdiaspora.org

1101 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW, 6th Floor, Washington, D.C. 20004, United States
      Phone: (202) 756-2244, Fax: (202) 756-7323, E-mail: [email protected]

PO Box 2153, Hawthorn, Vic. 3122, Australia
      Phone: 0438 385 466, E-mail: [email protected]

3555 St. Clair Avenue East, Toronto, ON, M1K 1L6, Canada
      Phone: 416-209-0448, E-mail: [email protected]

Comment

• Pelister
        • Sep 2008

I read this and found it very interesting.

Ancient Macedonian historians ??

It is possible. We have had this kind of discussion before.

I think if this information exists it should go to institutions all over the world for scrutiny.

We can gain a short term victory by publishing this information FIRST but Donski needs to be certain about the evidence, and very careful in presenting it.

Only Professional translators will do, and that means Classicists need to come into it. I am presuming it is written in Greek.

If what he says is true, I can't wait for the results.

Comment

• Jankovska
          • Sep 2008

everything is possible but the fact that it comes from Donski to me is not a valid fact. The guy just wants to make a quick buck and has luda fantazija.

Comment

• TRAVOLTA
            • Nov 2009

Something new about this?

Comment

• George S.
              • Aug 2009

From what i read & heard alexander donski is working on a project regarding ancient macedonian writers.He paid a couple of thosand euros to some german professor for copies of ancient macedonian manuscripts written solely by macedonian writers.Something in the order of more than 10? writers.Last time i was in contact with alexander donski.(a most approachable person,very outgoing & friendly) he said it was coming on well.He was translating these manuscripts.If his work is finished these findings will literally negate all greece findings as they are written by only ancient macedonian writers.
              I might email him & see how he is going.If he has written a book about it maybe we can do a review etc.
              Last edited by George S.; 01-13-2012, 04:42 PM. Reason: ed
              "Ido not want an uprising of people that would leave me at the first failure, I want revolution with citizens able to bear all the temptations to a prolonged struggle, what, because of the fierce political conditions, will be our guide or cattle to the slaughterhouse"
              GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
                • Sep 2008

Originally posted by UMDiaspora.org View Post
                He intends to send copies to global policymakers. UMD plans to invite him to present his work at the 2nd UMD Global Conference in Toronto in June.
                Did he send copies to global policymakers? Did he attend that conference last year to present his work?
                In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.

Comment

• TRAVOLTA
                  • Nov 2009

Originally posted by George S. View Post
                  I might email him & see how he is going.If he has written a book about it maybe we can do a review etc.
                  That would be great George..I am very interested...

Comment

• Chakalarov
                    • Feb 2014

Hey guys update on this. I've talked to Aleksandar Donski and he said that while the collection has been purchased, the Macedonian historians are merely mentioned in passing by other historians. Furthermore, the works are mostly fragments. I've obtained the writings of the historians mentioning the 16 Macedonians, but some still remain undeciphered. If anyone knows someone knowledgeable in Koine, Attic, we can perhaps works on translating one in particular. The parts talking about Marcia from Pella, who is credited as having written "the first patriotic history in Europe", is still not translated, and the comments (presumably Felix Jacoby's) are still in German. If anyone wants to help out in this, please PM me.

Comment

• George S.
                      • Aug 2009

I spoke to donski not recently about the exact subject.He is hoping the finds once translated will negate all of Greece's claims to Macedonia.My sentiments exactly about anyone helping this is our chance to prove it.Chak you got to agree donski is a pretty approachable guy.I was hoping one day we get AD on the MTO to ask him a few questions?
                      "Ido not want an uprising of people that would leave me at the first failure, I want revolution with citizens able to bear all the temptations to a prolonged struggle, what, because of the fierce political conditions, will be our guide or cattle to the slaughterhouse"
                      GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• Redsun
                        • Jul 2013

Judging by the dates of the previous posts to chak's "2012" shouldn't it have already been translated by now? 2 years.

Chakalarov, you have a really good attitude, I hope you get the help you need sooner.

Comment

• Chakalarov
                          • Feb 2014

Donski replied to me yesterday. He said that, sadly, most of the references to the ancient Macedonians aren't anything spectacular. All they prove is that there were ancient Macedonian historians with their own separate writings. However, I still want to have Marcia of Pella's text translated, mainly because of what others have said about him.
                          Last edited by Chakalarov; 05-02-2014, 10:00 PM.

Comment

• George S.
                            • Aug 2009

fully agreed on that
                            GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

Working...
                            X