Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Vangelovski
    • Sep 2008

I have to disagree that Macedonia's constitution provides the Government with the "right" or the "authority" to negotiate our state name. I see a number of people on here believe the Government does have this "right" or "authority" and I would like to see exactly why they believe this.
    If my people who are called by my name will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sins and restore their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14

The Revolution was in the minds and hearts of the people; a change in their religious sentiments, of their duties and obligations...This radical change in the principles, opinions, sentiments, and affections of the people was the real American Revolution. John Adams

Comment

• Rogi
      • Sep 2008

Warrior, what does UMD have to do with the Macedonian Film Festival in Melbourne which is organised by the independent Macedonian Film Festival Inc. and how does sponsorship of the Macedonian Film Festival in Melbourne in any way relate to UMD? They are not related organisations.

You seem to have your wires crossed about the Macedonian organisations and groups in the Diaspora.

Comment

• Rogi
        • Sep 2008

When I get back to Melbourne I can post in more detail, or if I find the emails describing it in detail from Constitutional Law experts in Macedonia who I asked, then I'll forward them on to you privately... but it generally relates to the powers described in articles 119,131 and Amendment X which basically say the Government (and the Assembly) can sign any international / bilateral agreements and the buck stops with them and the Assembly has the power to change the Constitution at will.

Comment

• Jankovska
          • Sep 2008

It's very simple. This gov did not start to nagotiate our name, it's way before their time.This gov did not promise that they will stop it if elected, they were promesing EU and NATO membership and we know the only way to get into EU and NATO? With all that we voted in a democratic elections and we chose this gov to lead us and go ahead with their promises and programme which we already were familiar with. We gave them power and their are using and and working with it. We are the only ones who can take it away from them but honestly they are not doing anything wrong. If I came to your house to do your garden and I told you what I plan to do and you said go ahead and than you don't like it, how is that my fault? The Macedonians should have demand stop to these stupid talks before electing a gov, that should have been the basis for a good gov. I am no supporter of the gov, of a name change or any politician present and past. But I know right from wrong

Comment

• Phoenix
            • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Jankovska View Post
            UMD is an organisation that is working for the Macedonian question and trying to unite the Macedonian Diaspora and work for the best of Macedonia. When it comes to Macedonia's own problems in the end the Macedonians of the republic are on their own or the Egejci or everyone. We all very good at kicking up a stink but in the end it's only few of us.
            I am a member of the UMD and I appreciate everything that they are doing, it is hard work and it is not easy to lead an organisation, you will not be able to please everyone. I do not like the closenes of the UMD with America because I see America as one of our problems and one of the countires that fucked up Macedonia big time. I am against our soliders being in Afganistan and I belive they should be brought back home straight away. We have no business in Afganistan, especially supporting the country who armed the Albanians to start killing us. So I am against that.
            I agree with the UMD that the only way for Macedonia to join NATO and EU is to negotiate it's name and let's face it, change the name. That is absolutley true in every word. So knowing that why do we still want to join the EU? Why doesn't anyone think of other options? What is wrong with people? So I am against joing EU and NATO. It's all crap.
            Republica Macedonia Skopje is something that our gov wanted to accept so now I hear it was the UMD. I think this is humiliating and unaccaptable. I am glad Dora saw some sense and refused otherwise I would be a Skopjanka now and trust me I would hate to be a Skopjanka, I am Palancanka.
            The good thing about the UMD is that they stand strong, they did make the Macedonian cause known, they work hard and they do what they think it's best.
            Few of us probably don't agree with their policy but they are public and they have told us what they stand for. Start are new org maybe?
            Jankovska, most Macedonians dont approve of our soldiers being in Afghanistan, most Macedonians are uncomfortable with America's involvement in Macedonia...so why does UMD convey a totally inaccurate reflection of those feelings...that's where UMD generates a great deal of criticism from the diaspora.

Comment

• Alpha
              Banned
              • Jan 2010

Well...Ivanov seems to think there is popular support in macedonia for your troops in afghanistan. Just hope they take part in non combatative role in that black hole of a country.

Comment

• UMDiaspora.org
                • Oct 2009

United for Macedonia's Future Tour of Australia and New Zealand

The United Macedonian Diaspora is pleased to announce that its President from Washington, D.C., Metodija A. Koloski, will be on a United for Macedonia's Future Speaking Tour of Australia and New Zealand during February 2010. Click HERE for official flyer.
                For comments, questions, concerns, please contact us at:

United Macedonian Diaspora
                http://www.umdiaspora.org

1101 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW, 6th Floor, Washington, D.C. 20004, United States
                Phone: (202) 756-2244, Fax: (202) 756-7323, E-mail: [email protected]

PO Box 2153, Hawthorn, Vic. 3122, Australia
                Phone: 0438 385 466, E-mail: [email protected]

3555 St. Clair Avenue East, Toronto, ON, M1K 1L6, Canada
                Phone: 416-209-0448, E-mail: [email protected]

Comment

• UMDiaspora.org
                  • Oct 2009

Macedonia makes it on New York Times Top 31 Places to Travel in 2010

From palm-fringed beaches in Bahia to the wilds of Norway, travel choices for nomads have never been more compelling.
                  For comments, questions, concerns, please contact us at:

United Macedonian Diaspora
                  http://www.umdiaspora.org

1101 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW, 6th Floor, Washington, D.C. 20004, United States
                  Phone: (202) 756-2244, Fax: (202) 756-7323, E-mail: [email protected]

PO Box 2153, Hawthorn, Vic. 3122, Australia
                  Phone: 0438 385 466, E-mail: [email protected]

3555 St. Clair Avenue East, Toronto, ON, M1K 1L6, Canada
                  Phone: 416-209-0448, E-mail: [email protected]

Comment

• Daskalot
                    • Sep 2008

Not bad, thank you UMDiaspora.org for the heads up!
                    Macedonian Truth Organisation

Comment

• Bratot
                      • Sep 2008

The 31 Places to Go in 2010

21. Macedonia

One of the deepest lakes on the planet, with a dazzling Unesco World Heritage site of ancient dwellings rising high above its shores, Lake Ohrid in Macedonia is a local vacation star poised for greater international acclaim.

In the tiered, terra-cotta-roofed city of Ohrid, 18 miles from the Albanian border, a lakefront settlement dating back to Neolithic times, Macedonians boast that on their side of the lake is a church, monastery or mosque for every day of the year, each full of resplendent frescoes, mosaics and icons. Notable attractions include the recently renovated church of St. Clement and St. Panteleimon at Plaosnik, an epic Byzantine masterpiece, and the 13th-century St. John of Kaneo, a limestone and brick monastery that juts out over transparent blue waters.

An estimated $50 million renovation of the Ohrid Airport is planned for 2010, with more international flights expected by summer, and up to six new luxury hotels are in the works, including a $33 million property with construction scheduled to begin in March. Tourist attractions on Ohrid’s beaches were upgraded last year with swank bars and dining spots complimented by bamboo and leather couchettes, with the hot spot Cuba Libre (www.cubalibreohrid.com) leading the way.

Meanwhile, new government-financed archaeological digs around the lake regularly unearth treasures, like the 17 fifth-century tombs discovered last July. The find follows the 2008 opening of the Museum on Water, a re-created Bronze Age village built on stilts incorporating Ohrid artifacts. — Dinah Spritzer
                      The purpose of the media is not to make you to think that the name must be changed, but to get you into debate - what name would suit us! - Bratot

Comment

• indigen
                        • May 2009

Originally posted by Phoenix View Post
                        Warrior, i reckon you're right on the money...
                        There is also the possibility of Meto (UMD) towing the Mk gov line and, with MPO support, getting elected as an DPMNE MP for North America or, failing that and providing DPMNE wins the next election, some other appointment by them for services rendered, much like what happened with a couple of MAFA executive members.

Diaspora politics will be interesting in 2012 or before next election in Mk.

Comment

• Vangelovski
                          • Sep 2008

In my view, the purpose of a good constitution is to limit the power of the government so that it cannot be exercised arbitrarily. Generally, a constitution outlines the structure of Government, establishes necessary institutions and specifies their duties and responsibilities. A constitution provides authority to the government to carry out its duties and meet its responsibilities as defined by the constitution.

Therefore, a government is limited by the constitution and can exercise it powers only as specifically provided for by that constitution. Further, a government should not (though it happens in practice) arbitrarily amend its constitution (the highest law in the land) without the express consent of the people – as its very authority is derived from the people – let alone in response to the demands of a foreign power.

Further, I’m yet to see a constitution that provides the government with a “right”. Rights are usually recognised in relation to individuals and usually defence of their liberty.

You stated that there is nothing in the constitution that forbids the government from negotiating. That is assuming that the government has unlimited power and authority and must be expressly ‘forbidden’ to exercise it in certain instances, otherwise it is free to exercise power as it sees fit. I would turn that upside down and say that in the western constitutional tradition, a government has limited powers in that it is not free to do as it pleases and can only exercise the powers expressly provided to it under its constitution.

Nowhere in the Macedonian Constitution do I see the Macedonian Government been provided a duty, responsibility or authority, let alone the “right”, to negotiate changes to the constitution with a foreign power. Such authority cannot be assumed and must be expressly provided by the people, which it has not.
                          If my people who are called by my name will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sins and restore their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14

The Revolution was in the minds and hearts of the people; a change in their religious sentiments, of their duties and obligations...This radical change in the principles, opinions, sentiments, and affections of the people was the real American Revolution. John Adams

Comment

• Phoenix
                            • Dec 2008

Originally posted by indigen View Post
                            There is also the possibility of Meto (UMD) towing the Mk gov line and, with MPO support, getting elected as an DPMNE MP for North America or, failing that and providing DPMNE wins the next election, some other appointment by them for services rendered, much like what happened with a couple of MAFA executive members.

Diaspora politics will be interesting in 2012 or before next election in Mk.
                            Good point 'indigen'...

i just don't believe that the UMD leadership is working with Macedonia's best interests in mind, somebody is pulling their strings...but who are they, who stands to get most benefit from the current UMD strategy?

Personally, the things i find most disturbing about UMD are...

Their 'previous' willingness to entertain name (and identity) change

A reluctance to issue strong statements condemning European and American inaction at NATO and the EU (Council of Europe)

The failure of UMD to condemn the Interim Accord and Framework Agreement

UMD seeking out working partnerships with the likes of MPO

A general failure to convey the true views of the diaspora

Comment

• Risto the Great
                              • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Phoenix View Post
                              A general failure to convey the true views of the diaspora
                              This is really the crux isn't it.

And perhaps cultural elements do in fact distinguish Macedonians from Australia versus USA etc. I am not entirely convinced though as the commonality between all Macedonians in the Diaspora is the desire to set things right. I would like to think most people would see the Macedonian Cause as an attempt to define that desire. I think USA Macedonians would embrace the Cause without much convincing.
                              Risto the Great
                              MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
                              "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com

Comment

• Phoenix
                                • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Alpha View Post
                                Well...Ivanov seems to think there is popular support in macedonia for your troops in afghanistan. Just hope they take part in non combatative role in that black hole of a country.
                                Do you think that its about 'western notions' like 'popular support'...is the Macedonian electorate more concerned about standards of living or troop deployments...?

I think because of a variety of reasons that Ivanov's decision (not that its his alone) doesn't play on the average Macedonians mind, the average Macedonian voter is a bit more concerned about his day to day existence, not so much about where the government is sending its troops.

To date, Macedonian troops have been lucky not to have suffered deaths on the battlefield, I like to think that its because of their training, their professionalism and their character but I'm realistic enough to understand that the 'hand of fate' also plays a big part of whether their excellent record remains and I wish them the very best that it continues.
                                What do you think will happen if things start turning to shit for our troops in Afghanistan, nothing drives home the message of futility than body bags at the airport, thats when it starts getting really personal and really emotional and thats when we will get the only true gauge of 'popular support'...

Comment

Working...
                                X