X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • vicsinad
    • May 2011

Anarchy in Macedonia

I wrote a book on Macedonian history between 1878 and 1912. It's called "Anarchy in Macedonia: Life under the Ottomans, 1878-1912" and you can find it on Amazon (book version or kindle). Donating all profits to the Macedonian Church in Detroit. Hope you check it out and find it an interesting and relevant read!

Last edited by vicsinad; 09-08-2016, 07:17 AM.
  • vicsinad
    • May 2011

Thanks for the link. But I believe Sinadin is the root to my name, not Sinad...and in a different language, nevertheless.

Comment

• DraganOfStip
      • Aug 2011

Originally posted by Amphipolis View Post
      This is a short historical analysis of your surname. Try a google translation if you're interested.

http://amorgis.blogspot.gr/2011/12/blog-post_11.html
      And this is related to the topic of this thread because...?
      ”A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims... but accomplices”
      ― George Orwell

Comment

• Risto the Great
        • Sep 2008

This is a short historical analysis of your surname. Try a google translation if you're interested.
        I would have banned you out of complete irrelevance. Why don't you buy his book and talk about that instead?
        Risto the Great
        MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
        "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com

Comment

• Spirit
          • May 2015

Just bought the kindle version

Comment

• Amphipolis
            Banned
            • Aug 2014

Ottoman rule in Macedonia was always unfavorable to the Macedonians -- the Turks were ruthless and oppressive. But the period of the Macedonian national resurgence was extraordinarily burdensome and grueling. These last four decades of Turkish rule in Macedonia can likely be categorized as the bloodiest and most chaotic years of Macedonia’s existence. This book describes those conditions that made Macedonia an inescapable abyss of anarchy, where the only certainty was violence and poverty.

I'm not sure about the poverty part. I remember being curious about the amazing growth of Thessaloniki post-1912. Then I found out that this was just a continuation of a trend that started in 1870s (or earlier). As Ottoman Empire was collapsing and new powers were emerging and growing this seemed like a very promising period. Many aspects of modern civilization were also arriving challenging the backward sides of Ottomans. Schools appeared in every village, newspapers start circulating and (I imagine) there was a lot hope and antagonism. It’s also possible that Macedonia along with Constantinople were the most advanced and progressive parts of the Empire.

Originally posted by vicsinad View Post
            Thanks for the link. But I believe Sinadin is the root to my name, not Sinad...and in a different language, nevertheless.
            Interesting. What is a Sinadin in your language?

You shouldn’t take offence as Synadenos/Synodenos is considered (and sounds) aristocratic in Greece.

Originally posted by Risto the Great View Post
            I would have banned you out of complete irrelevance. Why don't you buy his book and talk about that instead?
            Haven’t you lost your banning privilege? (It’s my survival instinct that is asking).

Now that I think about it, while constantly speaking and reading about politics I have never bought a modern political book. Congratulation to vicsinad. Writing a book makes you immortal.

Comment

• vicsinad
              • May 2011

[QUOTE=Amphipolis;165735]

I'm not sure about the poverty part. I remember being curious about the amazing growth of Thessaloniki post-1912. Then I found out that this was just a continuation of a trend that started in 1870s (or earlier). As Ottoman Empire was collapsing and new powers were emerging and growing this seemed like a very promising period. Many aspects of modern civilization were also arriving challenging the backward sides of Ottomans. Schools appeared in every village, newspapers start circulating and (I imagine) there was a lot hope and antagonism. It’s also possible that Macedonia along with Constantinople were the most advanced and progressive parts of the Empire.[QUOTE]

The entire first chapter is about taxation policies. Sure, there were individuals and towns that were wealthy; however, for most, that wealth was not stable. Most of the Jews of Solun and Bitola (the wealthier inhabitants) had their lives turned upside down after the Balkan Wars. They were specifically targeted because of their wealth and for catering to Turkish authorities.

Macedonia was only progressive (if you want to call it that) as a result of IMRO and partly the Young Turks. Yes, they had much better agricultural land than many parts of the Empire (that's partly why Greece aimed to invade and take over Macedonia), but because of this, the Sultan sent in his unpaid and poorly paid soldiers to raid whatever the Macedonians had whenever they went on patrols. This combined with tax collection kept Macedonia in poverty.

Regardless, the evidence suggests that poverty was essentially certain in Macedonia, whether you had wealth or not. Here is Harold Lake writing:

"For this is the law of Macedonia, that you should not build yourself a secure and costly home which your enemy may at any time destroy or take for himself; you shall not plant great fields or any more than is strictly necessary for yourself lest your enemy come and reap your rich harvest; you shall not make an easy road to your home lest your enemy come down it swiftly to your destruction. It is better and safer to have so poor a house that it is not worth the burning, so small a crop that it is not worth the gathering, so painful a road that it is not worth the traveling."

Now that I think about it, while constantly speaking and reading about politics I have never bought a modern political book. Congratulation to vicsinad. Writing a book makes you immortal.
              A: Not a political book. B: I'm not that naive and my ego is not that large. Only two people in history are arguably immortal: Jesus and Alexander the Macedonian. (Maybe Buddha and Caesar?). Neither of them wrote books.

Comment

• vicsinad
                • May 2011

Originally posted by Spirit View Post
                Just bought the kindle version
                Thanks! Hope you find it worthwhile.

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
                  • Sep 2008

It’s my survival instinct that is asking
                  Right about now your instinct should be telling you to stick to the topic of the thread. It should also be telling you to apply the same rationale in all other threads. Just keep it relevant or move on. You know the drill.
                  Originally posted by vicsinad
                  I wrote a book on Macedonian history between 1878 and 1912. It's called "Anarchy in Macedonia: Life under the Ottomans, 1878-1912" and you can find it on Amazon (book version or kindle). Donating all profits to the Macedonian Church in Detroit. Hope you check it out and find it an interesting and relevant read!
                  Good for you mate, great initiative. Looking forward to reading it.
                  In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.

Comment

• vicsinad
                    • May 2011

Thanks, SOM.

Comment

• Risto the Great
                      • Sep 2008

Haven’t you lost your banning privilege? (It’s my survival instinct that is asking).
                      I never lost it, I gave it up. But feel free to test my potential.
                      Risto the Great

Comment

• Risto the Great
                        • Sep 2008

I read this book some time ago and was trying to find the time to write a meaningful review shortly after completing the book. I apologise to Vic for my delayed thoughts.

This is a wonderful book from someone who is passionate and interested in Macedonian matters. It is extremely well researched and referenced. The topics are highly emotive and the absolute terror, deprivation and abuse the Macedonians suffered at the hands of Ottoman Turks, Greeks, Serbs and Bulgarians is utterly devastating and often infuriating. The suffering of the Macedonians is described in heart breaking detail and the current psyche of Macedonians can most definitely trace itself back to such tormented eras as the period reviewed by the author.

The reader will feel the increasing frustration of the Macedonians serfs which precipitated the creation of a hidden Macedonian state within the debauched and progressively fragmented Ottoman empire.

Quite simply, it is a book that every Macedonian should read, own and remember. Quite importantly, it is a book that highlights how absolute power corrupts absolutely. The suffering of the Macedonians at the hands of the Ottoman Turks, Greeks, Serbs and Bulgarians was unique and in some ways nation defining.

Thank you Vic for sharing your research.
                        Risto the Great

Comment

• vicsinad
                          • May 2011

Risto,

Thanks, that really means a lot, and I appreciate the very positive review. I'm happy you found it informative, and I hope other people do to.

Comment

• vicsinad
                            • May 2011

Here is a complimentary book I wrote, that in a way parallel's "Anarchy in Macedonia" but also serves as a reaction to its themes. It's a general history of the IMRO, from the 1890s through the 1930s. If you want a fairly easy-to-read book and a general understanding of IMRO and the main players involved, I think you'll find this book useful.

The title: "The Macedonian Resurrection: The Story of the Internal Macedonian Revolutionary Organization." As with Anarchy in Macedonia, all profits are going to St. Mary's Macedonian Church in Detroit.

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                            X