Just How 'Greek' Was The Byzantine Empire???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SirGeorge8600
    • Jun 2011

Originally posted by vojnik View Post
    Ahh a rheotorical question of course he was GREEK everything in the world is if it wasn't for Greece we would probably be all dead today thank God for Greece's existance otherwise we would not be on this forum
    Hm.,..not really.

Anyway, I see a lot of Greek last names on that list. You realize that one's ethnicity isn't always solid as to where they are born, right? ie. If a person of Macedonian heritage is born in Greek borders, that doesn't necessarily make them ethnic Greeks.

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
      • Sep 2008

Originally posted by SirGeorge8600 View Post
      If a person of Macedonian heritage is born in Greek borders, that doesn't necessarily make them ethnic Greeks.
      Yep, now try explaining that to 90% of the Greeks in this world. You may have more success than us.
      In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.

Comment

• SirGeorge8600
        • Jun 2011

lol, naaah they just get angry and call me a traitor.

Comment

• Delodephius
          • Sep 2008

Judging from the diversity of their wardrobe I'd say the Romans/Byzantines were a colourful bunch.

YouTube - ‪Byzantine Soldiers‬‏
          अयं निज: परो वेति गणना लघुचेतसाम्।
          उदारमनसानां तु वसुधैव कुटुंबकम्॥
          This is mine or (somebody) else’s (is the way) narrow minded people count.
          But for broad minded people, (whole) earth is (like their) family.

Comment

• Onur
            • Apr 2010

Delodep, you gonna say "Everything belongs to everybody" again but what`s up with this Turkish music on a Roman soldier video? It goes quite well with that tough

Comment

• Delodephius
              • Sep 2008

"Turkish music" is a relative phrase. However I don't like "Turkish music" so I just turn off the volume.
              अयं निज: परो वेति गणना लघुचेतसाम्।
              उदारमनसानां तु वसुधैव कुटुंबकम्॥
              This is mine or (somebody) else’s (is the way) narrow minded people count.
              But for broad minded people, (whole) earth is (like their) family.

Comment

• christos200
                Banned
                • Jul 2011

as a greek, i will like to say the reasons why the byzantine empire is greek:

1) Greek was the official language and the emperors name were greek.

2) The byzantines consider themshelfs romans and greeks.

3) The pope and western europeans called the byzantine empire << Greek empire>>

i hope this will help you understad why the byzantine empire was a greek empire.

Comment

• julie
                  • May 2009

Originally posted by christos200 View Post

i hope this will help you understad why the byzantine empire was a greek empire.

must be joking! since when was the byzantine empire solely Greek ??
                  "The moral revolution - the revolution of the mind, heart and soul of an enslaved people, is our greatest task."__________________Gotse Delchev

Comment

• christos200
                    Banned
                    • Jul 2011

i didnt say it was only greek. there were armenians, slavs and many others, but the empire itshelf was greco-roman.

Comment

• Onur
                      • Apr 2010

1) When eastern Roman empire founded, Latin was the language of the court and continued to be like that for about ~350 years and after crusaders sacked the Istanbul, it was Latin again for like ~100 years more. So, official language of eastern Romans was Latin for about ~450 years.

The ruling monarchy of eastern Roman empire changed a lot. There was Armenian, Macedonian monarchies too, so not every emperors had Greek names. The emperor names you know today is actually not their own names, but the name they took after they have been approved as a new emperor and given to them by the patriarch, just like the Popes acquiring new name when they selected as a Pope.

2)Eastern Romans considered themselves as Romans only. Their descendants, Phanariots in Istanbul also considered themselves as Romans `till about ~1850s.

Also, the term "Byzantine" has been created by Montesquieu for the first time in 18th century, about ~300 years after the destruction of Eastern Roman empire. So, there was no such a term as "Byzantine" when the state was intact. Byzantine is a term, invented in enlightenment era, when westerners re-discovered ancient Greek philosophy, so they wanted to use separate name for eastern Romans.

Comment

• christos200
                        Banned
                        • Jul 2011

after 1204 when the crusades sacked byzantium, the eastern romans considered themshelfs greeks and the empires that rised after 1204 were greek. some historians even start modern greek history in year 1204.

Comment

• Voltron
                          Banned
                          • Jan 2011

i didnt say it was only greek. there were armenians, slavs and many others, but the empire itshelf was greco-roman.
                          Christos, The Byzantine empire wasnt Greek just like the Ottoman Empire wasnt Turkish. Just leave it at that.

Comment

• christos200
                            Banned
                            • Jul 2011

of course the ottoman empire was turkish. well, you can say that the byzantine empire wasnt greek but the ottoman empire was turkish.

Comment

• julie
                              • May 2009

Originally posted by Voltron View Post
                              Christos, The Byzantine empire wasnt Greek just like the Ottoman Empire wasnt Turkish. Just leave it at that.
                              how pathetic
                              "The moral revolution - the revolution of the mind, heart and soul of an enslaved people, is our greatest task."__________________Gotse Delchev

Comment

• christos200
                                Banned
                                • Jul 2011

what do you mean when you say <<how pathetic>> ?

Comment

Working...
                                X