X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • UMDiaspora.org
    • Oct 2009

Macedonia's Name and UN Negotiations

UMD will be sending out a survey to its membership today. One of the questions will be "Currently, Macedonia is engaged in negotiations under UN auspices with Greece regarding its name. What is your view regarding the position UMD should take on the future of these talks?"

In addition to its membership, UMD would like to poll members of this forum as well.
    For comments, questions, concerns, please contact us at:

United Macedonian Diaspora
    http://www.umdiaspora.org

1101 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW, 6th Floor, Washington, D.C. 20004, United States
    Phone: (202) 756-2244, Fax: (202) 756-7323, E-mail: [email protected]

PO Box 2153, Hawthorn, Vic. 3122, Australia
    Phone: 0438 385 466, E-mail: [email protected]

3555 St. Clair Avenue East, Toronto, ON, M1K 1L6, Canada
    Phone: 416-209-0448, E-mail: [email protected]

Comment

• UMDiaspora.org
      • Oct 2009

Improving Macedonia's Image

UMD will be conducting a survey of its membership this month. One of the questions of the survey will be:

"What do you recommend UMD do to help Macedonia improve its worldwide public image, economically, politically and culturally? What can UMD do to better promote awareness about Macedonia, Macedonian heritage, Macedonian history, Macedonia's investment potential, etc...?"

UMD's Board of Directors will hold their annual meeting at the end of this month and your views will be brought to their attention to take into consideration on future UMD policy.

Comment

• Prolet
        • Sep 2009

Originally posted by TajnataKniga View Post
        meaning my parents and i were born outside of macedonia, my grandparents too, my great grandfather migrated from macedonia. does that make sense to you?
        TK, You are from USA?

I prefer the sun of kutlesh, however people have fought and died under the current flag dont think its a good idea to spit on it.
        МАКЕДОНЕЦ си кога кавал ќе ти ја распара душата,зурла ќе ти го раскине срцето,кога секое влакно од кожата ќе ти се наежи кога ќе видиш шеснаесеткрако сонце,кога до коска ќе те заболи кога ќе слушнеш ПЈРМ,кога немаш ни за леб,а полн си во душата затоа што ја сакаш МАКЕДОНИЈА. МАКЕДОНИЈА во срце те носиме.

Comment

• Risto the Great
          • Sep 2008

The UMD should help itself before it offers to help Macedonia.

1. It needs to explain the statements by its leaders relating to negotiating the name of Macedonia and acceptance of the interim accord in the past and reconcile them with UMD policy.
          2. It needs to think about whether its job is to help Macedonia improve its worldwide public image, economically, politically and culturally? Whether it should promote awareness about Macedonia, Macedonian heritage, Macedonian history, Macedonia's investment potential, etc.. Whether promoting the wishes of the Macedonian Diaspora is first and foremost is in their vision.

There is more I am sure.
          Risto the Great
          MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
          "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com

Comment

• UMDiaspora.org
            • Oct 2009

Macedonia is the homeland of all Macedonians. UMD believes that helping Macedonia become a socio-economically stable nation-state is our duty. We would appreciate your views on how we (UMD) can help Macedonia. However, this discussion will not necessarily be advice for just UMD, but hopefully for all Macedonian organizations and people working in the best interest of the Macedonian cause.

Comment

• Vangelovski
              • Sep 2008

Meto, I think you know what the clear majority of the Diaspora's thought's are on this question. Not only that, but it is the opinion of the great majority of Australian Macedonians that the Interim Accord should be declared null and void.
              If my people who are called by my name will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sins and restore their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14

The Revolution was in the minds and hearts of the people; a change in their religious sentiments, of their duties and obligations...This radical change in the principles, opinions, sentiments, and affections of the people was the real American Revolution. John Adams

Comment

• Vangelovski
                • Sep 2008

I agree with RtG, that UMD needs to help itself first. It may be able to do this by holding elections for its Board and then developing a whole new policy stance towards issues of Macedonian interest. Until it does that, I don't see how it can help Macedonia in any way, shape or form.
                If my people who are called by my name will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sins and restore their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14

The Revolution was in the minds and hearts of the people; a change in their religious sentiments, of their duties and obligations...This radical change in the principles, opinions, sentiments, and affections of the people was the real American Revolution. John Adams

Comment

• UMDiaspora.org
                  • Oct 2009

Mr. Vangelovski (this is nothing new to you as you were a part of UMD then and have copies of the minutes of all meetings), on February 16, 2008, founders and activists of UMD (in consultation of those from Australia who were not able to participate) held an organizational meeting in which the following individuals were appointed to serve on the Board of Directors:

1. Mr. Boban Jovanovski
                  2. Mr. Metodija A. Koloski
                  3. Mr. Denis Manevski
                  4. Mr. Aleksandar Mitreski
                  5. Mr. Chris Purdef
                  6. Mr. Michael A. Sarafin
                  7. Mr. Tom Vangelovski
                  8. Ms. Marina Veljanovska
                  9. Mr. Igor Zvezdaksoski

At the same meeting, an appointment of initial executive officers was made:

1. Mr. Metodija A. Koloski, President
                  2. Mr. Aleksandar Mitreski, Vice-President
                  3. Mr. Michael A. Sarafin, Secretary
                  4. Mr. Denis Manevski, Treasurer
                  5. Mr. Tom Vangelovski, Managing Director of Australian Operations

Prior to 2008, UMD had a committee of founders and volunteers/activists. UMD's Bylaws were approved on February 16, 2008 with your consent. UMD's bylaws, which came into effect on February 16, 2008, states that members of the Board are to be elected to serve a period of three years. Members of the Board shall be elected by voting members of the organization. Executive Officers are elected by the Board. UMD will hold its first elections for Board of Directors in 2011. Only members of UMD in good standing will be considered voting members and thus will be able to vote in 2011.

The founders of UMD are as follows:

Hristina Bojadzieva
                  Steve Gligorov
                  Boban Jovanovski
                  Metodija A. Koloski
                  Denis Manevski
                  Zak Milenkovski
                  Aleksandar Mitreski
                  Chris M. Purdef
                  Tom Vangelovski
                  Marina Veljanovska

However, this discussion is not about elections, or UMD's Board, etc...this discussion is about how to improve Macedonia's image in the world.

Comment

• UMDiaspora.org
                    • Oct 2009

Thank you Vangelovski for partaking in UMD's survey.

Comment

• UMDiaspora.org
                      • Oct 2009

UMD Global Conference Commemorative Journal

UMD Global Conference Commemorative Journal
                      Download your Copy

The UMD Global Conference (UMD GC09) Commemorative Journal , designed by Irena Pejovic, at Koiko Design, one of our UMD GC09 sponsors, is an example of UMD's work over the last five years and is now available for download.

Please download your copy today:

A copy of the journal was provided to all 350 conference participants.

Comment

• Vangelovski
                        • Sep 2008

Meto,

You know very well that I didn't provide my consent to UMDs by-laws, in fact I opposed some aspects of them vigorously and was of the opinion that UMD state its position on key policy issues in the by-laws. Early 2008 is when I left the organisation. As for what you did with those by-laws, I have no idea - I left before they were finalised.

I understand that all organisations have founding members who make up the first management committee or Board of Directors, however, five years on with supposedly 4000 members, surely an election should have been held at some stage to keep UMD representative of its members, rather than have policy dictated by a handful of Board members.

"Members of good standing"? You mean cheerleaders? What about the rest of the fee paying members? Taxation without representation?
                        Last edited by Vangelovski; 01-10-2010, 08:28 PM.

Comment

• UMDiaspora.org
                          • Oct 2009

You did and participated in the drafting and were a Board member when the Bylaws were approved by the Board. You resigned later.

Bylaws are operational documents not policy documents. UMD's Bylaws state UMD's positions and mission statement which are on the UMD website as well, and have been clear since day one. UMD's positions and mission statement were in the Articles of Incorporation.

If you read Robert's Rules of Order, a member of good standing, in the case of UMD, means anyone and everyone who pays their membership dues. UMD's different membership categories can be viewed by clicking here http://www.acteva.com/booking.cfm?bevaID=137419. Thus, all members are members in good standing, since they pay their membership dues. If someone was a member in 2006 and then doesn't pay their membership dues till 2011, they would not be considered a member in good standing. The elections committee would analyze this according to the Bylaws and decide whether this member will be eligible to vote.

We will end here as the topic of this discussion is not UMD Bylaws, membership, Vangelovski or anything else. Please e-mail [email protected] if you would like to inquire more about UMD's bylaws or membership.

We look forward to people's views on improving Macedonia's image.

Comment

• Vangelovski
                            • Sep 2008

Meto,

Its very revealing that you even need to undertake such a survey. Is this how out of touch you really are with the issues facing the Macedonian people and their thoughts on these matters?

Or, is this an attempt to show that UMD listens to its members (and non-members) on policy, rather than take action to make UMD accountable to its members and representative of their views?

Comment

• Vangelovski
                              • Sep 2008

Originally posted by UMDiaspora.org View Post
                              You did and participated in the drafting and were a Board member when the Bylaws were approved by the Board. You resigned later.

Bylaws are operational documents not policy documents. UMD's Bylaws state UMD's positions and mission statement which are on the UMD website as well, and have been clear since day one. UMD's positions and mission statement were in the Articles of Incorporation.

If you read Robert's Rules of Order, a member of good standing, in the case of UMD, means anyone and everyone who pays their membership dues. UMD's different membership categories can be viewed by clicking here http://www.acteva.com/booking.cfm?bevaID=137419. Thus, all members are members in good standing, since they pay their membership dues. If someone was a member in 2006 and then doesn't pay their membership dues till 2011, they would not be considered a member in good standing. The elections committee would analyze this according to the Bylaws and decide whether this member will be eligible to vote.

We will end here as the topic of this discussion is not UMD Bylaws, membership, Vangelovski or anything else. Please e-mail [email protected] if you would like to inquire more about UMD's bylaws or membership.

We look forward to people's views on improving Macedonia's image.
                              I certainly participated in the "discussions" about the by-laws, but I never provided my consent, particularly for the level of power you were proposing for the position of President. In fact, I think I argued for Australian UMD autonomy.

You just contradicted yourself re the by-laws and whether policy positions should be included in them. You may want to revise that.

Thank you for the clarification re "members of good standing". I agree that that is the generally accepted principle in democratic organisations.

This is not Maknews and you don't have Lubi to end discussions when its not pleasing to you.

Comment

• UMDiaspora.org
                                • Oct 2009

Thank you Vangelovski for your questions. Per the suggestion of our Board of Directors, UMD will issue policy statements (forthcoming) yearly on issues concerning Macedonians and Macedonian communities throughout the world. Policy is developed by surveying our members, non-members, and communities; discussions; conferences; roundtables; focus groups, etc... The volunteer team working on these policy statements has been working diligently to draft these policy statements.

We will announce through our mailing list and post on our website, this Forum and other Forums, our policy statements once approved by the Board of Directors. We envision this to occur in the coming weeks.

Stay tuned...

Comment

Working...
                                X