X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pelister
    • Sep 2008

Greeks acknowledging the Macedonians

Just thought I would bring the various threads on this forum together for this.

Greek newspaper acknowledges the Macedonians.

Словените во Македонија ќе печатат граматика за да дој

Friday 8 July 1905 << A few months ago it was announced in Monastiri* by the Macedonian Organization Committee, that it undertook a project to publish a Macedonian Grammar. The committee consists of seven professors of linguistics. As base for this grammar will be the dialect spoken in the Vilayet of Monastiri*. This dialect has already been proclaimed by the committee as the Macedonian language. The teachers of the Slavic schools in Macedonia are ordered to teach this language instead of the Serbian or Bulgarian and through this to put in place a base for the creation of an independent Macedonia. In the future textbooks and other books will be printed in this Macedonian language, soon after it is thought by the Organization to prohibit the use of the Serbian and Bulgarian languages >>[SKRIP, 8/7/1905, p. 1.]
    *Monastiri = Bitola.
    Ion Dragoumis mentions the Macedonian-speakers

You cannot own every town/city that is inhabited by Greeks. If so Massalia would be yours, as well as Edessa
    -The same observation more or less I make of you.
    You want to make the area of Monastiri yours, because there are towns there where Macedonian* is spoken, which you call Bulgarian.
    - Many towns! All the towns in the area speak Bulgarian!

Do they wish to be Greeks or not?
    And since they do want(to be Greek), Im not sure if language is enough proof of a peoples ethnicity.
    First off, the language in question is not spoken by all, but only some Macedonian villagers. Those who speak it, do so only in their houses not in public(agora), where they speak Greek. And finally, this language is not Bulgarian, but a mix of slavic and Greek. It is not Bulgarian, Bulgarian does not exist even in Bulgaria. The cities of Macedonia are clearly Greek, the people of the area are Greek, the history of the area is Greek, and the actual land(earth/dirt) is Greek.

- I can not understand, and I never will, this idea that you have that the Macedonians lost their language and picked up Bulgarian.
    -I can not see how the Bulgarians who are Ouvo(?)-Tartars lost their language and took...

*the exact translation from Greek is Macedonian language
    Ion Dragoumis mentions the Macedonians

The man came from a family of Greeks who had moved in the 16th century from Albania to a village outside Florina in western Macedonia, called Vogatsiko, so as to avoid forcible conversion to Islam. Ion's great grandfather, Mark Dragoumis (1770-1854), had been a member of the &quot;Friendly Society&quot; that had started the

Throughout much of the text, Dragoumis wrote in broad, general categories of "Greek" and "Bulgarian". Yet occasionally, particularly when articulating a detailed ethnographic point, he also spoke of "Macedonians of Macedonia" and the "Vlachs of Hellenism". The context of national struggle in Macedonia at the time of Dragoumis' writing shaped a broad rhetorical framework of Greek-Bulgarian opposition in his political discourse. The equally important context of local conditions, as he himself had observed and experienced them, revealed another level of group labels and ideological characteristics masked by the principal Greek-Bulgarian dichotomy, such as the Macedonians of Macedonia (who opposed both Greek and Bulgarian activities) and the Vlachs of Hellenism (who rejected Romanian propaganda and considered themselves members of the Hellenic national collectivity). The depiction is significant, for it addresses the active role Hellenized Vlachs played in establishing the hegemony of the notion (and the policing) of a modern Greek state in Macedonia. As for the "Macedonians", Dragoumis maintained that their language is closer to a mix of Greek and Slavic than to Bulgarian.
    Paul Argyriades (1896) acknowledges the Macedonians

...They want to remain Macedonians without any other epithet, guarding for themselves their beautiful Macedonia... Paul Argyriades (1896): Present day Macedonia is one of the European provinces of the Turkish Empire. It borders on the south with Epirus, Thessaly and the Mediterranean, on the east with Thrace and the

“...They want to remain Macedonians without any other epithet, guarding for themselves their beautiful Macedonia...”

Macedonian Language recognizes in Spiro Mela's book

Greek documents confirm Macedonians exist

YouTube - Greek documents confirm Macedonian ethnic identity (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHWw9jfQDJw) :ostrich
  • Soldier of Macedon
    • Sep 2008

Thanks Pelister, nice compilation and reference point, it is always good to consolidate sources relative to a specific topic in one thread.

You can add the Pavlos Melas letters to his wife from 1904, where he clearly makes reference to the Macedonian language spoken by Kote Hristov and others in Macedonia. Melas makes a clear distinction between the Macedonian language and the Greek language.

Pavlos Melas was not a Macedonian or from Macedonia, and fought for the Greek cause to usurp Macedonia into the Greek state. During his time in Macedonia he spent several months with local Macedonians that had sided or remained with the Patriarchate against the Exarchate, one of these being Konstantin 'Kote' Hristov. Despite

.........Pirzas translated emotionally, loudly, and with a lot of passion, as Kota spoke Macedonian..............

.........I learned Macedonian words that I say to women and mothers, which pleases them........
    In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.

Comment

• Risto the Great
      • Sep 2008

.........I learned Macedonian words that I say to women and mothers, which pleases them........
      Well it would not be bloody Bulgarian, Greek or Serbian words that would have pleased them would it! The answers are staring our enemies in the face and they pay hundreds of millions to blind others and themselves. The end of this charade is near.
      Risto the Great
      MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
      "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
        • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Risto the Great
        Well it would not be bloody Bulgarian, Greek or Serbian words that would have pleased them would it!
        Certainly not!

Even the Macedonian children who attended schools organised by the Patriarchate were so 'poor' at learning the Greek language that Melas was compelled to write the following reflections to his wife after watching the students of a particular school sing a song at the request of their teacher;

We could not tell if the language they sang in was Macedonian or Greek. All the children of the school could read and write (Greek), but none, well almost none, could speak it..........
        Now, clearly Melas would know if somebody was speaking Greek, and he makes no effort to hide the fact that his understanding of Macedonian is limited to only a few words he has learned to 'break the ice' with the locals. So when he says that he wasn't sure if it was sang in Macedonian or Greek, it indicates that they were either singing in Macedonian, or in a very poor rendition of Greek that is virtually impossible to comprehend, for, as he himself admits, almost none of the children could speak Greek, let alone sing in it!
        In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.

Comment

• Pelister
          • Sep 2008

Thanks SoM.

Clearly, Melas acknowledges and recognizes the Macedonian language as being separate from Greek.

His observations are a very valuable contemporary sources, and I wish that there were more like it.

I am certain I have missed some threads which belong here. When I get more time I will go back and find the rest.

Comment

• Pelister
            • Sep 2008

Greece acknowledging the Macedonian language in 1915

I'm certain that this has been posted on Maktruth before but I couldn't find it so I thought I would bring it back to life.

Gaber, Viktor., Recognition and Denail: Greece and the Macedonians after Versailles, Sydney, 2008, p.74

The document dated from 1915 shows the terms from a Loan Contract produced in Lerin on 5 March 1915, in front of official Greek and public witnesses.

The document reads:

In front of me, the Notary Public Vasillious P. Kuvella, as well as in front of two witnesses - merchants Teodoros Karamatsis and Hristo Danail, today came and legitimated themselves two other citizens. Stavro Stojceff - peasant, citizen of Ospirina, close to Lerin, and Alim Jonouz also peasant, citizen of Lerin. Both of them do not know Greek. The first speaks Macedonian and the second - Turkish. That is why we call the translator, Naum Griva who swears in the Holy Bible to do the translation from Macedonian and Turkish into Greek and vice versa.
            The documented cited by V.Gaber comes from the book "Makedonskite Begaltsi vo Polska 1948-1975" by Petre Nakovski, Skopje, 2008

Comment

Working...
            X