X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Soldier of Macedon
    • Sep 2008

Anton Drandar of Veles, Macedonia

This person went by the alias of 'Brutus', thus trying to pass as a foreigner, which is what I assumed until I thought I would dig a little deeper. In the link it is stated that he stayed in Macedonia in the service of a foreign country, hence the reason why his writing seems like that of a foreigner. If anybody has anymore information about him, please share it.

A. BRUTUS (A. DRANDAR), "CONCERNING A MOVEMENT IN MACEDONIA" (1776) 1900
    A considerable section of the European press does not cease to inform us of the immense sufferings undergone by the Christian population of Macedonia. Particularly in recent times, the press has presented in most dark colours the unbearable situation of the aforementioned population, a situation that can only end in general catastrophe for the Ottoman Empire. It was the sad fate of that population that made us publish this booklet, based upon the experience and personal observations I had acquired impartially, as a foreigner, (1177) during my stay in Macedonia of several years. If one takes a retrospective view of the history of Macedonia to the most ancient of times, one remains amazed by the great role this small country, this classical country par excellence, played in the world. Protected to the north by a broad chain of grandiose mountains, adorned with pleasant valleys and picturesque ravines, which give it the stamp of a Switzerland of the East, with a moderate climate and fertile soil, embedded in the wonderful coast of the Aegean Sea, located at the crossroads of the Old and New World, Macedonia enjoyed the lucky privilege of being in the first place in general progress. The Macedonian, born in a land to which nature was so favourable, has always longed for heroic feats and aspired to great deeds, not only in the domain of pure knowledge, but also in the political domain, as well as that of social progress. From the very beginning of history, we see Macedonia at the head of nations. Its reputation is universal; its glory has spread to all four sides of the world. Macedonia spreads its sovereignty over other significant nations; it destroys great barbaric kingdoms, it establishes new states and new commercial centres. Even the glorious cradle of Ancient Hellenism is subjected to the Macedonian kings. The fiery word of Demosthenes lags behind the cold reasoning of Philip. (1178) Alexander the Great, whose glory is epic, goes from victory to victory and subjugates the greatest kingdoms to his power. But his army does not spread terror, panic and destruction among the barbaric peoples; on the contrary, he brings to them the lights and virtues of civilization. ..

We find Macedonians on the Byzantine throne at the time when this empire was at its peak. As long as the Macedonian dynasty governed the fate of Byzantium, the empire preserved its power and was respected by its enemies. When the dynasty was extinguished, soon afterwards the full decadence of Byzantium began. Following the course of history, we see how the star of Macedonia shone with the same intensity. It plays the chief role in the revival of the Slav people. Thus, the two brothers exalted to apostles, Cyril and Methodius, objects of general admiration for the Slav world, are Macedonians, and owing to the very existence of these two apostles, this small land becomes the cradle of the Slav people to whom it gives its religion and its art.........

...If Macedonia wants to be a master of itself and a master of its own destiny; if it wants to free itself from the unjust tyrant which has oppressed it for centuries, and if it wants tomorrow to be prepared to fight against all those who would like to usurp its territory and establish their domination, it is necessary for it to start using its might for the establishment of an unbreakable national unification! , , , (1179)............

The inhabitants of Macedonia do not want to be annexed either to Bulgaria or Serbia, or Greece; they want, they want so strongly, to live a human life in an autonomous country. Their slogan is "Macedonia to the Macedonians." (1180)

A. Brutus, A Propos d'un Mouvement en Macedoine, Bruxelles 1900, pp. 12-13, 15, 56.
    (1176) In order to inform the European public of the independent development of Macedonia, the Macedonian circles abroad were particularly active. Such a mission was undertaken also by Anton Drandar from Veles, a highly educated person from Macedonia of the second half of the 19th century and the first decades of the 20th century. He published a number of writings on the situation of Macedonian matters. Depending on the circumstances in which he worked and acted, he approached Macedonia and the Macedonian differently. But we observe in this author also a tendency towards a more adequate definition of the political arrangement of Macedonia, by supporting political separatism and using a great deal of distinct Macedonist views. A. Drandar expresses these views especially in his book "Concerning a Movement in Macedonia" (A Propos d'un Mouvement en Macedoine), published in Brussels in 1900 under the pseudo name of A. Brutus from which we quote here.
    (1177) A. Drandar claims that he stayed in Macedonia in the service of a foreign state. He does not state any further details. (A. Brutus, A. Propos d'un Mouvement en Macedoine, Brussels, 1900, p. 15).
    (1178) i. e. Philip of Macedon.
    (1179) Interrupted as in the original (A Brutus, Op cit., p 15. The subsequent text deal, with the history of the Eastern Question (pp 15-56).
    (1180) In the original: “…Le, habitants de la Macedolne ne desirent etre aunexes ni a la Bulgarie, ni a la Serbie, ni a la Grece; ils desirent, et ils desirent imperieusement, vivre d'une existence humaine dans un pays autonome. Leur mot de ralliement est: ‘La Macedoine aux Macedoniens’.” (A Brutu" Op cit, p 56). (Pages 410-412, The University of “Cyril and Methodius”, Documents on the Struggle of the Macedonian People for Independence and a Nation-State, Volume I)
    In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.
  • Risto the Great
    • Sep 2008

Some brilliant observations.
    Really nice text.
    Risto the Great
    MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
    "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com

Comment

• Pelister
      • Sep 2008

Wow. This is really interesting.

The archives in Brussels might have something I am guessing.

Comment

• Sarafot
        • Dec 2008

Some time i'm wondering, are arguments like this and others that have bean founded by you guys, are our polititions useing them in all of that that is going around with Greeks??
        Ние македонците не сме ни срби, ни бугари, туку просто Македонци. Ние ги симпатизираме и едните и другите, кој ќе не ослободи, нему ќе му речеме благодарам, но србите и бугарите нека не забораваат дека Македонија е само за Македонците.
        - Борис Сарафов, 2 септември 1902

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
          • Sep 2008

Much of the wording is impeccable, above all, I like how the following reads,
          Following the course of history, we see how the star of Macedonia shone with the same intensity. It plays the chief role in the revival of the Slav people. Thus, the two brothers exalted to apostles, Cyril and Methodius, objects of general admiration for the Slav world, are Macedonians, and owing to the very existence of these two apostles, this small land becomes the cradle of the Slav people to whom it gives its religion and its art.........
          Interesting to note is how the Cyrillo-Methodian era is referred to as the 'revival' of the Slavs, rather than the 'creation'.
          In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
            • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Sarafot View Post
            Some time i'm wondering, are arguments like this and others that have bean founded by you guys, are our polititions useing them in all of that that is going around with Greeks??
            Unfortunately, the answer is no or not nearly enough, although I have no doubt that they have the resources to locate much of what we find.

Comment

• Daskalot
              • Sep 2008

nice information SoM, yes the Greeks have the resources and more still, they must tell the world that we do not exist and that they are the "real" Macedonians.......
              Macedonian Truth Organisation

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
                • Sep 2008

If Macedonia wants to be a master of itself and a master of its own destiny; if it wants to free itself from the unjust tyrant which has oppressed it for centuries, and if it wants tomorrow to be prepared to fight against all those who would like to usurp its territory and establish their domination, it is necessary for it to start using its might for the establishment of an unbreakable national unification!
                Still true to this day.

Comment

• Daskalot
                  • Sep 2008

Can we find any more info regarding Drandar? Who was he?
                  Macedonian Truth Organisation

Comment

Working...
                  X