X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Liberator of Makedonija
    • Apr 2014

Originally posted by George S. View Post
    well they say melbourne is the second greece in the world there's something like million greeks that translates into votes,That's why they were able influence australia to adopt fyrom name for macedonia.Yes hellenism died out long time ago.
    There's roughly 400k Greeks in Australia, I would estimate just over half of them live here in Melbourne. Wouldn't call us a "Second Greece", if anything it's more of a "Second Italy" seeing how there are more than twice the ammount of Italians here than Greeks.
    I know of two tragic histories in the world- that of Ireland, and that of Macedonia. Both of them have been deprived and tormented.

Comment

• Redsun
      • Jul 2013

Originally posted by Amphipolis View Post
      Hellenism is not an ideology or a movement. It's quite obvious that you need Greeks to Hellenise the non-Greeks and then (at least) Hellenised people who will continue this legacy (as long as it lasted).
      Hellenization before the Hellenistic age and during the Hellenistic age, is incomparable. Most texts give the impression that Hellenization during the Hellenistic age was on a mass scale, before the Hellenistic age what was Greek policy on Hellenization?

Did Hellenization exist prior to the Hellenistic age?

Because the ancient word was Hellenizein, but it wouldn't really matter as it would mean the same thing. I remind you that foreign historians decided to call the previous Greek era, "Classic" (a foreign term suggesting peak period) and the term is now widely used.
      I thought Helleniziein meant “to speak Greek, to make Greek.”

To make speak Greek.

Teach the Greek language.

It implies "Greek" "real Greek", not just Hellenised.
      Yes, as I had stated “the people inhabiting Grecia.”

Greeks WERE a "race" of people and most of its' tribes in most of the periods were very (as you would call them now) "racist" about their Greekness. Actually, Athens and Athenian Democracy is one of these places and periods. Pureness of blood, family origins etc. would determin your identity, civil rights and position in society.
      They were racist to one another over pureness of blood, do you believe that they were heterogeneous?

Comment

• tchaiku
        • Nov 2016

Nope. First of all the term is used mostly (if not only) in the adjective form (Hellenistic). It's not Hellenic (Greek) because it refers to "foreign" (?) Empires (Ptolemaic, Seleucid, Indo-Greek etc) with a prevalent Greek character.

Hellenism is not an ideology or a movement. It's quite obvious that you need Greeks to Hellenise the non-Greeks and then (at least) Hellenised people who will continue this legacy (as long as it lasted).

Because the ancient word was Hellenizein, but it wouldn't really matter as it would mean the same thing. I remind you that foreign historians decided to call the previous Greek era, "Classic" (a foreign term suggesting peak period) and the term is now widely used.

Greeks WERE a "race" of people and most of its' tribes in most of the periods were very (as you would call them now) "racist" about their Greekness. Actually, Athens and Athenian Democracy is one of these places and periods. Pureness of blood, family origins etc. would determin your identity, civil rights and position in society.
        Interesting.

Comment

• tchaiku
          • Nov 2016

Can you elaborate on it? I am interested to know.

Comment

Working...
          X