Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Soldier of Macedon
    • Sep 2008

Using information already supplied in this thread, below is a short summary of events during the 9th century, prior to (and during) the mission of the Macedonian brothers from Salonika, SS Cyril and Methody.
    800: Macedonia Theme is created within East Roman administration, consisting of Macedonians and Thracians, who at that stage had assimilated the Slavonic tribes in their region.

813: A great battle takes place between the armies of East Rome and Bulgaria, the former consisting chiefly of Macedonians and Thracians.

821: Thomas the Slav raises the banner of revolt against East Rome, his army consisted, among others, Macedonians and Thracians.

850/60: Macedonian and Thracian soldiers sent to subdue the Slavic rebels in the Peloponnese, upholding the rule of East Rome in the region.

867: Basil the Macedonian, a native of the Adrianople region, conspires against Michael III and takes rule of East Rome. After a continued warrior tradition and significance in the political life of East Rome, the Macedonians produce an emperor, and subsequently a dynasty.
    Here is another good thread that has significance to this topic:
    I originally posted this on the Maknews forum but thought it would interesting to post it again here in case anybody hasn't seen it especially as our modern Greek friends constantly brag about 'their' Byzantine heritage. Just how 'Greek' was the Byzantine Empire? Take a look at the ethnic origin of all its emperors and

Pelister,
    A Sklavonian chieftain, Chilbuldius, became a Roman commander, and one of their best. He was a Thracian, of Sclavonian origin, defending northern Thrace from Sclavonian marauders. (Proc.Wars vii. 38. 17).
    I haven't searched too thoroughly, but I can't seem to locate book 7 from Procopius on the net. Can you help?

Also, can we get access to the 'Miracles of Saint Demetrius'?
    In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.

Comment

• Risto the Great
      • Sep 2008

850/60: Macedonian and Thracian soldiers sent to subdue the Slavic rebels in the Peloponnese, upholding the rule of East Rome in the region.
      Why were they sent?
      Were there alternative groups who could have been sent?
      How close were the Thracians and Macedonians?
      Perhaps the Slavic rebels in the Peloponnese were merely Macedonians/Thracians who had been led astray?
      Risto the Great
      MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
      "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
        • Sep 2008

It appears that the first half of the 9th century saw rebellions in the whole Slavic-speaking world.

Frontier wars
        At the start of Louis's reign, the many tribes — Danes, Obotrites, Slovenes, Bretons, Basques — which inhabited his frontierlands were still in awe of the Frankish emperor's power and dared not stir up any trouble. In 816, however, the Sorbs rebelled and were quickly followed by Slavomir, chief of the Obotrites, who was captured and abandoned by his own people, being replaced by Ceadrag in 818. Soon, Ceadrag too had turned against the Franks and allied with the Danes, who were to become the greatest menace of the Franks in a short time.

A greater Slavic menace was gathering on the southeast. There, Ljudevit Posavski, duke of Pannonia, was harassing the border at the Drava and Sava rivers. The margrave of Friuli, Cadolah, was sent out against him, but he died on campaign and, in 820, his margarvate was invaded by Slovenes. In 821, an alliance was made with Borna, duke of the Dalmatia, and Ljudevit was brought to heel. In 824 several Slav tribes in the north-western parts of Bulgaria acknowledged Louis's suzerainity and after he was reluctant to settle the matter peacefully with the Bulgarian ruler Omurtag, in 827 the Bulgarians attacked the Franks in Pannonia and regained their lands.
        In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
          • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Risto the Great View Post
          Why were they sent?
          Were there alternative groups who could have been sent?
          How close were the Thracians and Macedonians?
          Perhaps the Slavic rebels in the Peloponnese were merely Macedonians/Thracians who had been led astray?
          Thracians and Macedonians have historically been close in several ways linking the people, they were sent to the Peloponnese as soldiers of East Rome, by the request of the emperor. Although they were known as good fighters, there may indeed be an additional reason (language) for their use against the rebels in the Peloponnese, who were most probably a combination of local elements (Macedonia, Thrace, Illyria) and tribes from the Danube.

Comment

• Daskalot
            • Sep 2008

This thread has been a real enlightening read, thank you SoM for your great contribution! A big thank you to all of you for bringing forth relevant information regarding this topic.
            Macedonian Truth Organisation

Comment

• TrueMacedonian
              • Jan 2009

Slayer Of The Modern "greek" Myth!!!

Comment

• Bratot
                • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Pelister View Post
                Hey SoM,

I found this in one of my books.

I hate it when the authors us the term "Slav" as a synonym for the term "Sklavenoi". Anyway ...

A Sklavonian chieftain, Chilbuldius, became a Roman commander, and one of their best. He was a Thracian, of Sclavonian origin, defending northern Thrace from Sclavonian marauders. (Proc.Wars vii. 38. 17).

Some of the Sclavonian tribal chiefs who had contact with the East Roman empire.

Chilbuldius
                Aragastus
                Musocius
                Daurentius

Chilbuldius was the Master of Soldiers in Thrace, under Justinian.

Ardagastus and Musocius were titled as REX of Slavs.

I would add to this list Mesamir, Kelagast, Pirogast.

The history of Russian literature, with a lexicon of Russian authors, by Friedrich Otto from 19th century.
                The purpose of the media is not to make you to think that the name must be changed, but to get you into debate - what name would suit us! - Bratot

Comment

• Bratot
                  • Sep 2008

Note> the ORIGINAL SLAV language!
                  The purpose of the media is not to make you to think that the name must be changed, but to get you into debate - what name would suit us! - Bratot

Comment

• Risto the Great
                    • Sep 2008

Many of those "slavic" names do not sound slavic.

Pirogast
                    Ardagast
                    Kelagast
                    Dauritas
                    Chilbuldius

Perhaps they have already been corrupted by the Byzantine chroniclers. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what the "pre-corrupted" names might have sounded like?

I say we all name our kids after these famous people. .... sound familiar ??
                    Risto the Great
                    MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
                    "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com

Comment

• Pelister
                      • Sep 2008

The problem here is the use of the term "Slav" and the term itself. In his book "The Making of the Slavs" Florin Curta tackles this problem, and argues, that the term "Sklavenoi" used by Procopius for the first time ever, is ubiquitous, and refers to various groups, various Kings not under Roman rule. He argues that it is dubious as an ethnie because we have no evidence who they were, or reference point to compare them. He has shown that the Ister (Danube) was a border marking out an administrative region, and that it was used in this context, i.e., those under Roman rule, and those not. For example, the opposite of "Sclavenes" is not an ethnie, but a name for people willing to live under Roman rule.(p.348). Whoever they were, what Curta has done is open the possibility that the "Sclavenes" (whatever their ethnic group and language may have been), were natives to the lands on both sides of the Ister (Danube). This is the key point he made, I thought.

I think this is very insightful - barbarians native to both sides of the Ister (Danube) - were likely to be kinsmen, and even part of the same tribal group.

We find out what language the Thracians used, and spoke to fill in the picture.

Comment

• Pelister
                        • Sep 2008

This probably doesn't belong in this thread, but I couldn't help myself.

Curta shown that the Ister (Danube) was a border marking out an administrative region, and that it was used in this context, i.e., those under Roman rule, and those not. For example, the opposite of "Sclavenes" is not an ethnie, but a name for people willing to live under Roman rule.(p.348).

That no Slavic ethnicity existed in the eyes of any sixth or seventh century Byzantine author, which could be compared to the modern concept of ethnicity, is shown by Pseudo-Caesarius's usage of the term 'sklavenoi'. To him, the opposite of 'Sklavenes' is (term in Greek) which was not ethnie, but a name for inhabitants of the Roman province of Dacia Ripensis.
                        [p.348], The Making of the Slavs.

Curta asks the question:

Who was exactly ravaging Thrace in the 580's and who, at the same time, was ravaging Greece?
                        Many of the attacks in Macedonia, and Thrace, could only have been done by locals. What Curta is suggesting here is that the term "Sclavene" could, at some point, have been used to describe natives not willing to accept Roman rule. Its just a possibility, but a real one.

That no "Slavs" called themselves by this name not only indicates that no group took on the label imposed by outsiders, but also suggests that this label was more of a pedantic construction than the result of systematic interaction across ethnic boundaries. p.350

"the Sclavenes did not pose a major threat to southern Macedonia"
                        The Sclavenes ravaging Thrace "departed on the homeward way with the other booty" p.87
                        No independant raid of the Sclavenes is known for the entire period until 579, despite the fact that the period is covered by more than one source p.89
                        Johen of Ephesus writes that "the accursed people of the Slavs" set out and plundered all of Greece ..."p.92
                        The phrase "people of the Slavs" suggests that "Slavs" is a space, a location.

John of Ephesus claims that the Sclavenes were occupying Roman territory "as if it belonged to them" p.94
                        Book II of Miracles of St Demetrius cross references several tribes in the book. In all cases we get the impression that they were a familiar presence. The Sclavenes were not just invaders they were "our Slavic neighbours"p.108
                        Last edited by Pelister; 06-30-2009, 11:40 PM.

Comment

• Pelister
                          • Sep 2008

A Macedonian Theme could be brought to light through the use of the term 'barbarian'.

A land and people, barbarian to Greeks and Romans. The barbarian invaders of the 6th century (sometimes referred to as Sklavenoi), might have had more in common with the 'barbarians of antiquity' still presumably living in Macedonia, Thrace and Illyria, than with anyone else.
                          Last edited by Pelister; 06-30-2009, 11:46 PM.

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
                            • Sep 2008

Check the below source written during the 11th century, it is called the Life of Mary the Younger. Take note of the highlighted part at the end of the text, could this be a reason why some Armenian writers of the time proposed an Armenian heritage for Basil the Macedonian?

At that time Basil [Basil I, ruled 867-886] ruled the empire, not the one born in the purple, but Basil the Macedonian. He was the one who became an emperor after being a stable hand, and the one who slew the Emperor Michael [Michael III, ruled 842-867]. It was under this Michael that the effrontery of the iconoclasts was brought to an end, and that the doctrine of the Orthodox began to sprout afresh. History hands him down as the "son of Theophilos" [Theophilos, ruled 829-842], the last of the iconoclasts, but his imbibing of much wine has also led him to be ridiculed as "the drunkard" [methuonta]. One Basil had removed Michael, he substituted himself in the Imperial office. At the time Basil was ruling, some powerful men from Great Armenia came to the great city of Constantine and approached the Emperor. He received the men gladly, giving them gifts and exalting them with honors, <for which he> was held in repute by the first ones honored.

Comment

• Bratot
                              • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Risto the Great View Post
                              Many of those "slavic" names do not sound slavic.

Pirogast
                              Ardagast
                              Kelagast
                              Dauritas
                              Chilbuldius

Perhaps they have already been corrupted by the Byzantine chroniclers. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what the "pre-corrupted" names might have sounded like?

I say we all name our kids after these famous people. .... sound familiar ??
                              Risto, there could be few variations of the names.

The names we see are already Latinized pretty much.

One example is Belisarius, whos real name was Beli-Car.

The problem here is the use of the term "Slav" and the term itself. In his book "The Making of the Slavs" Florin Curta tackles this problem, and argues, that the term "Sklavenoi" used by Procopius for the first time ever, is ubiquitous, and refers to various groups, various Kings not under Roman rule. He argues that it is dubious as an ethnie because we have no evidence who they were, or reference point to compare them. He has shown that the Ister (Danube) was a border marking out an administrative region, and that it was used in this context, i.e., those under Roman rule, and those not. For example, the opposite of "Sclavenes" is not an ethnie, but a name for people willing to live under Roman rule.(p.348). Whoever they were, what Curta has done is open the possibility that the "Sclavenes" (whatever their ethnic group and language may have been), were natives to the lands on both sides of the Ister (Danube). This is the key point he made, I thought.

I think this is very insightful - barbarians native to both sides of the Ister (Danube) - were likely to be kinsmen, and even part of the same tribal group.

We find out what language the Thracians used, and spoke to fill in the picture.

I will quote myself from another forum, it's on macedonian:

Имено како што објаснуваат Русите, појава на “К“ во терминот СЛАВ, доаѓа како последица од правилото во грчкиот јазик дека пред буквата “л“ задолжително треба да стои “к“.
                              Бидејќи Грците не читаат “л“ доколку претходната е “С“. И добиваат «скл».

Кај Грците истотака со времето дошло до замена на буквата “б“ со буквата “в“. Имено во старогрчкиот буквата БЕТА се читала како “Б“.

Додека за времето на Византија, таа веќе преминала во “В“.

Оттука го добиваме и терминот - СКЛАВ - SCLAV

Поради ова подоцна Римјаните како последица од употребата на Грчкиот јазик, го прифаќаат и употребуваат терминот СКЛАВ.

Меѓутоа, водејќи се по овие инструкции доаѓаме дека оригиналното име се читало всушност - СЛАБ.

И сега Русите тврдат дека тоа означувало - С ЛАБа , з Лаба, односно ОД ЛАБА.

Лаба е река во Северен Кавказ. блиску Црноморскиот басен.

Но истото име ЛАБА, во Чешкиот јазик ја означува реката ЕЛБА која извира од Чешка територија,но течението и во Германија.

Во регионот на Кавказ, во периодот на Александар и Рим подоцна, се наоѓало Кралството САРМАТИЈА.

А во Арапските земји дел од Средоземното подрачје, терминот Саклаб со кој ги нарекувале Словените е преземен од старогрчкиот назив - склаби - и затоа кај нив се задржала буквата бета во првобитното значење - “Б“- читајќи се САКЛАБ/САКАЛАБИ и означувал - РУСОКОС.

Меѓутоа произлегувањето на “СКЛАВЕНИ“ од “СЛАВЕНИ“ не е лингвистички издржано ниту потврдено.
                              Терминот РОБ вака се пишувал на повеќето стари западноевропски јазици:

средновековен Латински - sclavus
                              старо французски - esclave
                              средно англиски - sclave
                              средно ирландски - scolyc (слуга)
                              старо норвешки - scolkr
                              готски - skalks

Изоставувањето на “К“ од “скл“ во модерните јазици потекнува од 17 век, и со тоа се довело до забуна денес меѓу SCLAV кој преминал-> SLAVЕ и СЛАВ (Славјан, Словен) според сите Словенски јазици.

Бидејќи во ниту еден словенски јазик не се јавува буквата “К“ во називот СЛОВЕН или СЛАВЈЕН.

Ниту Германците порано не си се нарекувале себеси Германци, ниту Шпанците се нарекувале Шпанци, тоа се Латински наметнати назви, затоа не многу поразличен е и случајот со нас каде никогаш не сме се нарекувале Склавени-РОБОВИ, кое ни е наметнато од Латинскиот.

Воопшто, кога ќе ги земеме имињата Светослав, Славица, Мирослав, Југослав и многу др. слични кои го содржат - слав - многу е апсурдно дека неговото значење е РОБ.

Зарем самите ние би се нарекувале себе си СВЕТ-РОБ, РОБ-киња, МИР-РОБ, Југо-РОБ.

Валидни можат да бидат само две дефиниции, според етимологијата на сите словенски јазици:
                              1. Слав- од СЛАВА
                              2. Слов- од СЛОВО
                              I hope you will understand.

Who were the Slavs, according to Curta:

It says enough.

Comment

• Bratot
                                • Sep 2008

The phrase "people of the Slavs" suggests that "Slavs" is a space, a location.

Sclavonia in modern Italian means Slavonia, a region in Crotia.
                                Encyclopedia article about Sclavonia by The Free Dictionary

"Scuola di San Giorgio degli Schiavoni" this school was founded in 1451 by the Dalmatian population in Venice.

"Schiavoni" /ski,a,vo,ni/ translated from Italian means - SLAV

But also something else is interesting:

Sclavonia may refer to:

Scalovia (Prussia)

Scalovia (German: Schalauen) was the area originally inhabited by the now extinct Baltic tribe of Skalvians or Scalovians (German: Schalauer) which according to the Chronicon terrae Prussiae of Peter of Dusburg lived to the south of the Curonians, by the lower Memel (Nemunas) river, in the times around 1240.

The centre of Scalovia was supposed to be Ragnit (Raganita).
                                &#1043;&#1086;&#1088;&#1086;&#1076; &#1053;&#1077;&#1084;&#1072;&#1085; &#1050;&#1072;&#1083;&#1080;&#1085;&#1080;&#1085;&#1075;&#1088;&#1072;&#1076;&#1089;&#1082;&#1086;&#1081; &#1086;&#1073;&#1083;&#1072;&#1089;&#1090;&#1080; &#8212; &#1057;&#1072;&#1081;&#1090; &#1075;&#1086;&#1088;&#1086;&#1076;&#1072; &#1053;&#1077;&#1084;&#1072;&#1085; &#1050;&#1072;&#1083;&#1080;&#1085;&#1080;&#1085;&#1075;&#1088;&#1072;&#1076;&#1089;&#1082;&#1086;&#1081; &#1086;&#1073;&#1083;&#1072;&#1089;&#1090;&#1080;

The origin of the name according to Prussian chronicles is derived from one of the Prussian brothers name Schalauo.

The inhabitants can be traced back to burial grounds with cremated remains and occasional graves of horses. Judging from the diggings, Scalowians are assumed to be relative to other western Balts such as Curonians and more distantly to eastern Balts such as Latvians and Lithuanians.

The territory once inhabited by Scalovian people, which had been a part of Lithuania Minor, is now divided between Lithuania and Kaliningrad Oblast.

Comment

Working...
                                X