• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Poligiros
    Banned
    • Mar 2014

Interesting thoughts

Hi,

Was at a relatives BBQ last night and the new neighbour came around. Very interesting person who had lived in the UK, Greece and various Balkan nations.

As the conversation progressed we discussed his military background, that he lived in Warrington in the UK and the large military logistics base where he did a lot of business. I started questioning his line of work in the UK and Balkans and told me he was employed by the British military and worked on assignment in Kosovo but couldnt really discuss it further, even though he retired.

To cut a long story short, the topic conversation got on to the border of Kosovo and R Macedonia where he spent a lot of his time. Was extremely suprised to tell me there is a huge Hellenic base that patrols the common border and was established during the Albanian insurgency.

As it turns out he said that Serbia and R Macedonia ONLY trusts the Hellenic government and went against American/UK wishes to have a UK patrol in that particular region and the government of the time requested a Hellenic presence. He mentioned there are UK/US bases further back in Kosovo but the R Macedonian government trusts Greece in terms of not wanting expansion of its borders and to act in their interests.

There was so much information that he divulged as the alcohol started to flow, things about the plutonium mines in Kosovo and not to believe the R Macedonians negative stance on the Hellenic republic as we are the only neighbour that is not eyeing off border changes. He also mentioned federalisation and American interests in the region.

Dont want to get flack here, but am just posting as a matter of interest.
  • Tomche Makedonche
    • Oct 2011

Hey dickhead, I'm pretty sure you were told to use the term Macedonia from now on. I don't think you're exceptionally stupid (well not from a comprehension point of view) so the reasoning behind your continued avoidance of using this term is quite obvious.
    “There’s a time when the operation of the machine becomes so odious, makes you so sick at heart, that you can’t take part, you can’t even passively take part, and you’ve got to put your bodies upon the gears and upon the wheels, upon the levers, upon all the apparatus and you’ve got to make it stop, and you’ve got to indicate to the people who run it, to the people who own it, that unless you’re free, the machine will be prevented from working at all” - Mario Savio

Comment

• George S.
      • Aug 2009

the turks are keeping an eye on the greeks if they put one foot in macedonian territory they may act.
      "Ido not want an uprising of people that would leave me at the first failure, I want revolution with citizens able to bear all the temptations to a prolonged struggle, what, because of the fierce political conditions, will be our guide or cattle to the slaughterhouse"
      GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• spitfire
        Banned
        • Aug 2014

From a geopolitical point of view, the existence of macedonia is in favour of Greece. The name dispute is a lesser issue.
        Maybe it's preferable to have macedonia as a control factor between albanian and bulgarian irredentism, which we all know exists.

And maybe this is what Poligiros neighbour was reffering to.

Comment

• Poligiros
          Banned
          • Mar 2014

Originally posted by Tomche Makedonche View Post
          Hey dickhead, I'm pretty sure you were told to use the term Macedonia from now on. I don't think you're exceptionally stupid (well not from a comprehension point of view) so the reasoning behind your continued avoidance of using this term is quite obvious.
          ??? I don't appreciate your insults!

Was referring to the Kosovo border that is situated on the Republic of Macedonia demarcating boundary. If you are not obtuse then you can articulate the Macedonia context I am discussing, as Kosovo does not border Aegean Macedonia. I am keeping within the forum rules hence I only want topic discussion on this guys experiences and confirmation of military bases that are situated in that part of the world??

In addition, Turkey does all the bidding for the US, so has vast power and US backing whereas Hellenic Republic stands by its principles especially with the Arab world, common knowledge states NATO states cannot attack a fellow member. However, he did state there are huge natural gas and oil deposits all over the Aegean that will change the balance of power with the US in the region in coming years.

Comment

• George S.
            • Aug 2009

Poligiros if you don't use the term macedonia when referring to us you are the one insulting us.poligiris it sounds like bs story.I never heard anything about greek soldiers being so trusted with protecting macedonian borders.WE know how kosovo tried to change the borders and incursed into macedonian land.I have only heard how the greek govt had said in 2001 the greek army is going into macedonian teritory at the first sight of likely albanian incursion on greek soil.So much for sovereignity and protecting its borders.Would anyone trust a cat amongst the pidgeons.I remember at the time The turks said that they won't allow greece to step onto macedonian soil.So who are you kidding on patrolling of macedonian/kosovo borders.Macedonia is fully aware of kosovo incursions that are done regularly.What are your hellenic patrols doing about it nothing?They are looking at their OWN interests.They don't wish to get involved.The old stay put she'll be right applies.
            Whats this trust thing macedonia trusts no one its got its own border patrols with its own security services.Why would they rely on Hellenic patrolsto check up on their borders.??The other thing the greek govt has bought a lot of tanks to protect itself and built a big fence netrwork at considerable cost to the eu all to keep out undesirables.
            Also 15 or so wahabists were kicked out over the border into gevgelia to macedonia.I wouldn't call that good neighbourly relations would you??just happened recently .Dumping of terrorists shouldn't be tolerated.I would like to say thank you for letting us have your terorists especially the wahabists much appreciated.We could do with more of this who needs friends.
            Last edited by George S.; 10-10-2014, 12:26 PM.
            "Ido not want an uprising of people that would leave me at the first failure, I want revolution with citizens able to bear all the temptations to a prolonged struggle, what, because of the fierce political conditions, will be our guide or cattle to the slaughterhouse"
            GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• spitfire
              Banned
              • Aug 2014

That greek patrol is dispatched and is under the command of the peacekeeping KFOR forces there.
              Having been a peacekeeper myself I know that.

I don't see how these forces would get a different approach to that of their commanders.
              We were supposed to become part of the army of the area in the event of a war.

So, Poligiros, this is what I don't get. The governments of Serbia and Macedonia feel safer with the greek patrol of the KFOR? Why and how?

Comment

• Amphipolis
                Banned
                • Aug 2014

Originally posted by George S. View Post
                I have only heard how the greek govt had said in 2001 the greek army is going into macedonian teritory at the first sight of likely albanian incursion on greek soil.

Also 15 or so wahabists were kicked out over the border into gevgelia to macedonia.I wouldn't call that good neighbourly relations would you??just happened recently. Dumping of terrorists shouldn't be tolerated.I would like to say thank you for letting us have your terorists especially the wahabists much appreciated.
                You have a tendency to believe and propagate bulshit stories.

Comment

• Philosopher
                  • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Poligiros View Post
                  Hi,

Was at a relatives BBQ last night and the new neighbour came around. Very interesting person who had lived in the UK, Greece and various Balkan nations.

As the conversation progressed we discussed his military background, that he lived in Warrington in the UK and the large military logistics base where he did a lot of business. I started questioning his line of work in the UK and Balkans and told me he was employed by the British military and worked on assignment in Kosovo but couldnt really discuss it further, even though he retired.

To cut a long story short, the topic conversation got on to the border of Kosovo and R Macedonia where he spent a lot of his time. Was extremely suprised to tell me there is a huge Hellenic base that patrols the common border and was established during the Albanian insurgency.

As it turns out he said that Serbia and R Macedonia ONLY trusts the Hellenic government and went against American/UK wishes to have a UK patrol in that particular region and the government of the time requested a Hellenic presence. He mentioned there are UK/US bases further back in Kosovo but the R Macedonian government trusts Greece in terms of not wanting expansion of its borders and to act in their interests.

There was so much information that he divulged as the alcohol started to flow, things about the plutonium mines in Kosovo and not to believe the R Macedonians negative stance on the Hellenic republic as we are the only neighbour that is not eyeing off border changes. He also mentioned federalisation and American interests in the region.

Dont want to get flack here, but am just posting as a matter of interest.
                  It is obvious to everyone you are a Greek patriot, Poligiros, which is fine. But your refusal to just use "Macedonia" is troublesome on this forum. You are likely to get banned, as you have already been warned multiple times.

As for what you actually wrote, I would say Macedonia is in the midst of wolves, with territorial ambitions among all our neighbors, with the possible exception of Greece. But our Greek friends are intent upon destroying our ethnos and have caused Macedonia much shame and poverty these last many years. These actions are much more dangerous to us than the ambitions of the Albanians, Bulgarians, and Serbians.

Comment

• Amphipolis
                    Banned
                    • Aug 2014

Originally posted by spitfire View Post
                    From a geopolitical point of view, the existence of macedonia is in favour of Greece. The name dispute is a lesser issue.
                    Maybe it's preferable to have macedonia as a control factor between albanian and bulgarian irredentism, which we all know exists.
                    That was Greece’s position in the 90s, not anymore. Samaras has gone as far as stating in a TV interview that Greece wouldn’t mind a greater Albania and Bulgaria.

Originally posted by Philosopher View Post
                    As for what you actually wrote, I would say Macedonia is in the midst of wolves, with territorial ambitions among all our neighbors, with the possible exception of Greece. But our Greek friends are intent upon destroying our ethnos and have caused Macedonia much shame and poverty these last many years. These actions are much more dangerous to us than the ambitions of the Albanians, Bulgarians, and Serbians.
                    I wouldn’t agree about Serbia.

Comment

• spitfire
                      Banned
                      • Aug 2014

Originally posted by Amphipolis View Post
                      That was Greece’s position in the 90s, not anymore. Samaras has gone as far as stating in a TV interview that Greece wouldn’t mind a greater Albania and Bulgaria.
                      Let's not confuse the position of greece with someone who's days are numbered.

Comment

• Phoenix
                        • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Tomche Makedonche View Post
                        "There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into. People are drawn into these enthusiasms by no mechanism that has anything much to do with rational thought..."

Clive James, 'Cultural Amnesia'.
                        p.96. (e-book version)

I read that passage only yesterday and quickly highlighted it.
                        I thought it wouldn't be too long before it would see the light of day here...lol

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
                          • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Poligiros
                          Was referring to the Kosovo border that is situated on the Republic of Macedonia demarcating boundary. If you are not obtuse then you can articulate the Macedonia context I am discussing, as Kosovo does not border Aegean Macedonia. I am keeping within the forum rules...........
                          You refer to Serbia, Greece and Kosovo instead of the Republic of Serbia, the Hellenic Republic and the Republic of Kosovo. Yet you refer to Macedonia as "R Macedonia". You have broken rule (2) of the MTO forum:
                          The nation-state of the Macedonian people is the Republic of Macedonia, and is to be referred to by this official title so long as the 'republic' prefix is consistently applied to other states. Alternative references are the Macedonian Republic, or simply, Macedonia.
                          Our rules are not up for discussion. This is your last warning. Keep it consistent or get lost.
                          In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.

Comment

• Nikolaj
                            • Aug 2014

Originally posted by George S. View Post
                            the turks are keeping an eye on the greeks if they put one foot in macedonian territory they will act.
                            Fixed brat.

Comment

• Poligiros
                              Banned
                              • Mar 2014

Originally posted by spitfire View Post
                              That greek patrol is dispatched and is under the command of the peacekeeping KFOR forces there.
                              Having been a peacekeeper myself I know that.

I don't see how these forces would get a different approach to that of their commanders.
                              We were supposed to become part of the army of the area in the event of a war.

So, Poligiros, this is what I don't get. The governments of Serbia and Macedonia feel safer with the greek patrol of the KFOR? Why and how?
                              Thanks for some valid answers on this discussion.

The topic of conversation revolved around the events of the Albanian insurgencies in 2001 on the Kosovo border, and the ethnic makeup of the bordering bases and patrols.

This bloke stated that the Serbian and Macedonian governments felt as though the US/UK govts totally supported the Albanian position and was acting in their interests. He stated that there was a large Hellenic armed force employed based on the Macedonian govt. directive, as Serbia and Macedonia trust the Hellenic agenda regarding the contentious border demarcation. If federalisation was to occur on the western Macedonia frontier, who do you think NATO US/UK would side with? Who would the Hellenic government side with?

As for the forum member statements regarding Turkey and the perceived threat to the Hellenic republic, logically nobody denies the military power of Turkey. Apart from the Turkish government, the majority of Turks are peaceful and European centric who wouldnt support aggression or war.

However, we are not afraid of the Turkish threat as there are millions of successful Hellenic nationalists and Philhellenes in the diaspora with vast lobbying and financial power that doubles the collective power of our nation. Also consider the large Turkic minorities, the ledger isnt as skewed as you might think.

Regards.

Comment

Working...
                              X