Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dejan
    • Sep 2008

From a non-linguist point of view, even I can see logical errors with spitfire's approach. It's as if he/she will do anything not to acknowledge the fact that there is a Greek word which has Macedonian roots (vasil).

Not to open a can of worms, but what about other greek words such as 'poidi' and odyssey (odisi)? I'm sure there are many more. Isn't it almost the same scenario with these such words? I am no linguist, so relax.

Also, great summary of the thread Philosopher
    You want Macedonia? Come and take it from my blood!

A prosperous, independent and free Macedonia for Macedonians will be the ultimate revenge to our enemies.

Comment

• sydney
      • Sep 2008

I'm with Dejan (and obviously Philosopher) on this. Furthermore, and if i'm not mistaken, I thought many of the old-timers in Macedonia referred to royalty in simple terms such as Vasilot and Vasilicata (King and Queen respectively). This is what I have heard rather than researched.

Comment

• Amphipolis
        Banned
        • Aug 2014

Originally posted by Dejan View Post
        From a non-linguist point of view, even I can see logical errors with spitfire's approach. It's as if he/she will do anything not to acknowledge the fact that there is a Greek word which has Macedonian roots (vasil).
        Not to open a can of worms, but what about other greek words such as 'poidi' and odyssey (odisi)? I'm sure there are many more. Isn't it almost the same scenario with these such words? I am no linguist, so relax.
        Poidi? What is that?
        (Odyssey and Basileus have been discussed so i don't want to start again).

Comment

• Dejan
          • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Amphipolis View Post
          Poidi? What is that?
          (Odyssey and Basileus have been discussed so i don't want to start again).
          Sorry, I think it's 'podi' = foot if I'm not mistaken. As mentioned, i am no linguist.
          You want Macedonia? Come and take it from my blood!

A prosperous, independent and free Macedonia for Macedonians will be the ultimate revenge to our enemies.

Comment

• spitfire
            Banned
            • Aug 2014

How typical is this? When you can't find any arguments you try to attack the credibility of the other side?

There is no linguistic relevance to what you claim and because of that you try to prove me not credible?

Simply by using a slip of the tongue from everywhere you can find it? And what is more outrageous you twist the meaning of what I have said

Vasil has nothing to do with Va Sil and that's a fact from a linguistic point of view. You can try and attack me with whatever you want but you will not prove the meaning of what we are discussing.

I am not going to follow on this twisting. It's either you provide sufficient proof of what you claim or not.
            Last edited by spitfire; 09-29-2014, 11:20 PM.

Comment

• spitfire
              Banned
              • Aug 2014

Originally posted by Philosopher View Post
              But “Vasileos” means king, because it means “king” in Greek, even though the whole point of this discussion was strictly etymological, and even though this word in Greek has no etymological meaning. But random words like “va” and “sil”, which are not random at all, since that is the name, both have individual meaning, this amounts to nothing. Your argument is that Vasil does not mean “in power” simply because this name is used as a name only and not as a title for a prime minster, even though virtually all Macedonian names follow the same pattern.

I rest my case.
              Not yet philosopher. My turn now.

Where did I say That Vasil means king because it means King in Greek? That's twisting of what I have said.
              I said that Vasil comes from Vasileios because linearity tells us so and Vasileios means King in Greek, and that it is used in other meanings.

You are twisting again by saying that macedonian names are not used otherwise, as if Greek names do. Georgos is not a name philosopher, Giorgos is a name or Georgios. It derives from Georgos sure but the name is Giorgos.

Despite my efforts of trying to establish from you Vasil used in other cases, which means that you should have provided me with a closely resembling word, you couldn't provide me with such. This is why Vasil can't be explained as Va and Sil. It's because it doesn't follow linguistic rules. You want to create new rules of yours? Fine, but don't expect me to follow.

And you say you found macedonian words in Vasil??? I found greek words in Napoleon, gee that must be greek!!! The proportions of such untenable notion is simply undescribable!!! Whatever the case, synchronic (static) or diachronic (evolutionary) you fail it. Now get rid of your assumptions and follow linguistic rules.

Who's incosistent now? You refuse to accept linguistic tactics in order to establish meanings and you call me inconsistent?
              Last edited by spitfire; 09-30-2014, 03:02 AM.

Comment

• Nikolaj
                • Aug 2014

Originally posted by spitfire View Post
                Vasil has nothing to do with Va Sil and that's a fact from a linguistic point of view. You can try and attack me with whatever you want but you will not prove the meaning of what we are discussing.
                You are denying something which is extremely consistent and viable. If not specifically for Vasill, for many other words.

If that does not meet the requirements of etymological principles, clearly those principles need to be re-worked.

I would like to emphasize that languages break down words differently, that fact that Greek words break down in a certain way, does not imply every other language would break down their words the same way.
                Which is also extremely rational and logical, as far as I'm aware, there wasn't an international meeting on word creation in 10,000BC where they made a universal standard..

Edit:

Here's a book specifically called "Principles of Greek etymology"

It is called Greek etymology for a reason, it is not called "Principles of Macedonian etymology" or "Principles of OCS etymology" for a reason.
                For the same reason principles aren't consistent with other languages, applying Greek etymology to another language is simply stupid.
                This thread is not basing it off Greek etymology, which is what you are failing to understand - and making a mockery of yourself by not doing so.
                Last edited by Nikolaj; 09-30-2014, 03:31 AM.

Comment

• spitfire
                  Banned
                  • Aug 2014

Originally posted by Nikolaj View Post
                  You are denying something which is extremely consistent and viable.
                  Says who? You? Well the moment you can't establish it synchronically or diachronically you are denying linguistics.

It's as simple as that.

If that does not meet the requirements of etymological principles, clearly those principles need to be re-worked.
                  Absolutely. Let's call popeye to fix the matter.

Comment

• Nikolaj
                    • Aug 2014

Says who? You? Well the moment you can't establish it synchronically or diachronically you are denying linguistics.

It's as simple as that.
                    Holy crap......

The fact you don't understand what we're telling you, makes me doubt you had a single ounce of intelligence.
                    Like you said in the past, no knowledge is better than lack of knowledge.
                    Maybe instead I should write, no discussion is necessary if you are discussing it with a person in denial of the obvious.

Etymological principles differ between languages.

Maybe increasing the size will help you comprehend that sentence.

Absolutely. Let's call popeye to fix the matter.
                    This is an ignorant statement, the world always wants to propel in knowledge, you are opposing that ideology to support your false agenda.

Comment

• Amphipolis
                      Banned
                      • Aug 2014

Originally posted by Dejan View Post
                      Sorry, I think it's 'podi' = foot if I'm not mistaken. As mentioned, i am no linguist.
                      Here's some info on πους/pous (in English)

Comment

• spitfire
                        Banned
                        • Aug 2014

Holy crap......

The fact you don't understand what we're telling you, makes me doubt you had a single ounce of intelligence.
                        Like you said in the past, no knowledge is better than lack of knowledge.
                        Maybe instead I should write, no discussion is necessary if you are discussing it with a person in denial of the obvious.

Etymological principles differ between languages.

Maybe increasing the size will help you comprehend that sentence.

This is an ignorant statement, the world always wants to propel in knowledge, you are opposing that ideology to support your false agenda.
                        Yeah right...

There are some things that are common knowledge my friend. Here's something to help you out.

You are not unique in this world and uniqueness is measured other than you think.

Now read about the signifier and the signified.

Comment

• Nikolaj
                          • Aug 2014

Yeah right...

There are some things that are common knowledge my friend. Here's something to help you out.

You are not unique in this world and uniqueness is measured other than you think.

Now read about the signifier and the signified.
                          The linguistic value of a word (a signifier) comes from its property of standing for a concept (the signified).
                          The value of the signified comes from its relation to other concepts. The value of the complete sign comes from the way in which it unites the signifier and the signified.

The breaking down of a word is accepted in any variant if it has a conceptual framework. This does not oppose the breaking down of the word Vasil to Va sil, when the signifier and signified are united.
                          Last edited by Nikolaj; 09-30-2014, 10:04 AM. Reason: Site keeps crashing, quite common at this time of night. I am off to sleep for now anyways.

Comment

• spitfire
                            Banned
                            • Aug 2014

Well done. Now give me the sign, the signifier and the signified of Vasil.

Comment

• spitfire
                              Banned
                              • Aug 2014

Originally posted by Amphipolis View Post
                              Here's some info on πους/pous (in English)
                              http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/%CF%80%CE%BF%CF%8D%CF%82
                              Very interesting and helpful on the subject. I got to this by the way, from your link.

And another helpful thing about the credibility asked, is the Liddell & Scott, Clarendon Press, Oxford, 1940 Lexicon which is mentioned at the bottom of the page.

Comment

• Stevce
                                • Jan 2016

The earliest form of the name I could find is from a Wilusa king from 1200bc.

Comment

Working...
                                X