X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TrueMacedonian
    • Jan 2009

What the words "Greece" and "Greek" mean today

We all know that these words have meant different things at different times in history. Today it has become appropriate to identify the words "Greece" and "Greek" with bankruptcy, default, and failure. Here are a few examples:

Tasmania's Premier has told a national audience the island state is not the 'Greece of Australia'. Lara Giddings has told the National Press Club in Canberra her Government is "quietly transforming" the state's struggling economy. She says the factors holding back the economy will pass.

Tasmania not the Greece of Australia, says Premier

Tasmania's Premier has told a national audience the island state is not the 'Greece of Australia'.

Lara Giddings has spoken for the first time at the the National Press Club in Canberra.

She says her Government is "quietly transforming" the state's struggling economy.

The Premier says much of the criticism of the state's economic situation is politically motivated.

"You've all heard the claims - Tasmania is backward, a mendicant state, the Greece of Australia, closed for business and, invariably, our political opponents blame minority government," she said.

Another example;

This article was originally published online on Wednesday, January 23, 2013.Jamaica's financial quandary resembles Japan more than Greece, says Oppenheimer managing director Gregory Fisher...

Jamaica is not Greece! It's more like Japan - Fisher

Fisher's comparison of Jamaica with Japan, the world's third-largest economy, ostensibly aims to build a positive outlook for Jamaica, which is currently mired in uncertainty attributable to the absence of an IMF agreement.

"My ongoing annoyance is with the litany of economists comparing Jamaica to Greece. I am tired of it," he told the conference.

"I am very sick of the analogy between Jamaica and Greece. Because the truth of the matter is that both countries have very little in common."

Fisher said all three nations are among the world's most indebted but that Japan has more similarities, including lost decades of growth.

Here is a recent example;

Why Barron's Went With That Preposterous Cover About Obama Turning America Into Greece

In case you missed it, quiet financial newspaper Barron's took a huge swipe at Obama in its latest cover, promising that if he got his way, the US would be on the road to Greece.

And another;

Scott Brison's plan to avoid a Greek tragedy in Maritimes

And there are hundreds more examples of this.
    Slayer Of The Modern "greek" Myth!!!
  • Gocka
    • Dec 2012

TM,

I like you I think you do some good work much of the time. Especially in the history section.

That said, I think this is freaking stupid.

I am sick and tired of seeing on this forum.

Greek,greeks,greece,grci,greekoids,grkomani,hellas ,ellad and what ever else they fucking call themselves.

This is the MACEDONIAN FORUM. There are more articles on here about why greece sucks so much than why Macedonia is great/or not.

This obsession with bashing greeks is weak and short sighted. Our own country his MUCH BIGGER problems than those of the greeks and all you can post about is greece this greece that. I DONT GIVE A FUCK about greece when my own homeland is a few ministers away from being the Republic of UCK!!!

Way to many of you from Australia are fixated on slating greeks and not focused enough on digging Macedonia out of the shit hole its in.

I swear to god sometimes I come on here and I looks like an anti greek forum rather than a Pro Macedonian one.

I hate them you hate them we all hate them, they are bastards for what they have done and continue to do but getting our jollies by taking happiness in there insignificant blurbs of stupidity is not going to get us anywhere and we will just end up like them.

You do good work disproving historical manipulations but this kind of stuff is beneath you my friend. You can contribute better things to this forum and Macedonia than these mindless greeks suck woo hoo articles.

I'm sorry if I come of strong, I am really frustrated with the current state of affairs in ROM and these kinds of articles are useless.

Comment

• TrueMacedonian
      • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Gocka View Post
      TM,

I like you I think you do some good work much of the time. Especially in the history section.

Greek,greeks,greece,grci,greekoids,grkomani,hellas ,ellad and what ever else they fucking call themselves.

This is the MACEDONIAN FORUM. There are more articles on here about why greece sucks so much than why Macedonia is great/or not.

This obsession with bashing greeks is weak and short sighted. Our own country his MUCH BIGGER problems than those of the greeks and all you can post about is greece this greece that. I DONT GIVE A FUCK about greece when my own homeland is a few ministers away from being the Republic of UCK!!!

Way to many of you from Australia are fixated on slating greeks and not focused enough on digging Macedonia out of the shit hole its in.

I swear to god sometimes I come on here and I looks like an anti greek forum rather than a Pro Macedonian one.

I hate them you hate them we all hate them, they are bastards for what they have done and continue to do but getting our jollies by taking happiness in there insignificant blurbs of stupidity is not going to get us anywhere and we will just end up like them.

You do good work disproving historical manipulations but this kind of stuff is beneath you my friend. You can contribute better things to this forum and Macedonia than these mindless greeks suck woo hoo articles.

I'm sorry if I come of strong, I am really frustrated with the current state of affairs in ROM and these kinds of articles are useless.
      Gocka I apologize if you don't like this topic. And I am not from Australia. I am from New York. There are many topics on here that deal with Macedonia's greatness and the Macedonian Republics weakness. You should find those and post there. Topics like this exist to remove horse blinders from people who only see beaches and ancient ruins in modern Greece. You may not like this "bashing" as you call it but I call it a reality check of a country that denies the existence of Macedonians within her current boundaries.

Here's another example by Paul Krugman;

Like other European nations forced to impose austerity in a depressed economy, Greece seems doomed to many more years of suffering.

What Greece Means

Comment

• Gocka
        • Dec 2012

Originally posted by TrueMacedonian View Post
        Gocka I apologize if you don't like this topic. And I am not from Australia. I am from New York. There are many topics on here that deal with Macedonia's greatness and the Macedonian Republics weakness. You should find those and post there. Topics like this exist to remove horse blinders from people who only see beaches and ancient ruins in modern Greece. You may not like this "bashing" as you call it but I call it a reality check of a country that denies the existence of Macedonians within her current boundaries.

Like other European nations forced to impose austerity in a depressed economy, Greece seems doomed to many more years of suffering.

What Greece Means
        TM,

Please do not apologize as you have nothing to apologize for. I was giving my opinion and I apologize for giving it so harshly. I can understand your point of view but greece is already in all the media for its mess and i think everyone in the world knows what kind of mess they are in.

Now I have nothing against posting articles about greece if it relates to Macedonians or other human rights issues or even any issue of substance which as you say will shed light on their real character but lets also not get carried away, some of the stuff posted including this thread is nothing more than just crap. The Krugman article was good but then again it was not about greece in particular and it has nothing to do with the title of the thread. It only makes us look stupid and petty, and what I fear is that we will eventually look like the greeks. In fact many times I think we do resemble them. Blind hate and chauvinism will not get us anywhere nor win us any favor, it will only make us look weak.

I am only saying this because I do respect you and I don't want to see you stoop low and take pages from their books. Be all means highlight what you think is important but maintain a little class as well because we are not greeks and we do not behave like them.

Our own house is crumbling before our eyes so I would be very careful about what we say of others and putting too much focus on issues that have no return on investment.

I hope you understand and I hope I did not offend you.

Comment

• TrueMacedonian
          • Jan 2009

TM,

Please do not apologize as you have nothing to apologize for. I was giving my opinion and I apologize for giving it so harshly. I can understand your point of view but greece is already in all the media for its mess and i think everyone in the world knows what kind of mess they are in.

Now I have nothing against posting articles about greece if it relates to Macedonians or other human rights issues or even any issue of substance which as you say will shed light on their real character but lets also not get carried away, some of the stuff posted including this thread is nothing more than just crap. The Krugman article was good but then again it was not about greece in particular and it has nothing to do with the title of the thread. It only makes us look stupid and petty, and what I fear is that we will eventually look like the greeks. In fact many times I think we do resemble them. Blind hate and chauvinism will not get us anywhere nor win us any favor, it will only make us look weak.

I am only saying this because I do respect you and I don't want to see you stoop low and take pages from their books. Be all means highlight what you think is important but maintain a little class as well because we are not greeks and we do not behave like them.

Our own house is crumbling before our eyes so I would be very careful about what we say of others and putting too much focus on issues that have no return on investment.

I hope you understand and I hope I did not offend you.
          No offense taken. The Krugman article is relevant because he does indeed point out why any country should avoid being "Greek" in financial terms. So yes his article makes a lot of points about Greece. Gocka you may view this as petty but I honestly don't. I think you really missed the point of the topic itself. There is no blind hate or chauvinism. Just facts.

Comment

• RedAndYellowBlood
            • Feb 2013

TM,

I'm all for doing that but where do I start lol
            I constantly give money to the United Macedonian Diaspora as I am limited to what I can do from Australia!
            MACEDONIA IS FOR MACEDONIANS

Comment

• Risto the Great
              • Sep 2008

Originally posted by RedAndYellowBlood View Post
              I'm all for doing that but where do I start lol
              I constantly give money to the United Macedonian Diaspora as I am limited to what I can do from Australia!
              So when their leader advocated a name change a few years back, you saw that as being progressive?

You might want to ask questions before giving money to them in the future. We did, we never got any answers. Never.
              Risto the Great
              MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
              "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com

Comment

• RedAndYellowBlood
                • Feb 2013

Originally posted by Risto the Great View Post
                So when their leader advocated a name change a few years back, you saw that as being progressive?

You might want to ask questions before giving money to them in the future. We did, we never got any answers. Never.
                I sure as hell prefer ROM over FYROM! Why would that not be progress?

What questions should I be asking? They have senior Policy Analysts in European Affairs representing us, is that bad?

I apologise in advance if I don't know all the details, I only go off what I have been told so feel free to correct me.

Comment

• Phoenix
                  • Dec 2008

R&Y, seeing that you obviously have no issue with throwing money away, do you mind directing some coin my way?

Comment

• Phoenix
                    • Dec 2008

I like the thread...an opportunity to show the 'Greeks' in the right light should never be missed.

Comment

• RedAndYellowBlood
                      • Feb 2013

Originally posted by Phoenix View Post
                      R&Y, seeing that you obviously have no issue with throwing money away, do you mind directing some coin my way?
                      If you can do something for me I would be more than happy too.
                      Where are you from and what can you do for me

Comment

• EgejskaMakedonia
                        • Jan 2010

Buy him a Hawthorn membership. He'll be forever in your debt.

Comment

• Phoenix
                          • Dec 2008

I can do fuck all for you R&Y but fuck all, actually holds far more currency compared to the damage UMD does through your patronage of those kurvi.

Comment

• Phoenix
                            • Dec 2008

Originally posted by EgejskaMakedonia View Post
                            Buy him a Hawthorn membership. He'll be forever in your debt.
                            Get stuffed bre...I'll console you again after round 1

Comment

• momce
                              Banned
                              • Oct 2012

Originally posted by TrueMacedonian View Post

What Greece Means
                              We should care about the demise of greece as we still have an interest in harvesting our stolen land. So bash away until it is ground into dust.

Comment

Working...
                              X