Macedonian traditions in the diaspora

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • julie
    Senior Member
    • May 2009
    • 3869

    #16
    LOL, we have some good ones. When I married Brendon, there was no bridal part our combined family was in the wedding. The boys washed his feet and took great joy in shaving him with an axe smothered his head with shaving cream, non traditional, but he enjoyed it as did the boys.......the shoe think, maloto deverche, the young page boy puts money in the bride's shoe, lordy, so many traditions and so much was done in my first marriage need to write a book about it lol. Congratulations BiJ. Have you chatted to the couple about what their own expectations are ?
    "The moral revolution - the revolution of the mind, heart and soul of an enslaved people, is our greatest task."__________________Gotse Delchev

    Comment

    • Soldier of Macedon
      Senior Member
      • Sep 2008
      • 13675

      #17
      Originally posted by Bij View Post
      and an axe isn't ridiculous?
      No, it's not, because it's a sharp object that has been in use as a weapon and tool for centuries. Chainsaws weren't around when the tradition arose.
      In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.

      Comment

      • Bij
        Member
        • Oct 2009
        • 905

        #18
        Originally posted by julie View Post
        LOL, we have some good ones. When I married Brendon, there was no bridal part our combined family was in the wedding. The boys washed his feet and took great joy in shaving him with an axe smothered his head with shaving cream, non traditional, but he enjoyed it as did the boys.......the shoe think, maloto deverche, the young page boy puts money in the bride's shoe, lordy, so many traditions and so much was done in my first marriage need to write a book about it lol. Congratulations BiJ. Have you chatted to the couple about what their own expectations are ?
        thanks for your comments julie. I have spoken to both bride and groom. The groom simply does not care and has never really given a crap about the traditions, and the bride is from skopje so there are a lot of differentiating traditions from her end. She tells me they dont even mesi a svajka in skopje

        Anyway, I should remember something from my wedding day but it was all such a blur that I don't remember anything! I just had a camera man pointing and telling me what to do (lucky he was there!). I hate watching the dvd (my inlaws played it over and over and over and over and over while we were in Macedonia) that I haven't even put it on since we've come back to Australia. Plus, the traditions in Macedonia are different to here so I don't really know what's what.

        my hubby hasn't got a clue for the life of him, pretty sure he was off his face for 2-3 days before and after the wedding. he is very go-with-the-flow anyway

        Comment

        • Bij
          Member
          • Oct 2009
          • 905

          #19
          Originally posted by Soldier of Macedon View Post
          No, it's not, because it's a sharp object that has been in use as a weapon and tool for centuries. Chainsaws weren't around when the tradition arose.
          oh bullshit. the chainsaw is as tongue in cheek as the axe. neither of them are a traditional shaving blade that would've been used. it's all a bit of fun anyway.

          Comment

          • lavce pelagonski
            Senior Member
            • Nov 2009
            • 1993

            #20
            Bij my brother is getting married soon, he bought one torba for the dever with the Macedonian sun and the other torba with united Macedonia and Makedonsko zname and a bokalce with the sun on one side and aleksandar on the other. No ventilator in sight.

            Last edited by lavce pelagonski; 07-17-2013, 11:11 PM. Reason: On the other side of the torba it says "Makedonija vecna"
            Стравот на Атина од овој Македонец одел до таму што го нарекле Страшниот Чакаларов гркоубиец и крвожеден комитаџија.

            Ако знам дека тука тече една капка грчка крв, јас сега би ја отсекол целата рака и би ја фрлил в море. Васил Чакаларов

            Comment

            • George S.
              Senior Member
              • Aug 2009
              • 10116

              #21
              I usually see its the macedonian sun flag used.Anyone using the ventilator shows a lot of disrespect.
              "Ido not want an uprising of people that would leave me at the first failure, I want revolution with citizens able to bear all the temptations to a prolonged struggle, what, because of the fierce political conditions, will be our guide or cattle to the slaughterhouse"
              GOTSE DELCEV

              Comment

              • lavce pelagonski
                Senior Member
                • Nov 2009
                • 1993

                #22
                Galichnik Wedding 2013 - TV Spot (HD) - YouTube
                Стравот на Атина од овој Македонец одел до таму што го нарекле Страшниот Чакаларов гркоубиец и крвожеден комитаџија.

                Ако знам дека тука тече една капка грчка крв, јас сега би ја отсекол целата рака и би ја фрлил в море. Васил Чакаларов

                Comment

                • George S.
                  Senior Member
                  • Aug 2009
                  • 10116

                  #23
                  I think after the shave the little deverce washes the feet of the zet & uses a onion as soap or can use a real one.After that a towel is unfolded in front of the zet & money is put in the towel.Then the towel is wrapped with the money & is given to the zet.The zet gives some money to the little deverce.
                  "Ido not want an uprising of people that would leave me at the first failure, I want revolution with citizens able to bear all the temptations to a prolonged struggle, what, because of the fierce political conditions, will be our guide or cattle to the slaughterhouse"
                  GOTSE DELCEV

                  Comment

                  • Bij
                    Member
                    • Oct 2009
                    • 905

                    #24
                    Originally posted by George S. View Post
                    I think after the shave the little deverce washes the feet of the zet & uses a onion as soap or can use a real one.After that a towel is unfolded in front of the zet & money is put in the towel.Then the towel is wrapped with the money & is given to the zet.The zet gives some money to the little deverce.
                    Man, I've never seen a mal dever until I went to a wedding in Ohrid. Is this normal? Do we have these in Australia, or is it just not done in the Bitolski region?

                    Comment

                    • makedonche
                      Senior Member
                      • Oct 2008
                      • 3242

                      #25
                      Originally posted by Bij View Post
                      Man, I've never seen a mal dever until I went to a wedding in Ohrid. Is this normal? Do we have these in Australia, or is it just not done in the Bitolski region?
                      Bij
                      I think you'll find that the customs and traditions vary from village to village, town to town and region to region. A good example is the dialect differences, an example is the Bitolcani and the Aegetski and the variation in words used, e.g. - spolaiti/falla.
                      On Delchev's sarcophagus you can read the following inscription: "We swear the future generations to bury these sacred bones in the capital of Independent Macedonia. August 1923 Illinden"

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X