X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TrueMacedonian
    • Jan 2009

Originally posted by I of Macedon View Post
    As I presented from another thread “the expansion of the Slavic peoples to become the most numerous ethno-cultural group(s) in East Central Europe, the Balkans and Russia by the ninth century AD was also too rapid to be explicable as a natural demographic explosion (Barford 2001: 16; Urbanczyk 2005; 142). ‘The rate of reproduction involved to fill the new territories with descendants of a small original population, no matter how the figures are calculated, is biologically impossible’ (Barford 2001: 46)”. http://www.macedoniantruth.org/forum...ead.php?t=1228

Yet during the period the Thracians begin to disappear according to modern writers (though I never quite understood whether they mean the name or the people - strangely its all but never clearly specified). And as we know and as SOM also pointed out the Thracians resided in the same areas of Eastern Europe as the slavic speakers do today. The most important point however is that Thracians generally or perhaps exclusively were known as such because they resided in the region of Thrace, whilst the others who are regarded as belonging to the Thracians and that lived outside the area of Thrace all along from the Balkans to Russia didn’t identify themselves as Thracian (from what I understand please correct if I’m wrong), yet they were related to them. The strange irony to this is that researches, historians or pro-slavists etc. Can’t seem to connect those dots to form some logical conclusion (or even close to it), instead they prefer to state that the Thracians are extinct whilst the Slavs came from ummm, Mars, God Thus in conclusion because “Slavs” begin around 6th century it creates the perception that they have no “real” ancient ancestors, thus claiming that they have connections to Thracians, Illyrians, Macedonians etc is noted as ridiculous - strange what happens when a system begins to command history.

By the way good thread SOM.

Oh, and Hollywood should make a new Spartacus movie, I think.
    Barford is lauded by Curta. I think that Barford makes alot sense in the sentence above.
    Slayer Of The Modern "greek" Myth!!!

Comment

• I of Macedon
      • Sep 2008

Originally posted by TrueMacedonian View Post
      Barford is lauded by Curta. I think that Barford makes alot sense in the sentence above.
      The only way it could not make sense, is if archaeologists found a cloning machine that that the "slavs" utilised in and around the 6th century AD. Forgot then about Alexanders body this 'cloning machine' would be the greatest find in all history.
      No need to sit in the shade, because we stand under our own sun

Comment

• osiris
        • Sep 2008

rtg proffesor freedman confirmed to me that there are quite a lot of what appear to be thracian inscriptions rotting away in greek prisons oops sorry greek museums but that so far no one has been given access to study them.

he also said there is a real possibility that many more will be found in bulgaria and hopefully historians will be able to at last study these amazing people using sources other than greek and roman

Comment

• Risto the Great
          • Sep 2008

Osiris, there is no doubt that Greece would have numerous Thracian artifacts and inscriptions. The question is what do they have to fear by releasing them to academic institutions for research.
          Risto the Great
          MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
          "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
            • Sep 2008

There's no doubt that they're hiding Thracian inscriptions, but they can't hide them forever. Why would they hide them? How would it look to the rest of the world when it is revealed there are more Thracian than Greek inscriptions in the Macedonian part of Greece? It's only a matter of time, something is bound to turn up soon, and they're bound to slip up.
            In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.

Comment

• osiris
              • Sep 2008

rtg you know as well as i what the neuvo griekenlanders fear most.

the truth

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
                • Sep 2008

Here's something more about Spartacus' people, the Maedi, and their often hostile 'relations' with Macedonia. The text is from Roman writer Titus Livius (Livy), who lived during the end of the 1st century BC and the beginning of the 1st century AD.
                http://www.gutenberg.org/files/10907...-h/10907-h.htm

.........he (Phillip V of Macedon) marched his army into Macedonia, and thence into Thrace and Maedica. This nation had been accustomed to make incursions into Macedonia when they perceived the king engaged in a foreign war, and the kingdom left unprotected. Accordingly, he began to devastate the lands in the neighbourhood of Phragandae, and to lay siege to the city Jamphorina, the capital and chief fortress of Maedica.
                http://www.gutenberg.org/files/12582...-h/12582-h.htm

Philip received accounts even from his own kingdom, that things were not in a state of tranquillity; that both Scerdilaedus and Pleuratus were in motion, and that some of the Thracians, and particularly the Maedians, would certainly make incursions on the contiguous provinces of Macedonia, should the king be occupied with a distant war.
                In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.

Comment

• Lügendetektor
                  • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Soldier of Macedon View Post
                  The Bible is a good source for such references, where the epithet of 'Hellene' can mean either non-Jew (Heathen) or cultured/educated (when ranged against barbarians).
                  Indeed, also old German Encylopedia's have a similar view on it!

[590] Griechen, 1) Bewohner von Griechenland, s.d. (Gesch.); 2) im Neuen Testament so v.w. Heiden, weil die meisten heidnischen Völker um Palästina griechisch redeten; 3) (Hellenisten), die außerhalb Judäa wohnenden Juden, die fast alle griechisch redeten, im Gegensatz zu den Nationalgriechen u. jüdischen Proselyten, s.u. Griechische Sprache.
                  Translation by GoogleTr.

Greeks, 1) residents of Greece, s.d. (GP), 2) in the New Testament might be v.w. Heathen, pagan nations because most talked about Palestine in Greek; 3) (Hellenists), the Jews living outside Judea who spoke almost all Greek, in contrast to the National Jewish proselytes and Greeks, see Greek language.
                  Pierer's Universal-Lexikon, Band 7. Altenburg 1859, page 590

more...

[220] Hellenisten, 1) gelehrte Kenner der Griechischen Sprache; 2) die Juden. in Ägypten, welche seit der Einwanderung nach Ägypten unter Ptolemäos Lagi griechische Bildung empfingen. Aus griechischen u. jüdischen Elementen bildete sich ein. eigner Dialekt, die Hellenistische Sprache (s. Griechische Sprache g), u. eine eigne Philosophie (s. Philosophie).

translation
                  [220] Hellenists, a scholarly) educated speaker of the Greek language, 2) the Jews. in Egypt, who received since the migration to Egypt under Ptolemy Lagi Greek education. From Greek and Jewish elements imagined. own dialect, the Hellenic language (see Greek language grams), and one's own philosophy (see Philosophy).
                  Pierer's Universal-Lexikon, Band 8. Altenburg 1859, S. 220.

Source: http://www.zeno.org

Comment

• Pelister
                    • Sep 2008

Maedi

Note that this text reveals a Thracian word.

The Maedi (also Maidans, Maedans, or Medi),(Ancient Greek,"Μαίδοι") were a Thracian tribe who, in historic times, occupied the area between Paionia and Thrace, on the southwestern fringes of Thrace, along the middle course of the Strymon and the upper course of the Nestus rivers, (present-day south-western Bulgaria). Their capital city was Iamphorynna.

They were an independent tribe through much of their history, and the Thracian king Sitalkes recognized their independence, along with several other warlike "border" tribes such as the Dardani, Agrianes, and Paeonians, whose lands formed a buffer zone between the powers of the Odrysians on the east and of Illyrian tribes in the west, while Macedon was located to the south of Paeonia. The ancient historian and biographer Plutarch describes Spartacus as "a Thracian of nomadic stock", referring to the Maedi. Plutarch also says Spartacus' wife, a prophetess of the same tribe, was enslaved with him.

In 89–84 bc (during the First Mithridatic War), the Maedi overran Macedon, looted Dodona, and sacked Delphi as allies of Mithridates. It is said that they made a habit of raiding Macedon when a king of Macedon was away on a campaign .Sulla after this ravaged the land of the Maedi. Aristotle recorded that bolinthos was the Maedan word for a species of wild Aurochses or Wisents that lived in the region.

A number of Maedi emigrated to Asia minor and were called MaedoBythini.
                    Have we found our Thracian etymology for Mt, 'Olynthos' the mountain?
                    Last edited by Pelister; 05-26-2010, 02:58 AM.

Comment

• Pelister
                      • Sep 2008

Hey SoM. You posted this in another thread.

Maedi

Titus Livius:

The condition of his own kingdom was far from tranquil; reports were brought to him announcing that Scerdilaedus and Pleuratus were again active and that Thracian tribes, especially the Maedi, were prepared to invade Macedonia as soon as the king was involved in a distant war.

Envoys also from Thrace, with the Maedi and Astii, came to ask for alliance and friendship. Their request was granted and each received a present of 2000 ases. The Romans were especially glad that these peoples had been received into alliance, because Thrace lay at the back of Macedonia.
                      I am sure there will be plenty to discuss. Here is a video to start off with, pay attention to the period between 4.00 to 4.30. YouTube - The Mystery of The Thracians - tombs & gold treasures HD - DISCOVER BULGARIA - part 1 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mukAFwUWxdk)

Comment

• Po-drum
                        • Mar 2009

Maedi (Меди) sounds very similar with:

copper - мед (med) in bulgarian

We know Filip have put much efforts to gain controle on the area around Chalkidiki and rivers Struma and Mesta where Maedi were living. This was important because those regions were rich in gold silver and copper mines.
                        Macedonian shields were made from silver and bronze (shield found in Bonche) consisting primarily of copper.
                        In fact, Chalkidiki (Chalcidice) was beffore the setllement of Greeks (700-400 b.c.) populated by Thracians.
                        Having on mind that Maedians are the closest thracian tribe living around Chalkidiki I could say they were once living there. More inteersting is that "chalkos" means copper ore.
                        Macedonia - my shoulders from ruins and skies

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
                          • Sep 2008

British-born actor Andy Whitfield, star of the TV series Spartacus: Blood and Sand, has died of non-Hodgkin lymphoma, it was confirmed today.

The star, who was born in Amlwch, Wales, but moved to Sydney in 1999, lost his 18-month battle with the disease on a 'sunny Sydney morning in the arms of his loving wife (Vashti),' she said in a statement. The actor, who was 39, was diagnosed with stage 1 of the disease in March 2010, but was declared cancer-free two months later after beginning treatment immediately in New Zealand.

Whitfield was a virtual unknown when he was cast as the legendary Thracian slave in Spartacus, a role made famous by Kirk Douglas in the 1960 Stanley Kubrick film. The series proved a break-out hit for the Starz network and made waves with its graphic violence and sexuality. Whitfield appeared in all 13 episodes of the first season that aired in 2010, and was preparing to shoot the second when he was diagnosed with cancer.

While waiting for Whitfield's treatment and expected recovery, the network produced a six-part prequel, Spartacus: Gods of the Arena, that aired earlier this year with only a brief voice-over from the actor.
                          But in January, after Whitfield's condition grew worse, the network announced that another Australian actor, Liam McIntyre, would take over the role.

McIntyre said at the time: 'Andy’s such a wonderful actor. I don’t want to follow that guy, and everybody hurts that he’s had to give up the role, myself included.' At the same time, Whitfield released his own statement acknowledging the decision: 'It's with a deep sense of disappointment that I must step aside from such an exceptional project as Spartacus and all the wonderful people involved,' he said. 'It seems that it is time for myself and my family to embark on another extraordinary journey.'

Whitfield's previous credits included appearances on the Australian TV shows Packed to the Rafters and McLeod's Daughters. Spartacus director Steve DeKnight took to Twitter to express his pain. 'No words to express the depth of such a loss. You will be deeply missed, my brother,' he wrote.

Spartacus co-star Lucy Lawless said on her website Whitfield was a "gentle man who never had a bad world about anyone".
                          She went on to say that Whitfield was a brilliant actor and a gifted photographer and engineer.

'Obviously, Andy Whitfield left an indelible mark on all of us in the Spartacus family,' she said. 'Andy's incandescent film presence made men want to be him and women want to marry him. 'Andy's two babies will always know that their Daddy cherished them and their mother, Vashti, above all things. 'How lucky we were to have him grace all our lives.'

Another person who spoke highly of the actor was Starz president and CEO Chris Albrecht who said: 'We were fortunate to have worked with Andy in Spartacus and came to know that the man who played a champion on-screen was also a champion in his own life.

'Andy was an inspiration to all of us as he faced this very personal battle with courage, strength and grace. 'Our thoughts and prayers are with his family during this difficult time. He will live on in the hearts of his family, friends and fans.'

Whitfield is survived by his wife Vashti and his two children.
                          A damn shame, may he rest in peace, he played the character of Spartacus extremely well. His memory will live on in the Spartacus series.

Comment

• DraganOfStip
                            • Aug 2011

And he really played the role with style,damn shame.I watched season 1 on our own MTV(finally something worth watching there) and it just blew me away.Nash choek indeed.May he rest in peace.
                            ”A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims... but accomplices”
                            ― George Orwell

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
                              • Sep 2008

Have you seen the intermediary series that was made while they waited for Andy Whitfield to recover? That was good also. The new series is OK, have only seen a few episodes, it is not as good as the first one though (at least not so far), but what keeps me watching is knowing how the story develops and waiting for the Thracian and his men to shake Rome to its foundations.

Comment

• DraganOfStip
                                • Aug 2011

I just downloaded it,it's gonna be on my agenda the following days.As for the sequel with the new actor,I think I'm gonna wait the season to end so I can get the full picture.I did a great mistake with Prison Break's last season,the suspense was too much to handle
                                ”A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims... but accomplices”
                                ― George Orwell

Comment

Working...
                                X