• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DedoAleko
    • Jun 2009

Annual Parliament address-President G.Ivanov

Annual Parliament address by President Gjorge Ivanov

This is the complete annual Parliament address made by President Gjorje Ivanov.

Respected citizens of the Republic of Macedonia,

Distinguished President of the Assembly of the Republic of Macedonia,

Distinguished President of the Government of the Republic of Macedonia,

Respected Members of the Parliament,

Respected Members of the Government,

Respected Representatives of the Judicial Authorities in the Republic of Macedonia,

Respected Representatives of the Diplomatic Corps, Representatives of the Religious Communities in the Republic of Macedonia,

Respected Media Representatives,

Esteemed Excellencies, Ladies and Gentlemen,

This is the last annual address in my mandate. Mandate that began with the trauma of the Bucharest Summit and the consequences of the global financial crisis.

Therefore, in this address, I relate my mandate with everything that happened in the past five years. Growth and development of the Republic of Macedonia in every field, but also times when hopes were turning into doubts or even disappointments.

Despite obstacles and blockades, in these past years, our international position has been strengthened. We have acquired more partners, friends and supporters in the European Union, NATO, and the world.

We have taken bold steps and we have realized that we can succeed.

As President, I have been expressing national unity and represented the Republic of Macedonia with dignity in the international political arena. I have had good and constructive cooperation with the Assembly, the Government, with all the bodies of the executive, legislative and judicial power.

Distinguished Attendees,

Highest priority during my mandate has been maintenance of peace, stability and security of the state. National security system entities have acted harmoniously and coordinated in taking measures and actions to protect the highest goals and interests. I have had good cooperation and regular contacts with the Security Council members. As a result, it is for the first time, during the term of a President of the Republic of Macedonia, that there was no need to convene the Security Council. It clearly indicates that the national security system functions.

In my tenure, we have defined the strategic directions and plans for the development and functioning of the defence system, thus enabling the Army of the Republic of Macedonia to continue fulfilling our highest strategic goals. The results speak of that.

Our Army receives the highest marks for its defence capability. It is respected in the country and abroad. It is fully operable with NATO member states and is ready to participate in the Alliance collective self-defense. With 14 successfully accomplished NATO Membership Action Plans, symbolically, we have achieved a record as the only country that is still waiting its admission and spending resources to maintain its readiness.

From peacekeeping forces from the world in Macedonia, today we have peacekeeping forces from Macedonia in the world. Our Army participates in 3 international operations led by the United Nations, NATO and the European Union.

Macedonia’s commitment to freedom, peace, security and democracy in the world is internationally appreciated. During all my numerous meetings around the globe, world leaders and military commanders stress that the Macedonian peacekeepers consistently share responsibilities and risks with our partners and allies.

Respected citizens of the Republic of Macedonia,

In 2009, at the time when I took the office of the Head of State, in terms of foreign policy, the Republic of Macedonia was still recovering from the Bucharest injustice. The optimism we expected our rightful membership in NATO turned into a huge disappointment.

However, in less than five years, the things have changed because we never gave in and we did not accept unprincipled ultimatums.

We have achieved a great legal and moral victory with the ruling of the International Court of Justice in The Hague.

My entire mandate has been marked with positive reports by the European Commission on the progress of Macedonia. Five years in a row we receive recommendations to start European Union membership negotiations.

With arduous reforms, deservingly, we were given the visa liberalization for our citizens.

We had a successful chairmanship of the Council of Europe and the South-East European Cooperation Process.

We have remained committed to our European policy. As President of a European state, I have constantly reminded our European partners that the European Union is a peace project and that it will not be complete without Macedonia in it.

We have strengthened the international reputation of the Republic of Macedonia. During my term, representing the Republic of Macedonia on the international political scene, I have so far had more than 100 official, working and informal visits and participations in international events. I have had more than 200 bilateral meetings with heads of state. More than 150 meetings with Prime Ministers, Speakers and Heads of Diplomacy. During my tenure, I have had more than 400 meetings with foreign dignitaries, senior officials of international organizations and religious leaders. I have hosted more than 40 official and working visits of heads of state to the Republic of Macedonia.

I have paid equal attention to the European and non-European centers. This has, certainly, yielded results.

With the support of 177 UN member states, Macedonia was elected a member of the United Nations Human Rights Council. It is recognition of Macedonia’s efforts to protect and promote human rights and the right to human dignity.

I have constantly worked on improving old and creating new friendships for Macedonia. With all United Nations Security Council permanent members, United States, Russian Federation, People’s Republic of China, United Kingdom and France, we have deepened old and built new ties.

During my tenure, the number of recognitions and established diplomatic relations with the countries in the world has increased.

As a country, we have organized world conferences on inter-religious and inter-cultural dialogue. We have become recognized worldwide as a religious pluralism microcosm. We have confirmed and strengthened the role of Macedonia in the Alliance of Civilizations.

It is all due to our openness. Ever since the day of inauguration, at the initial address to this Assembly, I have promoted openness to all as the ultimate principle in foreign policy. Principle on which we have paved the path of the Republic of Macedonia to the new and emerging Eurasian markets.

I have invested my authority to a great extent in creating an environment for a more successful bilateral and multilateral cooperation with the countries in the immediate and wider neighborhood. We have initiated Regional Presidential Summits with the Presidents of Albania, Montenegro and Kosovo. At a time when it was isolated, we were making efforts to include Kosovo in the regional cooperation.

I have never forgotten Macedonian communities, not only in the neighborhood, but even beyond. Everywhere I have been, I have met them. To many deserving individuals and organizations from the Diaspora that have contributions for Macedonia, symbolically, I have expressed our gratitude by bestowing them national recognitions.

Distinguished Attendees,

I always argue that good neighborly relations are a two-way street and that they mostly depend on the countries in the region. I am convinced that the misunderstandings in the bilateral relations with the Republic of Bulgaria will be overcome. We intend to build and promote relations in the spirit of friendship and good neighborliness.

We have done everything for successful Chairmanship with the South-East European Cooperation Process. Unfortunately, the old Balkan complexes and prejudices were invigorated again in the wake of the SEECP Summit of Heads of State and Government. I was obliged, because of the state interests and dignity of Macedonia, to cancel the Summit. I did not allow the interests of the Balkan states to be settled on Macedonia’s shoulders and the price for that to be paid by Macedonia.

On behalf of the state, with state decorations, I paid tribute to some of the Macedonian friends who stood behind us, recognized and supported us, when many denied and discouraged us.

Through a personal example, I have insisted during my term on active, professional and pragmatic diplomacy, but also on proactive economic and public diplomacy.

The overall diplomacy has been put in function for the economic growth of the country.

Ladies and Gentlemen,

The world, 5 years, is experiencing global financial crisis. Even in such circumstances, as a state, we have managed to open the path for foreign investment in Macedonia and for Macedonian producers in foreign markets. With everything that has been undertaken by the Government, we have managed to open huge economic opportunities for our country.

We have managed to include Macedonia in the “South Stream” pipeline plan. Being energy isolated and dependent, Macedonia has emerged into energy connected and interdependent state. This secures the energy future of Macedonia.

Macedonia has become part of the initiative of the People’s Republic of China for closer economic cooperation with the countries of Central, Eastern and Southeastern Europe. As a result, Macedonia has a favorable opportunity for development of road infrastructure.

We have managed to set, at the top of the region’s agenda, connecting of the Adriatic-Ionian Highway with Corridor 8 and Corridor 10. It implies essential change of geography, of the reality and the future of our state and our region.

Ladies and Gentlemen,

Assuming the office, I have highlighted that I would strongly advocate and encourage development of democracy and support all initiatives that bring our country closer to its essence – the interest of the Macedonian citizens. With the successfully implemented early parliamentary and local elections, the Republic of Macedonia has proven to be functional democracy. However, as a relatively young democracy, we are not yet completely immune to certain problems.

In terms of internal-political affairs, the year started with a tense political atmosphere that was resolved by an agreement between the political parties, in which I took active part in the capacity of President. I was repeatedly warning that all disagreements should be settled institutionally.

In 2011 and this year, we have spent much time on such institutional barriers. However, common sense prevailed and local elections went smoothly, as it befits the Republic of Macedonia. In August 2013, the Commission on December 24 finalized its work and provided useful recommendations for overcoming the acknowledged weakness. Indeed, it is time we learn the lesson. Hence, in this fifth address I repeat: dialogue must be led in the institutions. Leadership meetings should not be convened for issues that are to be resolved institutionally.

In all these years of my term, Macedonia receives positive reports by the European Commission on its progress. This year’s Report shows that the Macedonian legislation is largely harmonized with the EU legislation. That there is a serious economic, social and democratic progress made. The Republic of Macedonia, committed to the reforms, has been implementing European values, standards and criteria.

The Report contains objective assessments that, in some areas, we are advancing at a slower pace. There is assessment on the situation regarding the parliamentarism, on the interethnic relations and media culture, justice and fight against corruption. I accept these assessments as advice and indications which should be seriously considered.

As the Report points out, the key long-term reforms in the judiciary have already been completed in accordance with the European criteria. Crucial reform laws are successfully applied.

Despite the reforms, there is still work to be done. I am aware that citizens are discontent with the judicial system. The vast number of complaints I receive, indeed, concern this area. We have to be realistic. Serious reforms have been implemented and we should see the result thereof.

Respected Citizens of the Republic of Macedonia,

During my tenure, the 10th anniversary of the Ohrid Framework Agreement was marked, which is part of the Constitution of the Republic of Macedonia. The implementation of this Agreement was rated positively. Nevertheless, the institutions and procedures derived from it should fulfill their function. The previous decade was a decade of rights. The second decade of the Ohrid Framework Agreement is a decade of rights and mutual obligations for all of us. Rights and obligations deriving from the awareness of what we should be as people in order to live in harmony with each other.

Distressing are the cases of inter-ethnic intolerance among young people. Every generation is responsible to nurture and convey the Macedonian model of coexistence. Every generation is obliged to educate youth in the tradition of Macedonian coexistence, the tradition our democratic system springs from.

Throughout my mandate, I have paid overwhelming attention to promoting the Macedonian democratic model, built for centuries as a model of integration without assimilation. Macedonian way of living, in its essence, implies creation of a space in us to accept the others, without melting the others and without being melted into someone else’s identity. Other cultures and religions are not a threat to one’s identity, but a potential source of its enrichment.

Convinced that dialogue and mutual respect among religions are necessary for respect and understanding among believers, I have had frequent meetings with the spiritual leaders of our country, Christians, Muslims, Jews.

Guided by our tradition of coexistence, acceptance and respect for diversity, we have made Macedonia recognizable as a bridge of connecting and intertwining of religions and civilizations.

Ladies and Gentlemen,

I have always tried to be with the citizens. The Cabinet and the People’s Offices are always open to discussions and ideas. I am well aware of the needs, expectations and desires of the Macedonian citizens. Through the People’s Offices, I regularly receive their letters, complaints and suggestions, expressing their concerns, ideas and opinions.

Citizens come to me, and I go to them. I have visited almost all municipalities, I meet our fellow citizens and I am aware of their successes and problems.

Macedonia is a synonym for a mother of many children, although different, still hers. Macedonia obliges us to build it as a homeland committed to the successful, sharing solidarity towards the poor, caring for the less fortunate, grateful to the deserving.

There are citizens and families facing poverty. Transition wounds are not yet fully healed. Therefore, we need to be in solidarity with the poor, and build together a better future. A better future for all Macedonian citizens, regardless of their affiliation.

Consistently, I am stressing that the empowerment and full inclusion of Roma in the Macedonian political, economic, social and cultural life is a permanent determination of Macedonia.

Solidarity towards the less fortunate obliges us to show continuous care for persons with disabilities and special attention to autistic children. Their involvement in political and social processes is not only their right but also our institutional, social and moral responsibility.

Granting decorations and recognitions I express Republic of Macedonia’s gratitude to our expatriates and athletes, artists and scholars, our living and fallen heroes, to all those who have built themselves in the freedom, independence and collective success of our homeland.

I have been actively promoting the Macedonian science and education. In partnership with higher education institutions and MASA, we have organized significant scientific and research projects with domestic and foreign partners. These engagements have brought personal satisfaction, too. I have received 4 honorary doctorates and membership in the European and the World Academy of Arts and Sciences. It is an acknowledgment to our country, to our education and our science.

I have been paying particular attention throughout my term to the youth. I am committed to creating future for the youth and youth for the future.

Young people are our future, and yet we age as a nation. Like many other European countries, we are facing unfavorable demographic trends.

Young people are our future, yet many of them are leaving their homeland. Like almost all countries of Central and Eastern Europe, Macedonia is facing a wave of emigration of educated, skilled, talented young people. We can not prevent the human quest for happiness, but we need to continue to create conditions so that people can seek and find their happiness here. The only way to achieve this is to pay attention to the visions, desires and dreams of our youth.

I have visted the biggest Universities in Macedonia and the best students from the universities have visited me. We had frank discussions and I heard their ambitions, successes and challenges. I have encouraged them to continue to invest in their personal and collective success. I have personally brought up their positions, expectations and suggestions for improving the Macedonian higher education system to the rectors of the universities in the Republic of Macedonia. My engagement as President has not ceased with that.

I have supported young scientists, engineers and innovators. I have supported all young people with open minds. In this regard, I was especially pleased and welcome the establishment of the Innovation and Technological Development Fund of the Republic of Macedonia in which the World Bank shall be one of the finance providers.

With the School for Young Leaders, we are creating dedicated young people who will lead and manage all societal segments. I hope that with this we keep hundreds of qualified and talented young people live and work in Macedonia.

Respected fellow citizens,

In the past period, externally and internally, we have marked successes, but also faced difficulties. There has been progress and blockades. Regardless of what we have been facing with and passing through, indeed, we must not lose sight of the challenges for the future.

I was elected President of the Republic of Macedonia at a time when the tide of the global economic, financial and credit crisis was already present and felt in the economies of the European countries.

I am glad that in these 5 years we have achieved greater improvements than many have estimated. Improvements such as economic growth, reduced unemployment rate, improved conditions for doing business, increased investment.

There are still challenges. Although it is not easy to find work in the cities, many of the villages are empty, and the village land unplowed. Proper usage of the available resources is needed. We must not forget that Macedonia is primarily agricultural country.

The world economy is gradually recuperating. Leading politicians and analysts from Europe announced that the worst has passed and the situation in Europe is improving. Investors’ trust is returning.

To win the trust and bring more investors in Macedonia, structural adjustment is needed. Only 5% of our companies are export oriented. Export orientation is essential. The European Union invests billions of Euros in research and development. The world is dealing with new technologies. It is necessary to invest more in education, science and research. Macedonia should participate in regional educational, scientific and research projects. We need leadership in innovation and innovative companies.

I have been constantly encouraging the companies to strengthen their cooperation with the universities and academic centers in the area of innovation, science, research and development. I have been encouraging the universities to use the legal framework and to continue building technological parks, start-up accelerators and other creative projects, thus enhancing the entrepreneurial spirit of young people. I have been encouraging the Government to continue creating appropriate conditions for practical synergy among the key stakeholders.

Respected Citizens of the Republic of Macedonia,

Among the numerous challenges, one is constantly imposed to us and hinders our future – the problem that official Athens has with our name.

During my tenure, I have always asserted that the Republic of Macedonia is ready for a mutually acceptable solution, a solution within the framework provided by the United Nations resolutions, the Interim Accord and the judgment of the International Court of Justice. The issue of identity is not part of that framework. Identity is not regulated by an act written on a piece of paper. No one can buy, steal or forge identity. I have been constantly noting that we will not allow a change to any aspect of our identity.

In the past, many have laid hands on our identity and independence. They have constantly tried to impose someone else’s identity and someone else’s perceptions of ourselves. At times of foreign authority, our ancestors survived the pressure. We will not succumb, today, when we have our own independent, sovereign and autonomous state. State that protects us and our interests. It will never happen again that we are imposed someone else’s identity.

As state and society, we have severely reacted to all the attempts to encroach any aspect of the Macedonian identity. I have remained faithful to the position to receive a Report of the European Commission provided that it contains the adjective “Macedonian”.

Dear Fellow Citizens,

Not long ago, the European Council was held and we faced again a blockade on our European path. Five years in a row, the European Parliament and the European Commission recommend immediate start of negotiations, and we are sincerely grateful for that. We are grateful to the European Council member states that supported us, the number of which is constantly increasing.

Still, five years in a row, the European Council can not reach consensus because of one member state. All the time, we are experiencing ultimatum by our southern neighbor, which concerns not only the name of the state, but the identity of the Macedonian people.

Blocking our integration into NATO and the European Union, Athens hinders our right to prosperity.

We have missed many opportunities and spent a lot of energy trying to get out of the labyrinth in which we were pushed. We have no intention to leave this problem as a legacy to the future generations. Problem we are facing due to the lack of will for good neighborly relations on the part of the political leadership of Athens.

For already 22 years, the world is hearing the untruth that the name “the Republic of Macedonia” implies territorial claims against its southern neighbor. And for 22 years, the Republic of Macedonia, in fact, refutes this lie. Nobody believes in that nonsense any longer. Our societies and economies live and work in an excellent manner, thus denying all accusations and qualifications of part of the political elite of our neighbor.

The Republic of Macedonia has always believed and enforced in practice the stance that dialogue is indispensable. Macedonia has always been guided by the principle that we must help, not obstruct each other. The faded and old-fashioned policy of denial, blackmail and threatening by our neighbor, is opposed by the Macedonian policy of good neighborliness, openness and readiness for dialogue.

The blockades, blackmails and pressures we face are arguments of bare force. Truth can be defended only by the power of argument. Hence, at all of my meetings, in the country and abroad, I have been consistently fighting with the power of the argument, pointing out the truth about Macedonia.

Those who are not facing reality, live in illusions. The Republic of Macedonia is a reality in the Balkans, a reality in Europe, a reality in the international community.

We urge and expect Athens, as a European Union member state, to treat us in a European manner. We urge and expect application of European criteria and standards for membership. Neither less, nor more. The Republic of Macedonia is a European country and deserves European treatment.

NATO functions thanks to the international agreements. The Union is based on the respect for the rule of law, international law, human rights. The cornerstone of NATO and the EU can not be a stumbling block for long. States and international organizations have a growing need for a legally defined international order.

We urge and expect the European Union and NATO to regain their credibility in the case of the Republic of Macedonia.

Respected Fellow Citizens,

On December 5th, exactly 2 years have passed since the ruling of the International Court of Justice. In the spirit of good neighborliness, we have left sufficient time to our southern neighbor of two whole years, in the hope that, in bona fide, it will meet our and the expectations of the ICJ. Expectations not to repeat its irresponsible behavior of Bucharest. Behavior which was judged as illegal by the highest legal authority in the world. Yet, Athens did not use the opportunity and continued to breach the international law. It continued to disrespect the Interim Accord and the judgment. It continued with the old blockades, blackmails and pressures, complemented with new excuses.

As neighbor, we did not want to take legal action against Athens in The Hague, but we were forced to such a step. As neighbor, we did not wish to address the United Nations Security Council, the creator of the resolutions in which the process is conducted, and to seek enforcement of the judgment and its unconditional respect. But, as it was the case after Bucharest, we have no other choice today.

Violating internationally undertaken obligations concerns the credibility of official Athens in the dispute imposed to us. We have the right and reason to doubt their willingness in respecting agreements. Respecting legal mechanisms can help us build confidence.

They can ignore, but not deny the judgment. It is here, waiting to be respected. But it can not wait indefinitely.

Conditions have been created to ask the United Nations Secretary General, in accordance with his powers, to submit a report to the United Nations Security Council on the talks led by Mediator Nimetz. Conditions have been created to urge the Security Council to give effect to the judgment of the International Court of Justice.

We will never let Macedonia’s dignity to be encroached, the human rights and the right to human dignity to be denied.

Dear Fellow Citizens,

Dear Macedonians, Albanians, Serbs, Roma, Vlachs, Turks and Bosnians, Christians, Muslims and Jews…

Always, in moments of challenge, the only motivation for me has been exactly the Macedonian citizens and their desire for a European Macedonia. In moments of disappointment, the only encouragement for me has been the unity of the Macedonian multi-ethnic, multi-religious and multi-lingual society over the idea of Macedonia.

In spite of the challenges and blockades, we have endured in our policy. And we will endure. In the end, everything comes to those that wait. Until then, we must continue to build Macedonia in height, with the highest values, standards and criteria. We must continue to build Macedonia as advanced, democratic and economically developed state. Let us build Macedonia as home to all its children, all its citizens. Let us build it in a winning manner, in successes, as it deserves.

With the Hague we have overcome Bucharest.

With the prudent economic policy, we have overcome the economic crisis.

With openness we are to overcome the blockades.

May we never forget that our homeland is our greatest historic victory!

Long live the Republic of Macedonia!

izvor: http://english.lider.mk/2013/12/23/a...gjorge-ivanov/

Comment

• George S.
      • Aug 2009

George has given everything the touch of midas & the positive spin.THe name pregovori seem to be left out.Why should they continue.Also why have additional requirements knowing full well the country cannot comply ie change their identity.THe politicians have a lot to answer just so that they cn enter nato.Nato or the eu is not that important as a lot of countries have realized they want out not in.
      "Ido not want an uprising of people that would leave me at the first failure, I want revolution with citizens able to bear all the temptations to a prolonged struggle, what, because of the fierce political conditions, will be our guide or cattle to the slaughterhouse"
      GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• DedoAleko
        • Jun 2009

What follows?

Can't copy the text here, so open the link to read the whole thing:

Conditions created to urge the Security Council to give effect to ICJ judgment, Ivanov says

izvor: http://www.mia.mk/en/Inside/RenderSi...315/113007699#

Comment

• DedoAleko
          • Jun 2009

google translation:

Ivanov : Ancient Macedonians spoke a Slavic language

Macedonian President George Ivanov, in Moscow was given the title honorary professor of the renowned Russian State University " Lomonosov " , reaffirmed its commitment to historic federally funded research .

The access sermon quoted portions of the book "The Kingdom of the Slavs " published in 1601 in Italy , where he attracted the attention of the author Eremije quote from Rousseau in 1227 , who wrote : " Russians or Muscovites had the same language as the ancient Macedonians ." Eremije argues that ancient Macedonians spoke a Slavic language - Ivanov said in his sermon .

Language and culture are the link between the Russian and Macedonian people , told the president , referring to the denial of Macedonia's neighbors - mainly Bulgaria and Greece.

He pointed out that Orbini quoted numerous ancient and medieval authors demonstrate the specificity of the Macedonian language in the Greek .

Bulgaria treats Macedonian language as a dialect of Bulgarian. Greece, however, claimed that the Macedonian language did not exist, although it has officially recognized it at least three times before , said Ivanov...

izvor: http://24vesti.mk/ivanov-drevnite-ma...lovenski-jazik

Comment

• George S.
            • Aug 2009

another lapdog to the slav theories.I don't think Russia would pay much homage to slav theories.They think they owe it all to the serbs.
            "Ido not want an uprising of people that would leave me at the first failure, I want revolution with citizens able to bear all the temptations to a prolonged struggle, what, because of the fierce political conditions, will be our guide or cattle to the slaughterhouse"
            GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• Risto the Great
              • Sep 2008

Ivanov was really strong for our identity. I hoped he might have made a difference. He didn't.

George, in fact I would say Ivanov was saying quite the reverse. Hecalled it a slavic language (which I cannot dispute as a collective term) but he said it came from Macedonia.
              Risto the Great
              MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
              "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com

Comment

• George S.
                • Aug 2009

i thought he was for the Macedonian identity.Not many people understand the Slavic influence but in all truth that same influence went throughout the Balkans does that make some Slavic & not others.greece is calling uslav Macedonians but forget the slavs went to the hellas,They have just as much been influenced.as macedoniansthe slav prefix has been used as smear campaign by the greeks to smear with the slav stain that we are not toally Macedonian & hence they are the vv real Macedonians.
                I really think that ivanov put his foot in it by claiming we all existed as slavs from primordial times.Why confuse the issue anymore than it is ,Gligorov put more than his foot in it & put himself in.A complete idiot & loss of identity.This sort of thing only negates our existence why bring up stupid theories.
                Our language & our name have been labelled slav.Our language has had some slavic influence in the linguistic .Our language is still macedian.People are just putting a different kind of spinfor their propaganda,THe same could be repeated & said of all the Balkan languages they all have had the same linguistc insluence.But all the langugages have remained intact.Macedonian stil that etc for all other languages,They have very much stood the same.
                Last edited by George S.; 02-11-2014, 04:30 AM.
                GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• Vangelovski
                  • Sep 2008

Ivanov to Greece: Accept us as FYROM

Ivanov has called on Greece to abide by the IA and let us into NATO...of course that means joining as FYROM.

http://www.balkaninsight.com/en/arti...n-name-dispute
                  Macedonian President Urges UN to Intervene With Greece

The UN Security Council must convince Greece to respect the 2011 ruling of the International Court of Justice, ICJ regarding Greece’s blockade of Macedonia’s NATO entry, the Macedonian President told parliament.

President Gjorge Ivanov blamed Greece for undermining Macedonia’s aspirations and said the UN should act on the 2011 ICJ ruling regarding Macedonia’s thwarted NATO membership.

“In the spirit of good neighbourly relations, we have left sufficient time to our southern neighbour of two whole years, in the hope that, in good faith, it would meet our expectations and those of of the ICJ,” Ivanov said on Monday.

The ICJ ruled that Greece had broken a UN agreement by blocking Macedonia's membership of NATO since 2008. However, Athens ignored the ruling.

“Athens did not use that opportunity and continued to breach international law and disrespect the [1995 UN-sponsored] Interim Accord… and continued with the old blockades, blackmails and pressures, complemented with new excuses,” Ivanov said.

Despite repeated recommendations by the European Commission, the EU has not started accession talks with Macedonia, nor has it been invited to join NATO, owing to the dispute with Greek over its name.

Greece insists that Macedonia’s name implies territorial claims to its own northern province, also called Macedonia.

The presidential address came a week after the European Council of Ministers, for the fifth year, postponed discussion of Macedonian membership to the next EU summit in June 2014.

Noting his gratitude for the positive recommendations from the European Commission, Ivanov, who in March ends his five-year term as President, said Macedonia would not succumb to Greek pressure to sacrifice its identity and independence.

“During the times of foreign rule, our ancestors survived that pressure. Today, when we have our own independent and sovereign state, we will not succumb,” he added.

Ivanov said the country had made great efforts “to get out of the labyrinth” that it had been pushed into, denied that Macedonia has territorial claims against Greece and reaffirmed the need for dialogue.

“We urge the European Union and NATO to regain their credibility in the case of the Republic of Macedonia,” Ivanov said.
                  If my people who are called by my name will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sins and restore their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14

The Revolution was in the minds and hearts of the people; a change in their religious sentiments, of their duties and obligations...This radical change in the principles, opinions, sentiments, and affections of the people was the real American Revolution. John Adams

Comment

• Volokin
                    • Apr 2014

Gjorge Ivanov: United Nations Human Rights Council

The United Nations cannot and must not allow to be indifferent to the violation of human rights and human dignity, Macedonian President Gjorge Ivanov said in his address at the 28th session of the United Nations Human Rights Council.

The world needs a Council that will act preventively, not only reactively, whereas its positions will have serious implications on all states. We urge for politics and power to step aside from this Council so that it can prevent, not only confirm post festum, the Macedonian Chief of State said.

"We live in an era of human rights, but witness their violations, we promote the inalienable right of human dignity, but allow the denial of self-identification, without which there is no integrity or human dignity", said President Ivanov.

According to Ivanov, nations call for the Universal Declaration of Human Rights but allow violations of international law, UN resolutions and International Court of Justice rulings.

"Today, as a member of the Human Rights Council, the Republic of Macedonia and my fellow citizens are faced with denial of the right to identity and language, the Macedonian language that I am using in my address. These two rights are essential to all entities", Ivanov underscored.

"There is no compromise over these rights", Ivanov further added.

He stressed that it is unthinkable to debate on human rights, freedom of thought and religion, while individuals and groups reach for the freedom and lives of people who have different beliefs, just as it is unthinkable to refer to equality of differences and then attack them.

"The West developed the concept of tolerance. Macedonia applies something more than tolerance - respect and acceptance of diversities. The difference between the two concepts is essential because one tolerates what he/she must, but respects what he/she wants. While tolerance is a one-way process, respect and acceptance work both ways", stressed Ivanov.

President Ivanov is set to meet with Joachim Ruecker, chairman of the Human Rights Council, Prince Zeid Ra'ad Zeid Al-Hussein, UN High Commissioner for human rights, Michael Moller, acting head of UN Office in Geneva, and William Lacy Swing, Director General of the International Organization for Migration.

With the chance to reveal the lack of human rights Macedonians of Greece and Bulgaria have, he chooses to say basically nothing.

When will an official from the roM actually stand up and do something regarding the Macedonians outside the republic.
                    Last edited by Volokin; 03-03-2015, 06:59 AM.

Comment

• George S.
                      • Aug 2009

Macedonian President: Solutions Should Be Sought Uniquely through Institutions

Macedonian President: Solutions Should Be Sought Uniquely through Institutions

April 19, 2015, Sunday @ 14:30

Democracy as a system entails solutions to challenges through institutions, said Macedonian President Gjorge Ivanov in an interview for the Bugajski Hour program, hosted by American analyst Janusz Bugajski, aired on Albanian Screen TV.

Commenting the developments on the Macedonian political scene, President Ivanov says that solutions to the challenges should be sought uniquely through the institutions.

"The frustrations that are being created in the Macedonian society, the blockade to NATO and the European Union, are contributing in some way to the enormous dissatisfaction, despite the opposition failure in several election cycles to realize any kind of victory. Democracy entails using the institutions, above all, the parliament and everything that they have presented to the public, through the parliament’s instruments, the procedures that exist in accordance with the Constitution, the laws, in order to reach what you want – new elections," President Ivanov said during the Bugajski Hour interview.

"At home, the opposition refuses to return to parliament, nor it wants new elections. That’s why it makes this condition much more delicate," he explained.

Additionally, according to the Macedonian president, the situation has been rendered more complex because of the refusal to recognize his legitimacy by a part of the opposition, thus disabling his possible mediator role in overcoming the crisis.

"In this current situation we have distortion from that practice and the custom the president to assume that role, because the opposition refuses to recognize the legitimacy of the presidential institution, and addresses the international factors directly," President Ivanov said.

Commenting the remarks in terms of the country’s readiness to become an EU member, Ivanov said the consequences of those blockades are imposed as a reason for a new blockade.

"I guarantee that Macedonia meets all the standards and even has better qualities than many current EU member states. I don’t say we are ideal, that we don’t have open issues in terms of all those remarks. There are. But, it cannot be an alibi and the consequences of those blockades are now imposed on us as a reason for a new blockade," the Macedonian chief of state said.

In relation to the blockade to the NATO membership, Ivanov called for the respect of international law, and referring to the prospects in the name issue, and the coming of SYRIZA to power in Greece, the Macedonian president deemed that the fact that the new Greek government was not involved in the situations created by the previous political elites gave hope.

"The young people from SYRIZA know the real conditions, know the new reality and now the benefit they would have from being close to Macedonia and the other neighboring countries, since the business relations, tourism and incomes in Greece from their neighbors,” Ivanov noted.
                      GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• vicsinad
                        • May 2011

President Ivanov Calls on Bulgaria to Embrace Macedonia

Aww...isn't that sweet. Little brother Macedonia wants a hug from big brother Bulgaria. Or is it "majka Bulgaria" to DPMNE?

Hopefully it's just a Bulgarian website taking things out of context as per normal.

Macedonian President Gjorge Ivanov called on Bulgaria to embrace its southwestern neighbour Macedonia. In an interview for BGNES news agency published on Friday, Ivanov said that he wants Bulgaria to be Macedonia's most fervent supporter.

Macedonian President Gjorge Ivanov called on Bulgaria to embrace its southwestern neighbour Macedonia.

In an interview for BGNES news agency published on Friday, Ivanov said that he wants Bulgaria to be Macedonia's most fervent supporter.

The Macedonian president noted that there is no language barrier between the two countries and not being able to change history and geography, Bulgaria and Macedonia are destined to be neighbours forever.

Commenting the migrant crisis, Ivanov said that he has personally handed to Bulgarian Prime Minsiter Boyko Borisov maps of the new routes used by the smugglers.

In view of the tens of millions of migrants exerting pressure on Europe, he stated that there is need for closer cooperation in averting the risks posed by them.

He said that he has always distinguished between the humanitarian aspect of the crisis and the security issue which has been neglected.

In his words, economic migrants and foreign fighters had made use of the refugee influx to enter the EU.

According to Europol, at present there are between 2000 and 5000 people in Europe who have returned from conflict zones.

Ivanov insisted for enhancing cooperation between the security services and stepping up the exchange of information and data.

Asked whether there is a threat of the refugee flow being redirected to Bulgaria after the closure of the Western Balkan route, he said that the border between Bulgaria and Greece should be put under control.

He explained that cards in Arabic depicting Bulgaria as a transit corridor through which migrants could pass on their way to Serbia or alternatively through Romania and Hungary to Poland, have appeared after the closure of the Western Balkan route.

In his words, one of the routes passes through Kulata border checkpoint, while the other one is a corridor across the Black Sea to be used in warmer weather.

Ivanov added that if one of the routes is closed, another one will be opened, saying that there are maps depicting alternative routes through Albania and Italy.

He welcomed the agreement between the EU and Turkey on the return of migrants, saying that it should be respected and implemented.

The Macedonian president noted he had met with his Bulgarian counterpart Rosen Plevneliev in Baku, where they had discussed the issue and agreed on joint actions.

In a telephone conversation with Borisov, Ivanov proposed a joint meeting between the defence and interior ministers of the two countries. Among the other proposals were establishing joint border control and conducting joint training between the armies and police forces of the two countries.

Reminding that Bulgaria was the first country to recognise the independence of Macedonia, he expressed his desire for sincere and good neighbourly relations with all neighbours.

Ivanov said that he has invited Plevneliev to visit Macedonia, pointing to the need of more personal contacts to enhance cooperation and increase mutual trust.
                        - See more at: http://www.novinite.com/articles/173....T4CpTo42.dpuf

Comment

• Risto the Great
                          • Sep 2008

There is a language barrier! I struggle to understand them in much the same way as Serbs.

I find Bulgaria a pathetic nation. In that sense Macedonia is quite similar.
                          Risto the Great
                          MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
                          "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com

Comment

• Karposh
                            • Aug 2015

I managed to catch some of the rant that the Bulgarian fanatic Arthur Cyrus managed to spew out before the thread he created suddenly crashed and then disappeared. I suspect SoM deleted his ass and rightly so. BTW, I have a feeling this thread might have been what prompted him in the first place. Same tired old fascist views and propaganda lines that we’ve become accustomed to from our Macedonian-obsessed Bulgarian admirers. Responding would have been akin to dignifying his rant so I’m glad he has been turfed to spare us such a prospect.

There’s an image that often pops into my head every time I see Bulgarian trolls spewing out their anti-Macedonian poison anywhere and everywhere Macedonia and Macedonians are mentioned on the internet. And that is of a persistent and obsessed individual who is completely besotted with another but, sadly, just can’t take the hint. This obsessive Bulgarian crush on Macedonia is of such an image.
                            Worst offenders have to be the trolls on YouTube. Literally, every single Macedonian channel is infested with Bulgarian trolls who, at first rubbish all things Macedonians and then, in a moment of angst, proclaim their love for us and that, if we could just see how much we mean to them, perhaps we could all lovingly embrace and live together with them in loving bliss forever more.

Only someone who has been through the agony of unrequited love could possibly understand the reasons why Bulgarians keep making such fools of themselves chasing the fantasy that is Macedonia. It ain’t ever gonna happen but they persist all the same. The thought process of an obsessed stalker must go something like this: “I love you and you mean the world to me…F*ck you bitch, I hate you and I hope you die…No, no, I didn’t mean that, If you could only see how much you mean to me, you will learn to love me…PLEASE LOVE ME, OH WHY, OH WHY WON’T YOU LOVE ME!”

At a personal level, one could possibly take out a restraining order on such an individual. But on a state level, I wonder if there is such a thing. Could Macedonia potentially tell Bulgaria, at the diplomatic level, “Look guys we’re really flattered that you’re so enamoured with us but, for your own well being, you have to move on with your lives. Sorry, but we’re just not that into you. Get over it!”

Comment

• Amphipolis
                              Banned
                              • Aug 2014

Originally posted by Karposh View Post
                              I managed to catch some of the rant that the Bulgarian fanatic Arthur Cyrus managed to spew out before the thread he created suddenly crashed and then disappeared.
                              If his post was deleted then it must have been really dangerous. I'm becoming more curious. What did he say? Can you give us a short description of content and style?

Comment

• Karposh
                                • Aug 2015

Originally posted by Amphipolis View Post
                                If his post was deleted then it must have been really dangerous. I'm becoming more curious. What did he say? Can you give us a short description of content and style?
                                No, nothing dangerous. Just moronic. In short "Macedonians were created by Tito and are really Bulgarians". Nothing to get curious about. I'm pretty sure you've heard it all before...It's the same script Greeks currently use. No great revelation there.

Comment

Working...
                                X