Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gocka
    • Dec 2012

Is that quote taken from a broader text? Do we have a link to the whole letter where that quote is taken from?

Comment

• Liberator of Makedonija
      • Apr 2014

Originally posted by Gocka View Post
      Is that quote taken from a broader text? Do we have a link to the whole letter where that quote is taken from?
      Yeah it was a whole letter written by Delčev to Maleševski. Don't think I've ever seen the full text, the Bulgars always crop this part out.
      I know of two tragic histories in the world- that of Ireland, and that of Macedonia. Both of them have been deprived and tormented.

Comment

• Chicho Makedonski
        • Feb 2019

It didn’t have an ethnic meaning. Let me explain.

Macedonians at times called themselves ‘Bulgarians’ but it wasn’t an ethnic meaning for most of them. This is due to the fact that the term ‘Bulgarian’ in ottoman Macedonia was simply the norm at times, as it was synonymous with ‘peasant’ and ‘slavic speaker’, obviously remnant terminology of the Bulgarian empire which temporarily ruled Macedonia.

The Macedonians also called themselves ‘Bulgarians’ at times because ones identity in ottoman times also had a lot to do with ones faith and religious affiliation to a particular church. Due to the Macedonian church being forbidden by the Greeks and Bulgarians, the Macedonians had no choice but to be members of foreign churches of which most were Bulgarian as they could understand it more than greek. They called themselves ‘Bulgarians’ as a way to denote that they are members of the Bulgarian exarchate church which spread Bulgarian propaganda.

The Macedonians with Bishop Theodosius of Skopje strived for their own Macedonian Orthodox Church but the idea was destroyed by the Bulgarians in 1891. The Macedonians still wanted their own Macedonian Orthodox Church.

Goce Delchev wanted a free Macedonia for the Macedonians (both ethnic and regional Macedonians) where they would be the leaders of the country, Macedonian language to be the offical language of the country, to be free of foreign Greek, Bulgarian or Serbian influence and main components, whereby the growth of Macedonian churches and later on schools would take place to replace the Bulgarian ones which spread Bulgarian propaganda.

If he was an ethnic ‘Bulgarian’ he would’ve worked for a free Macedonia with a main Bulgarian component, like all the Bulgarians did and what they have always wanted to do, so Macedonia could act like a puppet state to Bulgaria with future annexation to Bulgaria. But he didn’t because he was an ethnic Macedonian that wanted no Bulgarian influence or main Bulgarian component and was against the Bulgarian propaganda (as he wasn’t Bulgarian).

He called himself Macedonian and differentiated the Macedonians from the Bulgarians.

Also as we are on the subject, most Macedonians never saw themselves as ethnic Bulgarians but simply ethnic Macedonians which is demonstrated as they only claimed relation to and celebrated people of whom the Macedonians always regarded to be of ethnic Macedonian background, mainly being the ancient Macedonians. Although the Bulgarians do claim some of the people the Macedonians celebrated, most of the Macedonians never shared the same view and only celebrated them because they believed them to be of ethnic Macedonian origin with ‘Macedonian blood’.

It only had an ethnic meaning for the Macedonians that completely fell for the Bulgarian propaganda and honestly believed they were ethnic Bulgarians or also whose family simply didn’t keep the Macedonian heritage alive through songs and passing on information to the other generations due to ottoman influence which silenced national belief. This is unlike the Macedonians that remembered and sang songs about their ancestors (ancient Macedonians) which were passed down orally from generation to generation, clearly pointing to a growing awareness of their historical ethnic Macedonian heritage and against any historical Bulgarian origin which originated in Asia.

The fact that it was passed down orally from generation to generation proves the Macedonians were always weary of their heritage, but the national consciousness on a wider scale was growing more public during the late 1800’s to early 1900’s.

The Ancient Macedonians were mentioned in the first Macedonian constitution in 1878 from the Kresna uprising. Clearly shows the Macedonians never forgot their ethnic Macedonian national icons and it opposes any such ethnic Bulgarian relation.

The ethnic Macedonians simply cannot be ethnic Bulgarians as the Macedonians already existed as a distinct nation since ancient times long before the Bulgarians were ever mentioned in the Balkans. The roots of the ethnic Macedonians are in Macedonia, while the roots of the Bulgarians are in the Turko-Morgilic Bulgars who came into Europe from Asia in the 7th century AD.* While the Bulgars are intruders in the Balkans, the Macedonians had preserved their name through the centuries and evidence shows that they have always associated themselves with the ancient Macedonians.

Comment

• Apr 2014

We know this Chicho. This thread is dealing more with the authenticity of the supposed letter in question. With your explanation are you suggesting the letter is indeed authentic?
          I know of two tragic histories in the world- that of Ireland, and that of Macedonia. Both of them have been deprived and tormented.

Comment

• Chicho Makedonski
            • Feb 2019

I’m not sure, it could easily be a Bulgarian fabrication. What I’m saying is the term ‘Bulgarian’ didn’t always have an ethnic meaning then. So even if it is authentic it doesn’t prove he was an ethnic Bulgarian haha. We know the term didn’t always have ethnic meaning so I don’t look into it much. I believe if it is authentic it was in relation to his affiliation to the Bulgarian exarchate church as ones identity in ottoman times had a lot to do with faith and affiliation to a church. It could also have been used to denote he was a ‘slavic speaker’ or ‘peasant’ as ‘Bulgarian’ was synonymous with peasant and slavic speaker.

Comment

• Apr 2014

Originally posted by Chicho Makedonski View Post
              I’m not sure, it could easily be a Bulgarian fabrication. What I’m saying is the term ‘Bulgarian’ didn’t always have an ethnic meaning then. So even if it is authentic it doesn’t prove he was an ethnic Bulgarian haha. We know the term didn’t always have ethnic meaning so I don’t look into it much. I believe if it is authentic it was in relation to his affiliation to the Bulgarian exarchate church as ones identity in ottoman times had a lot to do with faith and affiliation to a church. It could also have been used to denote he was a ‘slavic speaker’ or ‘peasant’ as ‘Bulgarian’ was synonymous with peasant and slavic speaker.
              Don't believe Delčev had a very good relationship with the Exarchate so unsure if he would identify himself with it. Not even 100% sure if he was a part of that millet to be honest.

Comment

Working...
              X