X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Liberator of Makedonija
    • Apr 2014

Etymology of 'Месечина'

I was wondering if anyone could give me the etymology of this word? Considering it's very different to what 'moon' is in most other European languages and is very different to the Bulgarian equivalent (Луна). I draw attention to the Bulgarian word because Bulgarian is probably the closest language to Macedonian and a lot of the etymology of our words is similar but somehow they ended up with the Latin word (Luna) and we ended up with something completely different. I know in Serbian the word is 'Месец' which is closer to 'Месечина' but still quite different. The other closest equivalents I could are as follows:

Belarusian: месяц*
    Ukrainian: місяць*
    Czech: měsíc
    Slovak: mesiac
    Bosnian/Croatian: mjesec

*It should be noted that the Belarusian and Ukrainian words for 'moon' differ quite a lot from the Russian, considering how closely related the three languages are (some linguists would argue they are the one language). The Russian word for 'moon' is 'Луна', the same as Bulgarian. I have often said (as others) that Bulgarian was heavily influenced by Russian and wonder if that is how they ended up with 'Луна' which is very different from its closest neighbours, Serbian and Macedonian.
    I know of two tragic histories in the world- that of Ireland, and that of Macedonia. Both of them have been deprived and tormented.
  • vicsinad
    • May 2011

Good observation. We have 'mesec' for month and 'mesechina' for moon. One is derived from the other because there is approximately one full moon every month. So maybe looking at both the terms for moon and month will help?

Month in following languages:
    Bulgarian = mesec
    Russian - mesjac
    Serbian = mesec
    Croatian - mjesec
    Spanish = mes
    Italian = mese
    Latin = mense

Two observations I noted: Serbian and Croatian use the same word for moon as they use for month in their respective languages. Many languages that use some version of luna for moon still use some variation of mes- for month.

Comment

• Apr 2014

Originally posted by vicsinad View Post
      Good observation. We have 'mesec' for month and 'mesechina' for moon. One is derived from the other because there is approximately one full moon every month. So maybe looking at both the terms for moon and month will help?

Month in following languages:
      Bulgarian = mesec
      Russian - mesjac
      Serbian = mesec
      Croatian - mjesec
      Spanish = mes
      Italian = mese
      Latin = mense

Two observations I noted: Serbian and Croatian use the same word for moon as they use for month in their respective languages. Many languages that use some version of luna for moon still use some variation of mes- for month.

I can't believe I didn't pick up on that! Good observation vicsinad.
      I know of two tragic histories in the world- that of Ireland, and that of Macedonia. Both of them have been deprived and tormented.

Comment

• Toska
        • Sep 2008

menstrual, womens monthly period also has the same meaning

late Middle English: from Latin menstrualis, from menstruum ‘menses’, from mensis ‘month’.

mensis and meces sound pretty much the same, what came first the chicken or the egg ??

Comment

• Risto the Great
          • Sep 2008

And menstrual sounds like monster for obvious reasons. ^_^
          Risto the Great
          MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
          "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
            • Sep 2008

Many languages in general have either the same or similar words for month and moon, such as Turkish 'ay', Filipino 'buwan', even Zulu 'inyanga'. In all three of those languages, it is the same word for both moon and month. The Macedonian words mesec and mesechina ultimately stem from Proto Indo-European *meH₁ns, which also supposedly means both moon and month.
            Originally posted by Liberator of Makedonija
            The Russian word for 'moon' is 'Луна', the same as Bulgarian. I have often said (as others) that Bulgarian was heavily influenced by Russian and wonder if that is how they ended up with 'Луна'......
            Bulgarian was heavily influenced by Russian, of that there is no doubt, and 'luna' is most likely a Russian borrowing into Bulgarian.
            In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.

Comment

• Apr 2014

Originally posted by Soldier of Macedon View Post
              Bulgarian was heavily influenced by Russian, of that there is no doubt, and 'luna' is most likely a Russian borrowing into Bulgarian.
              Glad you share my theory there SoM.

Comment

Working...
              X