Edinstveni Makedonski Zborovi - Unique Macedonian Words (postable)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Soldier of Macedon
    • Sep 2008

That is correct, 'sardisani sne' would mean 'we are surrounded'.
    In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
      • Sep 2008

Does anybody know the origin of the Macedonian word 'pečalba'? Is it an Ottoman loan? It is also used by Bulgars and Serbs.
      In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.

Comment

• Risto the Great
        • Sep 2008

I thought it came from "winning".
        Have you heard the word "pečali" as an alternative to "dobi"?

Or it could have come from Charlie Sheen.
        Risto the Great
        MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
        "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com

Comment

• George S.
          • Aug 2009

it is probably an ottoman word for creating wealth .pecalba,pecalbar,pecalbari,pecali.
          Last edited by George S.; 12-03-2011, 04:17 PM. Reason: ede
          "Ido not want an uprising of people that would leave me at the first failure, I want revolution with citizens able to bear all the temptations to a prolonged struggle, what, because of the fierce political conditions, will be our guide or cattle to the slaughterhouse"
          GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• makedonche
            • Oct 2008

Originally posted by Risto the Great View Post
            I thought it came from "winning".
            Have you heard the word "pečali" as an alternative to "dobi"?

Or it could have come from Charlie Sheen.
            RTG
            Isn't "winning" - spechali?
            Could possibly have to do with "pechi" - to cook/fry? Pecalba = cookes/panfried? - just a thought.
            On Delchev's sarcophagus you can read the following inscription: "We swear the future generations to bury these sacred bones in the capital of Independent Macedonia. August 1923 Illinden"

Comment

• Risto the Great
              • Sep 2008

I wasn't 100% on the prefix Makedonche. I'm positive they have the same etymology though. [ispečali or spečali]
              Risto the Great
              MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
              "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
                • Sep 2008

A common insult in Macedonia is "da ti ebam spečala", I wonder if it also has something to do with it, if so, then it would mean something like "fuck your prosperity" or something along those lines, lol, pardon the french.

Comment

• George S.
                  • Aug 2009

"Da ti ja ebam pecalbata. or pecalia?Like people think it's not worth what it's supposed to be.You give your heart & soul for what?For money & then you are too old to enjoy the fruits of your labours.I have seen some people use the specalba??
                  Last edited by George S.; 12-04-2011, 01:05 PM. Reason: ed
                  "Ido not want an uprising of people that would leave me at the first failure, I want revolution with citizens able to bear all the temptations to a prolonged struggle, what, because of the fierce political conditions, will be our guide or cattle to the slaughterhouse"
                  GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• Дени
                    • May 2010

Originally posted by United MKD View Post
                    For watermelon I say 'karpus' which is Turk I'm sure, while the Macedonian reference is 'lubenica'.
                    Карпуз is from Turkish, and they got it from Persian (kharboze, 'melon').

Originally posted by United MKD View Post
                    Another one is for a hand cloth I would say 'krpa' while for a towel I would say 'riza' or 'peshkir'. I'm not too sure about the word peshkir or where it derives from. I know many who say krpa for a towel and cloth as one.
                    Also Turkish (peşkir) and also originally from Persian (pishgir).

We also have рачник for hand cloth, убрус for face cloth, and пештемал (you guessed it, also a Turkish loan) for those big towels used to dry off after bathing/swimming. All of these are quite rare.

Originally posted by Soldier of Macedon View Post
                    The only time I differentiate is by adding the diminutive suffix 'che' to the word 'krpa', so 'krpche' for a smaller towel.
                    Same here.

Originally posted by George S. View Post
                    Does anyone know the word for bostan where did that originate?.which is the farming of watermelons,rockmelons.It sounds kind of turkish.
                    Turkish again (bostan < Persian bustaan).

Originally posted by batispecela View Post
                    Калезба (Kalezba) - invitation
                    I have a feeling it might be Turkish or even Greek? Saw an interview with Vaskopoulos on youtube the other day and he said kalezba which meant good news (invitation or good news for an event)
                    You're right, it's Greek. The Macedonian калезба / калезма comes from κάλεσμα and means "wedding/party invitation".

Earlier in this thread there are some words mentioned like bendisa, kandisa, udisa, sardisa and sandisa, where the ending of the words are the same. I see that in the song 'so maki sum se rodila' there is also the word paraldisa(at). Anybody know what that means exactly?
                    Parıldamak seems convincing enough.

Does anybody know the origin of the Macedonian word 'pečalba'? Is it an Ottoman loan? It is also used by Bulgars and Serbs.
                    It comes from печал (PSl. *реčаlĭ). It's a Macedonian loanword in Serbian (see here).

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
                      • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Дени View Post
                      Parıldamak seems convincing enough.
                      Welcome back Дени. That does look convincing. What about the word 'bendisa', do you think that is an Ottoman loan also?
                      It comes from печал (PSl. *реčаlĭ). It's a Macedonian loanword in Serbian (see here).
                      How did this word enter Serbian from Macedonian?

Comment

• Дени
                        • May 2010

Welcome back Дени.
                        Thank you.

What about the word 'bendisa', do you think that is an Ottoman loan also?
                        Most definitely from beğenmek.

EDIT: Just came across this too.

How did this word enter Serbian from Macedonian?
                        Not sure, I'm only going by what HJP says.
                        Last edited by Дени; 12-11-2011, 05:26 AM.

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
                          • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Дени View Post
                          Most definitely from beğenmek.
                          Thanks for the link. How would bendisa develop from beğenmek? Is it because Macedonian dropped the internal syllable or was the nasal feature applied to the -g which turned it into -nd? If it did develop from this Turkish word, is there a pattern of other Macedonian words developing in the same manner? What about the recurring -(d)isa suffix in words like bendisa, kandisa, paraldisa, etc, how does that fit into the picture?
                          Not sure, I'm only going by what HJP says.
                          It could be as a result of our literature from the 19th century being exposed to them.

Comment

• Дени
                            • May 2010

Thanks for the link. How would bendisa develop from beğenmek? Is it because Macedonian dropped the internal syllable or was the nasal feature applied to the -g which turned it into -nd?
                            <Ğ> is a sort of silent letter. The -mek / -mak is just an inflectional suffix.

If it did develop from this Turkish word, is there a pattern of other Macedonian words developing in the same manner? What about the recurring -(d)isa suffix in words like bendisa, kandisa, paraldisa, etc, how does that fit into the picture?
                            Seems like it. I've been trying to compare Turkish and Macedonian variants, but I'm not noticing any pattern which would explain that -д-. Anyway, here's a little excerpt from Граматика на македонскиот јазик:

§ 279. -са. Оваа наставка што се јавува и со повеќе проширувања, по потекло е од грчкиот јазик, па се среќава главно и во глаголи примени од грчкиот и турскиот јазик, кои се речиси сите од свршен вид: киниса, ареса, наваса, вјаса (несвршено), курдиса, куртулиса, тептиса, бојадиса. Проширена во -оса, -јоса таа се придава и кон некои наши зборови: црвоса, гнојоса, сироса, чевлоса се, брадоса, песоса се, петлоса, тревјоса. Сп.: очите крвјосаа — брадосаните мажи (В. Малески). — А пак едни велеле дека била млада Катерина, затоа се свапиросала (М. Цепенков).

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
                              • Sep 2008

Do you agree with that assessment, namely, that it is a result of Greek influence? Does the same apply for the word 'you' облечи се and оди си?

Comment

• Дени
                                • May 2010

Perhaps Onur would be kind enough to list a few of the different paradigms of each verb.
                                • бајалдиса : bayılmak
                                • бендиса : beğenmek
                                • илдиса : ilmek
                                • кандиса : kandırmak
                                • капладиса : kaplamak
                                • кирлиса : kirletmek ~ kirlenmek
                                • сардиса : sarmak

Do you agree with that assessment, namely, that it is a result of Greek influence?
                                Yes, from the Greek -σα. It's actually very old and was used in the oldest OCS texts for Greek loans (one example I remember is власфимисати, 'to blaspheme' < βλασφημῶ, ἐβλασφήμησα).

Does the same apply for the word 'you' облечи се and оди си?
                                No, those clitics are related to себе.
                                Last edited by Дени; 12-11-2011, 08:25 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X