• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TrueMacedonian
    • Jan 2009

Village of Bader, Tauresium, Justinian, + more

page 96

About Tauresium

Tauresium, the birthplace Justinian I (527-565), is mentioned by ancient author Prokopius in his composition De aedificiis For buildings.
    In his composition, Prokopius declared:
    Somewhere in the area of European Dardanians, who live behind Epidamnian border, close to castle Baderiana (today, village Bader), was found village Tavrisi (today, Taor). Here was born king Justinian, founder of world kingdom. Surrounding this village with square walls and building tower on each corner, he created four corner castles and named it Tetrapirgus. Here he build nice city and named it Justiniana Prima, on this way he wants to show his gratitude to parenthood
    The site of archeological locality Gradishte v. Taor is 20 km southeast from Skopje. First time, it is discovered hundred and more years ago, from English traveler Arthur Evans, who recognized lost city as Justiniana Prima, where ancient Skupi was located, and village Taor as Tauresium, birthplace of king Justinian I. In historical chronology this locality is related with big imperator Justinian I, mostly because of the quoted data from his biographer Procopius. According to historian Procopius, Justinian I was born in the place named Tauresium, near castle Baderiana. This settlement was destroyed in the big earthquake in 518 year; the epicenter was in present Skopje and beside other cities, ancient colonia of Skupi suffered lost. Justinian I renovate and build up again this city; with this showing gratitude to its birthplace. Close to this place, he builds wonderful and fascinating city of his archiepiscopy, Justiniana Prima.
    The excavations showed that in Taor really exist castle from IV century with four towers (tetrapirgia). As Procopius noticed, 6 km east from Taor, near village Bader is settled castle with oddments from IV-VI century. Maybe its real name was Baderiana, which Procopius indicates it as nearest landmark. It is important to declare that names of villages Taor and Bader has before Slavic heritage, which indicates, the possibility this names are deductive from Tauresium and Baderiana. In 2000 year started a systematic excavation performed from Museum of the city of Skopje and leader of excavation was archeologist Kiro Ristov.
    First explorations on the field recorded artifacts from early bronze century (which are sporadically and without parallel cultural layer as context). Later was discovered part from the bulwark which surrounded the settlement. The focus, for now, is on remains on two public buildings, from which second one is more interesting, because researchers assume this is atrium. The atrium induce the idea that here we should expect existence of bigger public building. This shows that in the period of late antique, from IV-VI century and later, the population in this area had active social life. For this testify the big number of coins, jewelry, ceramic plates, glass objects for everyday use, armor remains, tools, weapons and other artifacts.
    Slayer Of The Modern "greek" Myth!!!

Comment

• Risto the Great
      • Sep 2008

Why are Zimarchus and Dityvistus "recognisably Thracian"?
      We see them described a Illyrian in other texts.
      Does anyone feel that many Proto Thracians became the Vlachs we know in modern times?
      Risto the Great
      MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
      "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com

Comment

• TrueMacedonian
        • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Risto the Great View Post
        Does anyone feel that many Proto Thracians became the Vlachs we know in modern times?
        There's no solid evidence to suggest that the Vlachs are from Thracian stock. The Goths were settled in Dacia by Emperor Aurellian where they managed to remain peaceful for a short while before moving on to destroy most of the Roman empire. They might be descendents of these people but who really knows.

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
          • Sep 2008

I feel that the Thracians (all tribes collectively) were the main element that formed the core of the 6th century Slavic-speaking people, I don't think there can be any doubt if all the evidence was reviewed.

Good sources TM.
          In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.

Comment

• TrueMacedonian
            • Jan 2009

Thanks SoM.

Comment

• Pelister
              • Sep 2008

I really enjoyed reading this about Justinian. He is our Macedonian.

The Latin element in Macedonia is a funny thing, and native Vlachs seem to have moved around alot. They seem to be most heavily clustered along the Via Egnatia which indicates they are the descendants of Roman soldiers and citizens, but that is just a guess.

Comment

• TrueMacedonian
                • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Pelister View Post
                I really enjoyed reading this about Justinian. He is our Macedonian.

The Latin element in Macedonia is a funny thing, and native Vlachs seem to have moved around alot. They seem to be most heavily clustered along the Via Egnatia which indicates they are the descendants of Roman soldiers and citizens, but that is just a guess.
                Whatever he may have been ethnically he was still related to the Macedonians some how, especially culturally - http://www.macedoniantruth.org/forum...ead.php?t=1029

His reign resonates today through the Christian world with the Hagia Sophia.

As for Latin elements in Macedonia what about this;

page 73
                Last edited by TrueMacedonian; 12-22-2009, 11:04 PM.

Comment

• lavce pelagonski
                  • Nov 2009

Justinian I OF Macedonia

Justinian I
                  Justinian was one of the most famous and successful emperors of the Byzantine era after Constantine I. He was born in Ilyricum (near Skopje in Macedonia) in 482 or 483 AD. In 523 he married Theodora, a scandalous dancer thus he was criticized a lot, and ascended to the throne in 527 AD after the death of Justin I. After becoming an emperor, he fought against the Persians between 528-530 who invaded Mesopotamia and attacked on the Byzantine lands, and he stopped them thanks to one of his great commanders of the army, Belisarius.
                  It was under his reign when Nika Riot destroyed the city and most of its important monuments including Hagia Sophia Church, killing over 30.000 people in five days of urban warfare. Justinian managed to end the riot with a great difficulty and than he dedicated himself on the reconstruction of Constantinople and its monuments; Hagia Sophia church, Hagia Irene church, Underground cistern were all built under his rule.
                  In 533 AD Justinian sent his army to Africa under the command of Belisarius to get rid of the Vandal Kingdom which caused the Byzantines many problems, and he succeeded. In 535 AD he sent his army to Italy with his most favorite commander to end the incapable government of Theodahad, landing in Sicily and advancing all the way to Rome and Ravenna fighting against the Goths until 540. Afterwards another war broke out with Persians in the east, who attacked on the Byzantines and captured Antioch. The war went on until finally Justinian signed a peace pact with Persians in 555 AD.
                  As for the interior affairs, Justinian supported the Roman Law. He established the Justinian Code (Codex Justinianus) in 529 AD uniting all valid imperial laws under one and thus founding the base of almost all legal systems in Europe. He also introduced the silk-worm culture to Europe. But on the other hand, his passion for building great monuments such as Hagia Sophia put the Byzantine treasure under stress and this brought high taxes damaging the trade and industry. Same thing happened with a heavy war taxation to support his war campaigns.
                  Emperor Justinian died in 565 AD at the age of 83, after reigning for 38 years. He was succeeded by his nephew Justin II. Justinian was buried at the Church of the Holy Apostles in today's Fatih district, which was plundered by the Crusaders and later destroyed by earthquakes.

Macedonian Emperors
                  867886 Basil I, the Macedonian
                  886912 Leo VI, the Wise
                  912913 Alexander III
                  913959 Constantine VII, Porphyrogenitus
                  919944 Romanus I, Lecapenus
                  959963 Romanus II
                  963969 Nicephorus II, Phocas
                  969976 John I, Tzimisces
                  9761025 Basil II, Bulgaroktonus
                  102528 Constantine VIII
                  102850 Zo
                  102834 Romanus III, Argyrus
                  103441 Michael IV, the Paphlagonian
                  104142 Michael V, Calaphates
                  104254 Constantine IX, Monomachus
                  105456 Theodora
                  105657 Michael VI, Stratioticus
                  105759 Isaac I, Comnenus
                  105967 Constantine X, Dukas
                  1067 Andronicus
                  1067 Constantine XI
                  106771 Romanus IV, Diogenes
                  107178 Michael VII, Parapinakes
                  107881 Nicephorus III, Botaniates
                  10811118 Alexius I, Comnenus
                  111843 John IV, Calus
                  114380 Manuel I
                  118083 Alexius II
                  118285 Andronicus I
                  118595 Isaac II, Angelus-Comnenus
                  11951203 Alexius III, Angelus
                  120304 Alexius IV
                  1204 Alexius V, Dukas
                  527565 Justinian I (The Great)
                  565578 Justin II
                  Стравот на Атина од овој Македонец одел до таму што го нарекле Страшниот Чакаларов гркоубиец и крвожеден комитаџија.

Ако знам дека тука тече една капка грчка крв, јас сега би ја отсекол целата рака и би ја фрлил в море. Васил Чакаларов

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
                    • Sep 2008

Lavche, where did you get the list from? I don't think it is entirely accurate.
                    In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.

Comment

• lavce pelagonski
                      • Nov 2009

I was searching though my folders and came across it I will see if I can find the source
                      Стравот на Атина од овој Македонец одел до таму што го нарекле Страшниот Чакаларов гркоубиец и крвожеден комитаџија.

Ако знам дека тука тече една капка грчка крв, јас сега би ја отсекол целата рака и би ја фрлил в море. Васил Чакаларов

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
                        • Sep 2008

I have merged individual threads relating to Justinian and Belisarius into this one.

Comment

• lavce pelagonski
                          • Nov 2009

Таор и Јустинијана Прима

‪Таор и Јустинијана Прима‬‏ - YouTube

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
                            • Sep 2008

On the first couple of pages in this thread the possibility of 'Belisarius' meaning 'White Prince' was discussed. The name may actually be related to the south Slavic name 'Velizar', meaning 'great'. Another name with a similar ending is 'Svetozar'. Just a thought.

Comment

• Carlin
                              • Dec 2011

Comment

• Carlin
                                • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Risto the Great View Post
                                This is a very good question. Why are Zimarchus and Dityvistus Thracian names?

If I find anything relevant I will post it here.

For now, Andrs Mcsy (link 1 below) seems to argue that the analysis of local names shows that they are clearly Thracian names with a south Pannonian-Dalmatian (Illyrian) colouring. Soldiers from Scupi and Ratiaria areas have "good Thracian names" according to the same author - names such as: Bitus, Sinna, Dolens, Drigissa, Mucco, Auluzon, Mucatral, Daizo. There is also evidence of southern contact; the name Mestrius, the most frequent among the natives of Scupi, was just as common among Paionians and Pelagonians. Note: Mcsy also states that the inhabitants of Scupi probably spoke Thracian.

There is also the possibility of Celtic influence and origin of certain names (link 4 below). Ivanovitch Rostovtzeff states (link 5 below) that Roman troops/colonies were not planted in a desert land. Most, if not all, of the Roman fortresses were built in the immediate vicinity of large Celtic, Illyrian, and Thracian villages.

Links:
                                1) https://books.google.ca/books?id=LP9...igissa&f=false
                                2) https://books.google.ca/books?id=Vfj..._5Cq4Q6AEILjAB
                                3) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Dacian_names
                                4) http://www.academia.edu/3292310/The_...ames_in_Thrace
                                5) https://books.google.ca/books?id=6dg...0Scupi&f=false

PS: It is very likely (almost certain) that the Latin-speaking "Vlachs" arose as a result of fusion of diverse cultures and racial elements: primarily Roman colonists and indigenous Balkan peoples (including Thracians).

George Finlay said that "in the sixth century, the Thracian dialect bore a strong resemblance to corrupt Latin, and to the Vallachian language spoken at the present day":
                                Last edited by Carlin; 02-21-2019, 03:35 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X