Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Vangelovski
    • Sep 2008

The advantage/disadvantage of a height difference is mostly psychological I reckon, unless it's so ridiculously large that the shorter fighter can't reach their opponent's head. Mike Tyson, for example, is 178 cm (same as Rocky Marciano) - much shorter than a lot of his opponents. I remember watching an interview with him where he was saying he never realised he was the shorter fighter because he never really thought about it. Probably even less of an issue in UFC.
    If my people who are called by my name will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sins and restore their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14

The Revolution was in the minds and hearts of the people; a change in their religious sentiments, of their duties and obligations...This radical change in the principles, opinions, sentiments, and affections of the people was the real American Revolution. John Adams

Comment

• Risto the Great
      • Sep 2008

Makachev uses his reach quite well. That is always an advantage. Volk is a powerhouse who will find a way to get in hopefully. It's quite the ultimate fighting challenge.
      Risto the Great
      MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
      "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com

Comment

• Phoenix
        • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Risto the Great View Post
        He is facing a formidable opponent. He has gone up a weight category to compete. He is a true warrior and has nothing to lose. Fingers crossed!
        I’ve seen a heap of clips on YouTube in the lead up to this fight where this question of going up in weight has come up…many pundits were saying that Volk should be fine with that because of when he played rugby, the pundits thought he could wear the extra weight easily and he could be better for it because he played his rugby at a much heavier weight…and Volkanovski himself says that in his entire sporting life he’s been underestimated because of his stature but those estimations quickly change after his opponents get punched in the face…lol 🥳

Comment

• Risto the Great
          • Sep 2008

His jab is fast and it makes incredible distance. Apparently Volk was something like 100kg when he was playing rugby. To be fighting at 66kg, I think his muscles would have a memory of that former size. Unless Makhachev locks him up, I think Volk will win.
          Risto the Great

Comment

• Phoenix
            • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Vangelovski View Post
            The advantage/disadvantage of a height difference is mostly psychological I reckon, unless it's so ridiculously large that the shorter fighter can't reach their opponent's head. Mike Tyson, for example, is 178 cm (same as Rocky Marciano) - much shorter than a lot of his opponents. I remember watching an interview with him where he was saying he never realised he was the shorter fighter because he never really thought about it. Probably even less of an issue in UFC.
            Tyson was a freak of nature, his power, his hand speed, his technique and his fighting psychology...Tyson is the exception not the rule.

Reach matters if all other attributes are considered the same but not all attributes and not all fighters are the same because this little issue of skill always stands in the way.

Fighters with long limbs in UFC have pros and cons that a skilful opponent will exploit to their advantage...when the fight is on the ground the grappling, wrestling and jiu jitsu skills come to the fore...the biomechanics of long limbs (levers) comes into play...it can work in your favour or to your detriment.

Comment

• kompir
              • Jan 2015

Makhachev go zakla Volkot:

Доста бе Вегето една, во секоја манџа се мешаш

Comment

• Risto the Great
                • Sep 2008

Rogan thought Volk had it.

No shame in the Volk's performance at all. What a warrior.
                Risto the Great

Comment

• kompir
                  • Jan 2015

It could have gone either way, Волкот е машина
                  Доста бе Вегето една, во секоја манџа се мешаш

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
                    • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Risto the Great View Post
                    Rogan thought Volk had it.

No shame in the Volk's performance at all. What a warrior.
                    It was a very close fight. Many thought that Alex won (including Rogan and co., it would seem). Especially in the closing minutes with Alex pounding him from on top and Islam looking deflated at the end of the fight. Two judges scored it 48-47 whereas the third, clearly a moron, scored it 49-46, which is ridiculous. No matter the official outcome, Alex just proved all of the doubters wrong and also put a huge dent in the boogeyman image of Dagestani wrestlers. He was expected to be choked out within the first couple of rounds, instead, he never looked in danger of being submitted and toughed his way through the fight. His tenacity is second to none. Let Alex defend his featherweight title, then bring on the rematch with Islam.
                    In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.

Comment

• Dejan
                      • Sep 2008

Volk is an absolute machine. His stock would have went up after that performance, regardless of the result. Very inspirational stuff.
                      You want Macedonia? Come and take it from my blood!

A prosperous, independent and free Macedonia for Macedonians will be the ultimate revenge to our enemies.

Comment

• Karposh
                        • Aug 2015

Originally posted by Soldier of Macedon View Post
                        Not one person, such as the founder, chairman or secretary is aware of how detrimental the prefix is to the identity of the country and nation? Not one of them has bothered to check the website that represents their club? Doubtful on both counts, but if it's an innocent mistake that hasn't been noticed due to negligence, then it needs to be rectified immediately, lest it leave a lasting and embarrassing stain. It's not that hard to be consistent. Best of luck to them.
                        The Macedonian Rugby League team played just across the road from where my sister lives over the weekend. Unfortunately, I missed it as I don’t follow them and had no idea they were playing. My sister lives just across the road from the Southern Districts Rugby Club, a very popular local club that attracts decent size crowds each weekend. There was a bigger crowd than usual yesterday afternoon and, after curiosity got the better of him, my brother-in-law decided to stroll over to get a better look, only to see Macedonian flags being waved all over the place. He decided to pay the $10 entry fee and watch the game on a lazy Sunday afternoon between the Macedonian Lions and the team representing Malta.

This prompted me to visit their website again and it looks like they have cleaned it up quite a bit and done some significant changes since I was last on there. There are no more ventilators to be seen at all and the only mention of a “North” Macedonia is in the fine print at the very bottom of each page. My guess is that they couldn’t register their team as just Macedonia, but I’ve watched some of the post-match interviews with the coaching staff and the players and they never ever utter the word “North” in any of their interviews. I never did get a response to my constructive criticism and suggestions that I put to the club last year but it’s nice to see the website is looking pretty good now. Not sure why the “North” has been imposed on the team representing every Macedonian from geographic Macedonia in Australia but, if there is a consolation at all, it is in the fact that you have to look pretty darn hard to spot the “North” prefix. Incidentally, I noticed Alexander Volkanovski is pictured on the site as well with someone associated with the Macedonia team. He can also be seen celebrating with the players on one of the Facebook fan pages that I stumbled onto.

For those Macedonians that are not from NSW, you have to realise that the Macedonian Rugby League team has managed to gather within their ranks a star-studded coaching staff with the likes of former premiership winning coach with Cronulla, Shane Flanagan and ex-Cronulla team captain, Paul Gallon (among others). Also assisting the team is 2GB’s radio personality, Mark Levy. Mark Levy is in fact the team’s president who doesn’t waste a chance to plug the Macedonian Lions on the airwaves. Just listen to the following podcast (warms the heart):

The Continuous Call Team’s Shane Flanagan has taken the helm of the brand-new Macedonian Lions rugby league team. The Lions will debut this Sunday, and head coach Shane told Mark Levy the gig has reminded him of why he started coaching in the first place. Shane has previously held coaching positions in the NRL with […]

The team is improving constantly and there is a very real chance we could see them play in the 2025 Rugby League World Cup to be hosted in France. That is why the coaching staff are so passionate about building this team up and getting them to a point where they can vie for a spot in the World Cup. It’s not such a ridiculous notion if you realise that even Lebanon (i.e. Aussie Lebos) has managed to qualify for the World Cup.

The Macedonian Rugby League team has finally made its long-awaited arrival to the international stage. Meet the team behind Macedonia's International Rugby League Team.
                        Last edited by Karposh; 02-27-2023, 01:20 AM.

Comment

• Karposh
                          • Aug 2015

I found this video from about two years ago in which Volkanovski states that he would more than likely have been playing with the Macedonian Lions Rugby League team if he wasn't involved in MMA. The audio is a bit crap but it's around the 12 minute mark.

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
                            • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Karposh View Post
                            I found this video from about two years ago in which Volkanovski states that he would more than likely have been playing with the Macedonian Lions Rugby League team if he wasn't involved in MMA. The audio is a bit crap but it's around the 12 minute mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rr_FnuxBhrI
                            Here is my take, for what it is worth. Alex is not ashamed of his Macedonian heritage or its true symbols, like the Macedonian sun. That is more than one can say about the ventilator-clad northadonians on FB, who, following the fight against Makachev, were bitching about why Alex had never visited Macedonia. This, of course, from the same idiots who probably voted to change the official state name of Macedonia or did jack shit when it happened. But they were not alone. In unison with the abovementioned idiots, some ethnic Albanians from Macedonia also joined the northadonian bitchfest, partly for the same reason (like they could give a shit either way), but mostly because they were supporting their co-religionist against Alex.

Something further on the last point. Alex always makes it a point to express his Australian patriotism. It is the country of his birth. In many ways, he is a unifier, because, in most cases, Australians from whatever heritage like and support him. At the place I watched the fight, most of the patrons were Macedonians and Aussies. There were also others like Asians, Polynesians and Indians. Everybody went for Alex because he represented Australia and of course, the Macedonians doubly so because of his heritage. Then there was a smaller group of Arabs, who were also Australian-born. They were ecstatic when Makachev got the nod by the judges, not because he is an Arab, but because he is a Muslim. Makes you wonder. When Khabib fought against Gaethje, I went for Khabib because I thought he was the better fighter, and his story was more interesting. Gaethje is also a great fighter, but I did not throw my support behind him just because he has a Christian cross tattooed on his arm. But, whatever.

Alex does his best to stay out of the Macedonian vs Greek conflict for obvious reasons. However, aside from the relatives on his mother's side, some of his friends and other normal Greeks who are not discriminative towards Macedonians, those Greeks who have a feral obsession with Macedonia will never accept Alex (just take a look at the comment made by some moron in that YouTube link you posted, as a simple example). How could they, he represents the very thing they hate, somebody who is not ashamed of his Macedonian heritage. Somebody who calls himself Alexander the Great, not just because his mother is Greek, but mainly because his father is Macedonian. Let's face it, were it not for his father, he would not be using that nickname. Alex has nothing against his mother's heritage and at times speaks of it, however, he seems to be more disposed towards his father's heritage, which is entirely natural, and is, in most cases, the way of the world. Macedonian kids in this country idolise him because they see a world champion with a Macedonian surname who is born in Australia and calls himself Alexander the Great. He has the support of the Macedonian community in Australia. They can identify with him. They treat him as one of their own, and rightfully so. And, contrary to Greeks of the feral kind, they do not feel the need to endlessly whine about the heritage of his other parent.

We do not need or want him to hate the Greek half of his heritage. We just need him to respect his Macedonian heritage. So far, he has done that. And so long as he does that, the Macedonians of Australia that follow MMA will always have his back.
                            In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.

Comment

• Karposh
                              • Aug 2015

Completely agree with those sentiments SoM.

That is more than one can say about the ventilator-clad northadonians on FB, who, following the fight against Makachev, were bitching about why Alex had never visited Macedonia.
                              I'm sure he would have visited his old man's native village of Beranci as a kid. I would be surprised if he hasn't. It's a rite of passage for every young Macedonian kid to visit their parents' village growing up. Whether he decides to visit again now, with his Australian wife and two kids, who knows, maybe he will when he feels good and ready. His girls will no doubt enjoy the experience of seeing that part of their culture. But to call him out for something like that and declare, because he hasn't visited Macedonia recently, he is not Macedonian enough is a disgrace. What a bunch of losers.

Alex does his best to stay out of the Macedonian vs Greek conflict for obvious reasons. However, aside from the relatives on his mother's side, some of his friends and other normal Greeks who are not discriminative towards Macedonians, those Greeks who have a feral obsession with Macedonia will never accept Alex (just take a look at the comment made by some moron in that YouTube link you posted, as a simple example). How could they, he represents the very thing they hate, somebody who his not ashamed of his Macedonian heritage. Somebody who calls himself Alexander the Great, not just because his mother is Greek, but mainly because his father is Macedonian.
                              I'm glad you mentioned this, and I'll tie it in with the comments that you made regarding the Partizan fans from one of the other threads. Before I do, I just want to stress that the last thing I want to do is play devil's advocate or be seen as favouring any one group over another. However, it's an issue I find difficult to navigate at times. I've had my share of heated and ugly debates with both Greeks and Serbs on Youtube and other forums but, the thing is, there are also Greeks & Serbs that are genuinely normal and not blinded by nationalism, which sometimes throw me a bit. It's these people that I hate to offend to be honest. A good example of this can be seen on the Macedonian video of monks from The Bigor Monastery singing the beautiful Orthodox hymn "In the midst of the desert beauty". This video has had over 2.2 million views and the comments come from all over the world including Russians, Serbs, Greeks and even Bulgarians. All of them are positive and include nothing but praises. Many of the Greek comments on there (& there's a lot) are written in Greek and, just when I think, okay here we go, I am pleasantly surprised by the google translations. They all call for respect and peace between Macedonians and Greeks as Orthodox brothers. The Serb comments are simply "Bravo bracho Makedonci" while the Bulgarians too, share the same type of sentiments.
                              Last edited by Karposh; 03-04-2023, 08:13 AM.

Comment

• Karposh
                                • Aug 2015

He's done it again. Alex just chalked up another great win for himself, this time by TKO against Rodriguez. I didn't watch the fight but, reading some of the articles that have quickly popped up, they are saying that it was one of the best fights ever.

UFC fans were just treated to arguably the greatest main event card in the history of the sport inside T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas.

Comment

Working...
                                X