X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jankovska
    • Sep 2008

King Philip Macedonian

I've been trying to catch up on my history (been off for a while now) and I remembered just how much I enjoy reading about the success Macedonia had in the time of Philip and Alexander and just reading about how strong the Macedonians were, something we have to present. Even though Aleksander was the most famous king in the world ever I am always facinated about the life and work of Philip.
    Philip was born in times when Macedonia was always under attacks of the Thracians, Greeks, Illyrians (some things never change);.
    King Philip was not just strong, he was a very very smart man.

Philip II was a hostage of the Greeks at Thebes, between 368 and 365 BC. But while in captivity there, he observed the military techniques of then the greatest power in Greece.

When he became king Macedonia was even more troubled. The Greeks, Illyrians and thracians pushing further and further he had to play it smart and he did. Aleksandar became who he was thanks to having one of the biggest diplomats of those time as a father and a strong empire to lead. Philip did all this and he is our true and most famous king.
    Philip was the first king to make military a full time job for the every day Macedonian, a paid job.
    King Philip the Macedonian was the biggest nightmare for the Greeks. He was in their eyes the first 'Barbarian' king.
    The battle of Chaeronea put a stop on Greek power in the region. all the power was now with King Philip and his kingdom. The Greeks became slaves to the Barbarian king.
    I feel King Philip has been overshadowed by his son Aleksandar and not that I do't agree with how great Aleksandar was, I just want to open an thread where we can celebrate Philip, just as great as Aleksandar, a dreamer, a leader and a true Macedonian.
  • Spartan
    • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Jankovska View Post
    King Philip the Macedonian was the biggest nightmare for the Greeks. The Greeks became slaves to the Barbarian king.
    Not all my dear

Comment

• NikodimMKD
      Banned
      • Apr 2009

It was a very interesting battle to see the the Macedonians and Thessalians on one side, while the Athenians and Thebans were on the other side.

Comment

• Risto the Great
        • Sep 2008

Originally posted by NikodimMKD View Post
        It was a very interesting battle to see the the Macedonians and Thessalians on one side, while the Athenians and Thebans were on the other side.
        It was interesting in recent times to see the Americans on the same side as the Kosovars against the Serbians.

What exactly is your point fool?
        Risto the Great
        MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
        "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com

Comment

• Rogi
          • Sep 2008

I completely agree with Jankovska.

In my view, Philip II was by far a greater leader of the Macedonians and did far more for Macedonia than even Alexander.

I look at the time, circumstance and situation of Macedonia before the rise of Philip, as very much the same as Macedonia today. Economically weak, divided on many fronts, disorganised and in a losing mentality, under attack from all sides.

Philip did then, exactly what Macedonia needs now.
          He united the Macedonians, used the gold mines to strengthen the economy, built a professional army and established a strong diplomatic position for Macedonia using strong diplomacy and the geo-strategic position of Macedonia.
          Last edited by Rogi; 08-11-2009, 07:59 PM.

Comment

• Volk
            • Sep 2008

You cannot take anything away from Alexander, if it was not for his achievements, all of Phillips work may have been futile. All it takes is one bad leader to destroy a country.

Phillip and his son go hand in hand, Macedonia could not accomplish what it did without both of them.
            Makedonija vo Srce

Comment

• Risto the Great
              • Sep 2008

Yeah, I think Alexander was the most memorable. But as far as a King of a kingdom goes ... Philip was a more traditional King for his country that people can admire.
              Risto the Great

Comment

• Jankovska
                • Sep 2008

Oh I agree, it's one of the biggest in our history. I mean we did kick some Greek arse if you ask me. King Philip was a dreamer and achiver.
                He was not just the father of Aleksandar, he was so much more. He proved to the Greeeks that the Macedonians are tough and won't be ruled.He gave Aleksandar his vision, the brought Macedonia back up from ashes, he united all Macedonians and create a base for Aleksandar to go further. If Philip was alive I bet he would have done what Aleksandar did. Aleksandar's achievments are grand, but his father's vision and courage is what helped him get to India.

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
                  • Sep 2008

How low some of you racist Greeks go that you even pretend to be Macedonians on a Macedonian forum, quite comical.

The battle of Chaeronea was the event that saw Macedonia, the Macedonians and their Macedonian king conquer Greece and the Greeks, who were led by Athenians and Thebans.

Greece was now wrought up to a high pitch of expectation at the thought of her future, and her peoples and cities all drew together, Euboeans, Achaeans, Corinthians, Megarians, Leucadians and Corcyraeans……………………(Plutarch)
                  ....the Greek side against Phillip and the Macedonians at Chaeronea.......I have already said in my history of Attica that the defeat at Chaeronea was a disaster for all the Greeks................(Pausanias)
                  Learn your facts first before you spew up your garbage, all of ancient Greece was up in hopes at the thought that there could be a united cause mounted against Phillip and the Macedonians. Few ancient Greeks thought of the Macedonians as friends, much less 'brothers'. All of Greece suffered.

This day put an end to the glorious sovereignty and ancient liberty of all Greece.................(Justinus)
                  Macedonia over Greece anyday of the week for Phillip II of Macedon, no two ways about it.
                  In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
                    • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Volk View Post
                    You cannot take anything away from Alexander, if it was not for his achievements, all of Phillips work may have been futile. All it takes is one bad leader to destroy a country.

Phillip and his son go hand in hand, Macedonia could not accomplish what it did without both of them.
                    Without Alexander there is still Phillip, without Phillip there is no Alexander. Anything could have been possible had Phillip lived on, probably not as large but a more secure empire under the Macedonians.
                    In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.

Comment

• NikodimMKD
                      Banned
                      • Apr 2009

Originally posted by Risto the Great View Post
                      It was interesting in recent times to see the Americans on the same side as the Kosovars against the Serbians.

What exactly is your point fool?

Just stating the combatants of that battle. Unless of course you would disagree.

Macedonians
                      Thessalians
                      vs.
                      Thebans
                      Athenians

Comment

• Risto the Great
                        • Sep 2008

I think I remember something about the Thessalians.
                        .... no ... I was incorrect ... I remember nothing about them.

I just remember the winners. Those that utterly subjugated their enemies.
                        Risto the Great

Comment

• NikodimMKD
                          Banned
                          • Apr 2009

Originally posted by Risto the Great View Post
                          I think I remember something about the Thessalians.
                          .... no ... I was incorrect ... I remember nothing about them.

I just remember the winners. Those that utterly subjugated their enemies.
                          Actually the Thessalians who hated the Boetians fought on the side of the Macedonians since their cavalry was infamous in ancient times.

Funny though after the battle Phillip established the League of Corinth.

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
                            • Sep 2008

In the 2nd century AD Plutarch said.....
                            Greece was now wrought up to a high pitch of expectation at the thought of her future, and her peoples and cities all drew together, Euboeans, Achaeans, Corinthians, Megarians, Leucadians and Corcyraeans……………………

In the 21st century AD Nikodim said..........
                            Banana theories mate, you're one programmed and deluded Greek.

I'll take my chances with Plutarch.

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
                              • Sep 2008

Funny though after the battle Phillip established the League of Corinth.
                              Yes, funny that, funny also is the amount of rebellions by the Greeks against the Macedonians at any rumour of the death of their kings, funny also is the amount of Greeks fighting on the Persian side against the Macedonians as opposed to the miniscule amount fighting with the Macedonians, funny also is how the general sentiment of ancient Greece was one of celebration when Phillip and Alexander died whereas today's Asian inhabitants of Greek-occupied Macedonia with an 85 year history in Europe claim Alexander as their ancestor.

You're funny too, more in the sense of a clown though, rather than a comedian.

Comment

Working...
                              X