Was the Macedonian name taboo in Greece prior to the 1980s?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Liberator of Makedonija
    • Apr 2014

Originally posted by Bill77 View Post
    I dont understand your point and persistence.

I expected you to get the drift by now, of the importance everything Macedonian had to become ethnically Greek. Any traces of Macedonian culture, Historical figures, language, etc.... that could not possibly be concocted to be ethnically Greek, its history would have been a contaminant to their devise, therefore, needed to be purified.

Alexander would have been a massive sticking point for these plans, as he was one of the most known (possibly after Jesus Christ) historical figures around the world, and known for being the King Of Macedonia. Nothing could ever be done to totally eliminate this, so next best thing was to embrace him, and artifice that he was Greek. Those historical figures that could not be totally removed or possibly be concocted to be Greek, were to be manipulated into being another ethnicity ie: Delcev beeing Bulgarian (though some Greeks did try making him Greek also)

Hence the formation of this club in Solun "Megalos Alexandros" 1923 the year after Venizelos stated in 1922 Macedonia not only politically but also ethnically Greek as well. What we then have, are these adoptees of this policy migrating to Australia in the 50's and continuing with "Megas Alexandros, Fitzroy United Alexander etc"

Thats my take on it anyway.

Now im looking forward to your next "But Heidelberg Alexander ...."
    post...... Well not really looking fwd to it, but expecting it anyway

I am not trying to prove your points wrong, I am only continuing to add information to the discussion. I assume you've heard the old saying Greeks in Australia used to say that 'there is no Macedonia' or 'Macedonia does not exist' yet they still formed "Macedonian" social clubs. Just don't really understand that, apparently there used to be a big rift between these Grkomani and other Greeks before the policy change in the 1980s.
    I know of two tragic histories in the world- that of Ireland, and that of Macedonia. Both of them have been deprived and tormented.

Comment

Working...
    X