Banned
    • May 2011

Kosova is Albanian for Kosovo don't use it on this Forum

Comment

• Onur
      • Apr 2010

Originally posted by Zarni View Post
      Kosova is Albanian for Kosovo don't use it on this Forum
      Kos-ova and all other -ova town/city names are from Ottoman era and it`s Turkish version of it. Albanians still uses it that way today instead of slavic -ovo.

I just checked wikipedia and it says that Kos-ovo means "field of blackbirds" in Serbian language but the word "ovo" has any etymology in slavic languages? What is the meaning of it? I am asking because "ova" means "field" in Turkish and that word existed before 7th century. It also has a second meaning as "home, property". No need to mention, there are 1000s of towns in Turkey with the word "-ova".

I can explain most [if not all] of the city names in Balkans with the word "-ovo" by using Turkic etymology;
      Haskovo; Clean field
      Kumanovo; The field of Cumans
      Sarajevo; The field of palaces
      Kicevo; The field with apricot and/or plum trees. "Kic" actually means the resin of these type of trees.
      Krusevo; "Kuru" is an idiom meaning "plain, worthless, desolate, destitute"

I can go on like that...

Btw "Ova" means field in Serbian or any other slavic language??? If Kosovo means "field of blackbirds" in Serbian as it says in wikipedia, then -ovo means "field" in Serbian but is that so? Do you have any explanation for slavic languages SOM???

Comment

• Po-drum
        • Mar 2009

What is connection between slavic "obitel" and greek "spiti"??
        Macedonia - my shoulders from ruins and skies

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
          • Sep 2008

The Greek word 'spiti' comes from Latin 'hospitium'. The Slavic word 'obitel' comes from 'oba' (both), from which other words can be formed such as 'obiti' (wrap, bind), 'obitel' (lodging, monastery) - essentially a place where people come together.
          In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
            • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Onur View Post
            I just checked wikipedia and it says that Kos-ovo means "field of blackbirds" in Serbian language but the word "ovo" has any etymology in slavic languages? What is the meaning of it?
            Onur, you need to check again. The word 'pole' means field, hence, Kosovo Polje. The word 'kosovo' is simply the neuter possessive adjective of 'kos' which means 'blackbird'. Such word endings are very common in most if not all Slavic languages.
            I am asking because "ova" means "field" in Turkish and that word existed before 7th century. It also has a second meaning as "home, property". No need to mention, there are 1000s of towns in Turkey with the word "-ova".
            Can you name any of them?
            I can explain most [if not all] of the city names in Balkans with the word "-ovo" by using Turkic etymology;
            Haskovo; Clean field
            Kicevo; The field with apricot and/or plum trees. "Kic" actually means the resin of these type of trees.
            The root words of placenames like Kumanovo, Sarajevo and Haskovo are foreign, but their formation is Slavic. As for Krusevo, the root word is 'krusha', which means 'pear' in Macedonian. I also doubt that Kicevo is Turkish. You seem to be experimenting with folk etymology.
            In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.

Comment

• Onur
              • Apr 2010

Originally posted by Soldier of Macedon View Post
              The Slavic word 'obitel' comes from 'oba' (both), from which other words can be formed such as 'obiti' (wrap, bind), 'obitel' (lodging, monastery) - essentially a place where people come together.
              It looks like i found another common word between slavic and turkic languages which predates Ottoman era. "Oba" also means a place where people come together in all Turkic languages. It`s a very old word used in nomadic days which can be translated as encampment spot of a nomadic group. I can give you an example turkish sentence for which you can also understand like "Oba(mi) ova(ya) kur(dum)", meaning "I set up my encampment on the field". The word "kurdum" is the verb variation of the noun "kurgan" which also means tumulus.

Also the word "oba" is clearly related with the word "ova" which i have asked to you SOM in another thread yesterday;
              Kos-ova and all other -ova town/city names are from Ottoman era and it`s Turkish version of it. Albanians still uses it that way today instead of slavic -ovo.

I just checked wikipedia and it says that Kos-ovo means "field of blackbirds" in Serbian language but the word "ovo" has any etymology in slavic languages? What is the meaning of it? I am asking because "ova" means "field" in Turkish and that word existed before 7th century. It also has a second meaning as "home, property". No need to mention, there are 1000s of towns in Turkey with the word "-ova".

Haskovo; Clean field

I can go on like that...

Btw "Ova" means field in Serbian or any other slavic language??? If Kosovo means "field of blackbirds" in Serbian as it says in wikipedia, then -ovo means "field" in Serbian but is that so? Do you have any explanation for slavic languages SOM???
              The word "oba" exists in all slavic languages or just in Macedonian???

Comment

• slovenec zrinski
                • Sep 2008

In slovenian we say for example "oba dva" = both of us, so it apparently exists in Slovenian as well...

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
                  • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Onur
                  The word "oba" exists in all slavic languages or just in Macedonian???
                  It would exist in all of them in one form or another. It was most likely first recorded in Old Macedonian, and is cognate with Baltic 'abi' which has the same meaning. It could also be related to the English word 'both'. The Turkish word 'oba' seems to mean something like a 'tent' and 'ova' means a field like you suggested on the other thread, so I am not sure if they are even related to each other let alone to the Slavic words.

Comment

• Onur
                    • Apr 2010

The meaning of "oba" slightly changed in Turkish because there are no nomads or "oba"s in our lives anymore but it`s main sense is "encampment spot" [of nomad groups]. If you checked google translate, it doesn't give full meaning of it but this web site has better Turkish-English dictionary;

Why would i lie to you anyway, why you are so skeptical???

Btw, the word "abi" means "senior, elder, wise men who has experience, elder relative" in general Turkic.

Comment

• Po-drum
                      • Mar 2009

The Greek word 'spiti' comes from Latin 'hospitium'. The Slavic word 'obitel' comes from 'oba' (both), from which other words can be formed such as 'obiti' (wrap, bind), 'obitel' (lodging, monastery) - essentially a place where people come together.
                      So there is no substantial connection between this words.

I was searching about simillarities between slavic "sloboda" and corresponding words in another indo-european languages. This is something which could be connected:

e/ le f te ria
                      s/ lo b oda (rija - arch. form)

But I have found "eleutheria" is also used in Latin. Is this word greek or borrrowing by latin?
                      Macedonia - my shoulders from ruins and skies

Comment

• Voltron
                        Banned
                        • Jan 2011

The greek word for house is actually "oikia" from the noun "oikos" which means house, household or family.

Eleftheria is Greek and comes from " Eleftheros ' which means free.

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
                          • Sep 2008

The meaning of "oba" slightly changed in Turkish because there are no nomads or "oba"s in our lives anymore but it`s main sense is "encampment spot" [of nomad groups]. If you checked google translate, it doesn't give full meaning of it but this web site has better Turkish-English dictionary;

Why would i lie to you anyway, why you are so skeptical???

Btw, the word "abi" means "senior, elder, wise men who has experience, elder relative" in general Turkic.
                          Onur, first of all, can you stop writing like a 6 year old with multiple question marks????????? Seriously, it is quite annoying. Second, you're trying to connect words that don't appear to have any relation to each other, which is the reason why I am skeptical. I never suggested that you lied, I just don't agree with your understanding on how the words are related. Even in the link you provided the main word for 'oba' is a tent, and that is how it would appear to be related to an encampment. I could be wrong, but then again you could do a much better job in being convincing. As for 'abi', this is yet another one of your attempts at folk etymology and has nothing to do with the Baltic word.
                          Originally posted by Po-drum
                          e/ le f te ria
                          s/ lo b oda (rija - arch. form)
                          They are probably cognate based on the sound changes b/f and d/th. The 's' at the beginning of the Macedonian word may indicate that the Greek word 'eleftheria' initially began with a 'k' or a 'h' but dropped it at some point.
                          Originally posted by Voltron
                          The greek word for house is actually "oikia" from the noun "oikos" which means house, household or family.
                          That is the ancient Greek word. I have never heard a Greek use any other word aside from 'spiti' for a house.

Comment

• Voltron
                            Banned
                            • Jan 2011

That is the ancient Greek word. I have never heard a Greek use any other word aside from 'spiti' for a house.
                            Yes, Spiti is the most common term for house. But once in while you'll still hear people use the original term Oikia.

Comment

• Bill77
                              • Oct 2009

Originally posted by Voltron View Post
                              Yes, Spiti is the most common term for house. But once in while you'll still hear people use the original term Oikia.
                              I deal with Greeks alot.

Never heard of the word.
                              http://www.macedoniantruth.org/forum/showthread.php?p=120873#post120873

Comment

• Voltron
                                Banned
                                • Jan 2011

Diasporites dont use it as much. Over here in Greece I have heard it being used. Just saying.

Comment

Working...
                                X