X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TrueMacedonian
    • Jan 2009

Journalist spreading dis-information about Macedonians

Like Aleksandar, other businesspeople in Gevgelija said they were growing weary of the name rift and want a quick resolution.

Zhana – she along with Aleksandar and others spoke on condition that their full names not be used – stocks her clothing store with goods bought in Greece and occasionally has Greek customers. The tensions with Macedonia’s Hellenic neighbor hurt commerce, she said, as well as Macedonians’ chances to seek more opportunities in Greece because of current visa restrictions on travel to EU countries.

“I’m not sure the government is doing enough [to compromise],” she said while sitting with two friends at a small cafe in the town’s market square. Referring to plans to build the 7-million-euro Alexander statue in central Skopje, she said, “It’s a stupid waste of money. Let them use the money to create jobs. We have many economic issues to address before we build statues.”

She also fears the dispute will hurt Macedonia’s opportunity to join the EU. Support for EU membership is high, especially among businesspeople and the youth. A Eurobarometer poll released in mid-September showed that 64 percent of those surveyed supported joining the EU, while 74 percent expected their country to benefit from membership. The optimism is also reflected through the nearly ubiquitous display of the blue European flag and its circle of gold stars on public buildings and businesses in this nation of 2 million.
    Notice the paragraph in bold text. This article is mis-leading and becomes an agent for dis-information to the non-Macedonian and Macedonian alike. Mid-September is when they had a poll released on the citizens wanting to join the EU. However let's look at an older post- http://www.macedoniantruth.org/forum...ead.php?t=1653 - and what's in here;

Gallup Poll: Macedonians will not change name for EU membership

95 percent of Macedonians would not change the name of the country in order for Macedonia to become a member of the EU, showed the latest opinion poll conducted by Gallup Balkan Monitor, presented in Brussels.

According to the survey, there are huge differences in readiness to sacrifice the name of the country among ethnic Albanians and ethnic Macedonians.
    So this "Journalist" gets a few people benefitting from grk money and makes it look like all of Macedonia wants a name change. Timothy Spence put a real spin on things here. Yet let the truth be known. 95% of Macedonians would NOT change the countries name for EU membership. We need to spread the word and annihilate all dis-information like this.
    Slayer Of The Modern "greek" Myth!!!
  • Risto the Great
    • Sep 2008

Yes, you are correct TM. The 95% statistic makes everything look completely different and clearly puts forward the position of Macedonians. Any statistic mentioned which ignores the fundamental will of the Macedonians about the name change makes "misinformation".
    Risto the Great
    MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
    "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
      • Sep 2008

95% of Macedonians would NOT change the country's name for EU membership.
      In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.

Comment

• Bij
        • Oct 2009

to be fair to the journalist, they are two different poll stats you are looking at

unfortunately, it's not like they poll the whole of macedonia when they want this kind of info. stats can be skewed very easily depending on what demographic is asked

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
          • Sep 2008

In addition to that fairness, let us point out that the two poll stats actually compliment each other in a way, for, according to poll 1:
          A Eurobarometer poll released in mid-September showed that 64 percent of those surveyed supported joining the EU, while 74 percent expected their country to benefit from membership.
          No problem, over half of the Macedonian population would like to see Macedonia in the EU, BUT, according to poll 2:
          95% of Macedonians would NOT change the country's name for EU membership.
          Two different questions. In the end, nearly all Macedonians refuse to change the name of their country for EU entry. That's what counts.
          In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.

Comment

• The LION will ROAR
            • Jan 2009

This guy I think is not evening Pure Macedonian and is defending his country,
            We need more Macedonian minorities like him..He is giving it to those paid A1 Propagandist journalist..
            Well said...Za chotek za vas

The Macedonians originates it, the Bulgarians imitate it and the Greeks exploit it!

Comment

• indigen
              • May 2009

SOROS and CIA Front

About Us

Transitions o.s.

Transitions (TOL) is a non-profit organization established to strengthen the professionalism, independence and impact of the news media in the post-communist countries of Europe and the former Soviet Union. We do this through a combination of journalism and media training programs, and the publication of Transitions Online magazine.

Journalism & Media Training

Training journalists and other media professionals in post-communist Europe and Central Asia has always been a key part of TOL’s mission.

We run a variety of programs – residential, distance learning, seminars, internships and coaching – with two main aims: to offer practical journalism training, and to help participants either improve existing media outlets or set up new ones. Click here for more information.

Transitions Online Magazine

Transitions Online (www.tol.org) is an Internet magazine that covers political, social, cultural, and economic issues in the former communist countries of Europe and Central Asia. The magazine has a strong network of local contributors, who provide valuable insight into events in the region’s 29 countries.

History

TOL was established in April 1999, the month after the publication of the final issue of its print predecessor, Transitions magazine. (The print magazine was first published in 1994 by the Open Media Research Institute, a joint venture between Radio Free Europe and the Open Society Institute.) Four of the former print magazine’s staff members established Transitions Online as a means of keeping the widely respected, cross-border coverage of the magazine alive.

Funding

Our training activities would not be possible without the support of our donors, but we also have a growing stream of “self-generated” income.

Training activities tend to be funded by grants, which account for some 75 percent of TOL’s income. However, the Transitions Online magazine is increasingly funded by income from membership subscriptions, advertising sponsorship and syndication. This “self-generated” income accounts for 25 percent of the organization’s revenue, and helps to maintain the editorial independence of the magazine.

----------------

What does one expect from a SOROS and CIA Front organisation?
              Myself, I expect hidden (or not so hidden) agendas of USA imperialism by all possible means and disinformation is just one example.

Why does not the US Macedonian community become "proactive" and stop/end US pressure on Macedonia aimed at forcing Macedonian capitulation and committing of final national suicide? Where is the "great and strong Macedonian Lobby" of USA - UMDovina.org to show some results?

One should not throw stones if they live in a glass house!

This is a message for UMDovci and their foot soldiers who have been taking pot shots at Australian Macedonians whenever they apply some heat on the "chosen one" and his many flip-flops and anti-Macedonian positions in public statements and media releases.

Comment

• osiris
                • Sep 2008

great post indigen you are right american macedonians had better wake up quickly to the type of slavish support for us policies towards macedonia by some us macedonian organizations like the umd who claim to represent them

Comment

• Mastika
                  • Feb 2010

I think that Risto you may have taken the polls out of context. It is still possible to want Macedonia to enter the EU, but not want her to change her name in order to gain entry. I would hardly call it "disinformation", the articles are looking at different aspects of the issue here.

However this poll does seem to align with the statement that "Gallup also surveyed Macedonian nationalists and established that only 57 percent approve of membership in the EU with the constitutional name", (which is just under the sentence that you quoted) by suggesting a figure of 64% approval for Macedonia in the EU. The discrepancy is probably due to a shift in the sample used.
                  Last edited by Mastika; 05-20-2010, 09:07 AM. Reason: correcting the user name.

Comment

• osiris
                    • Sep 2008

read it agian mastika its subtle but its disinformation and anti macedonian name propaganda, its like a rambo film full of shit

Comment

• Mastika
                      • Feb 2010

Originally posted by osiris View Post
                      read it agian mastika its subtle but its disinformation and anti macedonian name propaganda, its like a rambo film full of shit
                      I agree that quoting people who directly oppose government initiatives (the statues) and by speaking to people sick of politics (the name dispute) is does create a negative mood, biased opinion and bad depiction of the Macedonian state. However the statistics used appear to be legitimate results, however I did notice that it was RtG who brought up the issues regarding the statistics, so I will re-direct my last post at him not TM.

Comment

• Risto the Great
                        • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Mastika View Post
                        I think that Risto you may have taken the polls out of context. It is still possible to want Macedonia to enter the EU, but not want her to change her name in order to gain entry. I would hardly call it "disinformation", the articles are looking at different aspects of the issue here.

However this poll does seem to align with the statement that "Gallup also surveyed Macedonian nationalists and established that only 57 percent approve of membership in the EU with the constitutional name", (which is just under the sentence that you quoted) by suggesting a figure of 64% approval for Macedonia in the EU. The discrepancy is probably due to a shift in the sample used.
                        Hi Mastika, in relation to the Gallup poll, it does not refer to Macedonian "nationalists". Merely Macedonians. I am not sure why you used the additional descriptor.

I did not take them out of context. If you apply 95% against the percentage of ethnic Macedonians, you will arrive at numbers in the 60 - 70 percentile range when looking at the entire population. But that is not the issue, the issue was the perception that the majority of Macedonian nationals are pro EU and pro compromise.

Picking a couple of nice Macedonian names like Zhana and Aleksandar to whinge about the Macedonian government not doing enough to compromise ... well ... if you can't see it, there is no point laboring the discussion.

Why the journalist chose to ignore the already determined 95% will of the Macedonians is of concern. It is journalism with an agenda, nothing more.

I disagree with Osiris (da me prostish), it is NOT subtle at all.
                        Risto the Great

Comment

• Mastika
                          • Feb 2010

Originally posted by Risto the Great View Post
                          Hi Mastika, in relation to the Gallup poll, it does not refer to Macedonian "nationalists". Merely Macedonians. I am not sure why you used the additional descriptor.

I did not take them out of context. If you apply 95% against the percentage of ethnic Macedonians, you will arrive at numbers in the 60 - 70 percentile range when looking at the entire population. But that is not the issue, the issue was the perception that the majority of Macedonian nationals are pro EU and pro compromise.

Picking a couple of nice Macedonian names like Zhana and Aleksandar to whinge about the Macedonian government not doing enough to compromise ... well ... if you can't see it, there is no point laboring the discussion.

Why the journalist chose to ignore the already determined 95% will of the Macedonians is of concern. It is journalism with an agenda, nothing more.
                          As for the nationalists, I merely copied the exact text from the provided link. I too was a bit surprised that it reffered to nationalists, I am not aware of a poll which judges whether or not you are a nationalist and then comments on it.

As for the rest, I agree with what you are saying about it creating a negative light for Macedonia, as I wrote above, however I personally wouldn't go so far as to call it misinformation. It is just a difference of opinion, thank you for replying in a respectful way.

Comment

• Risto the Great
                            • Sep 2008

Contrary to my instinctual sense of bravado, I am always respectful.

Here is the Gallup article:

95 percent of Macedonians would not change the name of the country in order for Macedonia to become a member of the EU, showed the latest opinion poll conducted by Gallup Balkan Monitor, presented in Brussels.

According to the survey, there are huge differences in readiness to sacrifice the name of the country among ethnic Albanians and ethnic Macedonians.

67 percent of ethnic Albanians would agree to the change because they find the EU accession a greater priority. Gallup also surveyed Macedonian nationals and established that only 57 percent approve of membership in the EU with the constitutional name.
                            "Nationals" is very different from "Nationalists".
                            Do you agree that you might have misunderstood the sentiment of this article?
                            Risto the Great

Comment

• Buktop
                              • Oct 2009

Originally posted by indigen View Post

Why does not the US Macedonian community become "proactive" and stop/end US pressure on Macedonia aimed at forcing Macedonian capitulation and committing of final national suicide? Where is the "great and strong Macedonian Lobby" of USA - UMDovina.org to show some results?

One should not throw stones if they live in a glass house!

This is a message for UMDovci and their foot soldiers who have been taking pot shots at Australian Macedonians whenever they apply some heat on the "chosen one" and his many flip-flops and anti-Macedonian positions in public statements and media releases.
                              We are proactive, you just fail to see it because you ignore the evidence and see what you want to see. I could site evidence for you if you'd like, but seeing as it relates to the activities of UMD you probably won't even care.

Originally posted by Osiris
                              great post indigen you are right american macedonians had better wake up quickly to the type of slavish support for us policies towards macedonia by some us macedonian organizations like the umd who claim to represent them
                              Osiris, I am surprised that you would say something like this. You know for a fact that US Macedonians do not slavishly support any anti-Macedonian policies. This is a very inaccurate generalization.

Would it be accurate for me to say that because Australia doesn't recognize Macedonia that Australian Maco's are slavishly supporting Aussie policy? No. There are initiatives and government lobbying here in the US that you guys don't even know about, just like I am sure there are initiatives in Australia that we don't know about.

I specifically know of several initiatives raised by the UMD to contact members of Congress and have a bill that would have reversed the name recognition blocked.
                              "I'm happy to answer any question and I don't hide from that"

Never once say you walk upon your final way
                              though skies of steel obscure the blue of day.
                              Our long awaited hour will draw near
                              and our footsteps will thunder - We are Here!

Comment

Working...
                              X