Where did the Refugees from Turkey settle in Aegean Macedonia?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Daskalot
    • Sep 2008

Where did the Refugees from Turkey settle in Aegean Macedonia?

Taken from the book "A Concise History of Greece" by Richard Clogg, 1992, page 105.

Can we get some comments on this by our southern neighbors?
    Macedonian Truth Organisation
  • makedonin
    • Sep 2008

The "Greek Macedonians" aka Christian Turks the proud descendants of the Ancient Macedonians
    To enquire after the impression behind an idea is the way to remove disputes concerning nature and reality.

Comment

• Daskalot
      • Sep 2008

yes, the lost soldiers of Alexander that could not find their "original" homeland until they got thrown out from Turkey 2000 years later.......

Comment

• Pelister
        • Sep 2008

They weren't refugees - why ?

"The term refugee implies membership of a state community. This was not always so ... the Pontians who fled from Trebizond grieved for their lost homes"

And Greek intellectuals "set out to give the Pontians an ethnic national consciousness".

They had no idea they were 'Greeks' - most of them spoke Turkish or had Roman catholic customs.

First they needed to become Greeks.

Comment

• Risto the Great
          • Sep 2008

Well, they were seeking refuge. That makes them refugees in my opinion. But they were never Greeks. They self-identified as "Romioi" and (in different circumstances) could have become something like Cypriots. Being of a similar group to modern Greeks but having a unique ethnic identity.
          Risto the Great
          MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
          "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com

Comment

• Svoliani
            Banned
            • Sep 2008

According to the map , the area of Florina/Kastoria recieved the least amount of refugees. The highest levels are around Drama/Kavala/Serres and then Kozani. Now the question of the day is, why on earth do you care Uchitel, your kind never existed in those areas. But oh im sure you meet cab drivers from Tasos who speak perfect makedonski to you when your vacationing in Solon.

Comment

• Giorikas
              • Sep 2008

I learned that even if there were murders and expulsions, the majority of Macedonians in Greek Macedonia were simply the victims of ethnocide. They did therefore not have to leave their homelands to make space for these 'Christian Turks'. So where did these people of which you know that they were non Greeks, possibly even Turkish speaking with Roman Catholic customs set up camp (the refugees)?

Comment

• slovenec zrinski
                • Sep 2008

Perhaps in the houses that were abandoned by the expelled turks and the macedonians and bulgarians that were expelled to Bulgaria? I donīt know so this is just a suggestion.

Comment

• osiris
                  • Sep 2008

cut it out zrinski you are trying to be logical and reasonable dont forget who you are trying to teach, illogical and unreasonable wannabbee greeks like svoliani. i have met people ffrom drama and kavala who speak perfect makedonski svoliani and even in tassos their most likely were macedonain speakers, but i doubt any macedonian would reveal himself to you, being the wannabbe storm trooper you are.

Comment

• osiris
                    • Sep 2008

this is how greek ancient thassos was zrinski form their own website.

Thassos has been inhabited since prehistoric times. Neolithic tools and crude pottery, similar to those discovered on Limnos and Samothraki and at Troy, have been found at various sites on the island. The inhabitants in prehistoric times were Thracians. Thassos is first mentioned by Herodotus, the father of history, who had visited the island. He tells us that it took its name from Thassos, son of Agenor the Phoenician king of Tyre. Greek mythology goes on to say that Thassos arrived on the island in search of his sister Europa, who had been abducted by Zeus. Thassos the island was settled by the Phoenicians who for many years exploited its gold mines, its iron ore and its rich timber resources. The Phoenicians also brought the worship of Hercules.
                    and i thought hercules at least was a s greek as svoliani, damn is nothing sacred anymore.

Comment

• Giorikas
                      • Sep 2008

Originally posted by slovenec zrinski View Post
                      Perhaps in the houses that were abandoned by the expelled turks and the macedonians and bulgarians that were expelled to Bulgaria? I donīt know so this is just a suggestion.
                      I agree. But more Greeks came then Turkish left. Macedonians remained in majority, or at least that's what Risto says. Why would Bulgarians be expelled and Macedonians not? Think anyone bothered to ask them?

Comment

• Giorikas
                        • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Risto the Great View Post
                        Well, they were seeking refuge. That makes them refugees in my opinion. But they were never Greeks. They self-identified as "Romioi" and (in different circumstances) could have become something like Cypriots. Being of a similar group to modern Greeks but having a unique ethnic identity.
                        Your are overestimating yourself again and again making a fool of yourself and your cause.

Those Greeks from Turkey were Greeks. They knew it and Turks knew it. Turks still remember that, but on planet Risto anything is possible I guess:

Honestly, I wonder sometimes how many days pass without you not talking about Greeks. It's amazing really.

Comment

• Daskalot
                          • Sep 2008

those "Greeks" as you call them were Orthodox Christians, some spoke Greek, many spoke Turkish, they were Turkish citizens.

Comment

• Risto the Great
                            • Sep 2008

Giorikas, they NEVER identified as Greeks unless it had something to do with religion descriptors that others used for them.
                            We know what they called themselves.
                            You know it.
                            Here is someone who I am sure you know of (Omer Asan - a Pontian from Turkey):
                            "You often refer to the question, "Who am I" to define the motives for specific research Did your personal search play a decisive part?"

I began to search for my identity because of the fact that the language my ancestors spoke was not Turkish. Because in the village in town, at school, they taught us that we were Turks. In the neighborhood, at school, at work we spoke Turkish . But at home, in the village, my grandfather, my grandmother, everyone in the family spoke to each other in the language we called "Romaika". So what were we, "Romioi" or Turks? Now we speak Turkish.

In my village the old people speak Romaika, but they are the last to use the language. The coming generations will not be able to bear it and learn it. Let's say that we have agreed, as far as the present is concerned: We speak Turkish, therefore we are Turkish. But who were we until now, what happened to make us become Turks? By asking "Who am I?" I plunged into the unknown. I had to find the answer to this question at any cost. And that is how this adventure began.
                            Romioi or Turks?
                            pick one
                            Risto the Great

Comment

• Risto the Great
                              • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Giorikas View Post
                              I agree. But more Greeks came then Turkish left. Macedonians remained in majority, or at least that's what Risto says. Why would Bulgarians be expelled and Macedonians not? Think anyone bothered to ask them?
                              No, they were not Greeks.
                              The expelled "Bulgarians" were almost entirely Macedonians that thought they would have a better life in Bulgaria. They were not expelled. The Macedonians that remained have become modern Greek nationals. You know it.

I have bothered to ask them. You are not from there, I am sure you have not asked them based on your "greek textbook" style.
                              Risto the Great

Comment

Working...
                              X