• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Amphipolis
    Banned
    • Aug 2014

Originally posted by Spirit View Post
    Funny that and it’s true and I’m guilty of saying “Mashala” to my 8 month old daughter. I’m not doing it for superstitious reasons but out of habit
    Originally posted by Pelagonija View Post
    I always thought mashala was more like a comment regarding a job well done or another example like in reference to a healthy growing baby as against superstitious in nature. I used to play soccer with Turks. I remember the club hounding out “chorup” befor the match. Generally speaking I think we have a substantial amount of Turkish culture and inluence in ours.
    Originally posted by Bill77 View Post
    I was always scolded to say Mashala (God has willed it in Arabic) after complimenting how cute a baby was (za da ne go pochudam) Theory behind it is if you don't credit God (This Islamic god since the word originated from Arabs) he can take it away.

Or say "da go serat petlite" and or spit on them

Try translating and explaining that to a westerner (May Roosters shit on you) lol
    As a Greek I haven't heard this Machala or Chorup before, but we DO have the spiting part for babies (and not only for babies). Of course, we have to explain to foreigners that we don't literally spit (as they show it in "My Big Fat Greek Wedding")

Comment

• Bill77
      • Oct 2009

Originally posted by Amphipolis View Post
      Of course, we have to explain to foreigners that we don't literally spit (as they show it in "My Big Fat Greek Wedding")
      No, its just a symbolic act of spitting. Would love to know where it originated from and why.
      http://www.macedoniantruth.org/forum/showthread.php?p=120873#post120873

Comment

• Amphipolis
        Banned
        • Aug 2014

No, its just a symbolic act of spitting. Would love to know where it originated from and why.

Comment

• Bill77
          • Oct 2009

It doesn't answer my question as to where the spiting custom originated or why, just says its practiced in Greece amongst other nations such as Macedonia, Bulgaria as well as Corsica.

I dont want to turn this thread into a history thread, but i quickly wish to add..... according to the wiki link, the"eye is known to have been a fixture in Greece dating back to at least the 6th century BC, when it commonly appeared on drinking vessels".... This eye would most likely have been adopted by the ancient Greeks as it was originated from an ancient Egyptian pagan god, The Eye of Horus, symbol of protection and good health. Which explains why today Greeks and admittedly Macedonians pin this symbol of an eye on a babies clothing for protection and good health, to keep evil and curse at bay.

I'll just leave it at that.
          Last edited by Bill77; 09-08-2018, 08:24 AM.

Comment

• Tomche Makedonche
            • Oct 2011

The way I took it, it seems like something that would have originally derived from pagan traditions, that it was known that the gods would strike down/punish those whose beauty/essence/feats (whatever) were worshiped/regarded above their own (pagan mythology is filled with such examples) so when people felt overwhelmed by something, they would pretend to curse them with the whole rooster (with us its dogs) poo and spit on them as though they are disgusting, basically displaying the opposite of what they were feeling so to not let their true emotions somehow render insult and bring on the wrath of the gods. With the conversion to Christianity, the Devil / demons took on the role the pagan gods occupied, this time the reason to strike them down being simply to fulfil the devils own sinister purposes.

Basically an expression of humility/servility, perhaps even in someway repentance?, in the presence of the divine when someone becomes overwhelmed by their emotions

Whatever the origin, Superstition is interwoven in our culture
            Last edited by Tomche Makedonche; 09-08-2018, 08:41 AM.
            “There’s a time when the operation of the machine becomes so odious, makes you so sick at heart, that you can’t take part, you can’t even passively take part, and you’ve got to put your bodies upon the gears and upon the wheels, upon the levers, upon all the apparatus and you’ve got to make it stop, and you’ve got to indicate to the people who run it, to the people who own it, that unless you’re free, the machine will be prevented from working at all” - Mario Savio

Comment

• Bill77
              • Oct 2009

Originally posted by Tomche Makedonche View Post
              The way I took it, it seems like something that would have originally derived from pagan traditions, that it was known that the gods would strike down/punish those whose beauty/essence/feats (whatever) were worshiped/regarded above their own (pagan mythology is filled with such examples) so when people felt overwhelmed by something, they would pretend to curse them with the whole rooster (with us its dogs) poo and spit on them as though they are disgusting, basically displaying the opposite of what they were feeling so to not let their true emotions bring on the wrath of the gods. With the conversion to Christianity, the Devil / demons took on the role the pagan gods occupied, this time the reason to strike them down being simply to fulfil the devils own sinister purposes.

Basically an expression of humility/servility, perhaps even repentance, in the presence of the divine.

Whatever the origin, Superstition is interwoven in our culture
              Thanks for that logical explanation Tomce, i find it fascinating.

Just to change it up a bit..... on some other latest news and developments, Johannes Hahn, EU-Commissioner for European Neighbourhood and Enlargement Negotiations, Won't mention the name of the country while congratulating its independence day

scumbag......

Comment

• Amphipolis
                Banned
                • Aug 2014

It doesn't answer my question as to where the spiting custom originated or why, just says its practiced in Greece amongst other nations such as Macedonia, Bulgaria as well as Corsica.

I dont want to turn this thread into a history thread, but i quickly wish to add..... according to the wiki link, the"eye is known to have been a fixture in Greece dating back to at least the 6th century BC, when it commonly appeared on drinking vessels".... This eye would most likely have been adopted by the ancient Greeks as it was originated from an ancient Egyptian pagan god, The Eye of Horus, symbol of protection and good health. Which explains why today Greeks and admittedly Macedonians pin this symbol of an eye on a babies clothing for protection and good health, to keep evil and curse at bay.

I'll just leave it at that.
                The antiseptic properties of saliva (if there are any)

Mothers or nurses, when they were afraid of the infant's health, rubbed their forehead and lips with saliva using their middle finger. Also, those who thought they had been so happy to draw the envy of the gods or people spit in their armpits/bosom (εις κόλπον επτυον, as mentioned in ancient texts), when they wanted to be protected from the risk of infectious disease after meeting with a patient.

Comment

• Tomche Makedonche
                  • Oct 2011

Just to change it up a bit..... on some other latest news and developments, Johannes Hahn, EU-Commissioner for European Neighbourhood and Enlargement Negotiations, Won't mention the name of the country while congratulating its independence day

scumbag......

Lol Our country has been treated the same as Voldemort for some time, “he who can not be named”... speaking of superstition, isn’t it funny that our existence has probably become so taboo that people probably think they dare not speak our name should they invite the wrath of the gods?, all that left is to see is those who do accidentally say our name to start spitting.
                  Last edited by Tomche Makedonche; 09-08-2018, 08:58 AM.
                  “There’s a time when the operation of the machine becomes so odious, makes you so sick at heart, that you can’t take part, you can’t even passively take part, and you’ve got to put your bodies upon the gears and upon the wheels, upon the levers, upon all the apparatus and you’ve got to make it stop, and you’ve got to indicate to the people who run it, to the people who own it, that unless you’re free, the machine will be prevented from working at all” - Mario Savio

Comment

• Bill77
                    • Oct 2009

Kathimerini English Edition (sorry but i refuse to paste their link and give their site extra hits) announced "Greece, FYROM set up joint committee for history, education"

A bit rich, ancestors of Turks and Albanians are involved in educating Macedonians on history and purity. But this is all our fault of course.

Comment

• Risto the Great
                      • Sep 2008

"Greece, FYROM set up joint committee for history, education"
                      Let me predict the future.

2019 AD: Greek/NMK release joint statement on Macedonian history

2020 AD: Bulgaria/NMK joint committee for history and education disagrees with Greece/NMK joint committee for history and education on Macedonian history.

2021 AD: Greece and Bulgaria forms a joint committee on Macedonian history.

2022 AD: NMK forms its own committee on Macedonian history

2023 AD: NMK WTF BLG GR

2024 AD: NMKNATOEUWTF

2025 AD: MKDFUCKNATO&EU

I wish
                      Risto the Great
                      MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
                      "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com

Comment

• Bill77
                        • Oct 2009

So many international visitors coming to Macedonia to push us to change our name, Baily, Zaev and Sekerinska literally can't keep up with rolling the red carpet. Mad Dog Mattis welcomed by soldiers with brooms...... first the wrong Austrian flag now this lol Fyromians/Northern Macedonians are a joke.

Last edited by Bill77; 09-18-2018, 02:26 AM.

Comment

• Phoenix
                          • Dec 2008

...Mad Dog Mattis welcomed by soldiers with brooms...

https://youtu.be/30kiCs3_x_I
                          Those brooms are probably the most sophisticated equipment in our current arsenal...once we join NATO, the brooms will be more than enough - after all, joining NATO is simply protection from being attacked by NATO...

Comment

• Bill77
                            • Oct 2009

I watched Trumps speech at the UN, live last night. And i do remember he said this....

Yet, disappointingly, he pushes Macedonia to do exactly the opposite. What's good for the goose, isn't what's good for the gander.

Comment

• maco2envy
                              • Jan 2015

Trump doesn't give a shit Macedonia, he hasn't pushed us into anything. it's those deep state republican/democrat cronies.

Comment

• Pelagonija
                                • Mar 2017

Trump is a Vassal of the state beneath the state. He says certain things which are against the grain to appease the shrinking minority which voted him but then quickly gets reminded of who’s boss. Remember the drain the swamp catch phrase? Trump is in the swamp now.

Two years in office on the Dems and liberal lunatics have been harping on a about Russia, if they have the evidence bring it forward instead of smearing and using dirty politics. I think statistically 3% of the people in the USA give a shit about Russia.

Anyway no matter which lunatic is in power, the American war machine and the neocons are the biggest danger to world peace.

Comment

Working...
                                X