Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Carlin
    • Dec 2011

For the second case, is there any truth to the claims? Why was the Greek government blocking the archaeologist in question?

Comment

• Amphipolis
      Banned
      • Aug 2014

Originally posted by Carlin15 View Post
      For the second case, is there any truth to the claims? Why was the Greek government blocking the archaeologist in question?
      It's probably because Egypt is not in Greece.

Comment

• sydney
        • Sep 2008

Probably because Egypt is not in Greece? Hilarious response. It’s because the tomb was not Alexander’s. You know this so I don’t understand why you don’t just call it out.

Comment

• Amphipolis
          Banned
          • Aug 2014

Originally posted by sydney View Post
          Probably because Egypt is not in Greece? Hilarious response. It’s because the tomb was not Alexander’s. You know this so I don’t understand why you don’t just call it out.
          Actually I don't really know much or remembered much about this case (I just watched videos with her interviews).

This woman was an archaeologist (with a rich husband). She had... visions and she was given the right to perform excavations. Hilariously enough she made an amazing discovery and then she was ousted, while the excavations (according to her) have stopped since. She presents various conspiracy theories on why she was stopped and she maintains her certainty that this was Alexander's tomb. I've heard her claiming that Greek Prime Minister of the time (Simitis) asked Egypt to stop excavations, or... it was Israel etc. (which is not a good sign). I didn't manage to find essential and reliable info, so I don't take her very seriously, she's not fully ridiculous either.

Comment

• Amphipolis
            Banned
            • Aug 2014

This is the best video I could find (and it's mostly in English)

Το άγνωστο βίντεο των ανασκαφών της Λιάνα Σουβαλτζή στην Όαση Σίουα για την ανεύρεση του Τάφου του Μεγάλου Αλεξάνδρου, που κρατήθηκε μυστικό επί 22 ολόκληρα ...

Comment

• Carlin
              • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Amphipolis View Post
              This is the best video I could find (and it's mostly in English)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qL6y95SGN40
              According to the video description, which is in Greek, it states that the Tomb of Alexander the Great has been discovered... and kept secret for 22 years. Further on, it says that "the excavations were stopped by the Simitis Government, so that Alexander would not accidentally be found and ruin their plans".

Why? Why would a Greek government not want for the tomb of Alexander to be found?

If indeed this is the tomb of Alexander, what could be the reasons why Greek authorities would step in and block any further progress?

Comment

• Amphipolis
                Banned
                • Aug 2014

Originally posted by Carlin15 View Post
                According to the video description, which is in Greek, it states that the Tomb of Alexander the Great has been discovered... and kept secret for 22 years. Further on, it says that "the excavations were stopped by the Simitis Government, so that Alexander would not accidentally be found and ruin their plans".

Why? Why would a Greek government not want for the tomb of Alexander to be found?

If indeed this is the tomb of Alexander, what could be the reasons why Greek authorities would step in and block any further progress?
                According to her, because they're traitors. I've seen lengthy interviews of her in Greek TV. Usually she suggests that the Greek Government did not want a discovery that would reinforce nationalism. She also suggests Egypt told her "Well if Greece doesn't approve you...". I lost her when she started claiming Israel was actually behind this.

To be precise, Greece has NO authority in excavations in Egypt, either starting or blocking them. A generic view I have (I didn't manage to find a precise written approach) is this:

While a notable discovery:
                -This is not clearly a tomb (Macedonian or not)
                -Some features in her claims remind me of Amphipolis, there were guardian lions in the entry and a lion above the tomb
                -The "unique decorations" are not so uinque (comparing to Amphipolis), there are no paintings or mosaics
                -The inscriptions (I see in the video) mention ... Artemidoros
                -I've heard this is likely from 2nd Century AD
                -The woman is not reliable or totally crazy (she is somewhere in the middle)

Comment

• Amphipolis
                  Banned
                  • Aug 2014

Originally posted by nushevski77
                  are you all talking about this lady? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwR8cMAWUjY

I watched the full documentary last year; it was pretty interesting. Although I like to think the theory that Alexander's body was taken to st marks basilica has some credence. http://ancientheroes.net/blog/alexander-tomb-conspiracy
                  No, this is Calliope Limnaeou-Papakosta

We were talking about Liana Souvaltzi

As you can see both of them have mostly produced hopes, not publications.

Comment

Working...
                  X