X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Liberator of Makedonija
    • Apr 2014

Republic of Pontus

Recently stumbled across a Wikipedia page dedicated to the 'Republic of Pontus', a proposed state at the Paris Peace Conference (1919) that was to be home to the Pontic people. I have read many times on this forum on the origin on the Pontic people and who they were. I have opened this thread to further that discussion as well as any information relevant to the 'Republic of Pontus'.

Wikipedia link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republic_of_Pontus
    I know of two tragic histories in the world- that of Ireland, and that of Macedonia. Both of them have been deprived and tormented.
  • Niko777
    • Oct 2010

Today Aegean Macedonia is the Republic of Pontus

Last edited by Niko777; 08-23-2016, 04:42 PM.

Comment

• Risto the Great
      • Sep 2008

I asked my uncle if it is easy to spot the former Turkish national immigrants in Egej.
      He said:
      "as if, take a look at their noses ... you can spot them a mile away"
      Risto the Great
      MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
      "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com

Comment

• Liberator of Makedonija
        • Apr 2014

Originally posted by Niko777 View Post
        Today Aegean Macedonia is the Republic of Pontus

Niko, do you mean that Pontic people were sent to Aegean Macedonia during the population exchange between Greece and Turkey to colonise the land?
        I know of two tragic histories in the world- that of Ireland, and that of Macedonia. Both of them have been deprived and tormented.

Comment

• Niko777
          • Oct 2010

Originally posted by Liberator of Makedonija View Post
          Niko, do you mean that Pontic people were sent to Aegean Macedonia during the population exchange between Greece and Turkey to colonise the land?
          Yes, and the highest concentration of Pontians in the world today are in Aegean Macedonia. There are numerous Pontian festivals in almost every town, there are new churches dedicated to Pontians, there are Pontian cultural associations and dance groups. In some places like Meglen (an historic Macedonian region where St. Zlata came from) they make up at least half of the population. In other words, Aegean Macedonia is the closest thing to a "Republic of Pontus" that they'll ever achieve.

The same is true for Cappadocians, Karamanlides, Asia Minor Greeks, and Eastern Thrace Greeks, but Pontians are more proud of their heritage than the others, they network and take care of each other.

Comment

• Risto the Great
            • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Niko777 View Post
            Yes, and the highest concentration of Pontians in the world today are in Aegean Macedonia. There are numerous Pontian festivals in almost every town, there are new churches dedicated to Pontians, there are Pontian cultural associations and dance groups. In some places like Meglen (an historic Macedonian region where St. Zlata came from) they make up at least half of the population. In other words, Aegean Macedonia is the closest thing to a "Republic of Pontus" that they'll ever achieve.
            And TV shows dedicated to the tragedies they suffered are on TV every other day. And Macedonians begin to develop sympathy for them while they forget about their own family's sufferings. All part of the Hellenic mind meld.

And the Pontians (among others) were not necessary to colonise the region. There were plenty of Macedonians there!
            Risto the Great

Comment

• Amphipolis
              Banned
              • Aug 2014

Originally posted by Risto the Great View Post
              And the Pontians (among others) were not necessary to colonise the region. There were plenty of Macedonians there!
              That is not true. As the above map shows the exchangeables were located in certain districts to replace the Turk/Muslim/Bulgarian exchangeables that left in the 2 Balkan Wars and the Greek-Turkish War (Epirus, Macedonia, Western Thrace, Crete).

Of course, it was much more complicated than this, because after being originally located somewhere, people would start leaving and searching for a more familiar environment. For instance, a whole Pontian village that lived at the shore of a lake at Pontus and were fishermen, would search for a similar landscape.

Eventually, many refugees ended up in Attica and all over Greece.

Comment

• Risto the Great
                • Sep 2008

Macedonians were forced to share their houses with them.
                Those imports had absolutely nothing to do with Macedonia, and now they call themselves Macedonians. Go figure.
                Risto the Great

Comment

• vicsinad
                  • May 2011

Originally posted by Amphipolis View Post
                  That is not true. As the above map shows the exchangeables were located in certain districts to replace the Turk/Muslim/Bulgarian exchangeables that left in the 2 Balkan Wars and the Greek-Turkish War (Epirus, Macedonia, Western Thrace, Crete).

Of course, it was much more complicated than this, because after being originally located somewhere, people would start leaving and searching for a more familiar environment. For instance, a whole Pontian village that lived at the shore of a lake at Pontus and were fishermen, would search for a similar landscape.

Eventually, many refugees ended up in Attica and all over Greece.
                  Ought to be able to exchange the above exchangeable with someone else from another forum. Seems that you forgot that Macedonians were part of that "exchange." Or are you trying to call us Bulgarians?

Comment

• Amphipolis
                    Banned
                    • Aug 2014

Originally posted by Risto the Great View Post
                    Macedonians were forced to share their houses with them.
                    That is impossible.

Originally posted by vicsinad View Post
                    Ought to be able to exchange the above exchangeable with someone else from another forum. Seems that you forgot that Macedonians were part of that "exchange." Or are you trying to call us Bulgarians?
                    Are you referring to the (less known and involving smaller numbers) population exchanges with Bulgaria? Or to the Muslim/Turks? They were all from Macedonia, but I don’t know how you see each group. It’s also not clear how the saw themselves and in which percentages.

Comment

• vicsinad
                      • May 2011

That is impossible.

Are you referring to the (less known and involving smaller numbers) population exchanges with Bulgaria? Or to the Muslim/Turks? They were all from Macedonia, but I don’t know how you see each group. It’s also not clear how the saw themselves and in which percentages.
                      Don't be a worm. This is not a forum to push the chauvinistic Greek line that Macedonians were Bulgarians. You listed three categories of people from Macedonia: Bulgarians, Turks and Muslims. You intentionally left out that there were Macedonians among them.

I can clear up for you how they saw themselves. As a matter of fact, this forum has already done that for you. Stop posting your rubbish.

Comment

• Amphipolis
                        Banned
                        • Aug 2014

I can clear up for you how they saw themselves.
                        Can you really? I thought it would be impossible or at least very difficult.

I'm sure there are sources, books, studies and estimations can be made. Right now, I can't find the basics like numbers and occasions but I'm pretty sure there's a long discussion about THESE exchanges (the ones between Greece and Bulgaria) somewhere in the forum, including posts by me.

Comment

• vicsinad
                          • May 2011

Yes, THOSE exchanges. You left out that Macedonians were a part of THOSE exchanges.

Comment

• Amphipolis
                            Banned
                            • Aug 2014

Yes, THOSE exchanges. You left out that Macedonians were a part of THOSE exchanges.
                            Referring to voluntary exchanges of Treaty of Nuilly, 1919 I thought Macedonians were not part but ALL of it. Actually, it included people from Thrace too but I don't have the numbers per area.

Totally, 90,000 people moved from Greece to Bulgaria and 50,000 from Bulgaria to Greece. After that, a census in Greece announces a more accurate number (41,000) of Slavic speakers that decided to stay.

It's possible this division was based on Patriarchist- Exarchists aligning, pro-Greek or pro-Bulgarian consciousness, personal reasons etc., I guess several speculations and estimations are possible since it was voluntary.

A relevant thread is here (but not the only one)

TREATY OF NEUILLY, AND PROTOCOL THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA, THE BRITISH EMPIRE, FRANCE, ITALY and JAPAN. These Powers being described in the present Treaty as the Principal Allied and Associated Powers; BELGIUM, CHINA, CUBA, GREECE, THE HEDJAZ, POLAND, PORTUGAL, ROUMANIA, THE SERB-CROAT-SLOVENE STATE, SIAM and

Comment

• vicsinad
                              • May 2011

After that, a census in Greece announces a more accurate number (41,000) of Slavic speakers that decided to stay.
                              There you go again. First they're Bulgarians, then they're Exarchists, then they have pro-Bulgarian consciousness, then they're Slavic speakers.

Keep on running from the truth. It'll soon come to bite you in the ass.

Comment

Working...
                              X