Huge uproar in Greece over a tv documentary called 1821 (Greek independance)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Risto the Great
    • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Voltron View Post
    But from my experiences and from my years being here there is simply nothing to suggest that they identify themselves as Albanians. What do you want me to do ? Conduct an official consensus ?
    Please don't conduct an "official" census, we know how they end up in Greece. There is nothing to suggest that ethnic Vlachs are not Greeks, nor ethnic Macedonians, nor any other minority in Greece. There is no mechanism in Greece for them to be acknowledged. That they were, are or could have been something else once upon a time. This is a strange phenomena that is a defining character of modern Greeks.
    Risto the Great
    MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
    "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com

Comment

• Belomorec
      • Apr 2011

Ironic really that the greek arguement presented here is pointing fingers at the 'powers that be' for trying to 'control' greece, yet the very same powers created the state, language and people in the first place!

Get off your high horse. You people have done NOTHING to deserve being on such. Your 4000 years bullshit is slowly yet surely being discredited and pointed out for the garbage that it is.

Comment

• DedoAleko
        • Jun 2009

The documentary that shocked Greece - SKAI "1821" Eng subs

This documentary tells the truth about the creation of the Greek state in the 19th century. Still many perspectives have to be analyzed far better than till ...

Comment

• George S.
          • Aug 2009

Its a sad and sorry tale of events for greece.They seem to be in transition they aren't sure who they are.Call it an identity crisis.Trying to reinvent itself the trouble is it isn't working.
          "Ido not want an uprising of people that would leave me at the first failure, I want revolution with citizens able to bear all the temptations to a prolonged struggle, what, because of the fierce political conditions, will be our guide or cattle to the slaughterhouse"
          GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• Amphipolis
            Banned
            • Aug 2014

Originally posted by DedoAleko View Post
            The documentary that shocked Greece - SKAI "1821" Eng subs
            This is the way it was marketed (something different, presenting the view of Turkey etc.) but I can't say it shocked anyone, or there was something bizarre or unique about it. It just seemed to have a foreign, non-Greek point-of-view, yet that did not make it pro-Turkish or pro-British or entirely anti-Greek.

It was sponsored by the National Bank (formerly National Bank of Greece) that now makes most of its' income in... Turkey, so they wanted to make a move that would help for a Greek-Turkish approach. Still, I don't think Turks would be able to watch this. It was also sponsored by… -you guessed right- … Soros Foundations through Veremis and his Institute (Eliamep) and many others.

I saw less that two episodes (in total) and also some of the conversations-debates that followed every episode. It wasn't bad, more like a History Channel documentary. If you find something shocking in the episodes-on-line or something worth discussing please show it to us.

====

Comment

• Philosopher
              • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Amphipolis View Post
              This is the way it was marketed (something different, presenting the view of Turkey etc.) but I can't say it shocked anyone, or there was something bizarre or unique about it. It just seemed to have a foreign, non-Greek point-of-view, yet that did not make it pro-Turkish or pro-British or entirely anti-Greek.

It was sponsored by the National Bank (formerly National Bank of Greece) that now makes most of its' income in... Turkey, so they wanted to make a move that would help for a Greek-Turkish approach. Still, I don't think Turks would be able to watch this. It was also sponsored by… -you guessed right- … Soros Foundations through Veremis and his Institute (Eliamep) and many others.

I saw less that two episodes (in total) and also some of the conversations-debates that followed every episode. It wasn't bad, more like a History Channel documentary. If you find something shocking in the episodes-on-line or something worth discussing please show it to us.
              ====
              Amphipolis, what are your thoughts on the modern ethnic composition of Greece?

Comment

• Amphipolis
                Banned
                • Aug 2014

Originally posted by Philosopher View Post
                Amphipolis, what are your thoughts on the modern ethnic composition of Greece?
                I try… not to think about it. I'm basically strongly against illegal immigration which in the past 24 years has been tolerated, almost supported, harbored and enhanced by some political powers.

Comment

• George S.
                  • Aug 2009

The video is meant to show "we get ageneral idea what has happened with the history of Greece. Falsehood and deletions of facts, about the Albanian population of Greece, about the role of Orthodox Church during the revolution etc., is shown in this documentary made by Greek TV SKAI.""It is very revealling of the real greek character if that is shocking so be it.But really it may not be.
                  "Ido not want an uprising of people that would leave me at the first failure, I want revolution with citizens able to bear all the temptations to a prolonged struggle, what, because of the fierce political conditions, will be our guide or cattle to the slaughterhouse"
                  GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• Philosopher
                    • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Amphipolis View Post
                    I try… not to think about it. I'm basically strongly against illegal immigration which in the past 24 years has been tolerated, almost supported, harbored and enhanced by some political powers.
                    Let me rephrase the question. When Greece declared its independence in 1821, do you believe it was a pure Greek state? If not, what percentage do you believe the Greek state was Greek?

Do you believe that non-Greeks like Albanians, Turks, and Macedonians (among others) have significantly contributed to the ethnic stock of modern Greece? Or do you believe Greeks and the Greek state are pure?

Comment

• spitfire
                      Banned
                      • Aug 2014

The documentary is biased because up till then there was no other presentaton on the TV. Not to my knowledge at least, certainly not on a nationwide channel. Ιt was meant as a counterweight.

Starting from the title. A birth of a nation? If they wanted to be sincere and accurate to what they say in the documentary, a re-birth of a nation would be appropriate.

Now don't get this wrong, but this guy Tatsopoulos has also stated that he has f***** half of Athens in an interview, so yeah he's not the most trustworthy person to begin with.
                      No matter how little you think of Greece and the Greeks, Athens is still a big city.

I'd say that they tried to tease.

Comment

• Philosopher
                        • Sep 2008

Originally posted by spitfire View Post
                        Starting from the title. A birth of a nation? If they wanted to be sincere and accurate to what they say in the documentary, a re-birth of a nation would be appropriate.
                        Spitfire, did a state called "Greece" or the "Hellenic Republic" exist in history prior to 1821?

Comment

• spitfire
                          Banned
                          • Aug 2014

Spitfire, did a state called "Greece" or the "Hellenic Republic" exist in history prior to 1821?
                          Nope. Not as a state. That's what I'm saying. The connection to the Hellenes is a giant leap in time.
                          But that doesn't mean it's not valid.

Comment

• Philosopher
                            • Sep 2008

Originally posted by spitfire View Post
                            Nope. Not as a state. That's what I'm saying. The connection to the Hellenes is a giant leap in time.
                            But that doesn't mean it's not valid.
                            Thanks Spitfire. I'm not following, however. What are you trying to state here? You used the word "nation" earlier. Did you mean it as a "nation-state" or a "nation", as in "ethnos"?

Comment

• George S.
                              • Aug 2009

the hellenes came to greece about 800bc and hellenism stopped alltogether when alexander
                              conquered greece in 323bc.Any revival or renaming of hellenism is not the same as it was pre alexander.Calling itself the hellenic republic.When the republic is anything but hellenic.Its just a play on words.Hellenic sounds more better a mystic sounding name.
                              GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• spitfire
                                Banned
                                • Aug 2014

Thanks Spitfire. I'm not following, however. What are you trying to state here? You used the word "nation" earlier. Did you mean it as a "nation-state" or a "nation", as in "ethnos"?
                                Ethnos in greek means nation. I was reffering to the title of the documentary 1821 a birth of a nation. If you watch the documentary it talks about the re-birth of a nation, an "ethnos" as it is in greek.

Therefore the documentary is trying to present something, but it fails (not always) because it is stated that this was a re-birth and not a birth. I'm sure you can see this even at the ending.

Comment

Working...
                                X