X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sydney
    • Sep 2008

Ancient Coinage

Any knowledgeable folks here when it comes to ancient coinage? I'm a complete amateur on the topic.

Is it the case that the term "Greece" or "Hellas" (or whatever) was not found on ancient coins?
  • Redsun
    • Jul 2013

I thought “Greece” was an English translation of “Graecia”, a Latin exonym.

I too am an amateur on the topic. I had always assumed ancient coins were minted with two names, the name of the Kingdom and its current ruler. I too would like to know if “Hellas” (or whatever) was printed on ancient coins.

Comment

• Amphipolis
      Banned
      • Aug 2014

You can use this link, but they're too many

Comment

• Redsun
        • Jul 2013

The name of the site deters me from entering, "wildwinds". I cant help but assume that this site isn't very credible, can you suggest another?
        Last edited by Redsun; 09-10-2016, 07:04 PM.

Comment

• Amphipolis
          Banned
          • Aug 2014

Originally posted by Redsun View Post
          The name of the site deters me from entering, "wildwinds". I cant help but assume that this site isn't very credible, can you suggest another?
          Barclay Head's Historia Numorum, an encyclopedia of ancient Greek coins published in 1911.

They're all excellent because the material (pictures and analysis) comes from the same official catalogues and books.

Comment

• Amphipolis
            Banned
            • Aug 2014

Originally posted by sydney View Post
            Any knowledgeable folks here when it comes to ancient coinage? I'm a complete amateur on the topic.

Is it the case that the term "Greece" or "Hellas" (or whatever) was not found on ancient coins?
            This list mentions only one (!), but it doesn't have a picture.

Comment

Working...
            X