• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Niko777
    • Oct 2010

Tourist Reveals Names of Corrupt Macedonian Border Guards

I've never heard or seen anything like this before

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
  • Niko777
    • Oct 2010

Good for this tourist for revealing these criminals and providing a glimpse of a much wider picture.

The only thing I found funny was one of the guards who he names has photos of Gruevski all over his facebook profile.

Comment

• Phoenix
      • Dec 2008

...cry me a river.

Visit any country and you'll find your fair share of arsehole customs officials, only too happy to make tourists feel shit scared.

What was with the drone 'blackmarket' bullshit anyway...I'm sure any Macedonian citizen wanting to buy a drone could get onto the Walmart website as an example and pay about $US40 + shipping for a HD camera equipped drone...

BTW...I wouldn't be trusting any American 'happy-wanderer tourist' with suitcases full of drones either...

BTW II...Do you think it's ok to perpetuate the 'name and shame' of people without any legally binding proof of guilt...?
      Last edited by Phoenix; 05-05-2017, 11:13 PM.

Comment

• Pelagonija
        • Mar 2017

I've lost a fair amount of Rakija at the border due to bad dodgy border guards.. maybe ZZ can round up a few thousand prostitutes and homos on the streets again and start throwing condoms around... though this may have to be delayed until after the current protests cease. We wouldn't ZZ to cop another beating live on international Tele.. the bloke has no shame or honour..

Comment

• Niko777
          • Oct 2010

Originally posted by Phoenix View Post
          ...cry me a river.

Visit any country and you'll find your fair share of arsehole customs officials, only too happy to make tourists feel shit scared.

What was with the drone 'blackmarket' bullshit anyway...I'm sure any Macedonian citizen wanting to buy a drone could get onto the Walmart website as an example and pay about $US40 + shipping for a HD camera equipped drone...
          If what he is saying is true than there is really no excuse for their behavior, on one hand Macedonia is spending thousands of dollars promoting the country with ads on CNN and then they're going to welcome tourists in this kind of way?

I'm sure it's easy to buy a drone in Macedonia too, but corrupt border guards selling stolen electronics on the black market doesn't seem too far fetched.

BTW...I wouldn't be trusting any American 'happy-wanderer tourist' with suitcases full of drones either...
          Fair enough, but the real danger is on our borders with Albania and Kosovo, not Bitola/Negochani.

BTW II...Do you think it's ok to perpetuate the 'name and shame' of people without any legally binding proof of guilt...?
          Normally I don't but this seems to be the standard in Macedonian media outlets today (both pro-government and pro-opposition).
          Last edited by Niko777; 05-06-2017, 12:27 AM.

Comment

• Phoenix
            • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Niko777 View Post
            ...If what he is saying is true than there is really no excuse for their behavior...
            Niko,

I get it...but the fact is that we don't really now how true it is...and to post the clip here with the guys identities displayed in such a manner, probably isn't the right thing to do...

Comment

• Amphipolis
              Banned
              • Aug 2014

...cry me a river.

Niko,

I get it...but the fact is that we don't really now how true it is...and to post the clip here with the guys identities displayed in such a manner, probably isn't the right thing to do...
              Uh... this "guy" is Rick Ray

Known for: 10 Questions for the Dalai Lama, Letters Home from the South China Seas: Adventures in Singapore & Borneo, Letters Home from Iceland

Comment

• Risto the Great
                • Sep 2008

Hmmmm, shit border guards scamming tourists. But no different to the USA it seems. Read about Men Fox's recent experience.

Risto the Great
                MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
                "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com

Comment

• Vangelovski
                  • Sep 2008

Phoenix, don't excuse Macedonia border guards just because their the victim is American. I've seen and experienced MK customs corruption enough times to know how real it is. And that's just the beginning.

This isn't pointed at you, but I get the feeling that a lot of Macedonians from the diaspora go there, can't speak two words and spend the whole time with their family - in effect seeing and experiencing nothing. Then come back with this warm and fuzzy feeling of how great it was.

I had one asshole go through my bag and then hold me up for 30 minutes asking me to give him my tube for dencorub because he had a sore shoulder. He could have ordered that online from Amcal too or bought something similar from his local chemist, but (given how retarded he seemed) thought it would be easier (and perhaps cheaper) to take it off me. I had to explain to him he's not getting it. Eventually his superior just told him to let me go. They're stupid, corrupt and will take anything.
                  Last edited by Vangelovski; 05-06-2017, 08:32 AM.
                  If my people who are called by my name will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sins and restore their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14

The Revolution was in the minds and hearts of the people; a change in their religious sentiments, of their duties and obligations...This radical change in the principles, opinions, sentiments, and affections of the people was the real American Revolution. John Adams

Comment

• Stojacanec
                    • Dec 2009

We were waiting to get off the train in Gevgelija back in 87. We had an big camera case on the ground with other bags just moments from getting off. One cop walks past and kicks the camera case down and says "what's all this shit on the ground"

Not withstanding there is corruption all over the world, I agree, customs officers in Macedonia can be morons and bullies.

Comment

• vicsinad
                      • May 2011

Originally posted by Vangelovski View Post
                      Phoenix, don't excuse Macedonia border guards just because their the victim is American. I've seen and experienced MK customs corruption enough times to know how real it is. And that's just the beginning.

This isn't pointed at you, but I get the feeling that a lot of Macedonians from the diaspora go there, can't speak two words and spend the whole time with their family - in effect seeing and experiencing nothing. Then come back with this warm and fuzzy feeling of how great it was.

I had one asshole go through my bag and then hold me up for 30 minutes asking me to give him my tube for dencorub because he had a sore shoulder. He could have ordered that online from Amcal too or bought something similar from his local chemist, but (given how retarded he seemed) thought it would be easier (and perhaps cheaper) to take it off me. I had to explain to him he's not getting it. Eventually his superior just told him to let me go. They're stupid, corrupt and will take anything.
                      Yes. When I went with my mom and grandma when I was 16, they claimed to have lost my mom's baggage at the airport until my mom pulled out enough money ($60) to have them have suddenly find the baggage.

My cousin's grandma went for a wedding and her dress for the wedding still had a tag on it so the officials accused her of intending to illegally sell it in Macedonia. She also had to pay a sum that was almost as much as the cost of the dress in order for them to let her proceed with the dress.

This is just repeated over and over again...I've heard endless stories from family/friends. It's ingrained in Macedonian mentality/culture there.

Comment

• Phoenix
                        • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Vangelovski View Post

Vangelovski,

I get it, I'm certainly not sticking up for them because their victim was an American and anyone who has travelled to Macedonia will have a negative customs story to tell.

The point was...'innocent until proven guilty'...no need to 'name and shame people' on the internet without getting to the bottom of the facts and hearing the other side of the story...that's all.

Why should we automatically believe the American...?
                        After all, he's a documentary film maker, who's to say he hasn't made shit up or provoked people for a reaction.
                        As a filmmaker, or tourist...who gives him the right to identify people in such a way.

If he wants to save the world from corruption, perhaps his attention should be focused on the USA, where maybe he could make a meaningful difference...or is it perhaps that in the USA, if you pulled such a 'name and shame' stunt you'll get your arse sued to the tune of millions...?

Comment

• Vangelovski
                          • Sep 2008

Vangelovski,

I get it, I'm certainly not sticking up for them because their victim was an American and anyone who has travelled to Macedonia will have a negative customs story to tell.

The point was...'innocent until proven guilty'...no need to 'name and shame people' on the internet without getting to the bottom of the facts and hearing the other side of the story...that's all.

Why should we automatically believe the American...?
                          After all, he's a documentary film maker, who's to say he hasn't made shit up or provoked people for a reaction.
                          As a filmmaker, or tourist...who gives him the right to identify people in such a way.

If he wants to save the world from corruption, perhaps his attention should be focused on the USA, where maybe he could make a meaningful difference...or is it perhaps that in the USA, if you pulled such a 'name and shame' stunt you'll get your arse sued to the tune of millions...?
                          I take your point about naming and shaming.
                          If my people who are called by my name will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sins and restore their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14

The Revolution was in the minds and hearts of the people; a change in their religious sentiments, of their duties and obligations...This radical change in the principles, opinions, sentiments, and affections of the people was the real American Revolution. John Adams

Comment

• Amphipolis
                            Banned
                            • Aug 2014

He did manage to save the footage from the confiscated drones. This is his footage from Greece and shows how he would probably use his drones in Macedonia.

Just before my drone was confiscated by Republic of Macedonia customs agents, I filmed the monasteries and climbers of Meteora, Greece. Spectacular place. I ...

Extended discussions and info about this episode can be found here:

==
                            Last edited by Amphipolis; 05-07-2017, 05:02 AM.

Comment

• Gocka
                              • Dec 2012

Yea the border agents and customs are a bunch of clowns. Usually you just have to show them that you aren't scared of them and they back off.

Comment

Working...
                              X