X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • George S.
    • Aug 2009

Death of Alexander

that was very intersting SOM.I can't quote his speeches but i like the way alexander talked to his soldiers before the battles & lifted their spirits.Very motivating.Alexander told them that they were macedonians & were free men unlike the enemies they fought.I think his speeches inspired his army to fight on fercely that they would beleive & win.Also the macedonian casualties were less than the opposition maybe they wren't psyched up enough.Also i think alexander encouraged freedom of speech from his soldiers as to how they felt.
    It is a stark contrast that the macedonian army could fight on even if they lost their head where as the persians when cyrus fled they were helpless.
    Last edited by George S.; 11-11-2011, 04:35 AM. Reason: ed
    "Ido not want an uprising of people that would leave me at the first failure, I want revolution with citizens able to bear all the temptations to a prolonged struggle, what, because of the fierce political conditions, will be our guide or cattle to the slaughterhouse"
    GOTSE DELCEV
  • EgejskaMakedonia
    • Jan 2010

Originally posted by George S. View Post
    that was very intersting SOM.I can't quote his speeches but i like the way alexander talked to his soldiers before the battles & lifted their spirits.Very motivating.Alexander told them that they were macedonians & were free men unlike the enemies they fought.I think his speeches inspired his army to fight on fercely that they would beleive & win.Also the macedonian casualties were less than the opposition maybe they wren't psyched up enough.Also i think alexander encouraged freedom of speech from his soldiers as to how they felt.
    It is a stark contrast that the macedonian army could fight on even if they lost their head where as the persians when cyrus fled they were helpless.
    No doubt he was an inspiration to his soldiers and a mastermind tactician on the battlefield. However, when Alexander died (common perception being that he was poisoned) the Macedonian empire crumbled, the kingdoms were split. I guess he kept everything in tact, but when there are a bunch of generals looking out for their own interests as opposed to that of the people and soldiers, his death would surely plunge the empire into a state of disarray. Every empire falls, no matter how great.

Comment

• George S.
      • Aug 2009

i think em the ptolemies lasted for about 300 years correct me if i'm wrong.Me thinks if alexander didn't die so early then he would've made better provisions on how his empire should be run.I heard of people joking if alexander lived on we would all be speaking macedonian today instead of english.The rumours are that he died of a fever.then there are rumours of someone poisoning him,But he was cut short in his prime of 32 years.
      "Ido not want an uprising of people that would leave me at the first failure, I want revolution with citizens able to bear all the temptations to a prolonged struggle, what, because of the fierce political conditions, will be our guide or cattle to the slaughterhouse"
      GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• EgejskaMakedonia
        • Jan 2010

My knowledge of ancient Macedonia isn't quite up to scratch, so you would probably be more informed in this area.
        Haha, I've heard that plenty of times, and I'll admit that I've said to a few people myself, that if Alexander's life wasn't cut so short, we'd be the size of Russia and all speak Macedonian. It's all a bunch of 'ifs' and 'buts,' so I guess we'll be left to ponder of what could have been if all the right cards were played throughout Macedonia's history.

Earlier this year I purchased a book called 'Alexander The Great: Murder in Babylon' by Graham Phillips. Although I haven't finished it, it's a fairly interesting read that highlights a range of scenarios by which the Macedonian king fell ill and died. It deconstructs a number of personal profiles and touches on any potential motives from a range of people, who would ultimately benefit from Alexander's death.

Here are a few points made in introductory sections of the book.

At the time, Macedonia was a small and insignificant kingdom on the world stage. Roughly 350 kilometres from east to west and 200 kilometres from north to south, it covered an area no bigger than modern Scotland and was about the same size as the state of South Carolina. Macedonia lay immediately to the north of Greece and, although an ethnically distinct country, over the years it had absorbed much of the Greek culture and even spoke the language...
        ...More sophisticated, better armed and organised, the Greeks already occupied large tracts of what had once been southern Macedonia.
        The book is mainly focused on the circumstances of his death, but there are a few distinct ethnic divisions between Macedonians and Greeks throughout the accounts.

Sorry if I've derailed the thread, but it may be of interest to George and others here.
        Last edited by EgejskaMakedonia; 11-11-2011, 09:04 PM.

Comment

• United MKD
          • Jul 2011

Definitely EM, very nicely said by the author there. At my uni library I'm always taking out books on Macedonia, whether Ancient or recent history, it's good to get away from my actual study area

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
            • Sep 2008

Death of Alexander

This discussion has been transferred from the below thread which I would like to keep reserved for relative quotes:

that was very intersting SOM.I can't quote his speeches but i like the way alexander talked to his soldiers before the battles & lifted their spirits.Very motivating.Alexander told them that they were macedonians & were free men unlike the enemies they fought.I think his speeches inspired his army to fight on fercely
            In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.

Comment

• EgejskaMakedonia
              • Jan 2010

Originally posted by United MKD View Post
              Definitely EM, very nicely said by the author there. At my uni library I'm always taking out books on Macedonia, whether Ancient or recent history, it's good to get away from my actual study area
              Yeh, ancient history is definitely one of the most interesting, yet something I haven't done extensive research on in regards to Macedonia. What's the range like at your uni library? I'll have to take a trip to the local library or state library one of these days and have a look around. Can't go wrong with purchasing online though, especially since there are a number of books that are impossible to find in the local book store or library.

Comment

Working...
              X