View Single Post
Old 03-15-2013, 12:01 PM   #3
EricTheRed

EricTheRed is on a distinguished road

I think the professor confused the apparent unwillingness of these students to answer the question(probably boredom) with lack of basic historical knowledge. When in any university amphitheater, with 300 students, a professor asks a question, do you expect 300 hands to raise? Depending on the question, it may vary from 1-6 at most people willing to answer. This however does not mean that the rest of the students do not know the answer. They just find it troublesome to answer, because a uni prof in an amphitheater probably expects something more than a ''yes. this and that''. Never mind that this particular question has absolutely nothing to do with the subject of the lecture.

While there should have been more people willing to think for half a minute in order to phrase an appropriate answer, I seriously doubt 299 university students really didnt know what the battle of Marathon was about, since every single one of them was taught about it during elementary and high school, in history classes. Moreover, almost 95% of students entering the Political Sciences school chose theoretical specialization during high school, which has its own set of history courses, apart from the general history lessons taken by the entire student body. The battle of Marathon is mentioned many times for different reasons during the various history courses during the 12 years of elementary and high school. Hence I find it hard to believe that 299 people really did not know ''about it''.

Which brings me to this point: the question is too general: ''Do you know about the battle of Marathon?''. Imagine a university professor, during a lecture about radiation medicine for example, asking the whole crowd if they know about WW2. As a student, you sit down and think about what the prof wants to hear about. Answers like ''yes'' or ''duh, yeah'' or ''sure'' arent appropriate. Hence you will need to specialize, but on what? The reasons behind the war? The actual events? The aftereffects?. At this point 95% of university students(excluding history students) will conclude that answering is too much trouble for nothing, or that it's a trick question(this happens A LOT, from my experience), and they will leave this troublesome task to their most willing to answer classmates. that remaining 5%.

In our case, after too much awkward silence, mainly because of how wrongly the prof phrased his question, a girl decided to answer. A logical conclusion, someone had to answer him somehow.

The rest of it however sounds too ideal..... How is one rewarding a student when asking about names/residence etc? I've never heard something like this being a reward of sorts. And the fact that this student is from Albania makes it sound even more ''too good to be true''. Its not a teenage high school drama, for god's sake, its reality.

Allow me to seriously doubt the credibility of this incident.

Even if it is true, this girl has really wrong mentality or is just socially retarded. If she's a second generation, as it is most ordinary, she has probably lived her entire life in Greece, attending Greek schools, having Greek friends etc. If she attends a Greek uni, she will try to be employed later on in Greece.
Which brings me to this conclusion: When she was asked about her home, she answered Albania..... Thats a show of loyalty towards a country that has offered her nothing. Knowing albanian irredentism, one can get really worried about such statements coming from twenty year olds otherwise fully incorporated in greek society.

If on the other hand she's just immigrated(which I sincerely doubt, since she is obliged to follow the entire 6 year high school course in Greece in order to be eligible to apply for greek univesities via the Panhellenic exams), then she answered correctly for both questions-she gets a 10 and a smiley.

Last edited by EricTheRed; 03-15-2013 at 12:04 PM.
EricTheRed is offline   Reply With Quote