X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Onur
    • Apr 2010

PM of Greek Cyprus; "Greece invaded Cyprus in 1974"

Greek Cypriots are slowly coming to a sense after 37 years. Finally, someone in charge of Greek only Cyprus starts to admit what really happened in the island 37 years ago.

Looks like Greek Cypriot president Demetris Christofias said that Greek junta invaded Cyprus in 1974 and this leaded to the intervention of Turkey. He calls both of these events as invasions.

Quotes from Greek Cypriot media;

Christofias returns to a firestorm over ‘invasions’ comment

PRESIDENT Demetris Christofias brushed off the media when he returned to the island last night amid a firestorm over comments he made in the US that appeared to equate the 1974 Athens-instigated coup to the Turkish invasion five days later.

Following a successful tour in the US where he addressed the UN General Assembly, met Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon and several world leaders, and inaugurated the Cyprus exhibition at the Smithsonian museum in Washington, Christofias declined to make any comment, particularly relating to his statement which had left all of the political parties other than AKEL furious yesterday.

It was a comment the president made during an address to the prestigious Brookings Institution that caused opposition parties to slam him yesterday for “insulting” Greeks and Greek Cypriots.

Some called on him to apologise for trying to justify the Turkish invasion using Ankara’s own arguments. The Palace also came under fire because the comment had been ignored by state-run media outlets reporting on his Brookings speech.

During his talk on the Cyprus problem at the Washington DC-based think tank, Christofias said Cypriots should take their bitter past into account and draw lessons from it. “But we have to look forward. We have to solve the problem,” he said.

The president said there was no alternative other than peaceful negotiations between the two communities “and of course the involvement, at the end of the day, of the three guarantor powers (Greece, Turkey, UK) which all played a negative role unfortunately towards the developments in Cyprus.”

“The two so-called main lands, in fact, invaded, both [of them],” the transcript of his comments reads.

Christofias added that fortunately for the people of Greece, the criminal action of the junta (ruling Greece at the time) led to its downfall and “the restoration of democracy in the country in which democracy was born. But Cyprus paid a very high price for this restoration of democracy."

The ‘invasion’ comment however sparked outrage among the opposition parties.

Main opposition DISY said Christofias had provoked the feelings of Greeks and Greek Cypriots and insulted the Greeks who died defending Cyprus.

“What we heard yesterday (Tuesday) leaves us speechless,” DISY spokesman Haris Georgiades said. “We heard the president of the Republic of Cyprus adopt the Turkish arguments of 1974, equating Greece with the invader and occupier of Cyprus.”

Georgiades urged the president to apologise and withdraw his unfortunate comment .

He also accused the state-controlled media – the Cyprus News Agency (CNA) and broadcaster CyBC of a news blackout on the comment.

“In a four-page (CNA) report of the president’s speech there was no mention of this unfortunate and historically inaccurate statement,’ he said.

Asked if maybe it was just the judgment of the reporter, Georgiades said it was an “amazing assessment.”

“This comment, which has upset the Cypriot people from the moment it was reported, apparently went unnoticed by some at CNA and CyBC news bulletins. Strange,” Georgiades said.

Government partners DIKO said the president’s comment was “unfortunate and wrong.”

“It is wrong to equate Greece with Turkey in the responsibility for the Cypriot tragedy,” spokesman Fotis Fotiou said. “No one disputes that the treacherous coup by the Athens junta on July 15 and the Turkish invasion on July 20, 1974 constitute two acts of the same crime against Cyprus and it is now historically and politically substantiated.”

EDEK said the comment was a “tragic blunder”. “We are truly sorry, because President Christofias once more voices comments which falsify the historic truth … creating wrong and misleading impressions,” EDEK spokesman Demetris Papadakis said.

September 30, 2010

http://www.cyprus-mail.com/christofi...mment/20100930

It looks like the president`s comments caused usual Greek reactions since thats what they always do when someone speaks the truth.

There are some facts in PM Christofias`s comments which needs to be checked tough;

Christofias added that fortunately for the people of Greece, the criminal action of the junta (ruling Greece at the time) led to its downfall and “the restoration of democracy in the country in which democracy was born. But Cyprus paid a very high price for this restoration of democracy."
    There is a missing truth in his words. Democracy didn't return to the Cyprus and Greece all by itself magically or because of Greek people. It was the Turkey`s intervention which caused Greek junta`s downfall. Firstly, we forced Greek fascists to leave Cyprus in 36h hours, so peace and democracy returned to the Cyprus. Then Turkish authorities forced USA to pull back their support from fascist junta in Greece otherwise we told them that Turkish soldiers will go to Athens to overthrow Junta leaders in the Greek parliament. In the end, it was the CIA who bring fascist junta to the leadership in Greece and it was the CIA again who let them fall but this happened because of Turkey otherwise US wasn't that fancy to end the leadership of their puppets in Greece during the cold war.

Maybe this can sound absurd to you right now but i always said that it was Turkey who bring back democracy to the Cyprus and Greece in 1974, after 7 years of fascist junta regime. I believe Greece should thank us for that instead of cursing us but ofc this is out of reality atm since Greeks usually cant handle with facing the truth. Greece got so much dirt under their carpet anymore. I hope they can reach enough maturity to face with the bitter truth in the future.

Former US president Bill Clinton already apologized from Greece for their support of Greek junta regime;
    Clinton Says U.S. Regrets Aid to Junta in Cold War

November 21, 1999

http://articles.latimes.com/1999/nov/21/news/mn-35991

Actually Greek and Turkish Cypriots deserves this apology, much more than the mainland Greeks, because it was them who suffered most from the fascist junta.
    Last edited by Onur; 10-04-2010, 08:35 AM.
  • George S.
    • Aug 2009

Well the cat is out of the bag.From comments i got from cypriot neighbours they aren't too happy what mainland greece has done.The Greek cypriots said they could've settled it for themselves without the bs that has happened.They actually think that the mainland should butt out.Also there words not mine the greek nation is not a democracy, they have really been a totaliarian state with itheir juntas.My cypriot neighbours say they are aware of what greece had done to the macedonians & the say it's a terrible thing.
    "Ido not want an uprising of people that would leave me at the first failure, I want revolution with citizens able to bear all the temptations to a prolonged struggle, what, because of the fierce political conditions, will be our guide or cattle to the slaughterhouse"
    GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• Makedonetz
      • Apr 2010

[FONT="Palatino Linotype"]Onur i see now the Cyprus PM will be looking for new work once it trickles up to Athens. I wonder if he will take exile in the northern part of Cyprus [/FON[T]
      Makedoncite se borat
      za svoite pravdini!

"The one who works for joining of Macedonia to Bulgaria,Greece or Serbia can consider himself as a good Bulgarian, Greek or Serb, but not a good Macedonian"
      - Goce Delchev

Comment

• Onur
        • Apr 2010

George S., I believe the problem with the ordinary Greek people are that there are so many of them filled with hate and false propaganda through their education system. So, it`s so easy to convince them to support ridicules things. Maybe they can regret what has been done before but nevertheless, i would never be surprised if they do it again.

For example, even today, i am sure that you can find 100.000s of supporters in Greece or Greek Cyprus if you talk about invading whole Macedonia, Enosis with Cyprus, killing all the Turks in western Thrace or getting back Istanbul to create 2nd Byzantine Empire etc.

Yes, they are that delusional and they can easily be blinded by that and this will never change unless they change their education system.
        Last edited by Onur; 10-04-2010, 09:00 AM.

Comment

• johnMKD
          • Apr 2010

Originally posted by Onur View Post
          George S., I believe the problem with the ordinary Greek people are that there are so many of them filled with hate and false propaganda through their education system. So, it`s so easy to convince them to support ridicules things. Maybe they can regret what has been done before but nevertheless, i would never be surprised if they do it again.

For example, even today, i am sure that you can find 100.000s of supporters in Greece or Greek Cyprus if you talk about invading whole Macedonia, Enosis with Cyprus, killing all the Turks in western Thrace or getting back Istanbul to create 2nd Byzantine Empire etc.

Yes, they are that delusional and they can easily be blinded by that and this will never change unless they change their education system.
          I cannot deny that these morrons do exist in Greece, maybe not in the numbers you presented. I just wish they don't also exist on the other side of the Aegean.

Educational system is changing in Greece. History books are being re-written in an attempt to reduce extremism. They still have a looong way to go, but at least it is a start for the sake of everybody else in the neighbourhood.
          Macedonian and proud!

Comment

• Onur
            • Apr 2010

Originally posted by johnMKD View Post
            I cannot deny that these morrons do exist in Greece, maybe not in the numbers you presented. I just wish they don't also exist on the other side of the Aegean.

Educational system is changing in Greece. History books are being re-written in an attempt to reduce extremism. They still have a looong way to go, but at least it is a start for the sake of everybody else in the neighbourhood.

I hope what you said is the truth, so their numbers are less than i thought in Greece.

I gotta say that there is no such a thing as anti-Greek stance in Turkey for a loooong time. Turkish people overcame this decades ago. Yes, you can still find some people who speaks bad about Greeks but never in some kind of action. So, you cannot hear any army officer chanting bad things about Greeks or you cannot find anyone trying to damage any ancient Greek monuments. Also, you cannot find even one anti-Greek sentence in our history books for schools.

Besides that, i am passing by Haris Alexiou street everyday when i go to the university here.
            Last edited by Onur; 10-05-2010, 12:24 PM.

Comment

• Giorikas
              • Sep 2008

I hope what you said is the truth, so their numbers are less than i thought in Greece.

I gotta say that there is no such a thing as anti-Greek stance in Turkey for a loooong time. Turkish people overcame this decades ago. Yes, you can still find some people who speaks bad about Greeks but never in some kind of action. So, you cannot hear any army officer chanting bad things about Greeks or you cannot find anyone trying to damage any ancient Greek monuments. Also, you cannot find even one anti-Greek sentence in our history books for schools.

Besides that, i am passing by Haris Alexiou street everyday when i go to the university here.
              For once I can agree with Onur. I am regularly in Turkey and Turks are very friendly to Greeks. I have seen that on many occasions. Even friendlier to Greeks than other foreigners.

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
                • Sep 2008

Wow, a moment of sanity, ive seen it before on you, and ive seen how quick it disappears.
                In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.

Comment

• Onur
                  • Apr 2010

Originally posted by Giorikas View Post
                  For once I can agree with Onur. I am regularly in Turkey and Turks are very friendly to Greeks. I have seen that on many occasions. Even friendlier to Greeks than other foreigners.

For once??? make sure it doesn't happen twice otherwise you might loose some part of "Greekness" in you, right? god forbid, we wouldn't want that!!!

Like i said, we already overcame anti-Greek thoughts despite the fact that it was Greeks who caused us suffer more than any other people 100 years ago. So, it`s obvious that we would be more friendly to Greeks or to any other Balkan people rather than western Europeans cuz it`s human nature to be more friendly towards relatively similar people to himself if he doesn't have any prejudice.

This is the situation in Turkey but it`s a bit different in Cyprus cuz even last month, new mass grave discovered inside old water well at southern Cyprus with more than 10 murdered Turkish Cypriot`s remains.
                  Last edited by Onur; 10-09-2010, 12:02 PM.

Comment

• Giorikas
                    • Sep 2008

For once??? make sure it doesn't happen twice otherwise you might loose some part of "Greekness" in you, right? god forbid, we wouldn't want that!!!

Like i said, we already overcame anti-Greek thoughts despite the fact that it was Greeks who caused us suffer more than any other people 100 years ago. So, it`s obvious that we would be more friendly to Greeks or to any other Balkan people rather than western Europeans cuz it`s human nature to be more friendly towards relatively similar people to himself if he doesn't have any prejudice.

This is the situation in Turkey but it`s a bit different in Cyprus cuz even last month, new mass grave discovered inside old water well at southern Cyprus with more than 10 murdered Turkish Cypriot`s remains.
                    There we go again: Cyprus

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
                      • Sep 2008

That lasted long, lol. I do believe the thread is in relation to Cyprus.
                      In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.

Comment

• Onur
                        • Apr 2010

We heard another confession from Greek Cyprus this week. This time it`s from the archbishop of Cyprus. Yes, he is xenophobic, racist and full of hate as most of the Greek clergymen but at least he is more honest than their politicians.

He said that Greek Cypriot government duped the European Union into accepting the island into its ranks on the false promise of solving the political problem of Cyprus. He also criticizes Greek Cypriot politicians for current ongoing last ever unification negotiations with Turkish side and telling them that hellenizm is in grave danger in Cyprus!!!;

From Greek Cypriot media;

ARCHBISHOP Chrysostomos has once again got into the politicians’ crosshairs after remarking that Cyprus “duped” the European Union into accepting the island into its ranks and by suggesting that politicos are to blame for the island’s continued division.

In a televised interview with Greece’s SKAI channel, the Prelate predicted that ongoing peace talks would lead nowhere, he dismissed the current model of the negotiations as an “Annan-type plan” that would be rejected by the vast majority of Greek Cypriots, and said Cyprus had got into the EU on the false promise of solving the political problem.

It also came on the 7th anniversary of the island’s accession to the bloc. It was also similar to a comment made by Gunther Verheugen, the EU Enlargement Commissioner in 2004 immediately after Greek Cypriots rejected the Annan plan and were gear up for EU membership only days later.

Responding to a question by the SKAI interviewer on Sunday, Chrysostomos said: “Let me be frank. We duped the Europeans and that is why they got us inside [the EU]. It was not Tassos Papadopoulos who tricked them…others had promised the EU that we would solve the Cyprus problem [after accession].

He added: “It was President [Glafcos] Clerides who promised to push through the Annan Plan. But then he lost the elections, and when Tassos Papadopoulos came to power he said ‘No go’. In any case, the Annan Plan would have led to the dissolution of the Republic.”

And in a bid to pre-empt accusations that was stepping out of his bounds, Chrysostomos said:

“During the course of two thousand years, with the Church at the helm, this land remained Greek and Christian. Within fifty years since you politicians took over, you have left us with half the island. So sit tight and listen to the Church, which has a two thousand-year experience, understand this. We do not claim the title of Ethnarch [national leader]. I do not need it.”

The Archbishop’s remarks could only cause harm to the Greek Cypriots’ cause, the government spokesman said later in the day.

In particular, said Stefanos Stefanou, the comment that Greek Cypriots duped the EU would play into the hands of Turkey, which “daily argues that Cyprus should not have been allowed to join the bloc while the Cyprus problem remained unsolved.”

On the remark regarding the role of the politicians, Stefanou said: “So the responsibility for the Cypriot tragedy does not lie with the junta in Athens and EOKA B? Does it not lie with Turkey who invaded in 1974?

“And if responsibility for the island’s division rests with the politicians, does that include Makarios who…signed the Zurich-London agreements and for 17 years was President of the Republic?”

Far from uniting the people, such remarks by the Archbishop were divisive, Stefanou concluded.

Similar denunciations came from most of the political parties. DISY’s Christos Pourgourides was particularly scathing in his critique of the Archbishop:

“His reference to us duping the Europeans was a big foul,” Pourgourides said. “It could cause irreparable damage to our cause. With these comments, the Archbishop may have burnt the only card we have left, our reliance on the EU, since from now on they will think of us as having tricked them.”

He added: “Let the Church and the Archbishop stick to spiritual affairs and guide the flock to a better path. Once he has accomplished that, then we may begin to consider that he is qualified to contribute to the political game.”

Though more lenient on the Archbishop, DIKO’s Nicholas Papadopoulos said he disagreed with the analysis that Cyprus joined the EU because it deceived the Europeans.

“The reason we got in the EU was because the Greek parliament at the time decided that if Cyprus did not join, then neither would any other former Soviet Republic,” said Papadopoulos

May 3, 2011

http://www.cyprus-mail.com/church/po...ments/20110503

I don't believe the inclusion of Cyprus to the EU was just a one-sided flock and a result of a trick played by Greek Cypriots. All EU leaders already knew the plan and they played the game of negotiations with Turkey and Turkish Cypriots for few years. Greece threatened to block the accession of all the formerly communist eastern European states if Cyprus doesn't get accepted in to the EU but after convincing Turkey and Turkish Cypriots to vote "YES" for the Annan plan (which happend that way, Turkish Cypriots voted "YES" with 74%), EU officials immediately declared that Cyprus can be a member of EU regardless of the referendum result for Annan plan.

We cant know for sure (unless the archbishop decides to give more details about that at his next speech!) but Greeks and EU leaders probably thought that this can supposedly put Turkey under pressure and we let them hellenize the island. Ofc they were wrong again and this stupid plan didn't work at all since Turkey will never sell out Cyprus to the Greeks just for being a member of EU.

“During the course of two thousand years, with the Church at the helm, this land remained Greek and Christian.
                        Ofc thats a blatant lie. Cyprus was belonged to the Ottoman empire for 400+ years `till 1914 and b4 the Ottoman conquest, Cyprus was a base for catholics&Knights of Templar for 300+ years. When they took the island during the first crusade, they kicked out eastern Roman orthodox church and massacred the Greek speaking people in there. So, there was no Orthodoxy in there while Cyprus was a base for Vatican`s ultimate aim to burn all orthodoxy heretics on a stake!

Only after the Turkish conquest of Cyprus, Orthodoxy returned to the island and Catholics&their missioners gone. Already, the Istanbul patriarch personally joined the Turkish campaigns to the Cyprus and to the rest of Aegean islands and he personally blessed the Ottoman soldiers against catholics who were controlling all the Aegean islands at that time.

On the remark regarding the role of the politicians, Stefanou said: “So the responsibility for the Cypriot tragedy does not lie with the junta in Athens and EOKA B? Does it not lie with Turkey who invaded in 1974? And if responsibility for the island’s division rests with the politicians, does that include Makarios who signed the Zurich-London agreements and for 17 years was President of the Republic?”
                        This comment is quite funny because this Greek Cypriot politician blames the Greek Cypriot church who signed the Zurich-London agreements. Probably you don't know what was this agreement, so I`ll explain;
                        In 1959, England left the control of the island to the Greek and Turkish Cypriots and united Cyprus government has been formed in 1960 with Greek PM and vice president being a Turkish Cypriot. England, Greece, Turkey and Cyprus signed an agreement in Zurich-London, which says that;
                        • "If either Greece or Turkey ever tries to invade and take control of the whole island, the other part has a right to intervene to prevent this"
                        • Cyprus cannot be a member of any international organization without the participation and approval of both Greece and Turkey.

First article here gives full legitimacy to the Turkish intervention of 1974 after Greek junta army invaded Cyprus and the second article makes Greek Cyprus`s one-sided EU membership as null and invalid because neither Turkey nor Turkish Cypriots approved it.

But ofc, this Zurich-London agreement which signed in 1959 has been ignored by whole world including EU leaders and as you know, Greeks blames us for 1974 and EU accepted them as a member. Funny enough, Greek politician here blames archbishop for signing this treaty even tough it`s getting totally ignored by whole world except Turkey.

For more info;

Btw, don't underestimate the archbishop of Cyprus. I`ve read that according to the polls, Cypriot church and the archbishop is the most trusted man in southern Cyprus, leading the poll with 70%+ but Greek Cypriot parliament`s trust value is around 20%. So, Greek Cypriots probably prefers that this racist archbishop take the lead in the island again, just as in between 1960-1974.

Here is Makarios on left side with his full black clothing and giant beard on his face, the archbishop and PM of united Cyprus between 1960 to 1974. The guy on the right side is Turkish Cypriot vice president of him. British PM at the middle of them.

I believe that we are dealing with backward people with medieval mindset here. I mean look at this picture, it would be disgusting for me to accept this freak with giant beard as a PM of a state. I am sure it was that so for all the Turkish Cypriots too but Greeks wants it that way, even today
                        Last edited by Onur; 05-04-2011, 05:29 PM.

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
                          • Sep 2008

Onur - as a Turk, do you find to concept of a unified Cypriot state acceptable? If so, on what conditions, ie; rotational presidency, etc. If not, please explain why. Thanks.

Comment

• Onur
                            • Apr 2010

In my opinion, unified Cyprus is not possible anymore after all the horrible events happened in there.

This has been tried from 1959 to 1974 and failed miserably. There was a parliament with 2/3rd Greeks, 1/3rd Turks. PM was Greek and vice president was Turk. Greeks formed their terrorist organization named EOKA and everything went downhill. When Greek army invaded Cyprus, first thing they did was bombing the parliament of united Cyprus with tanks and rockets. Greek PM and Greek&Turkish parliamentarians saved their lives in the last minute.

Like Greek archbishop says, neither majority of the Greek Cypriot community nor the Greek church doesn't accept any solution except full hellenization of Cyprus. All their actions for the last ~40 years was only for achieving their ultimate goal of Greek only Cyprus where not even single Turk lives.

The thing is, they don't like the current status quo in the island but they wont accept any form of united Cyprus where they would have to share ruling power with Turkish Cypriots. This was evident in 2004 when Turkish Cypriots accepted UN peace plan while Greeks refused with big majority. Thats because they consider any power sharing with Turks as a damage for hellenism like archbishop says. Also, Greeks are currently the only rulers in the island since they hijacked the Cypriot administration after 1974. This is also recognized by the whole world, so why accept any UN plan and share the power with Turks??? This would be going backwards for them.

So, the only solution for Greeks would be full hellenization of Cyprus and since Turks would never let them do that, Cyprus will stay as it was since 1974. This years peace negotiation is the last attempt ever as it has been declared by Turkish side. If it fails, which is likely so, then we will present two option to the whole world, either they recognize Turkish Cypriot state like they did for Kosovo, otherwise northern Cyprus will be a regular province of Turkey and the problem will be completely fixed for eternity then.

Comment

• ennea
                              Banned
                              • Apr 2011

I often see the forum users are frustrated with the Framework Agreement (FA), so I suggest they should read about the London-Zurich Agreements. You’ll find it uplifting and see how good of a deal the FA was.
                              In Cyprus, while Turkish Cypriots were 18% of the population, they were given:
                              • 30% of the Parliament (the principle one person-one vote was neglected)
                              • 30% of the Cabinet
                              • A Vice-President with a veto right (and he was always using it)
                              • 30% of the police
                              • 40% of the army
                              • Cases involving Turkish-Cypriots were trialed by Turkish judges, the ones involving Greek-Cypriots by Greeks and the mixed cases by 2 judges (a Greek and a Turkish)
                              • All big Cities had to be divided in two Parts with a Greek and Turkish-Cypriot Mayor.

So, things are not so bad.
                              By the way, are Kurds in Turkey close to 18%?
                              Last edited by ennea; 05-06-2011, 03:42 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X