View Single Post
Old 01-15-2022, 10:43 AM   #53
Carlin

Carlin has much to be proud ofCarlin has much to be proud ofCarlin has much to be proud ofCarlin has much to be proud ofCarlin has much to be proud ofCarlin has much to be proud ofCarlin has much to be proud ofCarlin has much to be proud ofCarlin has much to be proud of

Mea culpa.

In my post above, I stated that George Kedrenos mentioned Vlachs in 976. Everywhere I look online it talks about that magical year, 976 AD. But, Kedrenos was specifically an author of around 1050s AD, so he is talking about an event that happened in the "past".

Some unrelated/relevant testimonies about "Vlachs".

1) Ibn al-Nadim published in 938 the work Kitab al-Fihrist mentioning "Turks, Bulgars and Vlachs" (using Blagha for Vlachs). [Comment: I'm not sure which specific group(s) of Vlachs this references.]

2) In a book by Ragusan historian Ludovik Crijevic (1459–1527), Writings on the Present Age, Vlachs were distinguished from other people, and were mentioned as "nomadic Illyrians who in the common language are called Vlachs" and there is also the mention of the present-day surname Kozhul/lj in "Cossuli, a kind of Illyrian people considered Romans". During the Orthodox migration to Zhumberak in 1538, general commander Nikola Jurisic mentioned the Vlachs who "in our parts are called as Old Romans" separate from the Serbs and Rascians.

[During the 14th century, Vlach settlements existed throughout much of today's Croatia, but centres of population were focused around the Velebit and Dinara mountains and along the Krka and Cetina rivers. The Vlachs were divided into "common Vlachs" from Cetina and "royal Vlachs" from Lika.]

More about Romanians:

3) The Transylvanian Saxon Johann Lebel writes in 1542 that "Vlachi" call themselves "Romuini", while the Polish chronicler Stanislaw Orzechowski (Orichovius) notes in 1554 that in their language they call themselves Romini from the Romans, while we call them Wallachians from the Italians.

4) The Croatian prelate and diplomat Antun Vrancic recorded in 1570 that Vlachs in Transylvania, Moldavia and Wallachia designate themselves as "Romans".

Quote from Istvan Vasary ("Cumans and Tatars: Oriental Military in the Pre-Ottoman ..." Google books, István Vásáry · 2005) - page 32:

"... the immigration of Vlach masses to the left bank of the Danube must have progressed at a rapid pace, and consequently the Vlach population gradually evacuated northern Bulgaria. Between the 1250s and 1330s both 'Vlachia' and 'Wallachia' were present virtually only in history: 'Vlachia' was fading away from the historical sources and 'Wallachia' was in the process of coming into being. Between these dates the sources keep silent about these questions."

https://www.google.ca/books/edition/...sec=frontcover

PS: Istvan Vasary, being Hungarian, must have really "wanted" those Vlachs to come from the south. (But he could be right!)

Last edited by Carlin; 01-17-2022 at 11:14 PM.
Carlin is offline   Reply With Quote