X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Risto the Great
    • Sep 2008

Burqa-clad mum Carnita Matthews jailed for six months

A BURQA-CLAD mother of seven who claimed she was the victim of mistaken identity has been jailed for six months for making a false complaint against a police officer.

Magistrate Robert Rabbidge dismissed Carnita Matthews' allegations that a highway patrol officer was racist after he pulled her over for a Random Breath Test and claims he forcibly tried to remove her face veil as false.

In sentencing her, he described her actions as "both deliberate and malicious" saying he had no option but to sentence her to jail given the seriousness of her allegations, and to send a clear message to the community.

A second woman, also wearing a burqa today who was supporting Matthews in court broke down in tears as she was removed by Corrective Service officers.

Matthews was charged in June after allegedly falsely claiming that a highway patrol officer handled her in an attempt to see her burqa-hidden face during a random breath test.

She pleaded not guilty.

After arriving at Campbelltown Local Court yesterday with an identically dressed friend, Matthews watched the in-car police video of her being pulled over and asked to lift the burqa so the officer could verify her licence photo.

Her claim that she had not signed the Statutory Declaration outlining her complaint were rejected with Magistrate Rabbidge saying the signature on it was almost identical to that on her driver's licence.

The court was told that after being issued an infringement notice for not properly displaying her P-plates, the 46-year-old branded the officer "a racist" and claimed he only booked her because of what she was wearing.

"I've got my P-plates on my car ... there was nothing wrong with how they were displayed," Matthews said on the video.

"You look at me and see me wearing this and you couldn't handle it. All cops are racist."

The court heard that Matthews then drove to Campbelltown police station to complain that she was unfairly treated by the officer.

Giving evidence yesterday, the station officer who took the complaint said he had told Matthews the officer had been right to ask for identification.

In a statement read to the court, Sergeant Paul Kearney said he told her: "I'm looking at you and all I can see is two eyes."

However, the court was told that an officer who three days later accepted a statutory declaration from a burqa-clad woman he assumed to be Matthews failed to check her identification.

Matthews' lawyer Stephen Hopper said there was no way for police to prove that his client was the one who signed the statutory declaration at Campbelltown police station on June 10.

Mr Hopper said that meant Matthews should not have been charged with the offence of making a false complaint to police.
    A harsh sentence. The video was quite damning. She really had no justification for her rant.
    Risto the Great
    MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
    "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com
  • El Bre
    • Sep 2008

"East is east, and west is west and never the twain should meet"

Comment

• Onur
      • Apr 2010

Yes it is harsh sentence but policeman is absolutely right. How can you identify someone`s ID if she wears burqa?

In a statement read to the court, Sergeant Paul Kearney said he told her: "I'm looking at you and all I can see is two eyes."
      Lol, poor guy... She can even be a "man" hidden under that dress, how he can be sure?

Turkey forbid using that kind of clothing in 1930s and western world is stupid to allow their citizens to wear such stuff in their countries. Only some of the Arabian tourists walking around with burqa in Turkey and hopefully they only go to Istanbul but never to my city cuz they don't prefer sun,sea and beaches here.

Btw, interesting thing is, only Arabian women are strict on this but most of Iranian tourists who comes to Turkey, throw their burqa like cloths as soon as they reach Turkish airfield and it`s quite common to see them with bikinis here. Well, most of these Iranians are Azeris but nevertheless, most of them hates to wear burqa but they are forced to in Iran.

Another interesting thing is, Turkey is an islamic country but no burqa here. But there are 1000s of women with burqa in EU, USA and Australia!!!

When i` ve gone to Istanbul this summer, i saw like 10 women with burqa walking towards me in the street. They were probably some Arabian tourist group and i freaked out when i saw them all of a sudden and slowly slid to right side to get away from them. So, i have no idea how come you guys tolerate them in western world. Ofc you cannot interfere with tourists but i believe you shouldn't allow your citizens to wear that thing.

Comment

• DirtyCodingHabitz
        • Sep 2010

When i` ve gone to Istanbul this summer, i saw like 10 women with burqa walking towards me in the street. They were probably some Arabian tourist group and i freaked out when i saw them all of a sudden and slowly slid to right side to get away from them. So, i have no idea how come you guys tolerate them in western world.
        You should see Istanbul's airport its full of them.

Comment

• Onur
          • Apr 2010

Originally posted by DirtyCodingHabitz View Post
          You should see Istanbul's airport its full of them.
          Yeah i can guess but i don't see them myself there cuz i use the domestic flights section. More than million Arabs comes here every year and all of them goes to Istanbul, nowhere else. Probably most of the people doesn't like them to see in the streets like me but except tradespeople cuz they have lots of money under their burqa. It wouldn't be wrong to say that a single Arabian tourist spends about 10 times more money than a German. Especially they clear out everything in the jewelery stores. You know they are addicted to gold

Btw, there are three Bosnian tv channels in cable tv here because you know there are lots of Bosnians living here and whenever i watch those for a while, gosh!, sometimes i confuse it if i watch an Arabian or Bosnian tv channel. Someone must do something for Bosnia to stop that nonsense cuz it`s obvious from their tv channels that they are under wahabi occupation. They are probably started to think that they have to be like Arabs to be a muslim but it`s wrong!. Someone should warn them that, this is wahabism not islam!

I don't have Kosovar tv channels here but i don't even wanna think how are they if Bosnians are like that.
          Last edited by Onur; 11-20-2010, 08:35 PM.

Comment

• Bill77
            • Oct 2009

I don't believe its a harsh sentence at all.

Can you imagine what life would have been like for that police officer if he did not have video footage of the incident?
            He would have lost his job and would have found it difficult to find employment again after being known as a racist.
            Not only his life would have been effected, but his family would have suffered aswell.

Then for this lady to turn around (after being sentenced) and claim mistaken identity and it was not her on video, justifies the reason why wearing a Burqa should be outlawed and let me see this woman now argue against that.
            http://www.macedoniantruth.org/forum/showthread.php?p=120873#post120873

Comment

• Phoenix
              • Dec 2008

I wonder what sentence she would have got if it was the Taliban who pulled her over...

Seriously, these people can't have it both ways...they're free to wear the burqa but if visual identification needs to be confirmed they can't hide...

Comment

• Bij
                • Oct 2009

Seriously what kind of 46 year old mother of 7 is still on her P's?

On another note - I wonder what the punishment would be for lying to police authorities in her home country. Stoned to death? Life in prison? Hands cut off?

Comment

• Venom
                  • Sep 2008

Some Islamic leaders in Australia confirmed that if a policeman asks her to reveal her face she must abide.

So she is religious enough to cover her entire body but not enough to not lie and try to get an innocent police officer into trouble?
                  S m r t - i l i - S l o b o d a

Comment

Working...
                  X